• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The 7th Shemita is here

• Members

I hope there is no stock and bond market crash! I hope the banks don't close down. I hope the world markets don't crash too. We will soon live through the last day of the shemitah year. I hope all you men are right that nothing will happen.

Every one that has extra food and cash can eat it and spend it if nothing happens, but those that don't have them won't have the food and cash if God chooses to judge the world.

Don't worry Eric. If something happens, it won't be because of the Shmita. If anything, it will be God's judgement upon evil leaders, possibly Jewish nonbelievers, who run too many banks or stock market type companies. We will be just fine. But as for them? Who knows. They seem to be the losers everytime something does happen. None of the past examples of Shmita 'curses' from God, affected me.

• Members

Eric, First, don't panic!!! Philippians 4:6-7 says: 6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God." 7 "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

God is telling us through His words not to worry (not to be full of cares about) things of this world,  but to instead pray about anything concerning you and once you turn it over to God you should then have peace about it... not to worry more about it!!! 

And instead of worrying about all the craziness going on in the world, what are we supposed to try to keep our minds on instead? Philippians 4:8 says: "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things".

I'm not trying to make fun of you, Eric, I can see your honest desire to know what wisdom God wants to give us.  I can tell you that the TV evangelists are not going to give you sound doctrine... SOME of them have SOME things biblically correct, but for the most part, they just want to part you from the money in your wallet!  So who CAN you trust???? GOD!!!! His words are found in the bible, and studying the bible is how we learn the wisdom God wants to impart to us! There really are no shortcuts there, we have to read and even study the bible! How do I know that? And how do I know HOW we are supposed to study? God tells us in 2nd Timothy 2:15  "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

God doesn't want us to get all upset about whatever the latest wind of gossip is. Hebrews 13:9 "Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines...." God doesn't want us to just take someone else's word for things, he wants us to come to Him in prayer to ask Him to help us learn when we study the bible.  If we honestly come to Him with pure intentions He will guide us with His Holy Spirit.   But before any of that can happen we must first be saved.  

1st Corinthians 1:18 "For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God."

And 1st Corinthians 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.".

So we can see that first one must be saved... have accepted Jesus free gift of eternal salvation.  I hope you don't mind if I ask you if you've done that? If your answer is "no" or "you're not sure", then PLEASE send me a private message and I will be more than happy to help you know for certain how to "be saved" and have eternal salvation through Jesus Christ!  If your answer is "yes" and you're sure of your salvation, may I suggest you pray and ask Him for spiritual guidance? 

I'm not trying to belittle you in any way, and I sure hope you don't think I am... I just want you to know that the bible (God's word) is how a Christian should try to get their "wisdom", and not from worldly TV shows or youtube videos.  Not  that ALL tv shows or youtube videos are bad... I've seen a FEW (very few, lol) that truly glorify the name of the Lord. I'm just saying that the same time you spent watching a tv program or a youtube video may have been used to read the bible! We should really take advantage of reading and studying the bible here in the US while it's still a freedom.  There are people suffering severe persecution and even being killed just for reading the bible in countries in the middle east and elsewhere! And this sie is also a great place to fellowship with others about the bible... we can learn/help each other with some of the more difficult passages of the bible here on OB. 

Once again, I'm not trying to deride you, I truly just want to help you grow and learn in the Lord. And I'm sorry to say that the "Shemetah" is NOT in the bible! There are biblical "sabbath" years in the bible, but those were for the Jews under the Law. If you're a born again Christian, you are NOT under the law, but under grace! 

Hi Ronda,

I am not panicking but I am preparing for the famine Jesus told us would come as a sorrow or birth pain. The Shemitah may cause famine for some poor people. You are a kind person. I would never think that anything you said was a put down or meant to hurt. I do have the peace of God! I care about the body of Christ and would like to spare them from as much pain as possible. Acts 11:28-30 Agabus warned the church that a famine was coming. So did Jesus in Matthew 24:7. The church prepared for years so they could help others. Will the church today prepare to do the same?

