• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
Brethren,

The Kindness and Love of God is a familiar theme in both the Old and New Testaments. Besides the story of King David, Mephiboseth, and the relationship with Jonathan, if there are other examples anyone would like to bring out, or if you would like to further expound on Trapperhoney's thoughts, feel free to bring it for discussion.

Alan

It's good to point out the kindness and love of God is there in the Old Testament. It's very popular today, even among some Christians, to view "the God of the Old Testament" as being different than "the God of the New Testament". The fact is, and the simple reading of the whole Bible makes clear, God is God, He is, was and ever will be the same.

Many, mostly due to ignorance of Scripture, think of God in the Old Testament as an "angry, wrathful God", while thinking of God in the New Testament as all "love, peace, acceptance and tolerance". This, of course, is incorrect.

Throughout the Old Testament God tells the people what's best for them. Some try to follow and obey the Lord, which is best, but for the most part we see the people continually going their own way. Yet even with the people being disobedient, turning to false gods and other wicked ways, God always offers them the opportunity to repent and turn to Him. God continually points out the consequences of sinful living, warning the people to turn from such while offering forgiveness to them if they repent and follow Him.

That's not a God of anger and wrath, that's a God of love trying to show His kindness. How patient was God throughout the Old Testament in giving the people many opportunities to turn to Him before He allowed the consequences of their sins to fully impact them! That's a God of love and kindness.

• Members

Brethren,

The Kindness and Love of God is a familiar theme in both the Old and New Testaments. Besides the story of King David, Mephiboseth, and the relationship with Jonathan, if there are other examples anyone would like to bring out, or if you would like to further expound on Trapperhoney's thoughts, feel free to bring it for discussion.

Alan

I will certainly be thinking on it, but I also look forward to any one else's insights....

• Members

The Kindness, Love & Mercy of God in Isaiah

As God is not only Holy, righteous and just, He is merciful, full of kindness, and love. Due to the matchless love of God mankind can obtain eternal life through the redemption of God our Saviour. This love, kindness, and mercy is not only exhibited in the New Testament by the Lord Jesus Christ, but is observed in numerous episodes given in the Old Testament by God the Father.

We will briefly look at the lovingkindness and mercy towards the nation of Israel in the book of Isaiah.

Sinful in the Eyes of God

In Titus 3:3 we clearly see that due to our sins all mankind deserves to spend eternity in hell as punishment against a just, righteous, and holy God.

The nation of Israel at the time of Isaiah was completely backslidden and worthy of the judgment of God. Isaiah 1:4, “Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the LORD, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backwards.”

Mercy & God’s Choosing

In spite of the corruption of the nation of Israel God would show His mercy to them. “For the LORD will have mercy on Jacob, and will yet choose Israel, and set them in their own land: and the strangers shall be joined unto them, and they shall cleave to the house of Jacob. And the people shall take them, and bring them to their place: and the house of Israel shall possess them in the land of the LORD for servants and handmaids: and they shall take them captives, whose captives they were; and they shall rule over their oppressors.” Isaiah 14:1 and 2

This promise and prophecy that the nation of Israel would once again dwell in their land and have rule over the people who were once their captors has not been fulfilled historically at any time since the time of Isaiah. After the Babylonian captivity this promise and prophecy was not fulfilled nor any time since that age.

The blindness of the nation of Israel is only temporary and the nation of Israel will one day be saved. Romans 11:25 & 26, “For I would not, brethren, that ye ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob.” Romans 11:25 & 26 Jeremiah 31:31-34, Isaiah 27:9 and Psalm 14:7

The time of God’s choosing is still yet future. The time of God’s choosing to restore and exalt the nation of Israel with these wonderful promises is during the Millennial Reign of Christ as recorded in Revelation 20:4-6

God, the Saviour of Israel

Here these wonderful words, and promise, from God. “Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no Saviour.” Isaiah 43:10 & 11

This is why we read in Titus 3:4, “But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward men appeared.” God, in the person of the Lord Jesus, became our Saviour!

