• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Revelation Bible Study.

• Members
1 hour ago, Genevanpreacher said:

Of course the word 'Jews' did occur starting in 2 Kings, WAY AFTER Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, as well as all of the original 12 tribe 'namees'! But never in the singular person way.

Hence, even though men have adopted the term Jew today as 'anyone' who is Jewish, it never represented the Whole House of Israel.

I don't know GP...unless I'm missing something, I find places in the Bible; in which, the term "Jews" represents all of Hebraic descent...

Was Passover only required of the tribes of Judah and Benjamin, or was it for all of Israel?

John 2:13
And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem,

Was the Feast of Tabernacles only required of the tribes of Judah and Benjamin, or was it for all of Israel?

John 7:2
Now the Jews' feast of tabernacles was at hand.

When the disciples were scattered, did they seek out to preach to only those of the tribes of Judah and Benjamin?

Acts 11:19
Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only.

Were the synagogues in Cyprus composed of only those from the tribes of Judah and Benjamin?

Acts 13:5
And when they were at Salamis, they preached the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews: and they had also John to their minister.

What about those at Antioch? Was Paul and Barnabas only washing their hands of Judah and Benjamin by declaring they would now turn to the Gentiles?

Acts 13:42-46
42   And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
43   Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.
44   And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.
45   But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming.
46   Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.

For the sake of space, I won't list 2 chapters, but what about all of those references to "the Jews" that Paul uses in Romans 2 - 3? Especially how he compares Jews and Gentiles? Is he only referring to the tribes of Benjamin and Judah?

When Paul referred to the Jews' religion, was that religion only for the tribes of Judah and Benjamin...or was it for all of Hebraic descent?

Galatians 1:13-14
13   For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
14   And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

• Members
2 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I don't know GP...unless I'm missing something, I find places in the Bible; in which, the term "Jews" represents all of Hebraic descent...

Was Passover only required of the tribes of Judah and Benjamin, or was it for all of Israel?

John 2:13
And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem,

Was the Feast of Tabernacles only required of the tribes of Judah and Benjamin, or was it for all of Israel?

John 7:2
Now the Jews' feast of tabernacles was at hand.

When the disciples were scattered, did they seek out to preach to only those of the tribes of Judah and Benjamin?

Acts 11:19
Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only.

Were the synagogues in Cyprus composed of only those from the tribes of Judah and Benjamin?

Acts 13:5
And when they were at Salamis, they preached the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews: and they had also John to their minister.

What about those at Antioch? Was Paul and Barnabas only washing their hands of Judah and Benjamin by declaring they would now turn to the Gentiles?

Acts 13:42-46
42   And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
43   Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.
44   And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.
45   But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming.
46   Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.

For the sake of space, I won't list 2 chapters, but what about all of those references to "the Jews" that Paul uses in Romans 2 - 3? Especially how he compares Jews and Gentiles? Is he only referring to the tribes of Benjamin and Judah?

When Paul referred to the Jews' religion, was that religion only for the tribes of Judah and Benjamin...or was it for all of Hebraic descent?

Galatians 1:13-14
13   For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
14   And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

Well NN, those are good questions.

When you notice - that the Kingdom of Israel, (the northern tribes, called Samaria), which was separated from the Kingdom of Judah, (the southern tribes, called Jews) mentioned in the OT books,[hence the hateful division between the Samaritans and the Jews in Jesus' day], and as a body of Israelites, have never returned to Israel, except a few scattered here and there - you will see the reason why Paul mentions the Jews by name in the verses you quote. The very low population of returning Jews to Jerusalem, the city of David, in the land of JUDAH, testifies to this fact - besides the only tribes mentioned in the return were of Judah and Benjamin and Levi, in the books of the OT where it is recorded - you may find answers to those questions. Just look up Jews in any Bible search engine and follow the verses to see it. It is very interesting to see what we aren't normally taught in church about the return to the land of Israel of the Jews, not of the whole House of Israel.

Jesus Christ was of the lineage of Judah. That does not make him a follower of the "Jews' religion" - which was the, then, modern teaching of Judaism, which was far from being what Moses had taught. So he was a bloodline Jew, but not a religious Jew - the religious Jew of that day.

