• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Revelation Bible Study.

• Members

Brethren,

In a couple of days we will be looking at Micah 4:1-7 and its connection with Revelation 20:4-7. If are are not familiar with the book of Micah, this would be a good opportunity to read it before I upload the lesson.

Regards,

Alan

Edited by Alan
grammer

• Members

Lesson # 10

Micah 4:1-7, “Come ... to the house of Jacob.”

Background of the Book of Micah

“The word of the Lord that came to Micah the Morasthite in the days of Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah, which he saw concerning Samaria and Jerusalem.” Micah 1:1 the prophet Micah preached during the reigns of King Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah; 2 Kings 15:32-20:21

He was a contemporary of the prophet Isaiah and we can be assured that they shared many a time of fellowship together and both were aware of the other’s prophecies and trials.

The prophecies of Micah include the prophecy of the town that the Messiah, the Lord Jesus, was to be born in. “But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been of old, from everlasting.” Micah 5:2

Mercy, not Law, was the basis for Salvation

The prophet Micah also let all the world know, in every generation and country, that the eternal salvation of the soul was not in the keeping of the Law, nor the observance of a ceremony, nor in the offering of a sacrifice.

Micah clearly understood, as the true saints in the dispensation of the Law understood, that the eternal salvation of the soul, the forgiveness of transgressing the law of God, was to trust in the mercy of God. “Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old? Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?” Micah 6:6-9

The prophecies also include a noteworthy word of encouragement to all of God’s saints in the time of their distress, trials of life, and the weakness of the flesh. “Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me.” Micah 7:8

Micah 4:1-7, “Come ... to the house of Jacob.”

Verse 1-7, “But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountains of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it. And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hath spoken it. For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever. In that day, saith the LORD, will I assemble her that halteth, and I will gather her that is driven out, and her that I hath afflicted; And I will make her that halted a remnant, and her that was cast off a strong nation: and the LORD shall reign over them in mount Zion from henceforth, even for ever.”

“But in the last days it shall come to pass ...” The latter days are a reference to the prophetic last days of the history of mankind. None of the prophecies contained in Micah 4:1-7, 5:8-15 and 7:16-20, were fulfilled when the Jews returned from the Babylon Captivity, nor at any time since then in any sense of the word. The prophecies of Micah 4:1-7, 5:8-15 and 7:16-20 will be fulfilled beginning in the 7 Year Tribulation Period and culminating during the 1000 year reign of Christ.

“... that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it. ... And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob... ” The mountain of the house of the LORD, and the house of Jacob, is the Millennial Temple that will be built in the 1000 Year Reign of Christ in Jerusalem.

The Prophet Zechariah gives us further information concerning the nations that will come to the house of the LORD. "And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of Tabernacles. And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain." Zechariah 14:16 and 17

All of the nations of the world will come, Micah mentioned that many of them will be happy about it, but some will not come due to joy of spirit but fear of no rain or other blessings. 

Zephaniah 2:11 states, "The Lord will be terrible unto them: for he will famish all the gods of the earth; and men shall worship him, every one from his place, even all the isles of the heathen." All of the nations of the earth includes, "... all of the isles of the heathen."

The prophecies Micah, Zechariah, and Zephaniah was not fulfilled after the Babylonian Captivity, nor during the Church Age in any sense of the word. The only time that the prophecy of Micah, Zechariah, and Zephaniah can be fulfilled is during the 1000 Year Reign of Christ as described in Revelation 20:4-7

Ezekiel Chapter 40-48

Ezekiel 40:2, “In the visions of God brought he me into the land of Israel, and set me upon a very high mountain, by which was as the frame of a city on the south.”

Ezekiel 43:5, “So the spirit took me up, and brought me into the inner court; and, behold, the glory of the LORD filled the house.”

As discussed in the Ezekiel 47:1-12 and Hosea 3:4 & 5, lessons, the visions of the house of Israel, the temple, in Ezekiel chapter 40-48 has not yet been fulfilled and can only be fulfilled during the Millennium.

The prophet Micah clearly states that all of the nations of the world shall travel to Jerusalem to worship the Lord.

“... and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.” “But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully.” 1 Timothy 1:8

The reasons why the folks at Galatia, the Pharisees in the days of the Lord Jesus, the legalists who opposed Paul the apostle, and Seventh Day Adventist in our age, and others throughout the history of mankind, had a problem with the Law of Moses was that they did not know how to “lawfully,” or, “rightly,” or, “properly,” use it.

The Pharisees, and legalists, of any age, improperly interpret the Law of Moses to their own destruction. “As also in all of his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.” 2 Peter 3: 16

The ways of God, the paths of God, and the law of God, when used properly, are all perfect in every respect. The Lord Jesus, as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS, will teach the whole world the perfectness of the ways, the paths, and the law of God.

“... from Jerusalem.” After the Babylonian Captivity, this prophecy was not fulfilled. Nor has it been fulfilled up to our age in any sense of the word. It will not be fulfilled during the Tribulation period, Revelation chapter 6-19, nor after Revelation 20:4-6 Therefore, the only possible time in the history of mankind that it can be fulfilled will be during the 1000 years as spoken in Revelation 20:4-6

Ezekiel Chapter 40-48

“Come ... to the house of Jacob.”

