• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The 7th Shemita is here

• Members
44 minutes ago, Genevanpreacher said:

Uke - my statements were in response to "it was a warning to Israel not the Church".

Since believers are the subjects to whom the Lord tells the 'future' to - when he speaks of it, it is for their benefit, not the lost uncaring and haters of the Lord.

Unless of course he is showing to 'his' how he takes care of those who hate him.

It's not always a cut and dried issue. I know that. But when it clearly is shown that God's relationship is with those who have a relationship with him, all through scripture, I have a very easy time making these statements. 

God says things from his mouth to us for our benefit, not the losts benefit.

So books where Prophets are speaking of future events - he says them for the benefit of believers. In the past he spoke to believers from the seed of Jacob. Before that he spoke to the seed of Shem and others. Before that he spoke to the sons of Adam who called upon the Lord.

All believers. 

That's my point.

I don't know if this is clumsy wording, but the Gospel is for the benefit of unbelievers.

It seems that at points in this quote you are expanding your scope beyond prophecy. If that is the case then you are outright wrong.

But again, God on occasion told unbelievers of future events - a couple of kings for instance were told of their own future, and they clearly did not believe in the One True God when the prophecy was given to them.

• Members
6 hours ago, Genevanpreacher said:

Uke - my statements were in response to "it was a warning to Israel not the Church".

Since believers are the subjects to whom the Lord tells the 'future' to - when he speaks of it, it is for their benefit, not the lost uncaring and haters of the Lord.

Unless of course he is showing to 'his' how he takes care of those who hate him.

It's not always a cut and dried issue. I know that. But when it clearly is shown that God's relationship is with those who have a relationship with him, all through scripture, I have a very easy time making these statements. 

God says things from his mouth to us for our benefit, not the losts benefit.

So books where Prophets are speaking of future events - he says them for the benefit of believers. In the past he spoke to believers from the seed of Jacob. Before that he spoke to the seed of Shem and others. Before that he spoke to the sons of Adam who called upon the Lord.

All believers. 

That's my point.

When God judges Israel with fire the Church will already be in heaven. After the fire falls and kills 2/3 of the people of Israel all the survivors will be saved.

• Members

Do you all know that interest rates on government bonds are so low you have to pay interest to some governments to take your money. The world is panicking. Many countries are in danger of defaulting on their payments. The prices of commodities have fallen and the value of their monies have fallen against the dollar.

Ask the third world people if the shemita has hurt them!

• Members
On 7/8/2016 at 9:51 AM, DaveW said:

I don't know if this is clumsy wording, but the Gospel is for the benefit of unbelievers.

It seems that at points in this quote you are expanding your scope beyond prophecy. If that is the case then you are outright wrong.

But again, God on occasion told unbelievers of future events - a couple of kings for instance were told of their own future, and they clearly did not believe in the One True God when the prophecy was given to them.

Yes God did talk to a "couple of kings", but to the benefit of believers.

Not talking about the gospel here Dave. Talking about people who are already saved.

Reread with a little flexibility, as I do make mistakes in wording sometimes.

And I did reread my post multiple times, and I don't see your issue.

Yes the gospel is for the lost, but that's not what we were talking about was it. We were discussing to 'whom' God speaks in prophetic discussions from the OT.

It was to believers and for the benefit of believers that the Lord spoke through his prophets what he did or was going to do. Whether judging kings - for them abusing his children, or for the authority he 'allowed those kings', to be abused.

Even when God sent prophets to worldly kings for their punishment, or 'reguidance', it was always for his people's benefit.

Also with the gospel of Jesus Christ - for the benefit of those who would believe the gospel. Those who will believe in Jesus Christ with all their heart are God's people. Even before they are saved,  for God knows them from the womb. 

• Members
On 7/8/2016 at 9:51 AM, DaveW said:

No, Dave it is not for the benefit of unbelievers. 

It is for the benefit of those that WILL believe. 

Technicality?  Yes.