The Grace, Mercy, and Judgment of God in Isaiah

Throughout the book of Isaiah, it is very clear that the Israel was completely unworthy of salvation or any blessing from God. As with salvation, only by the Grace of God can we obtain salvation. “And therefore will the LORD wait, that he may be gracious unto you, and therefore will he be exalted, that he may have mercy upon you: for the LORD is a God of judgment: blessed are all they that wait for him.” Isaiah 30:18

The Kindness of God in Isaiah

“I will mention the lovingkindness of the LORD, and the praises of the LORD, according to all the LORD hath bestowed on us, and the great goodness toward the house of Israel, which he hath bestowed on them according to his mercies, and according to the multitude of the lovingkindness.” Isaiah 63:7

Isaiah realized that the kindness of God is full of love. Furthermore, even though the nation of Israel did not deserve any of the blessings of God, through His mercy, God would bestow great blessings on the nation of Israel in the future.

Alan

• Members

Good Works

Verse 8

(8) This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

After salvation, it is the will of God for all believers to have good works. God saved us in order for us to have eternal life in heaven and a good and profitable life for Christ, and for others, while on this earth. “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.” Ephesians 2:10

As with many other scriptures, some religious people try and do good works in order to get saved or to stay saved. This is unfortunate. Some believe that they can be baptized, or try and keep the Ten Commandments, help the poor, or some religious ceremony in order to gain, or work for, salvation. But, good works cannot save our souls or keep us saved. God wants us to do good works towards others out of a proper motive.

In the early days of the missionary movement in China, due to the animosity of the people, one of the methods used to work in China was to start orphanages in order to help the people. Due to the practice of infanticide, (the killing of an infant, usually unwanted female babies), the missionaries were able to make inroads with the people. God used this good work for His honor and glory.

One of these early missionaries in China, Dr. Elliott I. Osgood, was an evangelist and a physician in the northern part of China, (Chu Cheo, Anhwui Province), for eight years. In his biography of those years he gives this illustration of a testimony of one of these orphan girls at a commencement at the Nanking Christian Girls’ School in his book, “Breaking Down Chinese Walls.”

The last speaker on the program was a little ten year old girl whose part it was to explain the purpose of Christian missions in opening schools for girls. She spoke to an audience, the large part of whom were atheists or idolaters. Many of them had sanctioned the frequent practice in China of destroying their girl babies…She, herself, had been thrown out by her parents and left to die. Had it not been for the work of missionaries she would have long since been lost in the multitude of babes destroyed by the practice of infanticide.”[1]

The good works done for, and in the name of Christ, will be fruit in this life with the salvation of souls and in the hearts and lives of those who do them. As Paul mentioned, “These things are good and profitable unto all men.”

Besides helping, or being in, our government, that Paul had previously mentioned to Titus, some examples of the good works mentioned in the scriptures are as follows. Please note that we need to remember that our good works are a product of our salvation in Christ not to gain eternal life. Our works prove our faith, “Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect.” James 2:22

Other Examples of Good Works

1. Being, or Helping, a Pastor, Evangelist, or Missionary. 1 Timothy 3:1 tells us, “This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.” The work of the ministry is of the Lord and those who are in it, or help those who are, are accomplishing a good work. The work of the Lord is profitable to our spiritual life and to the lives of those that we minister to.

3. Helping Others. Acts 9:39. Dorcas is a good example of how she helped the physical needs of those around her. She is an example of what Paul said to Timothy concerning the widows of the church. “Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have washed the saints’ feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.” 1 Timothy 5:10. Godly ladies are always a blessing to a church.

3. Financially. The book of Philemon. Philemon was a good example of a man who was blessed financially and helped those who he could. Philemon used his financial blessings to help those around him and helped Paul, and others, in the ministry when they had a financial need.

4. As we saw in the area of missions, medical doctors, and other forms of good works done on the mission field. A lot of times, a country may not let missionaries in to preach the gospel, but they will let in medical doctors, language teachers, business people and other occupations in order to help their country socially. God has used these avenues of worldly service for His honor and glory.

Matthew 10:42

After salvation, there are many good works that a Christian may do in our service to Christ that the Lord will bless us for in this life and in heaven. The Lord Jesus taught, “And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.” Matthew 10:42

[1] Osgood, Dr. Elliott I. Breaking Down Chinese Walls. (New York: Fleming H. Revell Co., 1908) Page 137-138.

