• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Another problem area in most churches which needs addressed.

Today there is often the argument of who are "young men"? When the epistle was written, and for nearly 20 centuries afterward, those in what we call their "teens" were considered young men. In today's youth worshiping culture that's no longer the case and this has greatly impacted churches. Even in many churches today the idea of being a child practically until out of high school and then still being considered a youth until well into their 20s or 30s is all too common.

I've noticed over the past several years many ads for IFB youth camps, retreats and events have taken on a look similar to that of worldly ads for those age groups in that they highlight youthfulness, youthful play, excitement, adventure. Anything regarding Christ, salvation, growth in the Lord, Bible study, prayer, are all in the small print, if mentioned at all in the ads.

As mentioned previously, it's difficult these days to get mature men in Christ involved with the youth or young men of a church. Some churches even heavily segregate most of the congregation, likely with good intentions but also with some bad consequences. There are groups for "seniors", women's groups, married women groups, single women groups, a men's group that's often more older men, etc. While there can be a place for some of these, such shouldn't come at the expense of separating the boys and young men from the older men.

Seeing some of the problems we can know what needs to be done but how do we get it done?

When do we start expecting boys to start acting like young men? How do we get the older men to stop pretending they are 17 or 21 and "cool"? How do we get both groups to take their God given roles seriously?

Then, how do we get the church moms to agree their "precious little baby boys" (13-18+) should be trained to be young men, be putting childish things behind, taking on more and more adult attitudes, manners and responsibilities? In some cases even the dads have problems in this area.

Should a high school aged Sunday school or youth group be much more like the pre-high school groups or the adult groups?

How do we instruct the young men in our churches to be godly young men while treating them like larger sized children?

Even with my own children it's been a tough job because they would get one message at home (along the biblical lines in this study) but would get contrary messages everywhere else; often even in church. I actually had a neighbor accuse me of child abuse because my two sons, about 7 and 12 at the time, were helping me rake leaves in our yard! That's how many think these days, even in our churches.

I'm 100% for parents and churches instructing, training and bringing up children and young men and women in accord with Scripture. This should be a natural extension of helping to lead our children to salvation in Christ and discipleship.

• Members

Brethren,

John81 brought out some good valid points in his above post.

Young men need to be mature in the faith and in their behavoir. Sometimes, it is apparent that a lot of our Youth Activities, Church Camps, VBS's, and other youth activities are not maturing them in the faith but are just letting the youth to have fun in a Christian environment.

Anybody else have some thoughts along this line of discussion? Do you agree or disagree? What can be done about it? At what age is a young man a young man and not an adult? Are we expecting too much?

Is the answer that our churches should have stronger Bible studies? Is the answer that we should re-direct church Youth Activity efforts into less games and more intense Bible groups? Maybe re-direct our your activities into organized soul-winning efforts?  Any areas of discussion that I missed? Can anybody give us good examples of Youth Activities that have proven beneficial in developing mature, doctrinally sound, young men?

Alan

Edited by Alan
spelling (twice)

• Members

Forget carrying a Bible with you to church, never mind even having one at home (no time to read that anyway), just listen to a pleasant sermon at church, maybe catch a pleasant radio or TV preacher, play some Hillsong music, toss a little prayer in here and there, say "amen" once in awhile, and there ya go, following Jesus with no need to bother with that pesky doctrine.

Sounds more like a huge water slide they are on with no sure idea of where it leads or ends. In other words: DANGER!

I have never understood how someone can come to church without their own Bible.  To me, that indicates that there is no sincere intention to attempt to engage with the sermon.  The pastor at the church we were at several year ago didn't see anything wrong with it.  He commented that they tend to use the Bibles in the pews.  It still boggles my mind.  I have to have a Bible I'm used to with me, one I can mark up, etc.

• Members

Brethren,

John81 brought out some good valid points in his above post.

Young men need to be mature in the faith and in their behavoir. Sometimes, it is apparent that a lot of our Youth Activities, Church Camps, VBS's, and other youth activities are not maturing them in the faith but are just letting the youth to have fun in a Christian environment.

Anybody else have some thoughts along this line of discussion? Do you agree or disagree? What can be done about it? At what age is a young man a young man and not an adult? Are we expecting too much?

