Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By Jim_Alaska in Jim_Alaska's Sermons & Devotionals
      Closed Communion
      James Foley

I Corinthians 11:17-34: "Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse. For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you. When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's Supper. For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken. What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not. For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord's death till he come. Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world. Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another. And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come."

INTRODUCTION

Historic Baptists, true Baptists, have believed in and still believe in closed communion. Baptists impose upon themselves the same restrictions that they impose on others concerning the Lord’s Supper. Baptists have always insisted that it is the Lord’s Table, not theirs; and He alone has the right to say who shall sit at His table. No amount of so called brotherly love, or ecumenical spirit, should cause us to invite to His table those who have not complied with the requirements laid down plainly in His inspired Word. With respect to Bible doctrines we must always use the scripture as our guide and practice. For Baptists, two of the most important doctrines are Baptism and The Lord’s Supper. These are the only two doctrines we recognize as Church Ordinances. The Bible is very clear in teaching how these doctrines are to be practiced and by whom.

We only have two ordinances that we must never compromise or we risk our very existence, they are Baptism and The Lord’s Supper.

The moment we deviate from the precise method God has prescribed we have started down the slippery slope of error. True Baptists have held fast to the original doctrine of The Lord’s Supper from the time of Christ and the Apostles.

Unfortunately, in this day of what the Bible describes as the age of luke warmness, Baptists are becoming careless in regard to strictly following the pattern laid out for us in Scripture. Many of our Bible colleges are graduating otherwise sincere, Godly and dedicated pastors and teachers who have not been taught the very strict, biblical requirements that surround the Lord’s Supper. Any Bible college that neglects to teach its students the differences surrounding Closed Communion, Close Communion and Open Communion is not simply short changing its students; it is also not equipping their students to carry on sound Bible traditions. The result is men of God and churches that fall into error. And as we will see, this is serious error.

Should we as Baptists ignore the restrictions made by our Lord and Master? NO! When we hold to the restrictions placed upon the Lord’s Supper by our Master, we are defending the "faith which was once delivered to the saints" Jude 3.

The Lord’s Supper is rigidly restricted and I will show this in the following facts:

IT IS RESTRICTED AS TO PLACE

A. I Corinthians 11:18 says, "When ye come together in the church." This does not mean the church building; they had none. In other words, when the church assembles. The supper is to be observed by the church, in church capacity. Again this does not mean the church house. Ekklesia, the Greek word for church, means assembly. "When ye come together in the church," is when the church assembles.

B. When we say church we mean an assembly of properly baptized believers. Acts 2:41-42: "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls. And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers."

The church is made up of saved people who are baptized by immersion. In the Bible, belief precedes baptism. That’s the Bible way.

Acts 8:12-13, "But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done."

When we say properly baptized, we mean immersed. No unbeliever should take the Lord’s supper, and no non-immersed believer should take the supper. Those who are sprinkled are not baptized and cannot receive the supper. The Greek word for baptize is baptizo, and it always means to immerse.

"In every case where communion is referred to, or where it may possibly have been administered, the believers had been baptized Acts 2:42; 8:12; 8:38; 10:47; 6:14-15; 18:8; 20:7. Baptism comes before communion, just as repentance and faith precede baptism".

C. The Lord’s Supper is for baptized believers in church capacity: "When ye come together in the church," again not a building, but the assembly of the properly baptized believers.

D. The fact that the Lord’s Supper is a church ordinance, to be observed in church capacity, is pointed out by the fact that it is for those who have been immersed and added to the fellowship of the church.

E. The Lord’s Supper is never spoken of in connection with individuals. When it is referred to, it is only referred to in reference to baptized believers in local church capacity I Cor. 11:20-26).

I want to quote Dr. W.W. Hamilton,

"The individual administration of the ordinance has no Bible warrant and is a relic of Romanism. The Lord’s Supper is a church ordinance, and anything which goes beyond or comes short of this fails for want of scriptural example or command".

“The practice of taking a little communion kit to hospitals, nursing homes, etc. is unscriptural and does not follow the scriptural example.”

IT IS RESTRICTED TO A UNITED CHURCH

A. The Bible in I Cor. 11:18 is very strong in condemning divisions around the Lord’s table. For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
      19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.
      20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.

There were no less than four divisions in the Corinthian church.
      I Cor. 1:12: "Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ."

Because of these divisions, it was impossible for them to scripturally eat the Lord’s Supper. Division in the local church is reason to hold off observing the Lord’s Supper. But there are also other reasons to forego taking the Lord’s Supper. If there is gross sin in the membership we do not take it. Here is scriptural evidence for this: 1Co 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us:
      8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. 9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
      10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. 11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

B. At this point, I want to ask these questions: Are there not doctrinal divisions among the many denominations? Is it not our doctrinal differences that cause us to be separate religious bodies?