• Members

Subjects to Avoid

Titus 3:9

Verse 9

(9) But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

God wants His people to have some wisdom and discretion in their lives, speech, and actions and in their relationships with other people. He wants us to avoid foolishness and those who are foolish in their actions, speech, and their silly questions. H. A. Ironside said, “It is easy to give one’s self to the defense of certain views which may not in themselves be of a sanctifying character, but the servant of Christ is exhorted to avoid everything of a merely contentious nature, and first of all to have in mind the edification of the people of God.”[1]

When a person is not interested in getting saved, or learning the truth, a lot of times they will ask foolish religious questions in order to try to intimidate the one who is trying to witness, or speak, to them about Christ and the Bible.

Fools will ask foolish questions and will try to get in a religious argument with others. Remember what Paul had previously told Titus in 1:10? “For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcism.”

Also, Paul warns Titus to avoid those who are contentious and who are involved in genealogies. He is specifically warning us about religious groups such as the Mormon Church. The Mormons are noted for their genealogical record searching. Searching genealogies is vanity in the sight of God and is usually used in order to bolster a group’s heritage or culture in comparison with others.

We need to realize that every person, no matter what nation, culture or background every person is a descendent from Adam. Therefore, all people, cultures, nations have the same genealogical background.

Carnal people, lost or saved, have a tendency to want to argue about the scriptures. Paul mentions here specifically that there are those who are contentious and want to strive, (with verbal arguments), about the law of God. We need to remember three things about the Law of God. The Law of God is:

1. Perfect. “Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it.” Psalm 119:40. The word of God, which includes the Law, is perfect in all aspects. The only thing wrong about the law was that even though it showed us we were sinners, it could not in itself save us. It showed us that a sacrifice was needed in order to save us. The law is perfect; we are not. “For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh to God. Hebrews 7:19

2. Good. “But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully.” 1 Timothy 1:8. The Law was given to show us that we are sinners by nature and that only by trusting in God for our salvation could we be saved.

3. If used properly, the law can convert us. “The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.” Psalm 19:7. The Old Testament saint who trusted in God realized, as we should realize, that the law was perfect, it showed us we were sinners, and that God required a sacrifice in order to obtain salvation. If they, and we, trusted in God, then He would save our souls.

Paul knew that those who were contentious about the law, or any part of the scriptures, were just like the Scribes, Pharisees, Sadducees, and hypocrites. These types of people are not trusting in God; they are trusting in themselves and only use the Bible to further their own beliefs. In our age, we have groups, like the Jehovah’s Witnesses and Mormons, who delight in getting in religious arguments to prove that they are right and that you are wrong. Paul told Titus, and us, that arguing with them is unprofitable and vain.

Solomon said, “The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with.” Proverbs 17:14

[1] Ironside, H. A. Timothy, Titus & Philemon. (Neptune, NJ: Loizeaux Brothers: 1947) Page 272-273.

• Members

Whenever I hear or read the Law is perfect, I immediately think of this passage:

Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

Psa 19:8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.

Psa 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

Psa 19:10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

In junior church many years ago we had a couple who taught us and they taught us that the Jews used to sing the psalms in their worship, and they taught us this passage set to music.  It has stuck in my head all these years.  A very good passage to set to memory.

• Members

Whenever I hear or read the Law is perfect, I immediately think of this passage:

Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

Psa 19:8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.

Psa 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

Psa 19:10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

In junior church many years ago we had a couple who taught us and they taught us that the Jews used to sing the psalms in their worship, and they taught us this passage set to music.  It has stuck in my head all these years.  A very good passage to set to memory.

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD,

I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

• Members

Trapperhoney and beameup,

Thank you for your posting. Great verses!

I especially like Psa 19:8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.

King David knew that the true knowledge of the scriptures, whether it be the Law or Grace, was a belief from the heart; the inward part of man.

Jeremiah 31:31-34

Hebrews 8:7-13

Alan

• Members

Titus 3:10-14

Avoid Heretics

Verse 10 and 11

(10) A man that is a heretic after the first and second admonition reject;

(11) Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.

Throughout his Epistles, Paul emphasized that the man of God should study the scriptures in order to learn sound doctrine. When we learn sound doctrine, we can learn the truth about God and please Him.

One the other side, when a person learns, and teaches doctrinal error, he is a heretic. If possible, he must be twice confronted with his doctrinal error and given the opportunity to change his belief. If he does not change, then he must be marked as a heretic and avoided. Paul brought out this principle very clearly in Romans 16:17, “Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.” If a man is a true man of God, then he will teach against heretical doctrine.

