• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Godliness VS Worldliness

• Moderators

Mike,

Have you tried any sheep?

Who owns the mineral rights on your property?

Good point heartstrings. I think about the desert.  Abraham always comes to mind lol.  I always wondered about that.  Another thing is venison.  I guess they like alfalfa I don't know.  Grocery stores don't have that.  They just started with the bison meat not to long ago.  Could be Bambi.  Could be Esau.  I can't figure out why they don't have it available.  So I don't know lol.  Maybe you need a really high fence.  I can't guess it. 

We have a couple sheep, Icelandics. The problem is, sheep are grazers, while goats are browsers. We don't get a lot of grass, as opposed to a lot of bush, which are preferred by the goats. For sheep we'd need a good tractor to knock down all the sagebrush and replant with pasture grass. But we don't have good enough water for that-need a much bigger, stronger pump for that, hence much more power, being on solar.

Mineral rights, well, its a little complicated. technically, the people who sold the land to my wife retained the mineral rights, but they are dead and there are no kids, so, I guess us.

As for venison, well, we have deer, here, but we can eat our goats-just need a way to keep the meat, which we don't have right now. Thought about building a smoke house, to slow smoke the meat, like they used to before refrigeration. Build something large enough to hang a couple goats in, let them sit and smoke, take what we need when we need it, leave the rest there.

• Members

We have a couple sheep, Icelandics. The problem is, sheep are grazers, while goats are browsers. We don't get a lot of grass, as opposed to a lot of bush, which are preferred by the goats. For sheep we'd need a good tractor to knock down all the sagebrush and replant with pasture grass. But we don't have good enough water for that-need a much bigger, stronger pump for that, hence much more power, being on solar.

Mineral rights, well, its a little complicated. technically, the people who sold the land to my wife retained the mineral rights, but they are dead and there are no kids, so, I guess us.

As for venison, well, we have deer, here, but we can eat our goats-just need a way to keep the meat, which we don't have right now. Thought about building a smoke house, to slow smoke the meat, like they used to before refrigeration. Build something large enough to hang a couple goats in, let them sit and smoke, take what we need when we need it, leave the rest there.

They used to salt meat in the past and hang it in the sun to dry.

• Members

brother Mike your wife may be right the lord may have you right where he He plans on using you and when the time does come His blessings will follow ,it may easy for me to say this because I'm not you but I have been in the very same condition before lve had to learn to serve on very little with 6 children many times not eating so my children could it seemed the harder I worked the harder it would get many times I tried to figure why these things continued to happen my faith in the lord was completely on Him yet I did not realize just how the Lord was working on my family and I until 2000 when I was in a accident rendering me disabled I knew God was preparing our family for the Storm ahead of us ,which indeed it came hard as I was unable to care for my wife and children this time,yet my faith in the Lord was totally upon Him ,my faith never faltered though it seemed as though the battle had overcome me a much needed time of rest.not long after this storm came a hurricane ,i had received a large amount of money from the accident , in which we where able to buy a house and replace a lot off what we had lost ,one morning my wife went the bank and there was no money in our account we where broke , brother this was the most hardest thing i had to ever face ,even now it hurts , it was not the loss of our money but in the way which we lost it , i was in shook when a police officer came to our home and told us that our pastor had been arrested for this crime as well as taking money from the church , today he is in prison and we have never recoverd our loss, but in my heart he has been forgiven ,i pray for him and his family each day. right now I'm resting un our Lords peace and continue in His work .brother i know that the Lord has made me whom i am today he has given me something far greater than money or material things his unending love and mercy has prepared me for what we may have to face before He returns ,brother how blessed we are to suffer for our Savior Jesus,you are in my prayers that the Lord may give you a time of rest

We are to pray,to support, to help our brothers and sisters in the lord when storms come, and when we fail to do so, we have not the love of Jesus in our hearts

Loving you my brother with the love of Jesus from my heart.