Ezekiel 43:10-12, “Thou son of man, shew the house to the house of Israel, that they may be ashamed of their iniquities: and let them measure the pattern. And if they be ashamed of that they have done, shew them the form of the house, and the fashion thereof, and the goings out thereof, and the comings in thereof, and all of the forms thereof, and all of the ordinances thereof, and all the forms thereof, and the laws thereof: and write it in their sight, that they may keep the whole form thereof, and the ordinances thereof, and do them. This is the law of the house; Upon the top of the mountain the whole limit thereof round about shall be most holy. Behold, this is the law of the house.”

“Teach”

Ezekiel 44:23, “And they shall teach my people the difference between the holy and the profane, and cause them to discern between the unclean and the clean.”

The statutes, the commandments, the Law, and the ordinances of the Old Testament will be used as a schoolmaster to teach the people born in the Millennium the difference between the holy and profane and to teach them to discern between clean and unclean behavior, conduct, worship, and other aspects of life.

“And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.” This prophecy of Micah was not fulfilled after the Babylonian Captivity nor any time, nor in any sense of the word, to our age.

After the Babylonian Captivity, during the Church Age, during the 7 Year Tribulation period, mankind has had one war after another. The weapons of war, “spears, and swords,” are the ways of military force and conquest of this present world.

The prophet Micah foretold of the day when the nations of the world, not just Israel, will be free from war and that weapons of war will be turned into farming implements.

“... neither shall they learn war any more.” The United States Naval Academy at Annapolis to train officers in the art of naval war, the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO that trains Air Force pilots the art of war in the air, West Point, and the other Military Academies and boot camps (Basic Training for non-commissioned officers), will be turned into parks, libraries, farms, Bible Institutes, and playgrounds for children.

“But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hath spoken it.” God has promised that every man shall enjoy the fruits of his labor in peace and freedom from the scourge of an oppressive government or enemies from a foreign land.

My dear brethren, this promise has not been fulfilled in Israel from the time of Micah’s age to our age in any sense of the word. The nation of Israel has been in constant turmoil from oppressive governments (Babylonian, Roman, Muslim, Palestinian, etc...), within the land of Israel, and the surrounding countries until this day.

“For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever.” As with all of the other dispensations on the earth, the 1000 Year Reign of Christ on the earth will have sin, death, idolatry, and a rebellious spirit among the people. King Solomon noted, “For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Ecclesiastes 7:20

The prophet Isaiah prophesied of this condition of man also, “Let favour be shewed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness: in the land of uprightness will he deal unjustly, and will not behold the majesty of the LORD.” Isaiah 26:10

The sin nature of man is one of the reasons why God limited the time of the Millennium. God is allowing the earth to have near perfect conditions, similar to the Garden of Eden, in order to prove to man that the environment is not the cause of our sin. Even though millions (probably billions), of people have lived in a near perfect environment, experienced the favour of the Lord Jesus as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS, have been taught the proper meaning of the Law of Moses, and have lived under the grace of the Lord Jesus, they will still rebel due to their unconverted sinful nature.

Once the 1000 years are completed, Satan will be let of his prison in hell and allowed to deceive the rebellious people who would not trust in the Lord Jesus as Saviour; Revelation 20:7-10

Once Satan is cast into hell forever, and only saved folks are left for eternity in the presence of God, will sin and death be eradicated from mankind.

“In that day, saith the LORD, will I assemble her that halteth, and I will gather her that is driven out, and her that I hath afflicted; And I will make her that halted a remnant, and her that was cast off a strong nation.” “In that day,” is a clear reference to the time, “in the latter days,” when God restores the Jewish seed of Jacob that were driven out of the nation of Israel. Due to their many sins, God had afflicted the nation of Israel and used the heathen nations of the world to drive them out of the land.

When the Jews realize their ungodliness as a nation and their rejection of the Lord Jesus as the Messiah during the Tribulation Period, God will return to them and fulfill His promises as recorded by the prophets: Deuteronomy 30:1-10

“And the Lord thy God will bring thee into the land which thy fathers possessed, and thou shalt possess it; and he will do thee good, and multiply thee above thy fathers.” Deuteronomy 30:5

The driving out of the Jews from the Promised Land (and other curses), was foretold by Moses in Deuteronomy 28:15-68 “And the LORD shall scatter thee among all people, from the one end of the earth even unto the other; and there thou shalt serve other gods, which neither thou nor thy fathers have known, even wood and stone.”

“In that day, which is, “in the latter times,” the prophet Micah clearly reveals that God will gather and assemble a “remnant,” of the Jews back into the land of Israel.