We need to take the example of the Lord Jesus. The Lord Jesus did not spend the majority of His time in debates with the Scribes, Sadducees, and Pharisees of His day. The Lord Jesus said concerning the heretics of His day, “Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.” Matthew 15:14

But, when they, like Nicodemus in John chapter 3, earnestly sought Him to learn then He discussed with them the scriptures. When He was able to preach against their hypocrisy, as in Matthew chapter 23, He did so. But He spent the majority of His time with those who were earnestly seeking the God’s word and would listen to Him with a willing heart. It takes a spiritual walk with the Lord in order to discern who to spend time with and who not to spend time.

The man who stays a heretic is spiritually subverted and sinning against God. God, in His own timing, will judge all heretics and condemn them for their error. We need to realize that sound doctrine is a must for the man of God and that God does not take lightly bad doctrine. The man of God needs to fear God and not the religious denominations of this world.

H. A. Ironside, in his commentary on Titus also properly noted that being overly concerned with religious theories, (unsound doctrine), will harm our spiritual walk with Christ. He said, “But occupation with idle theories is of no value toward a holy life.”[1

Also, it would do us well to study, and apply to our hearts, Ecclesiastes 5:1-11. Ecclesiastes 5:1-11 explains to all of us that we should not vow, or enter into the ministry, lightly. We must take careful consideration of what we are doing and whom we are serving.

King Solomon also said, concerning the ministry, “It is a snare to the man who devoureth that which is holy, and after vows to make inquiry.” Proverbs 20:25. The word of God, and the ministry, is holy unto the Lord, and He expects us to take the scriptures and the ministry seriously. When a man continues to believe, and teach, unsound doctrine, then he is a heretic and must be avoided.

Do you remember when the Lord Jesus spoke to the Sadducees in Matthew 22:23-33? The Sadducees were heretical in their doctrines. In this specific case, they did not believe in the physical resurrection, (like the modern day Jehovah's Witnesses), of the saints. They did not know the scriptures nor did they know God in their hearts, Matthew 22:29. The Lord Jesus openly marked them as heretics and warned His disciples to avoid them.

When it comes to modern day heretical doctrines, the man of God needs to warn the people and mark them who are heretics. We need to note that we are not talking about personal practices or agendas. Some examples of the modern day heretical denominations are:

1. The Mormons.

2. The Jehovah's Witnesses.

3. Charismatics that talk in gibberish, (tongues). Please note that the biblical gift of tongues as the ability to talk in another language by the power of the Holy Spirit.

4. Ministers who deride the Authorized Version of the Bible and promote new versions of the Bible.

5. Seventh Day Adventists.

6. Any denomination that teaches a person must work for their salvation.

7. Any religion that practices idolatry.

The man of God who desires to serve the Lord must learn sound doctrine and avoid those who teach unsound doctrine.

Godly Saints

Verse 12-14.

(12) When I shall send Artemas unto thee, or Tychicus, be diligent to come unto me to Nicopolis: for I have determined there to winter.

(13) Bring Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their journey diligently, that nothing be wanting unto them.

(14) And let ours also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, that they be not unfruitful.

Paul and Titus had some other mutual friends and associates that often traveled with Paul or for Paul to various locations. Paul is now informing Titus that some of these men, Artemas, and/or, Tychicus would be coming to visit him and that Titus should take care of their physical needs and too bring them to another city, Nicopolis. Paul was a very busy man in his missionary travels and is now in the process of planning his itinerary with the help of Titus.

One of the blessings that Paul discovered is that as you preach the word of God in its fullness that God will bless and that others will be saved and have a desire to serve the Lord. This is true in our age as well. In addition to some of the other notable missionaries previously mentioned, in the history of the missionary endeavor to the Chinese people we have men like Robert Morrison, (1782- 1834). Robert Morrison is considered one the first missionaries to China and was greatly used of the Lord in the early stages of Chinese missions.

Robert Morrison first arrived in Canton, China on September 4, 1807 when he was 25 years old. His initial trials were severe from fellow Englishmen and Chinese alike. Here is a good example. In his effort to fully immerse himself in Chinese in order to win them to Christ, he started wearing Chinese clothing instead of Western type clothing. This in itself created quite a stir among those that he lived near. Morrison had a true pioneer missionary spirit that is still an example to us today. The career of Morrison was a blessing to all those that he touched. Due to his exemplary live among the Chinese and the good that he brought to society, the largest mountain on Taiwan was named Mt. Morrison. Regrettably, though, it was renamed later on to Mt. Jade.