• Members

The Grace of God is the expression of His goodness toward the undeserving ,Grace means unmerited favor and can be expressed by the Acrostic Gods riches at Christ's expense,this grace is the basis of our salvation , men who deserve hell obtain heaven.every conversion in Scripture is and example of Gods Grace,man owes his salvation to Grace or undeserved divine favor.we need to remember that we are saved,given the Holy Spirit and allowed to serve God, by His Grace.

God bless

Not bad I guess, but I like the way it's put in Titus 2 better...quoting from memory so pardon me for missing a word or two and not using the exact verse reference....

The grace of God which bringeth salvation hath appeared unto all men (by grace are ye saved, lost people are experiencing God's grace but they don't know it) teaching us (us who are saved by grace are taught by grace how to act in obedience to God) that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, in this present world......

Far too many Christians today want to interpret God's grace as an excuse for unholy indulgences like Bug's Bunny and Looney Tunes Cartoons.  God's grace is for living holy lives serving God no matter how much it costs us or how difficult the trials........worldly Christians claiming they are acting in God's grace when in reality they are only satisfying their own lusts.

My favorites were the Roadrunner and Chip&Dale

I've renounce them all....road runner had some perversion laced in with the jokes......there was nothing holy or godly about Roadrunner.  I didn't watch Chip and Dale, but they were probably anti-Christ the same as Roadrunner.

Help me out here, because I am truly confused about why you're making such a big deal about Bugs Bunny, of all things. Why such a disdain for a set of cartoons and tv shows that have pretty much fallen off the air? Surely there are more important, more influential, and more ungodly things to take issue with right?

yes......for you, a more important, more influential, and more ungodly thing to take issue with would be your attitude in your response.....

I don't think you want me to help you out, you could understand if you wanted but you only want to insult me so to you I say bye.

Edited by Saintnow

• Members

I think we have a bunch of Bugs Bunny fans here who don't want to admit their love for an ungodly and unholy show, so they go on and on and on talking about their personal worldly interests to avoid discussing Godliness VS Worldliness, Holiness VS Self-serving, Spiritual VS Carnal.

I have some strong brothers I go street preaching with.  Strong in the Lord.  That really helps.  It's a life dedicated to The Kingdom of Heaven nothing else before God.  We get together and get out there 2 or 3 times a week sometimes for 4 to 8 hours or even more.  We soulwin together eat and fellowship together.  I'll admit I am really, really blessed.  Very thankful for what I have.  I have known these guys for years from soulwinning.  They too shun TV.  They don't go in for that kind of entertainment at all.  We go everywhere  from the gang areas to the trendy new age neighborhoods.  Events we possibly have Mexico coming to town for the soccer finals lol.  I am loaded down with spanish tracts for that one.  55k tickets have already been sold.  Try Fellowship tract league.  For a modest donation I think its $7.50c for a thousand tracts they ship you too.  Really nice tracts with the gospel.  I drop them off at drive thru windows.  Give them to people on the street at the store etc.  I just say can I give you something to read or here.  They mostly take it some say no thanks.  I go alone to when there is no one else to go with me.  Doesn't bother me.  I hand tracts out and talk with people sometimes for 4 hours.  It gets exhausting in the hot Georgia Sun.  But so satisfying.   

I wonder why I'm the only person who liked what you shared here.  There sure is a lot of boring chatter going on here about personal worldly pleasures and attachments.

• Members

Not bad I guess, but I like the way it's put in Titus 2 better...quoting from memory so pardon me for missing a word or two and not using the exact verse reference....

The grace of God which bringeth salvation hath appeared unto all men (by grace are ye saved, lost people are experiencing God's grace but they don't know it) teaching us (us who are saved by grace are taught by grace how to act in obedience to God) that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, in this present world......

Far too many Christians today want to interpret God's grace as an excuse for unholy indulgences like Bug's Bunny and Looney Tunes Cartoons.  God's grace is for living holy lives serving God no matter how much it costs us or how difficult the trials........worldly Christians claiming they are acting in God's grace when in reality they are only satisfying their own lusts.