“A Remnant Prophesied”

The prophet Micah continues his prophecy of the re-gathering of a remnant of the Jewish seed of Jacob back to the Promised Land in Micah 5:8-15

Micah 5:8 states, “And the remnant of Jacob shall be among the Gentiles in the midst of many people as a lion among the beasts of the forest, as a young lion among the flocks of sheep: who, if he go through, both treadeth down, and teareth in pieces, and none can deliver.” The Lion of the Tribe of Judah, Revelation 5:5, will destroy (see Micah 5:10), the chariots of war, and the armies of the anti-christ, when He comes as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS, in Revelation 19:11-21

The prophet Isaiah prophesied also a remnant would be saved and was further developed by Paul the Apostle. “And it shall come to pass in that day, that the remnant of Israel, and such as are escaped of the house of Jacob, shall no more again stay upon him that smote them; but shall stay upon the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, in truth. The remnant shall return, even the remnant of Jacob, unto the mighty God. For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea, yet a remnant of them shall return: the consumption decreed shall overflow with righteousness. For the LORD God of hosts shall make a consumption, even determined, in the midst of all the land.” Isaiah 10:20-23

“A remnant fulfilled – a nation born in a day”

The Apostle Paul quotes Isaiah. “Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved.” Romans 9:27

A “remnant,” of the Jews that are left from the horrors of the 7 Year Tribulation Period will be saved and enter the 1000 Year Kingdom as written in Revelation 20:4-6 The Apostle Paul expounds on this in Romans 11:1-29. “Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.” Romans11:5

“And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob.” Romans 11:26

Led by the Holy Spirit of God, the Apostle Paul freely quotes Isaiah 27:9 and Isaiah 59:21 and 22. See also Jeremiah 23:5-8 and 31:31-37

A nation will be born at once such as never before. “Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? or shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children.” Isaiah 66:8 God foreknew, in Deuteronomy 30:6-10, that the Jews would trust in the Lord with their heart.

The Apostle Paul also reiterated to the Corinthian Church that one day the heart of the remnant of Jacob would turn to the Lord Jesus as a nation. “But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same veil untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which veil is done away in Christ. But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the veil is upon their heart. Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the veil shall be taken away.” 1 Corinthians 3:14-16

At that time, this prophecy of the Lord Jesus will be fulfilled, “For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.” Matthew 23:39

The words of the Lord Jesus were not fulfilled in 70 A. D. when Titus destroyed Jerusalem, nor at any time during the Church Age; whether symbolically, spiritually, allegorically, or in any sense of the word. The Jewish remnant will see the Lord Jesus as Micah states, “in the latter days.”

“... and the LORD shall reign over them in mount Zion from henceforth, even for ever.” From the days of the Babylonian Captivity, to the founding of the nation of Israel in 1948, and to our age, this prophecy has not been fulfilled in any sense of the word.

“... shall reign ...” This will be literally fulfilled in Revelation 20:4-6

“And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.” Revelation 20:4

The prophet Micah knew in that latter days that a remnant of the sons of Jacob, as a nation born in a day, would dwell securely, under the reign of the Lord Jesus in Jerusalem.

“... even for ever.” The prophet Micah, as the prophet Isaiah, knew that the reign of the Messiah would continue forever. As discussed previously, after the one thousand years were fulfilled, there would be an interlude of the final war of Armageddon (Revelation 20:7-10), the complete destruction of the earth, the Great White Throne of Judgment, (Revelation 20:11-15), and then the Kingdom would continue “for ever,” on the New Earth.

Micah’s final word concerning Israel

The days of Micah were discouraging indeed. The warnings to the nation of Israel by Micah and Isaiah were, as a whole, unheeded, and the time of the restoration of the nation of Israel was to be long in forthcoming.

But, the confidence of Micah in the ultimate fulfilment of the Covenant to Jacob, the promises of God, and the mercy of God, was evident when he said, “He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea. Thou wilt perform the truth to Jacob, and the mercy to Abraham, which thou hast sworn unto our fathers from the days of old.” Micah 7:19 and 20

Edited by Alan
spelling formatting

• Members

Wonderful!  What wonderful encouragement and comfort there is to us to this day in Micah 7:8!  His light and  His indwelling presence is so very powerful.  Of course I love the little chorus of Micah 6:8.  I also noticed and truly appreciated the little "phrases" about the "word of the Lord" in ch.'s 1:1 & 4:2....indeed, the Word of the Lord goes forth!  "The mountain of the house of the Lord" is yet another phrase that shall stick in my mind as we have climbed many a mountain in our area and have enjoyed so very much the views of beauty.  The last time we went up near the top of a mountain with friends in our UTV's and gazed both upwards and down, we enjoyed together the words to the song "How Great Thou Art"!  O to grow and be more and more transformed to His likeness that we might be able to see things more from His perspective.  Thank you again for the wonderful lesson!

• Members
19 hours ago, WellWithMySoul said:

Wonderful!  What wonderful encouragement and comfort there is to us to this day in Micah 7:8!  His light and  His indwelling presence is so very powerful.  Of course I love the little chorus of Micah 6:8.  I also noticed and truly appreciated the little "phrases" about the "word of the Lord" in ch.'s 1:1 & 4:2....indeed, the Word of the Lord goes forth!  "The mountain of the house of the Lord" is yet another phrase that shall stick in my mind as we have climbed many a mountain in our area and have enjoyed so very much the views of beauty.  The last time we went up near the top of a mountain with friends in our UTV's and gazed both upwards and down, we enjoyed together the words to the song "How Great Thou Art"!  O to grow and be more and more transformed to His likeness that we might be able to see things more from His perspective.  Thank you again for the wonderful lesson!