Another one of the first pioneer medical missionaries to China was Dr. Peter Parker, (1804-1888). Through his efforts, a fine hospital was built in Canton, China and he was very helpful at times to the American government administration in China. It was said of Dr. Parker that he, “…opened China at the point of the scalpel.”[2] Through Dr. Parker’s efforts, the door to China was opened for other missionaries to follow.

One thing about Paul that is helpful for us in our day is that he was a very diligent. The definition for diligent is; (1) Steady in application to business; constant in effort or exertion to accomplish what is undertaken; assiduous; attentive; industrious; not idle or negligent.

Paul was a very diligent person in his service to God, before and after salvation. He was not slothful, (lazy), in any way and did not care to be around those who were slothful in their work or character. Paul took Proverbs 22:29 to heart; “Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; and shall not stand before mean men.”

It is interesting to note that in the scriptures God saved, and called into His service many types of individuals. A lot of them were already diligent doing their business. There is an old saying, “If you want a job done, give it to a busy man.”

Here are some examples.

1. Paul was a very diligent Pharisee who persecuted Christians before he got saved.

2. David was a very diligent sheepherder before God called him to be king.

3. Moses was a highly intelligent, diligent leader when he fled Egypt.

4. Joseph was diligent serving his father, and then diligently serving Potiphar, then diligently serving in prison. Then God used Joseph to serve Pharaoh as the second in command in Egypt.

5. Our greatest example, the Lord Jesus, was diligently doing His Father's business before God used Him for His greatest work.

What I am trying to get across is this, God, nor Paul, has no use for a lazy, slothful man in the ministry. I cannot find in the Bible, not even one time, where God used a lazy man as a prophet or minister. “The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat.” Proverbs 13:4. A careful reading of Proverbs 6:6-11 may prove beneficial to those who have a problem with slothfulness. “Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.” Psalms 119:4

Paul then again related that we are to, “…maintain good works for necessary uses, that they may be not unfruitful.” We need to realize that as we have faith and works then God will bless our efforts. It is the will of God that we bear fruit for His honor and glory.

There are two types of spiritual fruit that comes naturally as we labor for Christ.

The first type of fruit is the fruits of the Spirit.

Paul said in Galatians 5:22 & 23, “And the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.” As we walk in the Spirit, the Holy Spirit gives us fruit. The fruit that He gives us is profitable for us spiritually and then helps us in our lives. It is the will of God for all Christians to be fruitful and has provided the Holy Spirit to bear fruit in our lives as we serve Christ.

The second type of fruit is the winning of souls to Christ. Proverbs 11:30 states, “The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.”

It is the will of God for Christians to be soul-winners, to bear spiritual fruit. This is natural sequence of events for those who are truly working for the Lord in the Spirit. A classic example of this is in the life of Dr. Fred S. Donnelson, (1887-1974).

Dr. Donnelson, along with his wife, Effie, (1898-1994), first arrived in China in 1933. Through severe trials, including the internment during World War II in a Japanese prison camp, the Donnelsons faithfully served the Lord in the land that He called them to serve. They finally had to flee, for the third and final time, China during the Communist takeover in 1949. Between 1949 and 1952, the communist government caused all missionaries to leave China, and or killed some through false accusations. Missionary belongings, homes and churches were confiscated and the local Christian populace persecuted by imprisonment or death.

During their years on China, the Donnelson’s worked tirelessly in their efforts to win the Chinese to Christ. God blessed their efforts abundantly; they were very profitable in the sight of God with an abundance of spiritual fruit. In her book, Moongate: Glimpses of Missionary Life and Work, Mrs. Donnelson relates one of their experiences through the testimony of a Chinese convert. Please note that in China most missionaries are referred to as, “Pastor.”

He [the Chinese convert] said, I am happy tonight because Jesus sent Pastor Dan (Mr. Donnelson) all the way from America…One time they came and stayed two weeks and held a tent meeting in this town [Sing Teng] of 50,000 people. I was the worst sinner among them. My family had spent a great deal of money at the temples and before the idols, hoping that they could reform me, and make me a good man…That first night when the gospel was preached I was told of One who could take away this sin and make me anew. I went forward and they prayed for me and I accepted Christ as my own personal Saviour, and I have truly found life in Him. Because of this great miracle all of my family have accepted Christ.[3]

The salvation of souls is the result, or fruit, of walking in the Spirit. It as both profitable in the physical realm and is profitable in the spiritual life as well.

