• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

If you give them an inch they will take a mile

• Members

Parenting a teenager over here.  The long trusted saying is "if you give them an inch they will take a mile".... I am not discrediting that saying at all. I firmly believe it, however I do not know of any verse or principle in scripture that clearly backs that up to show to my teen.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

• Moderators

Haha, had 5 of my own, been heavily involved in MANY.

They should have said "give them a millimeter and they'll take a trek around the world"!

It's not just teens, it all of us if we let the flesh have its way because the flesh will not be satiated :

Pro 27:20 Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.

• Members

No but seriously, I would sit down with your teen and ask them what there reason for wanting to go against your wishes is. I think to many times we (not just the teens) live our life by the attitude of saying "Well what's wrong with it" instead of the principle of "What's right with it". If there be any virtue and if there be any praise think on these things. Also, your teen needs to remember that they were not entrusted with the Spiritual upbringing of their life, you were.

• Members

I like to point out the consequences of sin and how one sin can so easily lead to another and another. King David is one good example of this. What's wrong with just looking (staring) at the attractive woman? Apparently it didn't take long for lust to set in, which led to David arranging a meeting with the woman (Bathsheba) which turned into a one night stand, which brought about a pregnancy between the two, which David then tried to use trickery (deceit) to cover his sin, when that didn't work David resorted to murder and involving others in that sin, followed by a season of attempting to keep his sins under cover while battling with the guilt of his sin weighing upon him. While David eventually confessed his sin and repented, many troubles and more sin clung to his family.

That's the negative aspect, the I would point to various people in the Bible who did the right thing and show how that worked out for God's glory. Even when a person suffered in some way for doing right, the end result is always good with God.

• Members

Gal_5:9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Pro_14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Jer_17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

there is a verse that indicates that we should avoid all appearance of evil, but I can't seem to come up with the correct key words to find it.

• Moderators

there is a verse that indicates that we should avoid all appearance of evil, but I can't seem to come up with the correct key words to find it.

1Th_5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

• Members

Parenting a teenager over here.  The long trusted saying is "if you give them an inch they will take a mile".... I am not discrediting that saying at all. I firmly believe it, however I do not know of any verse or principle in scripture that clearly backs that up to show to my teen.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Here's one.

Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Ecclesiastes 8:11

• Members

Thank you.  Dealing with wordly dress issues in a male teen.  I tell you the world dresses ladies so scant it is easy to draw the line.... but teen boys, its a little blury. 

Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpeneth iron, so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." I can guarantee that the reason he wants to dress a certain way is because he's trying to please someone who is worldly. You know his heart, if he has a desire to serve God it needs to be brought to his attention that if he continues to seek to please his worldly friend, he himself will become worldly. This is something I just recently had to do with one of the boys in my youth group.