I've renounce them all....road runner had some perversion laced in with the jokes......there was nothing holy or godly about Roadrunner.  I didn't watch Chip and Dale, but they were probably anti-Christ the same as Roadrunner.

yes......for you, a more important, more influential, and more ungodly thing to take issue with would be your attitude in your response.....

I don't think you want me to help you out, you could understand if you wanted but you only want to insult me so to you I say bye.

Brother could to further explain what you mean by heretical teachings of Gods grace which is not Gods Grace at All.I know not of any teachings of this in the IB church here

as far as bugs bunny I haven't had a TV in 20 years and when I had one it collected dust . God took me behind the woodshied when I was but a young Christian and in doing so put me on a path for 35 years in which at times I have faltered yet not once has God faltered in changing me and at 64 He continues to do so and will until he calls me home,amen

God bless brother

• Moderators

If I am understanding correctly, the issue with Bugsenheimer Bunny, is the idea that Christians ought to be concerned about the little worldly things, as much as the big ones, because worldly is worldly, no matter if they are big, rock n roll, tattoos, booze, etc, or small, ie, 'harmless' like Bugs Bunny.

I used to like Andy Griffith-the show seems so down-home and well, nice. But as a Christian and an adult, I am less and less liking it, on the rare occasion I see one. Andy tend to lie to Opie and Barney and even Aunt Bea an awful lot to keep from hurting their feelings, of hurting himself. And of course, hilarity ensues, but as far as I can see, it just kind of teaches that lying is okay in some cases. Also, what's the deal with Opie's mother? maybe I have missed it, but is she ever even mentioned at all? Andy seems to have this steady stream of pretty admirers, poor Opie must be confused.  No, it really seems to smack of a heavy worldly philosophy. And even the Beverly Hillbillies, they are shown as being decent, old-fashioned God-fearing folks, except God, church, the Bible, etc are never once mentioned anywhere. Sunday is always soap-making day, or planting day, or some-such. 

So herein is the lesson: its the little things that will tend to bite us more than others. What COULD we be doing while we watch Bugs Bunny, or the Stooges, or whatever? Are we redeeming the time for the Lord? This is something that recently in my own life, as I have considered all my life, and much of what I have written herein, that is more and more becoming plain. I'm just not doing much for God, not nearly as much as I should be, and I see the results all around me. I have shut off the Dish network some time back, and set up a local antenna, and now I don't even watch that-the TV sits mostly unused. Watch out for the little, harmless things. Bugs Bunny is not evil, per se, but he;'s a waste of time, time we don't get back. Wood, hay and stubble.  

• Members

Whaaat? I asked an honest question trying to understand why you find something so irrelevant to be so "unholy" that you need to label it "anti-Christ." Seriously, I just wanted to know what your issue is with Looney Toons of all things. I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with any of it. I just don't understand why you're making such an issue about something that very few people even think about anymore, much less actively care about. Are you always this combative?

• Members

If I am understanding correctly, the issue with Bugsenheimer Bunny, is the idea that Christians ought to be concerned about the little worldly things, as much as the big ones, because worldly is worldly, no matter if they are big, rock n roll, tattoos, booze, etc, or small, ie, 'harmless' like Bugs Bunny.

I used to like Andy Griffith-the show seems so down-home and well, nice. But as a Christian and an adult, I am less and less liking it, on the rare occasion I see one. Andy tend to lie to Opie and Barney and even Aunt Bea an awful lot to keep from hurting their feelings, of hurting himself. And of course, hilarity ensues, but as far as I can see, it just kind of teaches that lying is okay in some cases. Also, what's the deal with Opie's mother? maybe I have missed it, but is she ever even mentioned at all? Andy seems to have this steady stream of pretty admirers, poor Opie must be confused.  No, it really seems to smack of a heavy worldly philosophy. And even the Beverly Hillbillies, they are shown as being decent, old-fashioned God-fearing folks, except God, church, the Bible, etc are never once mentioned anywhere. Sunday is always soap-making day, or planting day, or some-such. 