And as for Gentiles - the common teaching goes like this - anyone not a Jew, is a gentile - which makes anyone, (including the tribes of the northern Kingdom of Israel), gentiles - needing adoption into the Israel of God.

• Members

Just to make sure that I'm clear then, is it your belief that only Judah, Benjamin, and Levi comprised the nation that returned from the exile (and a few scattered ones from the other tribes); therefore, the only people (of Hebrew descent) living in Israel (during the time of Christ and the apostles) were from those three tribes?

Acts 26:1-7
1   Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Thou art permitted to speak for thyself. Then Paul stretched forth the hand, and answered for himself:
2   I think myself happy, king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before thee touching all the things whereof I am accused of the Jews:
3   Especially because I know thee to be expert in all customs and questions which are among the Jews: wherefore I beseech thee to hear me patiently.
4   My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, know all the Jews;
5   Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.
6   And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers:
7   Unto which promise our twelve tribes, instantly serving God day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, king Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews.

Paul referred to all 12 tribes as being in existence with a hope (present tense) in seeing the promise made by God fulfilled.

James also referred to all 12 tribes as being in existence at the time of his writing...

James 1:1
James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

I'm not arguing with you, but in my understanding based on what I see in the Bible...the term "Jews" of the New Testament was a term that included people from all of the tribes of Israel. I also think that since the names of the 12 tribes will be on the 12 gates of the holy Jerusalem that descends from heaven, then God certainly wasn't finished with the 10 Northern tribes. From what I can recall from my study of it, God's punishments (of the Northern kingdom) were...

1. to take their kingdom from them, and...
  2. that they would never have their kingdom restored.

I'd have to study it again to make sure, but that's what I recall.

Revelation 21:9-12
9   And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
10   And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,
11   Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;
12   And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:

• Members

I am not saying the other 10 tribes didn't exist at all. They did and still do. And they are getting to see the Lords work on the cross just like their brothers the Jews do. Just under the guise of the term 'gentiles'.

You quoted James. He tells it all right there.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members
12 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

GP, I agree with your basic concept; whereas, the term "Jew" was originally derived from "Judah". However, I also believe that the term eventually became synonymous with, and included all those of Hebraic descent. Paul said the following...

Romans 11:1 - I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

Philippians 3:5 - Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;

Paul was an Israelite, a descendent of Abraham, of the stock of Israel, a Hebrew of the Hebrews, and he was from the tribe of Benjamin. Yet, Paul also said...

Acts 21:39 - But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city: and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people.

No Nicolaitans,

Thanks! Good exposition. You stated it better than I could have. I do apprecite your additional thoughts to the study.

Alan

19 hours ago, Genevanpreacher said:

Alan,

You state:

"The liberal, modernist, wolves in sheep’s clothing, and false teachers in the various churches, cannot understand (or appreciate), the testimony of the scriptures concerning the work of Christ, typology, and His character." I still agree with this statement. Alan

And:

"I must remind the reader that Charles Laymon uses the Revised Standard Version of the Bible."

Along with:

"Charles Laymon is unable to understand the typology of the scriptures. Therefore, he is spiritually not discerned and his teaching on Preterism is erroneous. Charles Laymon and the Jehovah’s Witnesses are also in agreement with this faulty translation."

Do I understand you correctly that because they use this faulty version they are blind to the true interpretation of scripture? I did not state that line of reasoning. The three sentences are clearly separated from one another according to their own subject matter. I do not agree with your reasoning. For example, even when the JW's used the King James Version (before they had the New World Translation), they were faulty with their intrerpretation of the scriptures. Alan 

If so, does the reverse apply to those who use the proper version? As I stated in my previous statement, I do not hold to your line of reasoning. I gave you an example that the JW's were faulty with their doctrine even when they used the King James Version. Alan 

If so, why would you make this statement: This statment does not apply to my previous answers. Alan

"The Lord Jesus is a Jew. Anybody in the linage of Abraham is a Jew. The Jews, whether lost or saved, are the brethren of the Lord Jesus. “He came unto his own, and his own received him not.”John 1:11 The Lord Jesus, a Jew, came into His own people, the Jewish nation of Israel, but, only a remnant received Him as Saviour."