Yes the gospel saves the lost, but ONLY when they believe it.

Then that means they are saved and no longer lost. Hence, behold - a child of God.

So - when does the gospel benefit one who dies and goes to hell Dave? It doesn't. Yet when one becomes a believer,  that same gospel DOES benefit them.

But I sit here talking too much.

The 7th Shmita is nothing Eric.

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, Eric Stahl said:

Do you all know that interest rates on government bonds are so low you have to pay interest to some governments to take your money. The world is panicking. Many countries are in danger of defaulting on their payments. The prices of commodities have fallen and the value of their monies have fallen against the dollar.

Ask the third world people if the shemita has hurt them!

Mt 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. 
 25 ¶ Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? 
 26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? 
 27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? 
 28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: 
 29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 
 30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? 
 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 
 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 
 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 
 34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. 

• Members
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Mt 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. 
 25 ¶ Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? 
 26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? 
 27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? 
 28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: 
 29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 
 30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? 
 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 
 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 
 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 
 34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. 

Do you have a winter coat? Do you own a car or home? Do you have food where you sleep at night? Would you like to have food again next week?

• Members
2 hours ago, Eric Stahl said:

Do you have a winter coat? Do you own a car or home? Do you have food where you sleep at night? Would you like to have food again next week?

We live just like the Church always has Eric. One day at a time. Working with our hands whatever the Lord supplies for us to do to get our daily bread.

• Administrators

Yes Eric, I do have all those things. I have them because God graciously supplies them for me, just like the verses I gave you indicate.

Mt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 

• Members
8 hours ago, Genevanpreacher said:

No, Dave it is not for the benefit of unbelievers. 

It is for the benefit of those that WILL believe. 

Technicality?  Yes.

Yes the gospel saves the lost, but ONLY when they believe it.

Then that means they are saved and no longer lost. Hence, behold - a child of God.

So - when does the gospel benefit one who dies and goes to hell Dave? It doesn't. Yet when one becomes a believer,  that same gospel DOES benefit them.

But I sit here talking too much.

The 7th Shmita is nothing Eric.

Oh ok - Calvinism then.

Thanks for making that plain for us all.

Just had to quote it before you change it.

• Members
1 hour ago, DaveW said:

Oh ok - Calvinism then.

Thanks for making that plain for us all.

Just had to quote it before you change it.

Um... I don't know what to say to that...

Ok...where did Calvinism come in?

I assume you don't think the Lord knows who will believe, before they are born?

God isn't all knowing?

Interesting Dave.

Do you limit the abilities of the God who created us?

I repeat, interesting.

You might consider looking at John 17. The real Lords prayer. You know where Jesus Christ himself prayed for those who would believe in him.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members
22 minutes ago, Genevanpreacher said:

Um... I don't know what to say to that...

Ok...where did Calvinism come in?

I assume you don't think the Lord knows who will believe, before they are born?

God isn't all knowing?

Interesting Dave.

Do you limit the abilities of the God who created us?

I repeat, interesting.

You might consider looking at John 17. The real Lords prayer. You know where Jesus Christ himself prayed for those who would believe in him.

I simply understand when someone is promoting Calvinism.

• Members
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Yes Eric, I do have all those things. I have them because God graciously supplies them for me, just like the verses I gave you indicate.

Mt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 

So if God makes it possible to have all those things before you need them it is okay? Prepare as the ant.

• Members
12 hours ago, DaveW said:

I simply understand when someone is promoting Calvinism.

So now I'm a Calvinist. You sure do put a lot of pressure on a guy to be sure and cross all his t's and dot all his I's. Your 'correct' way, anyway.

I am not a Calvinist Dave. Neither do I promote it. I neither studied it nor desire to study it.

I did buy the "Institutes" a few of years ago, but disagreed with so much of what little I read, I lost interest. One thing interesting - in the English translation by Beveridge, he used the KJV as his text to show Calvin's doctrines. Much of which is contrary to the GB.

So no Dave. Me and Johnny Calvin are not buds.