IT IS RESTRICTED BY DOCTRINE

A. Those in the early church at Jerusalem who partook "continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine" Acts 2:42. And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

B. Those that do not hold to apostolic truth are not to partake. This means there is to be discipline in the local body. How can you discipline those who do not belong to the local body? You can’t. The clear command of scripture is to withdraw fellowship from those who are not doctrinally sound.

II Thes 3:6: "Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us."
      Rom. 16:17: "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them."
      To commune together means to have the same doctrine.
      II Thes. 2:15: "Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle."
      II John 10-11: "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds."

C. Some Baptists in our day have watered down this doctrine by practicing what they call “Close Communion.” By this they mean that they believe that members of another Baptist church may take communion with us because they are of the same beliefs. Once again, this is unscriptural.

The welcome to the Lord's Table should not be extended beyond the discipline of the local church. When we take the Lord’s Supper there is supposed to be no gross sin among us and no divisions among us. We have no idea of the spiritual condition of another church’s members. If there is sin or division in the case of this other church’s members, we have no way of knowing it. We cannot discipline them because they are not members of our church. This is why we practice “Closed” communion, meaning it is restricted solely to our church membership. 
      So then, in closing I would like to reiterate the three different ideas concerning the Lord’s Supper and who is to take it. 
      Closed Communion = Only members of a single local church. 
      Close Communion = Members of like faith and order may partake. 
      Open Communion = If you claim to be a Christian, or simply attending the service, you may partake. 
      It is no small thing to attempt to change that which was implemented by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 
      Mt. 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. 
      Many of our Baptist churches have a real need to consider the gravity of the act of observing The Lord’s Supper. It is not a light thing that is to be taken casually or without regard to the spiritual condition of ourselves or our church.
      1Co. 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

The 7th Shemita is here

• Advanced Member

Invicta, So do you believe the following verse is null and void?

Acts 2:17 ""And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:"

No of course not Ronda.  Peter applied it to his days.  John said so as well.  1 John 2:18 ¶  Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

By the way I did not use the phrase Slam Fest,  I have never heard of it nor know what it means.  You need to study the scriptures to see what they actually mean rather than use them to try to justify your preformed ideas.  Be a Berean, see if these things are so.  As to the original post by Eric, I have just been following the thread as it developed I believe.  If I have been guilty of disrailing it, I apologise.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

Interesting answer Ronda, but we are taught that the Holy Spirit will be removed in the tribulatiom.

That is another matter up for interpretation. Some say the Holy Spirit is removed entirely, some say the Holy Spirit will be present but only as in Old Testament times, some say the Holy Spirit will still be present and active but will not be holding back evil as before.

If, as the pre-trib teaching indicates, Christians will be gone I don't know why we argue over this detail.

Well folks, the "Shemita" is over....and nothing happened.  Read about it here:

Shemita is over---But nothing happened

It would seem that Jonathan Cahn is a false prophet!

A shrewd false prophet who hedged all his bets by every once in awhile saying whatever *might* be coming might not happen on an exact date and could actually occur a few weeks or even months later.

Soooooo, anything major, or that can be made to appear major, happens over the course of the next year or so and he can claim "that's it!". If nothing fits the bill, he can point back to those few times he said he wasn't date setting and it (whatever "it" is) could happen at another time.

Then he will be ready to sell more books to the gullible and live well of the royalties.

In my area, some have fell back to the day of atonement, the 23rd.

Most are saying it will be the feast of the Tabernacles when the blood moon appears on the 28th.

It breaks my heart to see this happening. They will just move on to the next idea of when Jesus is returning, its almost a mental sickness.

Are you aware and prepared?

Yes Eric. I am.

I am done slamming you. And I no longer am holding this against you brother.

I think you might be regretting making a strong stand as you have done.

I just want to say that the Lord has been working on me about my attitude today, and I know that you are not at fault here.

Yes, nothing happened on the last day of the Shmita. So what. You made a stand on something that you really had a heart for. That is a good trait to have brother.

I have made similar stands before, with failure.

Stand firm friend in the things that remain, and the Lord bless you with strength to fight the good fight of faith.

Hope you read this in the spirit that I mean this.

Russ.

Yes Eric. I am.

I am done slamming you. And I no longer am holding this against you brother.

I think you might be regretting making a strong stand as you have done.

I just want to say that the Lord has been working on me about my attitude today, and I know that you are not at fault here.

Yes, nothing happened on the last day of the Shmita. So what. You made a stand on something that you really had a heart for. That is a good trait to have brother.

I have made similar stands before, with failure.

Stand firm friend in the things that remain, and the Lord bless you with strength to fight the good fight of faith.

Hope you read this in the spirit that I mean this.

Russ.

I am happy that the stock market only went down 10% in USA. It is down over 20%in 21 other countries. I love you as a brother and wish you well.

I think you spelled his name wrong Sis. Linda...