Eric

• Members

I'm so glad that the Lord has delivered me from the wrath to come (1st Thessalonians 1:10), so when the things spoken of in Matthew 24 are happening, I'll already be with the Lord! (1st Corinthians 15:51-52 , and 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18).  So I'm not looking for famines, pestilence, earthquakes, and all the other awful things that will happen.  I'm listening for the sound of a trumpet!!!

Instead of worrying about the stock market and famines and all of the worldly woes, I am looking forward to this: John 14:1-3 "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me."
" In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you."
" And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also."

Your profile states that you are an Independent Fundamental Baptist. I don't think you're getting your "teaching" from an IFB church, nor do I think it's coming from the bible, I think it might be coming from a TV evangelist and/or youtube? What does your pastor think about the "7th Shemitah"? What did you learn in the bible about the "7th Shemitah"? 

• Members

The Shemitah is for the nation of Israel, not for the nations.  Our "preparation" should be for the coming of the Lord Jesus to rapture/catch up His Church.  We should be busy sharing the gospel with the lost.

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Titus 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

• Members

The Shemitah is for the nation of Israel, not for the nations.  Our "preparation" should be for the coming of the Lord Jesus to rapture/catch up His Church.  We should be busy sharing the gospel with the lost.

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Titus 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

40% of the Jewish people live in the USA.

• Members

Dear Eric: The 7th Shemitah is NOT in the bible.   As I believe many above have also pointed out. So even IF many Jewish people live in the US right now, what of it? Matthew 24 is talking to the Jews that will be in Israel during the time all the bad things it references are happening... for instance verse 15 tells of a specific event that will happen in Israel, and more specifically on the altar in the temple. If we have any about that, then the next verse tells us (Matthew 24:16)  "Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains".  WHERE? Judaea, not the USA.  

Then in verse 32: "Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:"
The fig tree Jesus references here is Israel, it's branch is tender, it is putting forth leaves.

Do you understand the parable, Eric?  Do you know why Jesus spoke in parables?  In Matthew 13:10-11  the answer is found:

10 "And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?"     11 "He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given."

Once again, I hope you will get your "understanding" from the bible and if you still don't understand, then you pray for God to help you through the Holy Spirit. You must first be saved or it will all be foolishness to you. (1st Corinthians 1:18 and Matthew 6:33) . Where should we get our "understanding"?  We should search the scriptures daily (Acts 17:11), and live by the words of God (Matthew 4:4).  

Do you attend an Independent Fundamental Baptist church? (Your profile states you are IFB, and if you are not IFB you should change that because it would be a lie to say you are when you're not, right?)  I've never heard ANY IFB preacher teach on the "7th Shemitah" .   You never answered my questions above: What does your pastor think about the "7th Shemitah"? What did you learn in the bible about the "7th Shemitah"? 

God never once tells us to turn on the TV and listen to all the various teachers (very few of which even believe the same thing even amongst themselves), He doesn't tell us to watch a video about it either... Ephesians 4:14 4 "That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;"

• Members

Dear Eric: The 7th Shemitah is NOT in the bible.   As I believe many above have also pointed out. So even IF many Jewish people live in the US right now, what of it? Matthew 24 is talking to the Jews that will be in Israel during the time all the bad things it references are happening... for instance verse 15 tells of a specific event that will happen in Israel, and more specifically on the altar in the temple. If we have any about that, then the next verse tells us (Matthew 24:16)  "Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains".  WHERE? Judaea, not the USA.  

Then in verse 32: "Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:"
The fig tree Jesus references here is Israel, it's branch is tender, it is putting forth leaves.

Do you understand the parable, Eric?  Do you know why Jesus spoke in parables?  In Matthew 13:10-11  the answer is found:

10 "And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?"     11 "He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given."