Is the answer that our churches should have stronger Bible studies? Is the answer that we should re-direct church Youth Activity efforts into less games and more intense Bible groups? Maybe re-direct our your activities into organized soul-winning efforts?  Any areas of discussion that I missed? Can anybody give us good examples of Youth Activities that have proven beneficial in developing mature, doctrinally sound, young men?

Alan

The worst thing we can do is segregate the kids from the church as a whole.  We have been mostly in small churches, churches that did not have children's programs (because there were barely any children there) so our son grew up in church with adults.  As a result, he has always been "part" of the church.  We started our current church 2-3 years ago, our son was the only youth there, and they started putting him to work.  He takes up the offering.  There does need to be activities for the youth, because they have different interests and needs specific to their age group, but it should be at a different day/time, not as an alternative to being in with the adults.  Think of the church as a one-room schoolhouse.  The younger kids would learn more quickly because they would hear the lessons for the older, and the older would learn their subjects more thoroughly because they would help tutor the younger ones in the subjects they were learning.  The one room schoolhouse epitomized discipleship.

Growing up we would have BYF (Baptist Youth Fellowship) before evening service, then we were in the evening service with the adults.  The youth were encouraged to go to prayer circle and to sing in the choir.  The young boys typically took up the offering.  Every fifth Sunday the youth would conduct the service, with the youth pastor giving the message unless the youth had some kind of pageant to put on.  It worked very well at our church.  But that was many years ago.

• Members

Many pastors seem afraid to preach on this! So much radical feminism has crept into the churches that even though they are saved many older women carry over much of that radical feminism they grew up in the midst of, or even participated in years ago. It's so common to see the older women chop their hair off so they look like a man, especially from the back, to gather together in a group with little opening for others, and to either try and backseat drive or outright run the church.

Those older women in the Lord who actually live for the Lord and keep His Word stand out in stark, beautiful contrast to those above. Not only their godly hair, but their godly demeanor and servants hearts shine bright the light of Christ. These women are open to befriending the younger women, to hear their questions, to spend time helping them and to disciple them.

What a great blessing a few mature godly women are in a church! I don't understand why some Christian women think being a biblical, godly women is demeaning or beneath them.

This is an example of how strong a foothold the world's philosophy has in the church.  The idea of being in submission to one's husband and in submission to the leadership of the church does not sit well with most women today.  You have to start with the little girls and raise them up in the biblical role of women.  You need godly women who believe and practice their biblical role to teach the young women and to tell and demonstrate to the older ladies.  I'm afraid that without the conviction of the Holy Spirit the women who are already established in this evil mindset can't be reasoned with and won over to the truth -- it is deeply ingrained.  If the men try to tackle the issue it tends to build resentment.  That is not to say that preachers avoid the topic, but it does need to be a team effort.  But probably the most effective means is to have the older godly women training, teaching and working with the younger.

• Members

Re Titus 2:3-5

Now being in the "aged women" category, I can look back and more readily see what would've been much more helpful to me when I was a young lady.  Indeed, when I was young... "radical feminism" (I call it "grave disobedience") was beginning to be practiced in full force.  Trying to consider the "whole matter" over the years while striving to personally be obedient in a way pleasing and glorifying to the Lord, I've found that there are roots of disobedience by both genders.  There is no excuse or justification for either.  Just as in the beginning in the garden - Adam blamed Eve, and Eve blamed the serpent, etc. - the "natural" part of us wants to escape personal responsibility for our own areas of disobedience.  Without question, disobedience (sin) needs to be warned and preached against!  However, it must be motivated by truth, yet immersed with a Godly attitude and love considering one's self.  Much wisdom must be sought after, to prevent a "false balance" of responsibility.

As a young lady maturing in the Lord, more times than not I was quite discouraged by the "warnings" from the pulpit against "radical feminism".  From my experience, there was an extreme of responsibility put on the saved women while there was rather a void of balance concerning the need for the saved men to lead women as God set forth for them to.  So, what would've been more encouraging to me personally?  Over the years the Lord has taught me much about the need to focus on His truths above over-focusing on my weaknesses, failures, and sin (Eph. 4:22-24 - "That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; * And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; * And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness").  It would've been encouraging to not only be challenged by the "warnings" against disobedience, but also to be encouraged by the blessings and joys of being obedient.  Negativity and dark perspectives come easily for mankind, but "looking to the Author and Finisher of our faith" encourages favorable hope and reminds us of the triumph we can have in Christ.