WellWithMySoul,

Thank you for the kind words and post.

Micah 7:8 was a help to my personal growth in my early days as a new Christian and inspires me to this day.

The phrases, "word of the LORD," is prominent throughout the prophets and a study should be done on those phrases.

God Bless!

Brethren,

Our next lesson (#11), is on Zechariah chapter 3 and will be uploaded in a couple of days. In fact, lesson # 11 to Lesson # 15, will be in the book of Zechariah.  The prophecies concerning the restoration of the nation of Israel and the Kingdom as spoken in Revelation 20:4-7 is one of the main themes of the prophet Zechariah. If you haven't read Zechariah lately maybe this is a good time to do so.

If there are any more comments , or questions, concerning the lesson on Micah 4:1-7 please bring them up.

Alan

• Members

John Young,

I do not have time to do a study on the phrase, "the word of the Lord," as WellWithMysoul brought out. And, since it does not directly apply to the discussion in this thread I have not commented on it, but, if you would like to start a different thread on the phrase I am sure it would be a blessing to all of us.

Alan

Edited by Alan
spelling

• Members
1 hour ago, Alan said:

John Young,

I do not have time to do a study on the phrase, "the word of the Lord," as WellWithMysoul brought out. And, since it does not directly apply to the discussion in this thread I have not commented on it, but, if you would like to start a different thread on the phrase I am sure it would be a blessing to all of us.

Alan

That would be an interesting study. I already have some preliminary thoughts on what I would like to see in the study and maybe I can have one ready to comment on in the next few weeks if time permits. However, if anyone already has a study they can post as a new topic sooner then feel free and I can comment my thoughts. 

Some things I would be interested in seeing in the study would be:

Making the case for Christ being "the word of the Lord"
Whither or not there is a difference between "word of God", "word of the Lord", "word of the Lord God" and other similar descriptions.
The differences between when "the word of the Lord" comes to a person vs when an angel, the spirit of God, or Christ coming.
Also the relationship, if any, between "the word of the Lord" and "Son of Man". In particular in relation to Ezekiel and Christ.
And of course the particular relationship the prophets had with the word of the Lord vs other men in the bible.

• Members

Lesson # 11

Zechariah 3:1-10, “The BRANCH.”

Verse 1, “And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.”

Overview

The prophet Zechariah and the prophet Haggai are contemporary prophets. Both Zechariah and Haggai prophesied at the end of the Babylonian Exile in order to encourage the remnant of the Jews returning to Jerusalem in building the Second Temple.

Joshua, the son of Josedech, the High Priest

There are two prominent Joshua’s in the Old Testament. One is the head over Israel after the death of Moses, Joshua the son of Nun (Numbers 11:28), that led the children of Israel into the Promised Land. The other is Joshua, the son of Josedech, the High Priest as discussed here in Zechariah chapter 3 and chapter 6:9-11.

Joshua, the son of Josedech, is anointed High Priest over Israel in Zechariah 6:9-11. It is also recorded in Ezra 3:2, “Then stood up Jeshua the son of Jozadek, and his brethren the priests, and Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, and his brethren, and builded the altar of the God of Israel, to offer burn offerings thereon, as it is written in the law of Moses the man of God.” See also Ezra 3:8-13 and 5:1 & 2

“The Apple of God’s Eye”

The nation of Israel is precious in the sight of God. “For thus saith the LORD of hosts; After the glory hath he sent me unto the nations which spoileth you: for he that toucheth you toucheth the apple of his eye.” Zechariah 2:8 Israel, past, present, and future, is the apple of God’s eyes. Israel is God’s elect and chosen people. By grace, Gentiles, the church, is grafted into the elect and chosen of God. See Romans 11:17-24

In the time of Zechariah’s ministry, God is using Zechariah to encourage and instruct the return of the Jews from the Babylonian Captivity, to build the Temple, and to give visions, as here in Zechariah chapter 3, concerning the BRANCH and the ultimate restoration of the nation of Israel.

Verse 2 and 3, "And the LORD said unto Satan, the LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?"

Jerusalem

In his rebuke, the angel stated an important fact about prophecy. Jerusalem is a chosen city by God Himself.

A Brand Plucked from the Fire

Joshua the High Priest was saved from spending an eternity in the fires of hell. “And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.” Jude 23

The Jews who truly understand that the Law was perfect, and that our righteousness was not enough to enter heaven, trusted in the mercy of God for the salvation of the soul. “But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.” Psalm 13:5

Verse 3 and 4, “Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel. And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.”

The clothing of Joshua, and the righteousness of Joshua, were both filthy. “And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.” Jude 23 “But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.” Isaiah 64:6

“For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.” 2 Corinthians 5:21 God made the Lord Jesus, the Lamb of God, who knew no sin, sin on the Cross of Calvary, so we, sinners, could have the righteousness of God.

Imputation - Salvation

“And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee ...” On the cross of Calvary, the Lord Jesus became our sacrifice for our iniquity in order to become righteous in the sight of God. Our righteousness, in order to be justified in the sight of God, is imputed, by faith, through grace, whether before the law, during the law, during the Tribulation Period, or during the Millennium, is from the Lord Jesus Christ.

