• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

windows 10

• Members

More Microsoft frustrations.  LoL

last month, Microsoft told me my PC was compatible for the Windows 10 from Windows 7 Upgrade.  I went through all kinds of hoops trying to upgrade, as my previous post relayed.

However, last week, in the middle of the night, I noticed my PC was shutting down.  It does this for upgrades of drivers and security patches anyway, so I was not concerned.  Until,... I noticed what the Upgrade was.  It was upgrading my Windows 10 system to Windows 10"  what???

after it completed the Upgrade, it asked for my Windows 7 Product Key.  I typed it in, and Microsoft would not accept it.  Invalid, it said.  

No matter how I tried, the number was no good.

needless to say, I rolled the system back to factory settings Wednesday.  Windows 7 is once again my OS after two hours of drivers and patches being downloaded and installed to get it up-to-date... along with a pop-up window that informed me that my Pc was not compatible with Windows 10.   LoL

fine!  I'll just stick with Windows 7.  No problem.

Yesterday evening, I had another pop-up.  Microsoft wants to put me in queue for the windows 10 Upgrade,... and my PC is compatible.  RoFL

I need a vacation.

• Members

Brethren,

I read a reliable article on how Microsoft is using updates to Windows 7 and 8 systems to install the spyware that they incorporated into Windows 10.

The primary two updates are: (1) KB3075249, and, (2) KB3080149.

Here is the article link: http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/computers/item/21455-microsoft-increases-secrecy-expands-spyware-to-windows-7-and-8

I am on the verge of changing over my computer system to Linux / Ubuntu. Anybody got any recommendations?

Bro. Alan,

If you haven't made a decision on a Linux OS yet, I'd like to give my recommendation if that's okay.

Ubuntu is a great OS, however, out of all of the myriad of Linux OS's available, Ubuntu is the one that shares some of your information with other parties. Granted, it doesn't come anywhere close to what Microsoft does, but they do still share some of your information. I also don't care for the way Ubuntu looks...but that's my opinion. Some people love it. For quite some time, the most popular Linux OS has been Linux Mint. It's one that I would recommend too. 

If you're new to Linux, there are two OS's that I would recommend above all others...

1. ChaletOS - ChaletOS is a very nice and modern-looking Linux OS that I highly recommend. It was specifically made to make people feel a little more at ease when coming from Windows to Linux. Installation is easy, but there are a couple of pop up notifications that might confuse you...just read them carefully so you'll know what to do. If I wasn't using my own Linux OS, this is the one that I would use. I was using it before I made my own.
  2. PeppermintOS - If you have an older computer without much RAM, this is a great Linux OS to use. Out of every Linux OS I've ever tried, Peppermint uses the least amount of RAM. That doesn't mean you can't use it on a new computer though...it would fly on a newer computer. It's not as modern-looking as ChaletOS, but it performs absolutely great. Installation is VERY easy.

Both of these have 32 and 64 bit versions available, and both will receive updates until 2019...after that, you'd need to reinstall their new versions again. Like most Linux OS's, both of these have forums that you can join and ask questions if you need any help, and both of their forums are very willing to help.

Others may recommend other OS's than what I have, but after having tried many Linux OS's, those are the ones that I would most recommend.

Though I've stopped developing chrestos (the Linux OS that I made), it can still be downloaded and used if anyone wants to try it. However, installation is a bit more complicated for someone who has never done it before...but I do have installation videos on the website. However, my OS is for 64 bit computers only. The good thing about mine is that once you install it, it's good forever...you'll get updates for life...you'll never have to reinstall it again.

Whatever you decide, realize that there is a learning curve with Linux...but don't let that deter you. Take advantage of their forums, and don't be afraid to ask questions. I use Linux about 99% of the time now. About the only time I use our Windows computer is when I run virus and malware scans with Avast and Malwarebytes. :nuts:

• Members

No Nicolaitans,

Thanks for that information.

I tried Ubuntu a few years ago.  I got it from a magazine, Computer Shopper, I think.  You could run it from a DVD or from your hard disk.  It gave an easy way to install it beside windows with dual boot.  I had no problems installing it but just could not work out how to use it. 

• Members

No Nicolaitans,

Thanks for that information.

I tried Ubuntu a few years ago.  I got it from a magazine, Computer Shopper, I think.  You could run it from a DVD or from your hard disk.  It gave an easy way to install it beside windows with dual boot.  I had no problems installing it but just could not work out how to use it. 

Yes sir, Ubuntu can be confusing to someone new to Linux. It was also the first Linux OS that I tried, and it almost made me abandon trying Linux.   :icon_confused:   :bang:    :nuts:

I'm not a fan of Ubuntu...

• 2 months later...