• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The 7th Shemita is here

• Members

Mormons must have great faith because that "Christian denomination" teaches the necessity of stockpiling. Every Mormon family is expected to have a minimum of one months supplies stocked away. The preferred, and pushed for amount of stockpiling is for each family to have one year of supplies (or more!) stocked away.

They believe a great downfall is coming to America, a Mormon leader will restore America (something both Romney and Beck believe) and Mormons will be the largest group of survivors because of their vast stockpiles of supplies.

Many Christians dismiss the sermon on the mount  where Jesus Himself teaches contrary to the philosophy of most Christian doomsday preppers.

• Moderators

Well, I don't think there is anything wrong with having something put away for emergencies. Its common sense. Now, certainly our trust is first in the Lord, but it's, well, rather like when one has an injury. If you cut off a finger, certainly your trust is in the Lord, but you're STILL going to go see a doctor. My wife and I generally see to our own health issues-I once cut halfway 'round my pinky with a food processor blade, to the bone, spewed blood across the wall. My wife looked at me, said, "I just cleaned that wall!" then gave me some paper towels and told me to sit down and put pressure on it till it stopped bleeding. I said "I might need to go to the hospital for this", and she replied, "You know what they'll do there? Tell you to keep pressure on it til it stops bleeding! Now go sit down."  When the bleeding stopped, she cheked it, cleaned it, put gauze over it and duct taped it. It healed just fine, no infections, and virtually no scar.

However, when she fell and passed out and began to bleed profusely from her body, I called an ambulance and she went to the doctor. Neither time did I NOT have faith in the Lord to care for us, but this one time, we needed some additional earthly assistance.

This is how I see the storage issue-just because I store a week or a month's worth of foodstuffs and some ammunition for a gun or two, doesn't mean I don't trust the Lord, any more than a farmer who goes and sows his field and waters it and cares for it, doesn't trust the Lord. Sometimes the Lord, I believe, expects us to be proactive and preparative in life. Like Joseph in Egypt-were they crazy preppers? Why didn't Joseph just tell Pharaoh to trust God? Could God provide? Sure! He could have rained down manna for seven years and fed the entire nation, but instead He told them to be prepared. Why would it be wrong for us? I trust God, but I don't sit and twiddle my thumbs and wait for Him to do all the work-if I can add my eoofrts to my prayers, I do so-maybe God answers througyh giving us the wisdom to see the times and make wise preparations.

• Members

I don't think there is anything wrong with someone storing some supplies if they feel the Lord leading them to do so. The problem is, in telling others "the big ones coming soon and if you don't stockpile now you are worse than an infidel".

It's also contrary to Scripture to tell your brothers/sisters in Christ that if they come to you for help in an emergency they won't help them.

Doomsday Christians in America tend to be little different than their non-Christian counter-parts. They plan to stockpile as much as they can, then hoard it all to themselves no matter who might come by in need of help. Many not only plan to hoard their supplies to themselves, turning brothers/sisters in Christ away to starve, but are more than willing to shoot to kill those seeking help.

Meanwhile we read in Scripture of the early Christians willing to suffer the loss of all for the sake of Christ. We read of those who had their goods taken from them and yet rejoiced and were willing to give to others out of the little they had left.

If anything, if disaster strikes, rather than hunkering down hoarding our bounty and turning others away (or killing them!), we are called to be going forth sharing the Gospel and helping those we are able.

Our lives are to be a witness for Christ, not a witness of self-preservation; and especially not the witness of self-preservation at the expense of turning away brothers/sisters in Christ needing help.

• Members

Well, I don't think there is anything wrong with having something put away for emergencies. Its common sense. Now, certainly our trust is first in the Lord, but it's, well, rather like when one has an injury. If you cut off a finger, certainly your trust is in the Lord, but you're STILL going to go see a doctor. My wife and I generally see to our own health issues-I once cut halfway 'round my pinky with a food processor blade, to the bone, spewed blood across the wall. My wife looked at me, said, "I just cleaned that wall!" then gave me some paper towels and told me to sit down and put pressure on it till it stopped bleeding. I said "I might need to go to the hospital for this", and she replied, "You know what they'll do there? Tell you to keep pressure on it til it stops bleeding! Now go sit down."  When the bleeding stopped, she cheked it, cleaned it, put gauze over it and duct taped it. It healed just fine, no infections, and virtually no scar.

However, when she fell and passed out and began to bleed profusely from her body, I called an ambulance and she went to the doctor. Neither time did I NOT have faith in the Lord to care for us, but this one time, we needed some additional earthly assistance.

This is how I see the storage issue-just because I store a week or a month's worth of foodstuffs and some ammunition for a gun or two, doesn't mean I don't trust the Lord, any more than a farmer who goes and sows his field and waters it and cares for it, doesn't trust the Lord. Sometimes the Lord, I believe, expects us to be proactive and preparative in life. Like Joseph in Egypt-were they crazy preppers? Why didn't Joseph just tell Pharaoh to trust God? Could God provide? Sure! He could have rained down manna for seven years and fed the entire nation, but instead He told them to be prepared. Why would it be wrong for us? I trust God, but I don't sit and twiddle my thumbs and wait for Him to do all the work-if I can add my eoofrts to my prayers, I do so-maybe God answers througyh giving us the wisdom to see the times and make wise preparations.

Great post!

• Members

Tic tic tic.

Are you aware and prepared?

Will your family and church wish that you had been more prepared?

Maybe reading Matthew 6:24-34 will shed some light for you brother about stocking up and being prepared.

Then again, maybe not.

I worry about you and others like you that will pick and choose what to accept and what to ignore in the scriptures.

If you say 'aw, brother, that was only for the Jews', then you don't think biblical.

The same God that created all things is also Jesus Christ in the NT. Also the same Jesus Christ in the NT is still the same Jesus Christ now, who stands next to God and his throne. Neither of them have changed. They both are still the one's who created, the one's who gave the Law of Moses, still the one's who teach us by their Holy Spirit. What they thought was godly for us in the beginning is still what they think is godly now.

To the point - just because Jesus was talking to Jews at that time doesn't mean he would say something different in front of gentiles.

He is the same Christ to us as to them.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

Brethren,

I have kept out of this thread on purpose for a couple of reasons and will continue to do so after I say one thing about the , "Year of the Goat," by Chinese astrologers meaning there will be great financial disasters.

I love the Chinese people and am fairly used to their culture. But, all astrology, which is a part of witchcraft, and necromancy, in any fashion, for any reason, is condemned by God in the scriptures: both in the Old Testament and in the New Testament.

• Members

Brethren,

I have kept out of this thread on purpose for a couple of reasons and will continue to do so after I say one thing about the , "Year of the Goat," by Chinese astrologers meaning there will be great financial disasters.

I love the Chinese people and am fairly used to their culture. But, all astrology, which is a part of witchcraft, and necromancy, in any fashion, for any reason, is condemned by God in the scriptures: both in the Old Testament and in the New Testament.

That's something I wish some of the prophetic preachers would consider before they quote these sort of things to try and add weight to what they say is their biblical position. It doesn't help an argument that's supposed to be based on Scripture to point to devilish practices that seem to agree.

One preacher used to constantly point to various false religions of American Indians and claim they supported his biblical interpretation of Scripture.

That's even worse than those Baptist pastors who positively quote people like Mother Teresa to back some aspect of their sermon.

Leave the false religions and devilish practices out...and for some, stop looking at what the world or the devil is proclaiming and then trying to make it fit your prophetic calendar.