• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Scientific Facts in the Bible.

• Members

Brethren,

As the study of the life that is in the blood is very detailed, and lately I have not been able to spend a lot of time in the amount of material that I have amassed, it will be at least two days before I can put it into some condensed form.

Alan

Brethren,

Due to other factors, I will be taking a long coffee break from this thread and will resume it as I feel led. :coffee2:

God bless!

Alan

Edited by Alan
Additional Thread Information & spelling

• Members

Brethren,

Rebecca Young has graciously given the following photo for our enjoyment concerning the natural world being created by the breath of the mouth of God.

Photo, courtesy of Rebecca 

Psalm 33 v 8.jpg 

I want to thank Rebecca for the photo. If any of the other members of OnLine Baptist would like to share a photo, or a scripture verse, or a song, or a thought, concerning the works of God in the scientific realm, than please feel free to do so.

God Bless!

Alan

Edited by Alan

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Brethren,

I re-started work on, "Medical Science on the Blood." This subject is quite extensive due to the vast knowledge that is available to us. So, if any of the brethren has any thoughts,  please bone up on your research in order to cover points that I am sure to miss that are interesting. I should start the initial post in a day or so.

God Bless!

Alan

• Members

Alimantado,

Thank you for the photo of the photo of the Chaffinch bird's nest with eggs. Really nice photo.

Here is a photo of a male and female Chaffinch. The photos are courtesy of Wikipedia.

Male Chaffinch                                           Female Chaffinch.

Chaffinch Male.jpgChaffinch - Female.jpg

Alan

• Members

“The Blood - Life”

“For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.” Leviticus 17:11

by Alan

According to James A. Ussher and his classic work, “Annals of the World,” the time of this statement was 1492 B.C.

https://archive.org/stream/AnnalsOfTheWorld/Annals#page/n39/mode/2up

At that era in human history, and up to the modern era, the scientists, medical and non-medical science, did not believe that life was in the blood. Only until the advent of the microscope and modern scientific research, could modern science verify the accuracy of this statement in the scriptures.

William Harvey

William Harvey, April 1, 1578 – June 3, 1657[1], is credited with the first scientific analysis of the circulation of the blood. His work, “On the Motion of the Heart and Blood,” gave a detailed analysis of the circulation of the blood through the arteries and the heart acting as the pump.

His work is considered a classic. In, “On the Motion of the Heart and Blood,” Harvey disproved previous miss-conceptions concerning the blood, the liver, and the heart. It was also a catalyst for scientific work concerning the blood and the circulatory system.

Scientific Instruments & Advances

The invention of the microscope was the initial instrument for the scientific study of the blood and afterwards the invention of the compound microscope,  the electron mcroscope in 1931,  the invention of microtomy, and other inventions as the ‘Blood Chemistry Analyzer,’ has further increased man’s knowledge of the blood.

These instruments have led to further development in Pathology and Hematology.

In this study, we will limit the study of blood to the blood in humans.

I am indebted to the material found in the following sources:

1. Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood 

2. Creation Ministries International, “Life is in the Blood,” article by, Andrew Hodge: http://creation.com/life-is-in-the-blood

The medical term in things related to blood often begins with hemo- or hemato-, which comes from the Greek word haima for “blood.”

Blood is comprised of: blood cells suspended in blood plasma, proteins, glucose, mineral ions, hormones, a protein called albumin is present to regulate the colloidal osmotic pressure of the blood, red blood cells (erythrocytes), and white blood cells (leukocytes), and platelets.

The blood is indeed the life of the flesh. Without the proper nutrients delivered by the blood the body would die. And, without the removal of dead cells, the whole body would die.

Andrew Hodge states, “Blood is fundamental to the function of every cell of every component in our bodies.” [2]

The blood is the fluid in the body that delivers the necessary substances as nutrients and oxygen to the cells of the body and carries away the waste products of the cells of the body. The blood is transported through the body via the circulatory system operated by the heart tissue.

Some of the functions of the blood are as follows:

1. Supplies oxygen to the tissues.

2. Supplies nutrients such as: glucose, amino acids, and fatty acids.

3. Removal of the waste products of the cells: carbon dioxide, urea, and lactic acid.

4. Immunological functions (antibodies for foreign materials).

5. Coagulation.

6. Messenger functions: including the transporting of hormones and the signaling of tissue damage.

7. Regulation of the bodies ph.

8. Regulation of the core temperature of the body.

9. Hydraulic functions.

Plasma

Plasma constitutes approximately 55 % percent of the blood. It is comprised of water, blood plasma proteins, and other materials.