Ps. 18:28 - "For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness."  Ps. 119:105 - "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."  Ps. 43:3 - "O send out thy light and thy truths: let THEM lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles."

I want to diligently concentrate and focus on the lamp for my feet and the light for my path (the Word), for then the darkness will be enlightened.  I want to focus more on where I need to go in obedience than on where I shouldn't go in disobedience.  There has been a very real void of zeal towards the absolute blessing, the joy, the sweetness, and the "reward" of being obedient to the scriptural roles that God has commanded of us. God did not set up the roles to cause misery and to tempt rebellion, but rather to encourage trusting Him, and to be able to rejoice in our respective roles.  Each role that God has given to us ought to be celebrated for what it is, for each is for our own good and each defines clarity to prevent the very chaos that prevails today.  Do each of us truly, genuinely know the joy and privilege of getting to submit and be in obedience to our particular roles?  We all ought to rejoice and appreciate with a Godly fear and trust, that HIS ways truly are far above ours!

"A good leader is first a good follower of Jesus Christ."  "My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. * And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him" (I John 3:18-19).   

• Members

I have never understood how someone can come to church without their own Bible.  To me, that indicates that there is no sincere intention to attempt to engage with the sermon.  The pastor at the church we were at several year ago didn't see anything wrong with it.  He commented that they tend to use the Bibles in the pews.  It still boggles my mind.  I have to have a Bible I'm used to with me, one I can mark up, etc.

Some years ago when we had to look for a new church home my oldest son and I visited a church to find out more about it. My son and I were literally the only ones either of us saw with a Bible that morning. Even the preacher didn't bring a Bible to the podium! The preacher read Bible verses he copied on paper, and used a half-dozen or more verses. They had two big screens which they showed the verses, from the various Bible versions, as the pastor read them. It's no wonder nobody bothered to carry a Bible, they would have to carry at least six Bibles to church to be able to follow the sermon.

We recently purchased new pew Bibles for those who need them, but most of the regulars carry their own. We have a pretty good attendance for our adult Sunday school classes, which pretty much requires a Bible to be able to follow along and participate.

Our church put up a retractable screen a couple of years ago so they can put the Bible verses on the screen and the words to the hymns for our growing number of members with old eyes that can no longer see well enough to read from the hymnal or a Bible. We are also looking into updating the lighting to try and help those who, if they had better lighting, could read their large print Bibles.

We always carry our own Bibles and always have.

• Members

The worst thing we can do is segregate the kids from the church as a whole.  We have been mostly in small churches, churches that did not have children's programs (because there were barely any children there) so our son grew up in church with adults.  As a result, he has always been "part" of the church.  We started our current church 2-3 years ago, our son was the only youth there, and they started putting him to work.  He takes up the offering.  There does need to be activities for the youth, because they have different interests and needs specific to their age group, but it should be at a different day/time, not as an alternative to being in with the adults.  Think of the church as a one-room schoolhouse.  The younger kids would learn more quickly because they would hear the lessons for the older, and the older would learn their subjects more thoroughly because they would help tutor the younger ones in the subjects they were learning.  The one room schoolhouse epitomized discipleship.

Growing up we would have BYF (Baptist Youth Fellowship) before evening service, then we were in the evening service with the adults.  The youth were encouraged to go to prayer circle and to sing in the choir.  The young boys typically took up the offering.  Every fifth Sunday the youth would conduct the service, with the youth pastor giving the message unless the youth had some kind of pageant to put on.  It worked very well at our church.  But that was many years ago.

We've always had our children with us during services. Most in our church do this but some put their children into Children's church. Our church limits Children's church to a certain age (I can't recall off hand what it is, but young) so that parents can't just keep putting their children in Children's church as they get older. Also, during the summer months we don't have Children's church as an incentive to help parents get used to having their children in the services with them.

We had a good, new IFB church plant a couple blocks from our house when we first moved here. There were only our children (two at the time) and a couple other children in the church. We went door knocking, we hung our information on door knobs across the town and found many folks interested in the church, except...they didn't like that the church didn't have a vibrant children/youth program. We tried to explain that we didn't have such because we didn't have children or youth to have one yet but if they joined then we could get those programs going. Family after family which expressed interest chose to remain in scritpurally weaker church with lots of stuff for the young'ens rather than move to the IFB church. Eventually the sending church pulled support and the pastor and his family were sent elsewhere.

We need our children and youth active, but they need to be doing that which will help them become responsible adults and saved disciples of Christ.