So herein is the lesson: its the little things that will tend to bite us more than others. What COULD we be doing while we watch Bugs Bunny, or the Stooges, or whatever? Are we redeeming the time for the Lord? This is something that recently in my own life, as I have considered all my life, and much of what I have written herein, that is more and more becoming plain. I'm just not doing much for God, not nearly as much as I should be, and I see the results all around me. I have shut off the Dish network some time back, and set up a local antenna, and now I don't even watch that-the TV sits mostly unused. Watch out for the little, harmless things. Bugs Bunny is not evil, per se, but he;'s a waste of time, time we don't get back. Wood, hay and stubble.  

Another thing is trading like trading part of that property for some road frontage somewhere or something else of value.  I hate craigslist but there is a bartering section. 

• Moderators

Another thing is trading like trading part of that property for some road frontage somewhere or something else of value.  I hate craigslist but there is a bartering section. 

yes, but again, we have to subdivide the property, and that takes a wad of cash. And unfortunately, the property here isn't of much value. Our 80 acres was bought for $21,000 in the 1980's, and isn't worth much more today. no one wants to live here, because its a dying community, and hard to work. We are surrounded by BLM land, and really the only hope we would have of getting a decent sum of money for the property, is if the local Army base decided they wanted the ability to expand out our direction, and made us an offer. But that won't happen, because they can expand north to the Oregon border, many miles up, no need to go our direction.

Of course, if the 'big one" ever occurs, and the San Andreas fault line goes, we may be sitting on beach front property. Then the world is our oyster.

• Members

I've noticed the lying too. I've also noticed that, in stark contrast to shows like "Leave it to Beaver" and "Father Knows Best", neither "Andy Griffith" nor "Beverly Hillbillies" have normal families with a dad, mom, and kids. Andy and Barney's only "commitment" to women is to go to the movies and "park by the duck pond". But they even lie on "Leave it to Beaver".....followed by laugh tracks of course. Like you said. watching the tube is a waste of precious time.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

yes, but again, we have to subdivide the property, and that takes a wad of cash. And unfortunately, the property here isn't of much value. Our 80 acres was bought for $21,000 in the 1980's, and isn't worth much more today. no one wants to live here, because its a dying community, and hard to work. We are surrounded by BLM land, and really the only hope we would have of getting a decent sum of money for the property, is if the local Army base decided they wanted the ability to expand out our direction, and made us an offer. But that won't happen, because they can expand north to the Oregon border, many miles up, no need to go our direction.

Of course, if the 'big one" ever occurs, and the San Andreas fault line goes, we may be sitting on beach front property. Then the world is our oyster.

Make that part of the trade the subdividing.  Partial cost etc.  One of the best ways again is to get it zoned for something.  I dunno.  I've never been to the desert.  Heck maybe a small airport with a runway with flying lessons heck even I could fly where there are no trees lol.  Folks around there might like that lol. 

Edited by Potatochip

• Moderators

Make that part of the trade the subdividing.  Partial cost etc.  One of the best ways again is to get it zoned for something.  I dunno.  I've never been to the desert.  Heck maybe a small airport with a runway with flying lessons heck even I could fly where there are no trees lol.  Folks around there might like that lol. 

Believe it or not, we have two airstrips already, lol; one is on the Army base, and the land around it was bought recently, and they are trying to get a big shipping company to use it as a hub, like Fed Ex or UPS-they have a hub in Reno, but they pay exorbitant amounts to fly-here they would have full use, except for the occasions the Army uses it, which is rare. And we have a small civilian strip. The entire area is zoned for agriculture-its a big alfalfa and grass hay growing area. Again, being surrounded by BLM land, they are going to be pretty touchy about any change in use. As well we have 'endangered' kangaroo rats (which you have to fight not to hit due to their numbers on the roads), the wandering skipper, (a tiny moth), and the sage grouse. So then you have to go through the EPA, as well. Plus we have a seasonal vernal pond, which the environmentalists here in California would somehow try to make a wetland and not let it be used. So I try to avoid the attention of the government at any level.