You state that "Jesus was a Jew". You are correct. He was of the tribe of Judah. Because the OT word in the original language where we get "Jew" is "a descendant of Judah".I agree with No Nicolatians usage of Romans 11:1, Philippians 3:5 and Acts 21:39 concerning your statement. Alan

You state "Anybody in the linage of Abraham is a Jew" and you are wrong. The Judah from which the name Jew originates was not born for several decades. Abraham was never a Jew. See my answer above. Alan

You state "...the Jewish nation of Israel..." as if Israel were only Jews, and you are wrong. There were Reubenites, Simeonites, Levites, Judahites, Danites, Naphtalites, Gadites, Asherites, Issacharites, Zebulunites, Josephites, and Benjamites. The Apostle Paul was of the tribe of Benjamin, not Judah, and he considered himself a Jew. Alan

Jews, according to every Hebrew and Chaldee source, means "descendants of Judah" or "Judahites".  The Apostle Paul, of the tribe of Benjamin, of the seed of Abraham, called himself a Jew. Maybe, you might consider changing your "source" of information. Alan

What do you think? Does it really matter what I think? See my above statement. Alan

Is it accurate to make these statements? Especially when there are no sources to say such? In your statement, you already consider me to be inaccurate without proven fact. Furthermore, according to your question, you make the claim that I have no accurate sources. Therefore, I consider your question a baiting question, I considedr it a invalid question, and I will not answer it. Alan

Maybe you could enlarge on this a bit? No, I do not intend to enlarge on my statements.. The Apostle Paul's statement as No  Nicolaitans quoted Romans 11:1, Philippians 3:5 and Acts 21:39, is sufficient for me. Alan.

Genevanpreacher,

I have no intention getting into a debate on the subject of who is a Jew and who is not. My statements stand as I wrote them and as No Nicolaitans expoinded on them with quoting Romans 11:1, Philippians 3:5 and Acts 21:39

Alan

• Members

Alan, I hope you understand that the tactic being used here is to distract from the subject of the thread.

Since he is not able to argue the actual points, he is attempting to derail with an insigificant side issue

It is my suggestion that this subject either be taken to its own thread or simply ignored here so that the thread can continue its proper course.

This is the way I deal with false teachers at my door - reject their attempts to change the subject when they don't like the direction of the conversation and keep to the important points.

• Members
1 minute ago, DaveW said:

Alan, I hope you understand that the tactic being used here is to distract from the subject of the thread.

Since he is not able to argue the actual points, he is attempting to derail with an insigificant side issue

It is my suggestion that this subject either be taken to its own thread or simply ignored here so that the thread can continue its proper course.

This is the way I deal with false teachers at my door - reject their attempts to change the subject when they don't like the direction of the conversation and keep to the important points.

DaveW,

Thank you.

Brethren,

I am in complete agreement with Dave. His suggestion is apporpriate. I do not want the lessons on Millenium, and the prophecies concerning the Millenial reign of Christ in the Old Testament, to be derailed by side issues. The side issues can be better dealt with in another thread.

Alan

• Members
On ‎2015‎年‎9‎月‎13‎日 at 8:06 PM, Alan said:

Lesson # 16: Joel 3:18; 2:24-26

Brethren,

Thank you for the responses, likes, questions, and encouragment, that have been brought up so far in our study of the prophecies of the Old Testament that deal with the Millenial reign of Christ as revealed in Revelation 20:4-6

I will be starting  lesson # 16, Joel 3:18 and 2:24-26, in the near future. It may be awhile though before I can finish it.

God Bless!

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Brethren,

I am in the process of starting Lesson # 16. In the process of writing it, I will do it in two parts: Part 1 will be Joel 2:21-27 and Part 2 will be on Joel 3:18-21

Also, there have been several new members of OnLine Baptist since I started this series of lessons on prophecies from the Old Testament prophets on Revelation 20:4-6, "The 1000 Year Reign of Christ." If any of these new members would like to ask questions of any of the previous lessons, or otherwise comment on them, I do not mind. It is my thought to be a blessing to all of you in teaching these passages, to help with your understanding of biblical prophetical truth, and to separate truth from error concerning prophecy. 

God bless!

Alan

Edited by Alan
added the word, 'Reign.'