• Members
On 2015/9/9 at 6:22 AM, WellWithMySoul said:

Re Titus 2:3-5

Now being in the "aged women" category, I can look back and more readily see what would've been much more helpful to me when I was a young lady.  Indeed, when I was young... "radical feminism" (I call it "grave disobedience") was beginning to be practiced in full force.  Trying to consider the "whole matter" over the years while striving to personally be obedient in a way pleasing and glorifying to the Lord, I've found that there are roots of disobedience by both genders.  There is no excuse or justification for either.  Just as in the beginning in the garden - Adam blamed Eve, and Eve blamed the serpent, etc. - the "natural" part of us wants to escape personal responsibility for our own areas of disobedience.  Without question, disobedience (sin) needs to be warned and preached against!  However, it must be motivated by truth, yet immersed with a Godly attitude and love considering one's self.  Much wisdom must be sought after, to prevent a "false balance" of responsibility.

As a young lady maturing in the Lord, more times than not I was quite discouraged by the "warnings" from the pulpit against "radical feminism".  From my experience, there was an extreme of responsibility put on the saved women while there was rather a void of balance concerning the need for the saved men to lead women as God set forth for them to.  So, what would've been more encouraging to me personally?  Over the years the Lord has taught me much about the need to focus on His truths above over-focusing on my weaknesses, failures, and sin (Eph. 4:22-24 - "That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; * And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; * And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness").  It would've been encouraging to not only be challenged by the "warnings" against disobedience, but also to be encouraged by the blessings and joys of being obedient.  Negativity and dark perspectives come easily for mankind, but "looking to the Author and Finisher of our faith" encourages favorable hope and reminds us of the triumph we can have in Christ.

Ps. 18:28 - "For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness."  Ps. 119:105 - "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."  Ps. 43:3 - "O send out thy light and thy truths: let THEM lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles."

I want to diligently concentrate and focus on the lamp for my feet and the light for my path (the Word), for then the darkness will be enlightened.  I want to focus more on where I need to go in obedience than on where I shouldn't go in disobedience.  There has been a very real void of zeal towards the absolute blessing, the joy, the sweetness, and the "reward" of being obedient to the scriptural roles that God has commanded of us. God did not set up the roles to cause misery and to tempt rebellion, but rather to encourage trusting Him, and to be able to rejoice in our respective roles.  Each role that God has given to us ought to be celebrated for what it is, for each is for our own good and each defines clarity to prevent the very chaos that prevails today.  Do each of us truly, genuinely know the joy and privilege of getting to submit and be in obedience to our particular roles?  We all ought to rejoice and appreciate with a Godly fear and trust, that HIS ways truly are far above ours!

"A good leader is first a good follower of Jesus Christ."  "My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. * And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him" (I John 3:18-19).   

WellWithMySoul,

I realy enjoyed the above thoughts on Titus 2:3-5 and I appreciate the spirit in which you presented it to all of us.

Two scripture references come to my mind when I ponder what you said.

1. "For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself." Romans 14:7 All of us have an effect on people around us. Even though a person has a personal accountability to the Lord  we do affect those around us. Sometimes in our resentment to others we hurt our own personal development in the Lord. And, sometimes we prevent the Lord from working in the lives of other people by our attitude.

Somebody has rightly said, "You are the only Bible some people read and the only Christ some people see."

2. "For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us." 2 Corinthians 1:20 Being obeidient to the Lord (whether male or female, young or old), is wonderful and the promises of God are Yea! and Amen!  so often people of all ages and genders resent being told to do right; but, as I found out by personal experience, when I do right the Lord will bless my heart and my life.

All of us can rejoice in the promises of God as written in the scriptures.

Thank you again for your encouraging and enlightening post. I am sure your thoughts were a blessing to all that read it.

Trapperhoney and John81,

Thank you for your discussions and examples of how to work with the youth in your church and what is going on in our era concerning the lack of serious devotion to the written scriptures. Here on Taiwan, in the liberal churches, a lot of the ministers do not use the scriptures at all. a lot of them use current Christian books (mostly Charismatic), social or political issues, that they talk about.

Trapperhoney, thank you for bringing out that, unfortunately, when a minister of the gospel brings out ingrained sin in some folks lives they resent it and resist the preaching of the man of God.  