Once again, I hope you will get your "understanding" from the bible and if you still don't understand, then you pray for God to help you through the Holy Spirit. You must first be saved or it will all be foolishness to you. (1st Corinthians 1:18 and Matthew 6:33) . Where should we get our "understanding"?  We should search the scriptures daily (Acts 17:11), and live by the words of God (Matthew 4:4).  

Do you attend an Independent Fundamental Baptist church? (Your profile states you are IFB, and if you are not IFB you should change that because it would be a lie to say you are when you're not, right?)  I've never heard ANY IFB preacher teach on the "7th Shemitah" .   You never answered my questions above: What does your pastor think about the "7th Shemitah"? What did you learn in the bible about the "7th Shemitah"? 

God never once tells us to turn on the TV and listen to all the various teachers (very few of which even believe the same thing even amongst themselves), He doesn't tell us to watch a video about it either... Ephesians 4:14 4 "That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;"

Hi Ronda,

The 7th Shemita is the last year before the year of jubilee. I am IFB. My pastor never taught about the shemita. 

Eric

Edited by Eric Stahl

• Moderators

Just my take:

1) Financial disaster -- I've been expecting that for over 40 years. The global economy is built on a house of cards (IOU's). We (the US) are long overdue a major depression but the government keeps the economy artificially afloat.

2) Judgement on this nation as a result of the law of sowing and reaping. -- I believe it started a few years back (I hope I'm wrong.)

3) The Lord's returning on (name any HIGH profile date: Y2K, end of the Mayan calendar, etc.) -- A month or more prior and after, maybe. On the date? Nope, too many people looking for that date.

4) Stocking up, trying to name an individual as the Antichrist or false prophet, etc. -- I find it amusing that I've known people who are pre-trib who stockpile or get concerned about what the mark is and people who are pre-wrath, mid-trib or post-trib who don't do those things. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

5) If someone believes the Lord could return TODAY to catch His bride away, shouldn't they have a desire for personal consecration and personal holiness in thought and action? Shouldn't someone who believes that the tribulation could start TODAY and possibly have to face martyrdom have the same desire? Shouldn't someone who believes the Lord could come TODAY to bring final judgement have the aforementioned desire? After all I Jn 3:3 says "And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." What hope? The one found in vs 2.

Edited by OLD fashioned preacher

• Members

40% of the Jewish people live in the USA.

Do you believe in the restoration of the land of Israel and the return of the Jews to their ancient homeland, Israel?  God is gathering His people Israel back to their ancient land of Israel.

Ezekiel 34:12 As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day.
Ezekiel 34:13 And I will bring them out from the people, and gather them from the countries, and will bring them to their own land, and feed them upon the mountains of Israel by the rivers, and in all the inhabited places of the country.

Just because 40% of the Jewish people live in the USA does not change the fact that the Shemita has always been for the nation of Israel.  The Shemitah has never been for the nations. 

Edited by LindaR

• Members

Do you believe in the restoration of the land of Israel and the return of the Jews to their ancient homeland, Israel?  God is gathering His people Israel back to their ancient land of Israel.

Ezekiel 34:12 As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day.
Ezekiel 34:13 And I will bring them out from the people, and gather them from the countries, and will bring them to their own land, and feed them upon the mountains of Israel by the rivers, and in all the inhabited places of the country.

Just because 40% of the Jewish people live in the USA does not change the fact that the Shemita has always been for the nation of Israel.  The Shemitah has never been for the nations. 

Did he not do that with the decree of Cyrus?

• Members

Did he not do that with the decree of Cyrus?

Yes he did.

That is the only fulfillment of the regathering of Israel. There has not been, nor shall there be, until Jesus returns and gathers all those who are of the saved house of Israel, along with the other nations of the world who are saved by the blood of the Lamb.

The book of Ezekiel was written about 570 BC. (prophecy)

The book of Ezra was written about 450 BC. (fulfillment)

The book of Nehemiah was written about 430 BC. (fulfillment)

And any other book afterwards, in the OT, shows any fulfillment also.