• Members

Lesson # 16 Part 1 of 2

Overview of the Book of Joel

The prophet Joel is relating to the nation of Israel what God had previously warned them in Leviticus chapter 26 (specifically Leviticus 26:14-20). Leviticus 26:20 says, “And your strength shall be spent in vain: for your land shall not yield her increase, neither shall the trees of the land yield their fruits.” The Prophet Joel is proclaiming that God cursed the land due to their sins.

In Joel 1:4 Joel instructed the Jews concerning how God destroyed their land, “That which the palmerworm hath left hath the locust eaten; and that which the locust hath left the cankerworm eaten; and that which the cankerworm hath left hath the caterpillar eaten.” The Prophet Joel plainly stated that the insects that devoured the crops of the land of Israel were an army of insects sent from God. “And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you.”  Joel 2:25

The scriptures are very clear that God has the rule over all creation; from the worm on the ground, to the rod in a man’s hands, to the mouth of a raven, and to the stars in their courses above. God has the ability to cause the rocks to shout His praises if He so desires, and He has the ability to take a piece of dirt to bring Him honor and glory. “Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised in the city of our God, in the mountain of his holiness.” Psalm 48:1

Joel’s Two-Fold Purpose & Examples

The Prophet Joel preached the Jews the judgment of God on the land of Israel, for Israel to return to the LORD, the ministers of the LORD to repent, and the eventual restoration of the land of Israel. All of these prophecies were directed to the Jews in the age of Joel and to the Jews in the end times as recorded in the Book of Revelation.  

In Joel 2:1-11 we have not only a description of the destruction of the land of Israel at the time of Joel but we can clearly see the events that Joel prophesied as a description of the events of the entire world (not just Israel), as spoken by the Prophet John in Revelation 6:1-19:21

The destruction that the prophet Joel refers to is not only to the destruction in his age to the land of Israel, but to the entire world as depicted in Revelation 6:1-19:21 Read carefully Joel 1:15; 2:1-2, & 31 Joel 3:1-17 is clearly referring to the end times as depicted in Revelation 6:1-19:21

Revelation 6:8, “And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name was that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the field.”

Revelation 9:18, “By these three was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths.”

In Joel 2:12-14 Joel preaches the need of repentance, from the heart, and a trust in the mercy of God for deliverance. As Joel was preaching trusting in the heart on the grace of God I can just imagine him reminding the Jews of Exodus 34:5-7. In our age, Ephesians 2:8 and 9 is the New Testament equivalent of Exodus 34:5-7 and Joel 2:12-14

The two prophets preaching in the Tribulation period, Revelation 11:1-12, will easily use the Law, the Prophets, and the commandments of the Lord Jesus, together in their preaching. So, the scriptures reveal, “Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.” Revelation 14:12

The Character of God and the Lord Jesus as Revealed by Joel

Some of the prophecies of Joel are not only literal blessings for the land of Israel, but, they are indicative of the spiritual blessings that God in the Old Testament, and the Lord Jesus in the New Testament, desire to bless the saints. In the book of Joel, we can see the character of the Lord Jesus as the visible manifestation of the character of God. Once we see the heart of the Lord Jesus, we can see the heart of God. “Jesus saith unto him [Philip], have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?” John 14:9

So, in the book of Joel (as with the other prophets), we can clearly see due to the “kindness”  of God, God desires to bless His people with eternal life, spiritual blessings, and physical blessings, Joel 2:13. Even in the midst of Judgment, the Cross of the Lord Jesus was Judgment on our sin, is the kindness of God to bring individuals to salvation and blessings. “But after that the kindness and the love of God our Saviour toward man appeared.” Titus 3:4

The commandments of the Law, the prophets, and the commandments of the Lord Jesus, fit hand in glove when used properly. The Apostle Paul clearly taught, “But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully.” 1 Timothy 1:8 A lot of teachers in our age are like the false teachers in the church at Galatia. They do not know how to teach the Law. The false teachers used the Law for the salvation of their soul. They do not know the purpose of the Law. Therefore, false teachers do not know how to use the Law lawfully.

The prophecies, and preaching, of Joel are not only true and relevant in his days, but in our age, the Tribulation Period, and the Millennium, as well. I will endeavor to bring out some of the blessings given to the saint in the church age as well as the specific promises to restore the nation of Israel.

Joel 2:21-27, “The Restoration of the Land of Israel.”