Alan

Edited by Alan
spelling Aug. 21, 2016

• Members

Titus 2:9 and 10

Servants

(9) Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again;

(10) Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

Paul is now explaining to Titus how the saints should handle their servants. In Paul’s era, a lot of people had servants, or slaves. This usually came about due to the practice of one country overcoming another country and having some of the prisoners become slaves, or servants. Throughout history, slavery has been a common practice by numerous countries. Please take note. Slavery is not just a black issue. Due to the news media and black activists, a lot of people are ignorant concerning the history of slavery.

A good historical example of this type of slavery was the Old Roman Empire. The vast majority of slaves were from European countries surrounding their empire. Many white Europeans were slaves at various times. The most famous of these slaves was Spartacus, (? - 71 B. C.).

Spartacus was a Greek from Thrace. Once captured by the Romans he was made a slave and then a gladiator. Eventually, Spartacus led a revolt by slaves, (called the Gladiator’s War), was captured, and killed, along with his followers.

Also, in the scriptures we can see that the nation of Egypt made slaves of the sons of Jacob, (Israel) for four hundred years, Acts 7:6.

So, slavery is a practice that has occurred throughout the history of man and not just to the black race in modern history. We can be thankful that in today’s age we do not have this practice.

A servant of the Lord

Even though we do not have the practice of having servants, or slaves, I feel that some comments could be made and applied to our lives in relationship with our Lord, our master, the Lord Jesus Christ. Once a person becomes a Christian, instead of serving his own flesh, and/or the devil, he now becomes a servant to the Lord Jesus Christ. Hopefully, a willing servant.

Did not Paul tell Titus in chapter 1 verse 1 a, “Paul, a servant of God ...” I feel that Paul had a servant’s heart and attitude. I do not believe that the Lord Jesus will force us to be a servant, but that we should willingly offer ourselves to serve Him. It would do us well to try to apply this section to our hearts and lives in our relationship with Christ and to others.

A servant is expected to be obedient to his own master.

A servant serves his master. Not somebody else’s. The Lord Jesus said, “No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.” Luke 16:13. In this life we will either serve the flesh, the world, or the devil.

A man who desires to be a man of God, whether as a pastor, evangelist or missionary will discover that the religions and denominations of this world want you to do one thing and God another. This is why God, through His word, the Bible, is to be the authority in our lives.

The man of God needs to hide 1 Kings Chapter 13 and 22 into his heart and remember them all the days of his life. This world is full of men, religious men, kings, politicians, and other people, who will, through lies, deceit, and other false premises, try to persuade the man of God not to follow the Bible.

A servant is expected to please his master.

To the man of God, Christ is our master and we should please him. To put it very plainly, if we are called of God to preach, then preach! If we are called of God to be a missionary on a foreign field, then go! Our one thought is to please the Lord Jesus Christ. Paul said it best when he said, “For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.” Galatians 1:10

When you see a man trying to please his denomination, fellowship, politicians, or other people instead of God, he is not a servant of God. He may have the outside appearance of being religious, or holy, but he is more interested in what man says then what the Bible says.

A servant does not talk back to his master.

When a servant hears the master call him and tells him to do something, then the servant is not to talk back, nor give excuses, or otherwise question his master. He simply says, “Yes, sir.” If he is a man of God, he says, “Speak; for thy servant heareth.” 1 Samuel 3:10 b. God does not like excuses. God expects worldly people, the lost, the reprobate, the hypocrite, and such like, to make excuses, but He does not want, nor expect, those who desire to serve Him to make excuses.

A servant does not delay in obeying his master, nor does he steal.

The definition for purloin is; (1) to retard, to delay, (2) to steal, filch.

God is the one who has given us life or time in existence. Therefore, if God wants us to do something He expects us to do it without delay and not steal His time that He has given you.

Remember when the Lord Jesus asked three different men to follow Him in Luke 9:57-62? All three men gave some sort of excuse for not following Him when He asked them? It does not give any honor or glory to God for men to give excuses, or to delay, following the Lord in service.

A man who gives excuses or delays in serving Christ is not a fully obedient servant. Too many people desire to serve the Lord, but they feel that the timing is not right in their lives for some reason, or they feel they need to have circumstances that are more favorable until they start to serve the Lord. That type of attitude is not a servant’s attitude.

Also, a servant of the Lord is not a stealer. This includes religious fraud or lying. Unfortunately, in these last days, we are seeing more men, and women, being fraudulent in the Lord’s work. We are noticing this characteristic primarily in the Charismatic Movement, Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) Movement, Bible Translations, and sensationalist prophecy studies for monetary reasons.

