• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

One man's description of the United States?

• Members

“To those who had easily endured toils, dangers, and doubtful and difficult circumstances, ease and wealth, the objects of desire to others, became a burden and a trouble. At first the love of money, and then that of power, began to prevail, and these became, as it were, the sources of every evil. For avarice subverted honesty, integrity, and other honorable principles, and, in their stead, inculcated pride, inhumanity, contempt of religion, and general venality. Ambition prompted many to become deceitful; to keep one thing concealed in the breast, and another ready on the tongue; to estimate friendships and enmities, not by their worth, but according to interest; and to carry rather a specious countenance than an honest heart. These vices at first advanced but slowly, and were sometimes restrained by correction; but afterwards, when their infection had spread like a pestilence, the state was entirely changed, and the government, from being the most equitable and praiseworthy, became rapacious and insupportable.” 

Sounds a lot like a historian describing the crumbling of today's biggest and most powerful empire, the United States.  Actually it is not but it is the Roman historian and government insider Sallust blasting the decline of virtue in government of the Roman Empire of Julius Caesar.

Time is running out for another wicked nation that forgot their first love.

• Members

One difference, I would point out, is that Rome never had any virtue and never had the one true God as a first love.  They were morally decadent from the get go. They never had "In God We Trust" written on their coins. But Rome persecuted God's people, and Rome hadn't ought have done that. We now have a president, who has turned his back on Israel, is subverting her, and is helping her enemies. That's going to be the last straw I'm afraid.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

I believe Bill Watterson best illustrated the reason for the rapid decline of America in his cartoon Calvin and Hobbes, with Calvin speaking as the average American today.

"Some people are pragmatists, taking things as they come and making the best of the choices available.

Some people are idealists, standing for principle and refusing to compromise.

Some people just act on any whim that enters into their heads.

I [today's average American] pragmatically turn my whims into principles."