• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

windows 10

• Administrators

Once it's activated, you won't see that. I do like their background screen options - they give you the choice of whether you want to see more of things like that scene. If you click on it before signing in (I just touch the screen), then once you sign in it automatically takes you to an information page of the scene. There's a lot of beauty in the world!

Thanks for the info re: Kaspersky. I don't like the government butting into things, but when it's something like the web, and one certain company is impeding an end user from loading whatever that user wished to load on their own computer, I think the gubmint needs to stop 'em. =D

• Members
57 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

Once it's activated, you won't see that. I do like their background screen options - they give you the choice of whether you want to see more of things like that scene. If you click on it before signing in (I just touch the screen), then once you sign in it automatically takes you to an information page of the scene. There's a lot of beauty in the world!

Thanks for the info re: Kaspersky. I don't like the government butting into things, but when it's something like the web, and one certain company is impeding an end user from loading whatever that user wished to load on their own computer, I think the gubmint needs to stop 'em. =D

Yes ma'am...but I'm just familiarizing myself with the system...I have no plans to activate it. :laugh:

• Members

I switched from NOD32 to Bitdefender when the latter started to consistently top the industry tests and the former went downhill. They used to have a Linux version too, which was nice.

On 09/06/2017 at 7:32 PM, No Nicolaitans said:

Oh yeah...I disabled everything I could to protect my privacy, but who knows what they're still getting from me?

Yeah, although trying to ensure privacy on Windows 10 might be a forlorn hope, if you do adjust the settings like you've done, make sure you review them after significant updates. Microsoft routinely uses updates to reinstall software you've uninstalled and change settings back to defaults. That's been my experience anyway.

• Members

A Linux user's review of Windows 10

Okay, my brief affair with WIndows 10 is now over.

I tried both the 64bit version and 32bit version. Here's my assessment...

1. I really liked it!

It is an absolutely beautiful operating system. Everything just worked...except for having to download the driver for my printer. I was reminded of how things used to be before I switched to Linux as my main OS. 

2. I really enjoyed learning (what little I did) about the system.

It really was fun exploring the system, but I was reminded of how things aren't as easily accessible on Windows as they are on Linux. Files aren't as easy to find on Windows, and navigating the file manager is confusing (to me). It gave me a greater appreciation for the simplicity that Linux offers. 

3. I realized what I take for granted on LInux.

Having to have an antivirus and malware protection adds a lot of computer resource usage (no wonder my old 32bit Windows Vista laptop got so bogged down considering it only had 1 GB of memory!). Just the operating system, antivirus, and malware program used over half of the available memory on the 32bit computer.

4. I really wanted to keep using it though!

It's just so stinkin' beautiful and nice! Still, even though I did everything I could to guard my privacy, I couldn't shake the feeling that Microsoft was still getting telemetry data from me...or more.

5. Still, I wouldn't mind using it in the future.

I have nothing to hide, I "surf the internet" wisely, and I make sure that everything is up-to-date and protected. If I ever buy a new computer, I'll gladly keep the Windows 10 OS on it. However, that will be a case of "have to". I'm perfectly happy and content in my world of LInux for now. One thing I brought away from this...I won't bash Windows 10 any longer. It's a great operating system. If a user does what they can do to protect themselves and their privacy, then have at it. :)

• Members

I just built a new machine to replace the one I built in 2005.  I got Windows 10 Professional and like the speed but am used to Windows 98/XP.  Windows 7 went on our old laptop and liked that I could make it look more like XP/98.  

It's taken some getting used to and using Office products is way slower with all those useless functions being front and center instead of like before.  Well, I reckon it's going to take some time to customize it and get used to the new features.  There's an awful lot of stuff I'll never use too and one pet peeve, everything is called an "app" not a "program".  I like programs not apps!  Yeah, I don't like the poor access to files so I've reorganized it like the old way to retain access to everything.

Also, I put the OS on a RAID1 with SSDs and my personal files (My Documents) on a RAID 1 with Western Digital drives.  Everything is backed up to Carbonite too.

This machine is a rocket though, it blasts its way through anything!

Bitdefender is great!