Some of the functions of plasma are as follows:

1. Circulates dissolved materials; glucose, amino acids, fatty acids, removes waste products.

2. Serum albumin.

3. Immunoglobulins (antibodies).

4. Lipoprotein particles.

5. Various other proteins.

6. Various electrolytes.

The above information, condensed and slightly revised, was from “Blood,” Wikipedia[3]

DNA – Deoxyribonucleic Acid

Wikipedia defines DNA as, Deoxyribonucleic acid is a molecule that carries most of the genetic instructions used in the growth, development, functioning, and reproduction of all known living organisms and many viruses.”[4]

DNA was first isolated in 1869 by Friedrich Miescher. The molecular structure was identified by James Watson and Francis Crick in 1953.

It must be note that the DNA molecule is in the white blood cells of the blood. Thus, the statement made in Leviticus 17:11, “For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.” is a scientifically accurate statement.

From when the statement was first made in 1492 B. C. to 1953 A. D. is 3,445 years.

The Bible is scientifically accurate in all of its statements.

Edited by Alan
grammer revised the sentence on instruments

• Members

John Young,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the study.

Brethren,

The section on Bloodletting and Leeching will be uploaded after a period of time in order to see if there is any discussion, or need of any revising, on the initial posting.

Alan

Edited by Alan
grammer

• Members

Imagine if scientists would consider all possibilities rather than only looking for answers in their narrow box of evolution, big bang theory.

Amazing to watch scientific genius' stumbling for words and ideas as they try to determine what the invisible, unknown thing is which holds everything together and makes everything work while seemingly having to violate their ideas of laws which should govern such.

It's too much to consider God, but perfectly acceptable to invent terms to call something they know not what they are talking about, such as dark energy and dark matter (dark meaning unknown).

The Bible holds answers if only they would hear.

• Members

Jim and John81,

Thank you for your comments.

Brethren,

Here is an interesting article, "Common DNA Sequences: Evidence of Evolution or Efficient Design," by Dr. Jeffery P. Tomkins, from the Institute of Creation Research (ICR).

http://www.icr.org/article/common-dna-sequences-evidence-evolution/

The article is a little lengthly and may be somewhat hard to understand due to the information given. So, I have copied the conclusion as written by Dr. Tomkims to his study below.  The quote will be highlighted in blue.

Conclusion

The genetic picture that is beginning to emerge is one of incredible networked and regulatory complexity combined with an extremely high level of efficiency in code usage--certainly nothing that could have evolved on its own through chance random evolutionary processes. As is easily seen, trying to use common genes related to common processes as proof of evolution quickly falls apart in light of the bigger genomic picture. In fact, it really speaks of smart coding by the ultimate bio-systems programmer--God Himself.

God bless you all!

Alan

• Members

Indeed the evolution theory of tiny changes (evolution) taking place over long periods of time is an impossibility. Whether one looks at the basic blocks of our being, DNA, or the overall creature, whether human, wolf or hammerhead shark, it's clear their existence couldn't be unless the whole was created together in an instant.

Good study, Alan!

• Members

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and conderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth quite well." Psalm 139:14

Any other comments,  questions, or articles, anybody wants to talk about before the next section on Bloodletting and Leeching is uploaded?

Alan 

• Members

Bloodletting and Leeching

Bloodletting and Leeching both involve the taking of blood out of the human body purportedly for the treatment of a disease.

Bloodletting is performed, in almost all cases, by a medical physician by means of cutting of the flesh using one of several methods using thumb lancets and fleams:

1. Venesection.

2. Arteriotomy

3. Scarification: accomplished with scrapping the skin with a cube shaped brass box with small knives, followed by ‘cupping’ the wound. Cupping a wound involved placing a dome-shaped glass object over the skin and extracting the air.

Leeches, performed by the medical leech, Hirudo medicinalis, were used in some forms of bloodletting.

Up to the 1830’s bloodletting (by knives and leeching), was performed in a vast amount of cases for a vast number of medical reasons.

Famous Individuals who received Bloodletting & Died

Charles II (1630-1685)

President George Washington (1732-1799)

Bloodletting was finally debunked by the efforts of Dr. Hughes Bennett (1812-1875), and Dr. Pierre Louis (1787-1872).

Exceptions for Bloodletting

Under medical care from a physician, some of the few reasons why bloodletting may be helpful is for hemochromatosis and polycythemia: ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting

For a more thorough study of bloodletting, see the following article on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting