• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The King James Version attacked from with in

• Members

The Glossagraphia is available for download from archive.org.  Just google it and it will take you to a link.  Can be downloaded in many formats.

Speaking of archive.org...that's a great resource! You can find all kinds of things on there.

Before I made my own audio bible for my website, I was using one that I made on archive.org. I just went and checked, and the audio bible that I made with them is still there! They've obviously updated their site...not only does the site look different, but I can no longer find a way to embed the player. That was one of the great things...anyone could embed the player on their website. EDITED: you can get the embed code from the site after all...just hit the "Share" icon on the right, and it will give you the embed option. The embed option from the page is a slightly smaller player than the embed code I give below.

https://archive.org/details/TheHolyBible_748/v2

From the new page, you can still listen to it on their site, or you download all of the files and listen to it on your media player...

However...

I still have the embed code! :D If anyone would like an audio bible for your website, here's the embed code...

<iframe src="https://archive.org/embed/TheHolyBible_748&playlist=1" width="500" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The narrator's name is Dan Wagner (a retired pastor); he sounds like a sweet-ole grandpa.

Here's a picture of what the audio bible looks like...you can scroll through the Bible and click where you want to listen. Playback is continuous, so when one chapter ends, it continues to the next. If the size is too big, just change the width and/or height in the embed code...

audiobible2.png

Edited by No Nicolaitans

• Members

Here are some more which are used differently today.: prevent, quick, quit, reins, road, smart, corn, halt, let, meat, meet, occupy, overcharged, singular, careful, dumb. Then there are words like "ouches" and "besom" that most people would have no idea because the word isn't used today at all. Nobody here is complaining about the King James, bro, we're just saying it takes digging and studying to learn what you need to know.

Sorry I saw this late

You mean digging into the Word or digging into merchandise? You can understand it without the man made aids, right? I mean seriously...right?? Not picking a fight just proving a point. Milk is for babes and that is all the aids do, they attempt to turn God's meat into milk so babes can understand it. When more times than not, the aid being read is wrong in interpretation or definition. Where is the growth in that?

Generally speaking to all
I find it strange to hear someone defend the Word as perfect and complete in one hand but you need this stack of concordances, lexicons and dictionaries to understand it in the other? Where does it say that in there? Bible says the Spirit will teach us all truth.

• Members

Using a Greek or Hebrew Lexicon is no different than listening to a preacher explain a verse or passage.  Should we stop listening to preachers, since their explaining of a verse or passage is not actually what the KJV says verbatim?  LoL

If  one can "Amen" a preacher that expounds on a Scripture verse or passage, then one shouldn't have a problem with the use of a Greek or Hebrew Lexicon.  imo

• Members

wretched,

I actually agree with you about the "man's books" to a great extent. I haven't looked at a commentary in years. I do still periodically use dictionaries and lexicons from time to time. Do I feel like that's laziness? No sir...I feel as though God has provided a tool to help me study.

If all we need is the Spirit, then why did God provide pastors and teachers? I agree that the Bible says that the Spirit will teach us all truth...but the Spirit uses other men as one of the avenues that he teaches truths to us.

2 Timothy 4:13
The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.

Now, would you give Paul the same advice that you have given here?

What were the books and parchments that Paul so earnestly desired? God's word? Study aides? Commentaries? We don't know, but Paul sure desired to have those books and parchments, didn't he?  :)

• Members

wretched,

I actually agree with you about the "man's books" to a great extent. I haven't looked at a commentary in years. I do still periodically use dictionaries and lexicons from time to time. Do I feel like that's laziness? No sir...I feel as though God has provided a tool to help me study.

If all we need is the Spirit, then why did God provide pastors and teachers? I agree that the Bible says that the Spirit will teach us all truth...but the Spirit uses other men as one of the avenues that he teaches truths to us.

2 Timothy 4:13
The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.

Now, would you give Paul the same advice that you have given here?

What were the books and parchments that Paul so earnestly desired? God's word? Study aides? Commentaries? We don't know, but Paul sure desired to have those books and parchments, didn't he?  :)

Locally Pastors and teachers in your own church, absolutely. Books for profit absolutely not. They are all filthy lucre and we all know it.

OT Scriptures only is what Paul wanted my friend. Not tom, dick and harry's opinions on any subject.

• Members

Sorry I saw this late

You mean digging into the Word or digging into merchandise? You can understand it without the man made aids, right? I mean seriously...right?? Not picking a fight just proving a point. Milk is for babes and that is all the aids do, they attempt to turn God's meat into milk so babes can understand it. When more times than not, the aid being read is wrong in interpretation or definition. Where is the growth in that?

Generally speaking to all
I find it strange to hear someone defend the Word as perfect and complete in one hand but you need this stack of concordances, lexicons and dictionaries to understand it in the other? Where does it say that in there? Bible says the Spirit will teach us all truth.

Some man/woman taught you your ABC's, then how to read. Then you were later taught vocabulary words, Have you ever looked up English words in a dictionary? Does your vocabulary now include every word in the English language? You are using a computer right now. Don't tell me about "manmade aids". .......Glede, ouches, besom, cogitations, greaves, chapiter, cumin, quaternion, alamoth, parbar   Tell me what those King James words mean without looking them up. All of them. Really bro.

• Members

Leviticus 22:22 Blind, or broken, or maimed, or having a wen, or scurvy, or scabbed, ye shall not offer these unto the LORD, nor make an offering by fire of them upon the altar unto the LORD.

I never heard or read the word, "wen" until I saw it in my KJV.  The only way to know what it means is to look it up.

Strong's Hebrew Dictionary
2990. יַבָּל yabbel

יַבָּל yabbel yab-bale'

from 2986; having running sores:—wen.

Now, without looking up the definition, I could not know exactly what "wen" means by the KJV text alone.  Yes, the text does indicate that it is some kind of defect.  But what is the harm in finding out exactly what kind of defect the text is referring to?

• Members

Yes,

Although around the time, 1611, when the King James was translated and published, likely every man on the street knew what a "wen" was.

Exactly!  The KJV1611 is preserved text in the language of that time.  They had no idea that "gay apparel" would one day mean pink leotards . 

• Members

Exactly!  The KJV1611 is preserved text in the language of that time.  They had no idea that "gay apparel" would one day mean pink leotards . 

Isn't that sad? But true.

I love the King James language. It's beautiful poetry to my ears.

• Members

It indeed is a Book to be esteemed precious by all who read it. 

But if the definitions of the words are not examined or taught, what happens to future generations?  People will have no clue what words like "caul" or "wen" or "alamoth" mean.