• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Scientific Facts in the Bible.

• Members
On 9/21/2015 at 6:40 AM, Alan said:

Brethren,

The other reason for this thread is to edify and strengthen the brethren in the belief of the written word of God. Also, in our age, through the errors of the teachings of Darwinism, skepticism, scoffers, and worldly philosophy, this thread is written to help restore the Christians belief in the reliability, accuracy, and the infallibility of the scriptures in all disciplines.

As God created this world in His wisdom and understanding, all things that He did are according to scientific, biological, mathematical, and historical order. As we develop this thread if any of the brethren want to discuss either what has already been brought out, or, a scripture verse dealing with the natural world that would help our understanding in the scientific accuracy of the Bible please bring it to our attention.

Alan

Konstantin,

I do appreciate your postings. I thought that the Radiometric Dating Method had a bearing on the topic of this thread and I appreciated it.

Due to the length of this thread, and how you were not with us at the beginning, you may have missed the original intent and scope of this subject. I have marked out the intent , scope, and the object of this thread in red in my above original quote on the start of this thread. As an example, the last subject on "...the fountaines of the deep ..." is an interesting subject; but, it mainly is dealing with prophetic material, the falling of Satan, talking about two "shells," "types " of the scripture, analogies, and other non-related (and debatable) material. It is somewhat missing the object of the thread in that it does not contain a scientific discovery where we prove the accuracy of the scripture through an observable and repeatable method that has been discovered by an individual, NASA, or a scientific instrument.

I do want to add that the section on the "cracks" of the earth, detailed with maps, and how that science has proven their assistance of the cracks and how molten lava has flowed through the cracks is noteworthy, and how they may be the 'fountaines of the deep' are interesting. But, it is still debatable among the saints if these cracks were indeed the 'fountaines of the deep' as spoken of in Genesis 7:11 and that science has not yet verified, nor is there scripture, that before the flood the radius of the earth was 3700 km and currently the radius of the earth is 6371 km. We need to adhere strictly verifiable scientific, and accurate, facts that are supported by scripture. 

Alan

Edited by Alan
doubled word

• Members
9 hours ago, Alan said:

Konstantin,

I do appreciate your postings. I thought that the Radiometric Dating Method had a bearing on the topic of this thread and I appreciated it.

Due to the length of this thread, and how you were not with us at the beginning, you may have missed the original intent and scope of this subject. I have marked out the intent , scope, and the object of this thread in red in my above original quote on the start of this thread. As an example, the last subject on "...the fountaines of the deep ..." is an interesting subject; but, it mainly is dealing with prophetic material, the falling of Satan, talking about two "shells," "types " of the scripture, analogies, and other non-related (and debatable) material. It is somewhat missing the object of the thread in that it does not contain a scientific discovery where we prove the accuracy of the scripture through an observable and repeatable method that has been discovered by an individual, NASA, or a scientific instrument.

I do want to add that the section on the "cracks" of the earth, detailed with maps, and how that science has proven their assistance of the cracks and how molten lava has flowed through the cracks is noteworthy, and how they may be the 'fountaines of the deep' are interesting. But, it is still debatable among the saints if these cracks were indeed the 'fountaines of the deep' as spoken of in Genesis 7:11 and that science has not yet verified, nor is there scripture, that before the flood the radius of the earth was 3700 km and currently the radius of the earth is 6371 km. We need to adhere strictly verifiable scientific, and accurate, facts that are supported by scripture. 

Alan

NASA will NEVER be able to confirm the fact that our Universe is surrounded by a shell of water that is strong "as a molten looking glasse" (Job 37:18). Scripture says: "the face of the deepe is frozen" (Job 38:30). They do not believe the Bible.

• Members
59 minutes ago, Konstantin said:

NASA will NEVER be able to confirm the fact that our Universe is surrounded by a shell of water that is strong "as a molten looking glasse" (Job 37:18). Scripture says: "the face of the deepe is frozen" (Job 38:30). They do not believe the Bible.

Konstantin and Everyone else,

I agree with you. NASA, in a public statement, will probably never confirm, or even able to deny, the our Universe has a shell of water surrounding it, 'as a molten looking glasse' even if they found out it was true and accurate.

Yes, you correct, the vast majority of NASA employees do not believe the Bible. If you study my lessons carefully, I never stated in any of my studies that a NASA spokesperson proved the accuracy of the Bible through their research or instrument analysis. I used the instrument analysis to make my decision whether or not the research proved the accuracy of a Bible statement.

If you will look at some of the lessons that I have previously posted you will find out that I studied what NASA, or another scientist, or a World Book Encyclopedia, or another source, has proved, confirmed, and applied the appropriate scripture verse to show how the Bible is scientifically correct. I did not wait for NASA, for a scientist, or the World Book Encyclopedia to say, "Well, this confirms the accuracy of the scriptures. Praise the Lord!." No, I used reliable, scientific, repeatable, and accurate information to prove the accuracy of the Bible. 

As I stated in the beginning, it is my objective and the scope of this thread, to rely on scientific, proven, repeatable results through observable by eyesight, or by a scientific instrument, that when the scriptures teach about something in a science discipline that true science proves the accuracy of the Bible.

That is why this thread is not a thread on prophecy nor an interpretation of a passage of scripture.

Alan

• Members

I'll probably get blasted for this but more and more I'm beginning to believe in the "flat earth theory" or at least geocentric theory. It just jives better with the scriptures and also the older I get the more I think I've been sold a pack of lies in many many things.

• Members
2 hours ago, SureWord said:

I'll probably get blasted for this but more and more I'm beginning to believe in the "flat earth theory" or at least geocentric theory. It just jives better with the scriptures and also the older I get the more I think I've been sold a pack of lies in many many things.

SureWord,

The studies that I have conducted here concerning the "circle of the earth," and the scriptural, observable, and repeatable truth of the earth being a circle, is not, as you refer it to, "a pack of lies."

I have read quite a bit on the The "Flat Earth Theory." From what I have learned from the scripture that the flat earth proponents use to try and prove their theory I have come to the conclusion that the proponents of the flat earth theory are not interpreting the scriptures correctly. The flat earth theory proponents are the ones teaching the "pack of lies." the proponents of the "flat earth theory are not only deceiving themselves, but other folks also.

Also, the flat earth theory, from my personal experience, if it counts for anything in your eyes, in the United States Air Force, and my personal travels around the world, is not correct.

Lastly, there are so many errors, both scriptural and scientific, in the Flat Earth Theory, that I have not even discussed it in this study. If you want to have your own thoughts on the flat earth theory presented here on Online Baptist than please start your own thread.

This study is on "Scientific Facts in the Bible." The Flat Earth Theory is not, repeat, is not a "fact" in the Bible. Therefore, it is not a suitable subject in this thread as it is not scientifically a fact either.

Alan

• Members

The earth would still be a circle just not a globe. It can be flat and be a circle.

As I see it the earth being a flat CIRCLE with a dome above it i.e. "firmament" (meaning firm, solid structure) with the stars, sun and moon within this and waters above the firmament jives better with scripture.

I am not "deceiving" myself as I don't firmly hold to this belief as it really doesn't matter much, though the anger displayed by some towards those who do is fascinating. The same furor a evolutionist holds towards a seven day creationist or a LGBTQ holds towards someone who believes there's only two sexes. 

The "pack of lies" I was primarily referring to was the teaching of evolution in schools and colleges and on every science program you can watch (this position leaks over into astronomy, archeology, etc). It seems that science has taken a completely anti-biblical position towards the bible. 

If you look at illustrations on how rabbinic scholars of the past have diagramed the "heaven and the earth" you will see have it aligns more accurately in what the bible SAYS.

• Members
On 6/16/2020 at 3:22 PM, Alan said:

Brethren,

On my lesson, "The Earth is Round," based on Isaiah 40:22, posted on October 30, 2015, found on page 1 of this thread, I neglected to mention the first person, Ferdinand Magellan,  whose voyage around the world, proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the world is round and thus confirmed the words of the prophet Isaiah. Here is the information on Magellan I will be adding.

Alan

Ferdinand Magellan

Ferdinand Magellan, 1480?-1521), was a Portuguese navigator who commanded of the first expedition that sailed around the world. Due to the deterioation of his relationship with the King of Portugal, King Manual 1, Magellan offered his services to the King of Spain, King Charles 1, and thus the expedition was Spanish in nature and not Portuguese. The Magellan expedition of five ships and 240 men set sail from Spain on September 20, 1519. During the round the world expedition Magellan was killed on April 27, 1521 in the island of Mactan, in the Southern Philippines. After his death, the expedition lost four of the five ships for various reason and the fifth ship, the Victoria,  returned to Spain after the around the world expedition on September 6, 1522, commanded by Juan Sebastian del Cano, with only 17 men.

As Magellan was the chief architect of the expedition, and through his skills as a navigator and leader of men, the World Book encyclopedia states, “He was considered by many to be the greatest navigator who ever lived. His voyage provided the first positive proof that the earth was round.”[1] 

True, Observable & Repeatable Science, Proves the Bible

The two-year expedition of Ferdinand Magellan conclusively proved by an observable and repeatable fact, and not by mathematics or theory, that the Earth was round and not flat. Therefore, by scientific observation, and repeatability, science proves the validity of the scriptures as recorded by the prophet Isaiah. The prophet Isaiah could not have stated, “It is he [God] that sitteth upon the circle of the earth ...” unless he had a revelation from God Himself and afterwards that the scriptures were preserved by God as penned by the prophet Isaiah.