Psalm 32: 1 and 2, “Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit is no guile.” The Apostle Paul then quotes Psalm 32:1 & 2 in Romans 4:6-8

The Mitre

Verse 5, “And I said, Let them set a fair mitre upon his head. So they set a fair mitre upon his head, and clothed him with garments. And the angel of the LORD stood by.”

The mitre was the head gear, or hat, placed upon the head of the High Priest. Exodus 39:28-31 and Leviticus 8:8 On a plate attached to the mitre, also called, “the holy crown,” were these words,'HOLINESS TO THE LORD.' “And they made the plate of the holy crown of pure gold, and wrote upon it a writing, like to the engravings of a signet, HOLINESS TO THE LORD. And they tied unto it a lace of blue, to fasten it on high upon the mitre; as the LORD commanded Moses.” Exodus 39:30 and 31

The Charge

Verse 6 and 7, “And the angel of the LORD protested unto Joshua, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; If thou wilt walk in my ways, and if thou wilt keep my charge, then thou shalt also judge my house, and shalt also keep my courts, and I will give thee places to walk among these that stand by.”

The Branch

Verse 8, “Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant, the BRANCH.”

Furthermore, Zechariah prophesied, “And speak unto him, saying, thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place and he shall build the temple of the LORD: Even he shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both.” Zechariah 6:11 and 12

The servant of God, the BRANCH, as spoken to Joshua the high priest, is the Lord Jesus Christ. “And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots.” Isaiah 11:2

The prophecy of Zechariah concerning the work, and glory, of the BRANCH covers two aspects of fulfillment. The first aspect of the work of the BRANCH is being our high priest in heaven; at the throne of grace. The second aspect of the work of the BRANCH is to, "... and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth." 

1. On His ascension into heaven, the Lord Jesus sat on His throne at the right hand of God and became our High Priest. The Lord Jesus is our High Priest after the order of Melchisedec. Hebrews 6:20-9:28; with His own blood the Lord Jesus became the one effectual sacrifice for sins; Hebrews 10:1-21

“Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.” Hebrews 4:14 See Hebrews 4:14-16 and 5:1-10

The BRANCH, the Lord Jesus, our great high priest, is now sitting on His throne of grace in heaven.

2. The prophet Jeremiah prophesied concerning the work of the BRANCH, “Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth. In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is the name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that they shall no more say, The LORD liveth, which brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt; But, the LORD liveth, which brought up and which led the seed of Israel out of the north country, and from all countries whither I had driven them; and they shall dwell in their own land.” Jeremiah 23:5-8

None of the prophecies concerning the work of the Branch, the Lord Jesus, that Jeremiah prophesied has been fulfilled at any time.

“Execute Judgment and Righteousness in the Land”

Webster’s 1828 Dictionary defines, “execute,” as: “Ex’ecute. v.t. (1) Literally, to follow out or through. Hence, to perform; to do; to effect; to compete; to finish. We execute a purpose, a plan, design or scheme; we execute a work undertaken, that is we pursue it to the end.”[1]

The work, or the plan, or the prophesy, of the Lord Jesus as the BRANCH has not been finished, or fulfilled, or completed.

Furthermore, the prophet Jeremiah prophesied these words concerning the work of the BRANCH, the Lord Jesus.

“In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land. In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely: and this is the name wherewith she shall be called, The LORD our righteousness.” Jeremiah 33:15 and 16 “in the land,” is a direct reference to the land of Israel.

As of yet, the Lord Jesus has not fulfilled all of these prophesies. The Lord Jesus is now fulfilling the work of the High Priest in heaven, but, His work as the BRANCH, and, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS, has not been, “executed,” on the earth.

The only time in the history of mankind that these prophecies of the work of the Lord Jesus as the BRANCH can be fulfilled is during the 1000 Year Reign of Christ, “in the land,” and, “in Jerusalem,” as revealed in Revelation 20:4-6

Jeremiah specifically mentioned that the Branch will, “execute judgment and righteousness in the land.” Revelation 20:4 specifically says, “... and judgment was given unto them...”

The Lord Jesus, the BRANCH, and, “THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS,” Jeremiah 23:6, will rule and reign over the Jews, in Jerusalem, as prophesied by Jeremiah, Isaiah, and Zechariah, during the 1000 Year Reign on the earth as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS, as revealed in Revelation 20:4-6

The Stone, the Seven Eyes, and the Iniquity of Israel

Verse 9 and 10, “For behold the stone that I have laid before Joshua; upon one stone shall be seven eyes: behold, I will engrave the graving thereof, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day. In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, shall ye call every man his neighbor under the vine and under the fig tree.”

The, “stone,” is a further reference to the Lord Jesus. “Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord’s doing, and it is marvelous in our eyes?” Matthew 21:42

Previously, in this study, in referencing the BRANCH, we quoted Isaiah 11:1. Now, in reference to, “the seven eyes,” we will reference Isaiah 11:2, “And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom, and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD.”

Isaiah 11:1-16 is a prophecy of the birth of the Lord Jesus as, “a Branch,” of the house of David to reign over the land of Israel in “righteousness.” I had previously given an detailed account that Isaiah 11:1-16. Please see lesson # 2 in this series of lessons. Here is the link to the lesson on Isaiah 11:1-16: http://www.onlinebaptist.com/home/topic/23615-revelation-bible-study/?page=2

Iniquity

At the end of the Babylonian Captivity, the Jewish remnant returned to Jerusalem. The books of Ezra and Nehemiah describe the remnant of the Jews as still far from God. Ezra prayed this prayer. Ezra 9:13 and 15, “And after all that is come upon us for our evil deeds, and for our great trespass, seeing that thou our God hast punished us less than our iniquities deserve, and hast given us such deliverance as this. ... O LORD God of Israel, thou art righteous: for we remain yet escaped, as it is this day: behold, we are before thee in our trespasses: for we cannot stand before thee because of this.”

God had not healed the land of Israel after the Babylonian Captivity, and fulfilled the covenant as promised to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Nor had the prophecy of the BRANCH been fulfilled as prophesied by Isaiah, Jeremiah and Zechariah, been fulfilled after the Babylonian Captivity. Nor had God fulfilled the prophecies of Daniel; specifically Daniel 9:24, after the Jews returned to Israel after the Babylonian Captivity.

God, through Moses, had plainly warned the Jews that when the iniquities as a nation would cause them to be cast out (not permanently), from the land of Israel until they repented from their iniquities. These iniquities include a circumcised heart (not flesh), a broken heart of repentance for salvation, a broken heart for their iniquities, their fathers iniquities, an heart obedience to the law of God and humbleness of heart.

Please study carefully Leviticus 26:14-46 and 2 Chronicles 7:14

Leviticus 26:40-42, “If they shall confess their iniquity, and the iniquity of their fathers, with their trespass which they trespassed against me, and that they also have walked contrary unto me; And that I also have walked contrary unto them, and have brought them into the land of their enemies; if then their uncircumcised hearts be humbled, and they then accept of the punishment of their iniquity: Then I will remember my covenant with Jacob, and also my covenant with Isaac, and also my covenant with Abraham will I remember; and I will remember the land.”

The 7 Year Tribulation Period

At the beginning of the 7 Year Tribulation period, there is a national Jewish revival around the world. Two events take place immediately after the coming of Christ for the church.

1. 144,000 Jewish evangelists start evangelizing the world, proclaiming salvation through Christ, and preaching that the Kingdom of God is coming.

2. The Two witnesses of Revelation 11 start their worldwide ministry in Jerusalem with accompanying miracles to authenticate their ministry. The miracles are akin to the miracles of Moses and Elijah.

Romans 11:26

God uses the “time of Jacob’s trouble,” Jeremiah 30:7, (the Seven Year Tribulation), to bring the nation of Israel to repentance and salvation. A nation will be born in a day. “And all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob.” Romans 11:26

The iniquity of the nation of Israel will be taken away from them when they accept the Lord Jesus as the Messiah. The Lord Jesus prophesied, “For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.” Matthew 23:39

Once the nation of Israel openly confesses their iniquities, and the iniquities of their fathers, and recognizes the Lord Jesus as the Messiah, then God will again remember His covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

The 1000 Year Reign of Christ will commence with the Jew in perfect peace in the land. And, as Zechariah, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and John the Apostle prophesied, THE RIGHTEOUS BRANCH will reign as the KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

[1] “Execute.” Def. 1. American Dictionary of the English Language, Noah Webster, 1828. Cincinnati, OH: C.J. Krehbiel Co, 2000.

Edited by Alan
grammer

• Members

"...Toucheth the apple of his eye..." - I've been curious about this little phrase in the past.  Even though I tried to do a little study on it a long while ago, I've resigned to just knowing that it is an awe-filling thing to be thought of as the "apple of His eye"!  II Chron. 7:14 is another verse that has been a wonderful verse to hide in my heart, and Lev. 26 is  full of what I call "geometrical verses" because very clearly God has breathed several times "if and then".  "If" the people obeyed Him, "then" He would respond in like, and "if" they didn't obey, "then" He would respond accordingly.  I wonder if I would've done much better in geometry class had I made a scriptural application to it? Once again it's wonderful to see the very "complementary" connections of scripture that are posted in the study.  Yet again I express gratefulness for this study, Alan!

• Members

Lesson # 12

Revelation 20:4-7 and Zechariah 8:20-23, “We have heard that God is with you.”

Verse 20-23, “Thus saith the LORD of hosts; It shall come to pass, that there shall come people, and the inhabitants of many cities: And the inhabitants of one city shall go to another, saying, Let us go speedily to pray before the LORD, and to seek the LORD of hosts: I will go also. Yea, many people and strong nations shall come to seek the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem, and to pray before the LORD. Thus saith the LORD of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.”

“It shall come to pass.” God will accomplish His will, in His timing, and with the people that He selects. Ecclesiastes 3:1, “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.” The book of Revelation reveals to us the proper season of the fulfilment of the prophecy, or God’s purpose, of Zechariah 8:20-23

“Jerusalem,” in Zechariah 1:14; 2:12 and 8:3 God had previously told Zechariah that Jerusalem is the city chosen by God. The nation of Israel is God’s chosen people and the city of Jerusalem is the city (among other things), that God chose to place the throne of Christ during the Millennium. In Zechariah 3:1-10 and Jeremiah 23:5-8 & 33:15-16 we read that the Messiah will ‘execute’ kingship at Jerusalem. The prophecies of Zechariah 3:1-10 and Jeremiah 23:5-8 & 33:15-16 are discussed in lesson # 11 in this series of lessons.

Because of the iniquities of Israel, God had cast off Jerusalem, and Israel, until the Jews repented of their iniquities. 2 Kings 23:27 Now, in the visions that God has given Zechariah, God has shown us that He, in the future, after the national repentance of the nation of Israel, will place His name, and His Glory, and his Temple, in Jerusalem.

“For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth. The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor chose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people.” Deuteronomy 7:6 & 7

The International Prominence of the Jew

“... that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.”

Webster’s 1828 Dictionary defines, “skirt,” as: “1. The lower and loose part of a coat or other garment; the part below the waist; as the skirt of a coat or mantle. 2. the edge of any part of dress. 3. Border; edge; margin; extreme part; as the skirt of a forest; the skirt of a town. 4. A woman’s garment like a petticoat.”[1]

In the context of Zechariah 8:23, I think we can safely say that the skirt of the Jew that the men will take hold of would be the loose part, or the bottom area, of a man’s outer garment, or coat or dress suit, or even the lapel of a jacket.

During the fulfillment of this prophecy, 10 men, out of different nations of the world, will take hold of the skirt, or outer garment, of one Jew, and plead with that Jew that he would allow them to travel with the Jew to worship at the temple as, “we have heard that God is with you.” In connection with this prophecy, please review Zechariah 14:9-21

Isaiah prophesied, “And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.” Isaiah 60:3 In the prominence of the nation of Israel as the head of the nations of the earth Isaiah further prophesied, “For the nation and kingdom that will not serve thee shall perish; yea, those nations shall be utterly wasted.” Isaiah 60:12

This prophecy of Zechariah is in conjunction with the prophecy of the re-building of the Temple as prophesied by Ezekiel in Ezekiel chapter 40-48. Here is the link to a partial study on Ezekiel chapter 40-48 in lesson # 8: http://www.onlinebaptist.com/home/topic/23615-revelation-bible-study/?page=4

The Return of the Jews from the Babylonian Captivity

The prophet Jeremiah had prophesied that the Jews would be captives at Babylon 70 years: please review Jeremiah 25:11 & 12 and 29:10

In Ezra and Nehemiah, we read of the return of the Jews to the land of Israel as Jeremiah prophesied and the re-building of the Temple at Jerusalem.

In both Ezra and Nehemiah, we do not read of the fulfillment of the prophecies of the ‘BRANCH’ reigning in Jerusalem, other notable prophecies in Isaiah, Jeremiah, or many of the prophecies in Zechariah; including the prophecy of Zechariah 8:20-23. Specifically, “In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.”

Therefore, the prophecy of Zechariah 8:20-23 was not fulfilled at the return of the Jews to Israel after the Babylonian Captivity.

King Solomon

The reign of King Solomon, 1 Kings 1:32-11:43, is a type, or shadow, or picture, of the reign of the Lord Jesus during the one thousand years of reigning on the earth; Revelation 20:4-7

As the nations of the world under King Solomon’s reign traveled to Jerusalem for worship (Kings 10:1-13); so will the nations of the world travel, as Zechariah foretells, to Jerusalem for worship.

Instead of just ruling over the land of Israel as did King Solomon, the Lord Jesus will rule over the whole earth and the Jew will be highly exalted in the eyes of man as Zechariah foretells.

The Law and the Prophets

In the Sermon on the Mount, the Lord Jesus prophesied, “Think not that I am not come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.” Matthew 5:17 and 18

The Lord Jesus did not destroy the Law. The law is not destroyed to this day. Even though the Christian in the Church Age is not under the Law, according to the Lord Jesus, the Law is not destroyed to this day. The Lord Jesus fulfilled the righteous requirements of the Law for the salvation of our soul.

The Church Age saint is dead to the law: Galatians 2:19, “For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.” The Church Age saint is not to be conformed to the ceremonies and statutes of the Law: Colossians 2:13-23

But, this world, and our flesh, is still under the condemnation of the Law; Romans 3:4 & 19

The eternal righteousness of the soul, in any dispensation, is outside of the Law: Romans 3:20-30

The eternal righteousness of the soul, by grace through faith, establishes the law: Romans 3:31, “Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.”

The Lord Jesus did not come to destroy the Law; He came to fulfill the Law. The Law is established by faith.

The Lord Jesus & the Fulfillment of Zechariah 8:20-23

The Lord Jesus will also fulfill all of the prophecies of the prophets. According to the Lord Jesus, not some of the prophecies, but all of the prophecies; every jot and tittle of the prophecies of Zechariah, and the other prophets, will be fulfilled by the Lord Jesus.

When will the Lord Jesus fulfill the prophecy of Zechariah 8:20-23?

Did the Lord Jesus fulfill the prophecy of, “ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you” during His lifetime during His ministry while on the earth and until His ascension into heaven in Acts 1:9-11? No.

Zechariah 8:20-23 & 70 A.D. & the Church Age & Revelation

After the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, the prophecy of Zechariah 8:20-23 was not fulfilled. In fact, after 70 A.D., the temple at Jerusalem was destroyed and the prophecy of Zechariah 8:20-23 could not be fulfilled.

Did the Lord Jesus fulfill the prophecy, “ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you,” during the Church Age? No.

Was the prophecy, “ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you,” fulfilled at the return of the Jews to Israel in May 1948? No.

Will the Lord Jesus fulfill the prophecy, “ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you” during the 7 Year Tribulation Period as recorded in Revelation 6:1-19:21? No.

Will the Lord Jesus fulfill the prophecy, “ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you,” during the time that the Tribulation Temple is built as recorded in Revelation 11:1 & 2? No.

Will the Lord Jesus fulfill the prophecy, “ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you” during the deception of the world by Satan as recorded in Revelation 20:8-10? No.

Will the Lord Jesus fulfill the prophecy, “ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you” during the Great White Throne of Judgment is built as recorded in Revelation 20:11-15? No.

Will the Lord Jesus fulfill the prophecy, “ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you” in the New Heaven and the New Earth as recorded in Revelation Chapter 21 and 22? No. There will be no Temple in the New Heaven and the New Earth.

My dearly beloved brethren, the only time in the history of this earth that the prophecy of Zechariah 8:20-23 can be fulfilled is after the Lord Jesus begins His rule as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS as recorded in Revelation 20:4-7 “... and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.” Revelation 20:4

The chosen land for the kingdom on the earth is Israel, the chosen city for the king is Jerusalem, and the chosen people are the Jews. As KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS, during the 1000 year reign as recorded in Revelation 20:4-7, the Lord Jesus will fulfill the prophecy of Zechariah 8:23, “ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.”

[1] “Skirt.” American Dictionary of the English Language, Noah Webster, 1828. Cincinnati, OH: C. J. Krehbiel Co, 2000.

Edited by Alan
added, "There will be no Temple in the New Heaven and the New Earth." strike out and replaced with phrase in blue font color

• Members

This prophesy reminds me of the time when Abimelech made covenant with Abraham and then later with Issac because he acknowledged God was with them in Genesis 21 and 26.

I enjoyed this lesson very much. The only minor thing I noticed was the wording "during His lifetime". Its not wrong insofar as it refers to the time He physically spent on earth in the past but the departing of Christ from earth is one of proximity and not the cessation of His lifetime.  So technically this prophesy will happen in His lifetime. However, it did not not happen before His ascent into Heaven.

3 hours ago, Alan said:

When will the Lord Jesus fulfill the prophecy of Zechariah 8:20-23?

Did the Lord Jesus fulfill the prophecy of, “ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you” during His lifetime? No.

• Members

John Young,

You are correct. I should have worded it more accurately and I will correct the phrase, "during his lifetime."

I appreciate your studious reading of the lesson and I appreciate that you thought the lesson was a blessing to you.

Alan

• Members
15 hours ago, John Young said:

This prophesy reminds me of the time when Abimelech made covenant with Abraham and then later with Issac because he acknowledged God was with them in Genesis 21 and 26.

John Young,

I appreciate your connection of Zechariah 8:20-23 and the two stories of Abimech and Abraham in Genesis 21:22-32 and later the story of Isaac and Laban in Genesis 31:25-55

1. Abraham and Abimelech: Genesis 21:22-32

"And  it came to pass at that  time, that Abimelech and Phichol the chief captain of his host spoke unto Abraham, saying, God is with thee in all that thou doest." Genesis 21:22

God was with Abraham. The relationship between God and Abraham was very close and very good.  God was truly with Abraham and Abimelech recognized it.

2. Isaac and Laban: Genesis 31:25-55

"It is in the power of my hand to do you hurt: but the God of your father spake unto me yesternight, saying, Take thou heed that thou speak not to Jacob either good or bad." Genesis 31:29

"The God of Abraham, and the God of Nahor, the God of their father, judge betwix us. And Jacob sware by the fear of his father Isaac." Genesis 31:53

Even though Laban did not care for Jacob, Laban warned by God not to harm Jacob as God was with Jacob. God can, and he will, protect those who trust in Him.

John Young, thank you very much for bringing these two stories to our attention. Both incidents illustrate the will of God as concerning the Jews and the prophecy of Zechariah 8:20-23 Your comments were a welcome addition to the lesson.

Brethren,

Are there any other stories in the scriptures that any one of you want to bring to our attention in connection to Zechariah 8:20-23?

If there any other points in Zechariah 8:20-23 that you want to discuss, that would be a blessing to us, please bring it to our attention. or, if there are any items in the lesson that needs clarification please let me know.

Alan

• Members

"...For we have heard that God is with you." (End of Zech. 8:23)  Oh that, that could be said of His own today!  Can people see that there's something about our faith worth having?  Are we peculiarly different than the world?  Are His light and work being manifested outwardly from within?  Sigh...

Alan, if you could briefly clarify Rev. 20:5 for me a bit more, I'd sure appreciate it.  Thank you again for another great lesson.

Edited by WellWithMySoul