A servant is loyal in carrying out his obligations.

The definition of fidelity is: (1) Careful observance of duty, or discharge of obligations; especially loyalty.

A good servant is loyal in carrying out his master’s command even while others do not and others try to persuade him to do otherwise. A good example of a good servant carrying out his master’s command is Abraham’s servant in Genesis chapter 24.

Please take notice that in Genesis chapter 24 Abraham’s servant, Eliezer is not named. Eliezer in named in Genesis 15:2 but not in Genesis chapter 24 This is a good example of a servant doing his masters business without desiring and credit, fame, reward or public recognition. This should be our attitude in serving the Lord Jesus. We should serve Christ in complete humility, anticipating no reward, public recognition, fame, or other compensation. As the Lord Jesus was a servant on this earth so should we be.

Also, Abraham’s servant, in Genesis 24, is a type of the Holy Spirit seeking a woman for a bride for His master, Abraham, son, Isaac. In the Church Age, God, through the power of the Holy Spirit, is seeking out a bride for His Son, the Lord Jesus. If we are truly filled with the Holy Spirit of God, then we will also be seeking out the lost, so they can be in the Bride of Christ, and live forever with God’s Son, the Lord Jesus.

A good servant is loyal to God and His word. He is not swayed by the world and religious systems, denominations and religious movements of this world. Conversely, a bad servant will not be loyal and he will be swayed from following God by the religious systems, politicians, money, and fame that this world offers.

A bad example of a servant is like Balaam in Numbers chapter 22-24. Balaam was a prophet of God. Balaam was supposed to be a servant of God. But, he was not loyal to God and his word. He was turned aside from following God by money and religious fame.

In conclusion, in order to be a good servant of God, the man of God will need to please God, His word and be loyal to Him only. The man of God should not be swayed by the various religious denominations of the world, the various new translations of the Bible, nor any of the progressive methods being tried by some of the churches. Our loyalty is to God and His word.

If that is true in our lives, Paul then states that we may, “...adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.” This is the sixth time in the book of Titus that Paul emphasized doctrine.

It brings God great honor when we are loyal to Him in the midst of a lost and very spiritual dark religious, world. Proverbs 14:35, "The King's favour is toward a wise servant: but his wrath is against him that causeth shame."

Edited by Alan
spelling Aug. 21, 2016

• Members

I'm thankful for the bible studies here... everyone who contributes helps to clarify practical application in our lives.  I also have to say I've read Titus 2:10 countless times when I'm studying in Titus... and yet it never really dawned on me that YES... Paul wasn't just teaching on the right attitude a servant should have, but also the right understanding of DOCTRINE!

Sorry for skipping ahead here, but since it's only 3 verses away... verse 13 (one of my favorite/most comforting verses) :   "Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;"  So if we don't have a right understanding of doctrine, that verse is not going to be understood!  

Just a little nugget... sorry if I interrupted the study, I just get excited when I get that "aha" moment... Thank you, Alan for helping bring that to light for me.  

• Members

I am thankful also for the fine discussions thus far in Titus. I think all of our participants have enabled all of to enjoy Titus and to have a fuller understanding.

No problem skipping ahead. Titus 2:13 is one of my favorite verses in the Bible. The coming of the Lord will be a glorious appearing. Maybe today.

• Members

Brethren,

I am very happy to hear that the study inTitus has been a blessing to all. Unless new discussions come up soon, I will be uploading the upcoming lesson in Titus 2:11-13

Titus 2:11-13 and 3:4-7, are some most encouraging portions of scripture in my heart. And, probably in the heart of a lot of the saints as Ronda has already expressed. I believe Paul, through the leading of the Holy Spirit, has purposely done so to express the importance of the Blessed Hope of the Glorious Appearing of the Lord Jesus Christ.

God bless you all.