Joel 2:21-27, “Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice: for the LORD will do great things. Be not afraid, ye beasts of the field: for the pastures of the wilderness do spring, for the tree beareth her fruit, the fig tree and the vine do yield their strength. Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for he hath given you the former rain moderately, and he will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month. And the floors shall be full of wheat, and the vats shall overflow with wine and oil. And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent unto you. And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed.” 

“Fear not …” God does not want His people to fear the events of this world nor of the world to come. The Lord Jesus does not want His people to fear the events of this world nor of the world to come. 

“O land …” is a direct reference to the land of Israel promised by God to Abraham, and his descendants. “And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him.” Genesis 12:7 God promised, before the Law and without any conditions attached, the land to the descendants of Abraham ‘forever.’ “For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed forever.” Genesis 13:15

Nothing, including the law of Moses, cannot disannul, this promise. “And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that is should make the promise of none effect.” Galatians 3:17

“… be glad and rejoice …” God wants His people to be glad and rejoice. The prophet Joel had previously mentioned, in Joel 1:8-13, that, due to shame caused by the sins of the people, joy was withered away. The shame of the sins of the saints in either Testament cause joy to be absent   

from God’s people.

The Lord Jesus wants His people to be glad and to rejoice. “Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.” Philippians 4:4

“… for the LORD will do great things.” All of the works of God are great things. All of the works of the Lord Jesus are great things. “And he [the maniac of the Gadarenes] departed, and began to publish in Decapolis how great things Jesus had done for him: and all men did marvel.” Mark 5:20 “And were beyond measure astonished, saying, He hath done all things well: he maketh both the deaf to hear, and the dumb to speak.” Mark 7:37

When a saint, in either Testament, walks with the Lord, then that person will experience great things in his life.

“…Be not afraid …” “And when I [the Apostle John] saw him [the glorified Lord Jesus], I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last.” Revelation 1:17

“…for he hath given you the former rain moderately, and he will cause to some down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month. And the floors shall be full of wheat, and the vats shall overflow with wine and oil.” This thought of the blessing of the land was also in the preaching of Zechariah. “Ask ye of the LORD rain in the time of the latter rain; so the LORD shall make bright clouds, and give them showers of rain, to every grass in the field.” Zechariah 10:1

The prophet Amos foretold, “Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and the hills shall melt.” Amos 9:13

The Lord knows that without adequate rain man will die. And, without adequate rain, or an aqueduct system, nations have to import food to provide the proper physical nourishment of its citizens.

The blessings of the fruit of the ground are through adequate rainfall. As rain falls, or through an irrigation system bringing water from one place it has fallen to another, the crops are nourished, grow, and provide man the proper nourishment for life and happiness.

The nation of Israel suffered a severe drought in the time of Joel and now Joel is prophesying of a time of physical blessings in the land of Israel for the physical blessings of the fruit of the land.

This prophecy of Joel is similar to the prophecies of Isaiah and Jeremiah: specifically Isaiah 35:1-10 and 45:18-21 and Jeremiah 30:17, “For I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, saith the LORD; because they called thee an Outcast, saying, This is Zion, whom no man seeketh after.”

This prophecy of Joel, Isaiah, and Jeremiah, is literal and observable and has not been fulfilled. Therefore, the healing of the physical land, the agriculture, and the health of the citizens of Israel is still future.

“And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm …” The prophecy of Joel, and the passages in Isaiah and Jeremiah, concerning the restoration of Israel have not been yet fulfilled.

The Biblical Measurement of Restoration

God has given the nation of Israel measurable, literal, and observable, standards when the nation of Israel is in their proper relationship with Him. When Moses was leading the nation of Israel, God blessed them with physical blessings in Egypt and in the Wilderness Wandering. The rule of King David, King Solomon, King Asa, King Jehoshaphat, and King Hezekiah, are also measurable yardsticks of the blessings of God on Israel when they are in a right relationship with God.

The nation of Israel was in a backslidden condition at the time of Christ and during the Church Age. During the Tribulation period, God slowly moves the nation back to restoration. The restoration of the nation of Israel is in full development once Christ sits on His throne.

Here are some verses on observable measurements when the nation of Israel is restored to its right relationship with God.