Benediction

Verse 15

(15) All that are with me salute thee. Greet them that love us in the faith. Grace be with you all. Amen.

Titus was a man of God and was the pastor of a New Testament Church. Titus had worked hard in his service to Christ was a spiritual man. Paul was very thankful for the way that God had blessed and used Titus. Paul and the people that were with him, saluted him, and let Titus know that they were behind him in every way possible.

Brethren, we ought to be behind those who are faithfully serving the Lord in positions of leadership in the church. The ministry is not easy and those who are faithful in doctrine, in service and in their lives ought to be publicly congratulated.

Paul mentioned to Titus that we ought to love the saints. In the Bible, anybody, in the Old and in the New Testament, who was saved, was called a saint.

Here is a list of other things that every saint needs to love.

1. The Bible. Psalms 119:140

2. Our Wives. Ephesians 5:25

3. Love God. Exodus 20:6

5. Love our Neighbors and Strangers. Leviticus 19: 18 and 34

6. Love God’s Salvation. Psalm 40:16

7. Wisdom. Proverbs 4:5 and 6

8. Love to do Good. Amos 5:15

9. Love Mercy. Micah 6:8

10. Love the Truth and Peace. Zechariah 8:16-19

11. Love our Enemies. Matthew 5:44

12. Love the Lord Jesus. Ephesians 6:24

13. Wives, Love your Husbands and Children. Titus 2:4

14. Love Life. 1 Peter 3:10

15. Jerusalem, the Jewish Nation. Psalms 122:6

Paul realized, and wrote throughout his Epistles, that there is nothing greater than love. 1 Corinthians 13:13 tells us, “And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.”

As Paul concluded his Epistles with the grace of God bestowed upon his hearers, I would also like to conclude this commentary on the Book of Titus. “Grace be unto you all.”

[1] Ironside, H. A. Timothy, Titus and Philemon. (Neptune, NJ: Loizeaux Brothers, 1957) Page 272.

[2] Broomhall, A. J. Hudson Taylor & China’s Open Century. (Vol. 1 Great Britain: Overseas Missionary Fellowship, 1981) Page 234.

[3] Donnelson, Effie A. Moongate: Glimpses of Missionary Life and Work. (Springfield, MO: n.p., 1976) Page 23-24.

Edited by Alan
miss-used hyphen aug. 22, 2016

• Members

A major problem we face today is the over-use of "heretic", applying it where it doesn't actually fit. People can have differences of opinion without it being heresy. What is considered heresy differs from one church to another. A person can walk into one IFB church and state their view and be called a heretic and yet walk into another IFB church down the street and not be considered a heretic.

There is also a difference between some having a differing view on a matter and someone who actively tries to stir up strife in a church to get the churches official position changed to suit their view. The latter would be involved in heresy.

In some churches too much time is spent looking for heretics, apostates and others to strike at rather than working to pursue personal holiness among the congregation and growth in Christ together. We need to be pursuing first things first and dealing with the others when they do actually raise their heads; and deal with them swiftly rather than allowing them to simmer to a boil before taking action.

• Members

Brethren,

As a benediction song, in the hope that the study on Titus has been a blessing to your heart, and a benefit in your walk with Christ, I would like to conclude this study with the song, "The Lord Bless You and Keep You."

May God richly bless you all.

Alan

Edited by Alan
exchange a word grammer

• Members

Brethren,

As a benediction song, in the hope that the study on Titus has been a blessing to your heart, and a benefit in your walk with Christ, I would like to conclude this study with the song, "The Lord Bless You and Keep You."

May God richly bless you all.

Alan

Ian (Covenanter) likes you choice of music to end this study,

• Members

2. A Pattern of Good Works.

The good works that are of a spiritual nature is faithful in church attendance, soul winning, Bible studies, prayer, and faithful giving of their tithes and offerings and helping others in their time of needs. The young man that truly wants to follow the lord needs to be consistent in his service in the church.

Interesting that tithing is added to the text where the author of the epistle, The Apostle Paul,  never taught tithing in any of his epistles.  People gotta make the Bible fit their false doctrines, I suppose.