[1]World Book Encyclopedia, 1977 ed., s. v. “Ferdinand Magellan.”

Brethren,

Here is a addendum to the lesson on Ferdinand Magellan and his circumnavigation of the Earth.

Alan

The voyage of Ferdinand Magellan, and completed by Juan Sebastian del Cano, scientifically proved that the circle of the Earth is proven to be a globe. 

Alan

• Members

Brethren,

As an addendum to my study on Ferdinand Magellan and his voyage on the first water circumnavigation of the world, attached is the first circumnavigation of the Earth, by the United States Army Air Service, in the air (flying). For everybody's information,  the United States Army Air Service was changed in 1947 to the United States Air Force.

Both the circumnavigation of the world by Ferdinand Magellan on water, and by the United States Army Air Service (since 1947 the United States Air Force), in 1924, in the first circumnavigation of the earth by air, proved scientifically, that the Earth is a circular globe and not a "flat earth" circle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_aerial_circumnavigation

Alan

• Members

Brother, I'm not sure you understand how the flat earth model looks and works. 

That being said, I still see an earth in scripture which has a "dome" over it with stars within the dome and waters "above the heavens" (i.e. the dome) in the scripture. Apparently, the earth also has some kind of foundations plunged into the "deep"  and hell in the center. 

Now I don't say I hold this as 100% true but I will say that it has increased my faith in what the bible says about the "heavens and earth" more than that we are on a third globe going around a sun in the middle of a vast, endless universe. I just don't see that in scripture. 

Really, though, I don't think it should be a bone of contention among Christians.

• Members

One other thing, if I walk around the outside of my house I still "circumnavigated" my house even though I did it on a flat plane. I still ended up where I started. So if I sail or fly around "the circle of the earth", in this case a flat earth, I still end up where I started.

Edited by SureWord

• Members
4 minutes ago, SureWord said:

I don't think it should be a bone of contention among Christians.

Its contentious because it is a wrong and manipulative doctrine that strips scripture out of context and makes its adherents look like scientifically ignorant fools who are detached from reality. You should be very careful getting involved with that doctrine as it does not teach a biblical contextual worldview but one in which has atheist, Jewish, and pagan fables at its core. 

Titus 1:13-14 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; 14 not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

• Members
3 minutes ago, John Young said:

Its contentious because it is a wrong and manipulative doctrine that strips scripture out of context and makes its adherents look like scientifically ignorant fools who are detached from reality. You should be very careful getting involved with that doctrine as it does not teach a biblical contextual worldview but one in which has atheist, Jewish, and pagan fables at its core. 

Titus 1:13-14 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; 14 not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

How does it strip scripture out of context? It's plain to see in Genesis. 

Below is Magellan's circumnavigation of the flat earth.

5chimx.png

• Members

For the purposes of this thread, and in the context of the circumnavigation of the earth voyage of Ferdinand Magellan (completed by Juan Sebastian del Cano), and circumnavigation of the Earth by United States Army air Service, and by the context of any future addendum to this thread, the word "circumnavigate" or any of its forms of English usage, will be interpreted as to the following definition by 'The American Heritage Dictionary: "circumnavigate> v.-gated, -gating To go or proceed completely around: circumnavigating the earth. - circumnavigation." 1

Based on the definition of the American Heritage Dictionary, and in the context of this study on, "Scientific Facts in the Bible," to circumnavigate means to navigate around the earth; which has been proven to be a circular globe.

1 The American Heritage Language Dictionary, 5th ed., s. v. circumnavigate, (New York, NY: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt). 2012.

39 minutes ago, SureWord said:

How does it strip scripture out of context? It's plain to see in Genesis. 

Below is Magellan's circumnavigation of the flat earth.

5chimx.png

Brethren,

The above above "flat earth" image of Magellan's voyage is a man-made attempt to discredit the voyage of Ferdinand Magellan and is a travesty. The "flat earth' image has not been proven scientifically, and has no bearing on this study.

Alan

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 2/11/2020 at 9:13 PM, Alan said:

On May 26, 2017 I posted:

Although a lot of time has passed, I am trying to get re-organized to finish putting the subjects discussed in, 'Scientific Facts in the Bible,' in PDF format. 

Alan

Brethren,

A quick update.

Due to problems with creating the new website, along with the time needed for the ministry (among other things we have a church Youth Camp this week, I have not had the time to finish the PDF internet study. Once we get the new website operating properly the PDF study will be one of the first things accomplished.

Alan