Jonathan Con

:coverlaugh:

He always said God is not in a box. Nothing has to happen. Jesus said a famine is coming before he comes. Prepare while you can.

• Advanced Member

He always said God is not in a box. Nothing has to happen. Jesus said a famine is coming before he comes. Prepare while you can.

Wrong.  He said there will be famines before the temple was destroyed.

Jesus spoke of famines, pestilences and earthquakes in divers places.  Matt 24:7, Mark 13:8, Luke 21:11. Fulfilled.

Acts11: 28  And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar. 29  Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea: 30  Which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.

1 Corr. 16:1 ¶  Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
2  Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
3  And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.
4  And if it be meet that I go also, they shall go with me.

Historians also tell of this famine, Suetonius, Tacitus, Josephus.  Eusebius said there was a famine in that time in Rome, Greece and Judea.  Josephus tells of a foreign queen, a convert to Judaism (probably a christian) sending a large amount of aid to Jerusalem.

There have been and continue to be many famines around the world. Jesus never said a specific famine was something to look out for before His return. If a specific famine is required before Christ can return, then His return has not been nor now is imminent.

The seventh Shemitah has come and passed. The 70th year of Jubilee has begun. It is a year of restoration to and in Israel. Fifty years ago in jubilee Israel fought a war with it's neighbors and captured Jerusalem, the West Bank, the Gaza strip, and other lands. Fifty years before that Israel became a nation in the year of jubilee and fought 7 Arab nations. There were 4 blood moons on Jewish feast days in those jubilees. The 4th blood moon is on September 28th this year. Will there be war again and what will be restored to Israel this jubilee?

The seventh Shemitah has come and passed. The 70th year of Jubilee has begun. It is a year of restoration to and in Israel. Fifty years ago in jubilee Israel fought a war with it's neighbors and captured Jerusalem, the West Bank, the Gaza strip, and other lands. Fifty years before that Israel became a nation in the year of jubilee and fought 7 Arab nations. There were 4 blood moons on Jewish feast days in those jubilees. The 4th blood moon is on September 28th this year. Will there be war again and what will be restored to Israel this jubilee?

Where did you get these figures? I ask because they aren't accurate and don't even add up.

• Moderators

Israel became a nation in 1948. That's 67 years ago - not 100. 50 years ago was 1965 - as far as I can find out, there was no war in 1965. There was a war in 1967, but that was only 48 years ago and involved 4 nations, not 7. 

Eric, you seem very engrossed in trying to figure out these prophecies - looking for signs - trying to read information that God has left a mystery. I am concerned for you. You have spent so much time on these things - but are you sure they are even meant for us to know? We are given a broad description of the times to come - but we are not given a date. We are, in fact, told that it is not for us to know the date. Yet it seems like that is just what you are trying to do, and in so doing, grasping at straws. 

What you say about preparing is good advice - not that I know whether we will be around to need the preparations! It seems to me, though, that if there is a shortage of food, food insurance (!) won't be worth the paper it's printed on. The only insurance for food is to actually have food (and then hope you don't have a house fire, or insurance, or wildfire, or home invasion... hmm... guess it comes back to trusting God anyways). :lol: 

• Moderators

100 years ago, 1915, Israel had the worst locust invasion in modern history. Many Jews likened it to the plague of locusts during Moses' day.

US aid had already slackened due to WWI and the devastation of vegetation added to the famine. Israel's major exports @ the time (and a huge part of their economy) were heavily impacted due to the olive, fig and grape losses.

Israel became a nation in 1948. That's 67 years ago - not 100. 50 years ago was 1965 - as far as I can find out, there was no war in 1965. There was a war in 1967, but that was only 48 years ago and involved 4 nations, not 7. 

Eric, you seem very engrossed in trying to figure out these prophecies - looking for signs - trying to read information that God has left a mystery. I am concerned for you. You have spent so much time on these things - but are you sure they are even meant for us to know? We are given a broad description of the times to come - but we are not given a date. We are, in fact, told that it is not for us to know the date. Yet it seems like that is just what you are trying to do, and in so doing, grasping at straws. 

What you say about preparing is good advice - not that I know whether we will be around to need the preparations! It seems to me, though, that if there is a shortage of food, food insurance (!) won't be worth the paper it's printed on. The only insurance for food is to actually have food (and then hope you don't have a house fire, or insurance, or wildfire, or home invasion... hmm... guess it comes back to trusting God anyways). :lol: 

Sorry, 1917 Balford declaration which let Jews return to Israel after Word war 1, 1967 war and now 2016-2017 jubilee.

Now we are moving the "date-setting" up another year, since the September "madness" never happened and the Shemitah is now past.  So now what is going to happen in 2016-2017....God only knows!

BTW, Balford declaration is not the correct name.  It is called The Balfour Declaration (dated 2 November 1917)

Archived