Alan

• Members

Titus 2:11 and 12

The Grace of God

Verses 11 & 12

(11) For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

(12) Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

The eternal salvation of the soul; to escape the penalty of hell and enter heaven, is free. Our salvation was purchased on the cross of Calvary, through the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. All that is necessary for a person to be saved is too hear, have a heart repentance, and believe in the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Salvation cannot be earned by any type of merit, or religious exercise. “And if by grace, then is it [salvation] no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.” Romans 11:6. “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” Ephesians 2:8 & 9

The grace of God brings us salvation. God’s grace justifies us in His sight. Paul later on in Titus said, “That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” Titus 3:7

God’s salvation is by grace. Grace is simply God’s unmerited favor. We cannot earn salvation through any means nor do we deserve salvation. All of us deserve to spend eternity in hell because we have sinned against a righteous and holy God. “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Romans 6:23

The Lord Jesus left the glories of heaven, lived a perfect, sinless life and died on the cruel cross of Calvary, for us. Mankind has done nothing to deserve what the Lord Jesus did for us. “For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for our sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.” 2 Corinthians 8:9

Furthermore, His salvation has appeared, and is appearing, to all men. The Holy Spirit of God convicts the hearts of men in all countries. God’s grace teaches several things. They are:

1. To Deny Ungodliness.

God wants us to have fellowship and to be like Him. God is holy and He wants us to be holy also. “Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.” 1 Peter 1:16. It is also written, “For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: ... ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy.” Leviticus 11:44 & 45

After salvation, God wants to cleanse us from all of our spiritual and physical filth. This includes our sinful habits and our sinful thoughts. Once a person is saved he needs to realize that sinful habits, such as chewing tobacco (betel nut in the case of the Chinese), drinking liquor, smoking cigarettes or cigars, reading filthy books and magazines, cursing and other bad moral habits, are wrong and needs to be gotten rid of.

Also, since God’s motives and thought are pure and holy, we need to cleanse our motives and thought life. God wants us to cleanse ourselves from any ungodliness in our lives. Paul said it best in Philippians 4:8, “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”

2. To Deny Worldly Lusts.

The devil is as a roaring lion seeking to destroy any and all the saints. One of the methods he uses is worldly or fleshly lust. Even though a Christian has the Holy Spirit to guide him into all the ways of righteousness, he still has his old nature to live with. The saint would do well to study Romans Chapter 6 & 7 in order to complete this study. Paul said in Romans 6:12 “Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.”

Paul, through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, gave us a list of some worldly lusts in the book of Galatians. “Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have told you in times past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” Galatians 5:19-21

All of us are capable to do these lusts that Paul mentioned due to our sinful nature. Those who do these worldly lusts need to repent and deny, or get rid of, them. Brethren, we need to heed the advice of Peter when he said, “Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul.” 1 Peter 2:11

3. Live Soberly.

In verse 2, 4 and 6, Paul mentioned to Titus that all of us need to be sober-minded. Our lives, and thoughts, should be in a state of peace and serenity compared to the constant turmoil in this unsettled world and its desire for ungodliness and worldly lusts. Even though the world is in a hurry and unsettled in its thoughts and actions, the Christian should be sober and realize that God is in full control and that His will be done.

Even though the world may be in turmoil around us, the saint who desires to follow the Lord can have peace of mind. Did not the Lord Jesus say, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

4. To Live Righteously.

God is righteous and He expects those who trust in Him to be righteous.

Even though there are multitudes of people who sill steal, cheat, lie or use deceitful practices to get ahead in life, the Christian should not. We live in a world that uses every dishonest and unrighteous act in order to get ahead in life and to live in filthy pleasures. That is no excuse for us to do so. We should understand that God knows it is hard live a righteous live. And, we should realize (be sober-minded), that God will provide a way for us to live right.

Paul told the Corinthian church, “There hath no temptation taken you but such is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13. Paul knew, as every Christian should know, that the Christian has the power, in him, to resist fleshly desires and temptations.

In the Old Testament God commanded His saints to do right. In the New Testament God’s grace teaches us to do right.

5. To Live Godly.

The grace of God teaches us that we should deny, or get rid of, any ungodliness in our lives, and live a godly Christian life in a midst of an ungodly world. The Lord Jesus lived a godly life in an ungodly world, said, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” Matthew 5:16. God is in heaven and He desires our lives to be such like His that He will be glorified by the way we live.

Conclusion of God’s Grace working in our lives

God’s grace not only saves us, but God desires, through His abiding grace, to walk with Him by faith and prepare us for an eternity with Him in Heaven. Paul correctly states that this world is only for the present. The Christian is a pilgrim and a stranger in this present world and our hopes, our aspirations, our desires are in heaven where we can live, and enjoy God.

“These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they come out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. But now they desire a better country, that is an heavenly: therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.” Hebrews 11:13-16