Deuteronomy 15:1-6 National financial freedom from borrowing. Furthermore, God said, “The Lord shall open unto thee his good treasure, the heaven to give the rain unto thy land in his season, and to bless all the work of thine hand: and thou shalt lend unto many nations, and thou shalt not borrow.” Deuteronomy 28:12

Deuteronomy 20:1-8 A national dependence on God alone for the physical protection from war. “For the LORD your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.” Deuteronomy 20:4

“Then upon Jahaziel the son of Zechariah, the son of Beniah, the son of Jeiel, the son of Mattaniah, a Levite of the sons of Asaph, came the spirit of the LORD in the midst of the congregation; And he said, Hearken ye, all Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem, and thou King Jehoshaphat, Thus saith the LORD unto you, be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God’s. To-morrow go ye down against them: behold, they come up by the cliff of Ziz; and ye shall find them at the end of the brook, before the wilderness of Jeruel. Ye shall not need to fight in this battle: set yourselves, stand ye still, and see the salvation of the LORD with you, O Judah and Jerusalem: fear not, nor be dismayed; to-morrow go out against them: for the LORD will be with you.” 2 Chronicles 20:14-17

When the nation of Israel is restored, there will be no need for the nuclear arsenal and standing army the Jews currently trust in.

Also, King Hezekiah, 2 Kings 19:34-37, is an example of the physical protection of the nation of Israel as promised in Deuteronomy 20:4, from an aggressor.

Deuteronomy 28:1-14 “The Lord shall open unto thee his good treasure, the heaven to give the rain unto thy land in his season, and to bless all the work of thine hand: and thou shalt lend unto many nations, and thou shalt not borrow.” Deuteronomy 28:12

The prophet Isaiah prophesied, “And I will turn my hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away thy tin: And I will restore thy judges as at the first, and thy counsellors as at the beginning: afterward thou shalt be called, The city of righteousness, the faithful city, Zion shall be redeemed with judgment, and her converts with righteousness.” Isaiah 1:25-27 Among other items, the prophet Isaiah is very specific about the judges and counsellors. None of the prophecies of Isaiah in Isaiah 1:25-27 concerning the restoration of Zion have been fulfilled.

The only time that the prophecy of the restoration of Israel as foretold by Isaiah (in Isaiah 1:25-27), can be fulfilled is when the Messiah, the Lord Jesus, sits on the throne of His glory. “And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, that ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.” Matthew 19:28

This includes the 12 Apostles of the Lord Jesus sitting as “judges” as Isaiah prophesied and as Revelation 20:4 clearly states. “And I saw thrones, and they that sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.” Revelation 20:4

The prophet Amos also foretold of the restoration of the agricultural products of the nation of Israel. “Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and the hills shall melt.” Amos 9:13

Joel’s Prophecy is Unfulfilled

The apostles knew the prophecy of Joel, the companion passages in Isaiah and Jeremiah, the promises of God in Deuteronomy, and the prophecy of Amos, were not fulfilled.

As the Lord Jesus was about to ascend into heaven the apostles asked, “…Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?” Acts 1:7 So, it is obvious that the years of the desolation of the land of Israel brought about by the sins of the people were not fulfilled at the time of the ascension of the Lord Jesus.

The restoration of the land of Israel was not accomplished during the Church Age, nor was the promise of the restoration of Israel given to the church in any form or fashion. Since the War of Independence in May 1948, the nation of Israel has been under constant economic, social, agricultural, military aggression, and monetary turmoil.

The nation of Israel has risen in economic prowess, and is considered a developed nation, but, it is not anywhere near the blessings that the Lord promised in various passages in the book of Deuteronomy.

Joel clearly points out the agricultural output will be restored to the nation of Israel. This has not come to pass. I will give four recent examples in the agricultural state of affairs in Israel that indicate that Joel’s prophecy is unfulfilled.

One. According to the World Bank, the nation of Israel in 2016 was still importing agricultural products (besides other necessities). “Food imports (% of merchandise imports) in Israel was last measured at 8.41 in 2015, according to the World Bank.”[1]

Besides being dependent on the United States for their security, Israel is dependent on numerous imports to keep their people fed and their economy afloat.

Two. According to the official Israeli reports, the nation of Israel has, as recent as 2014, a negative trade balance. “In 2014, Israel exported $53.7B and imported $62.7B, resulting in a negative trade balance of $9B.”[2] “The Lord shall open unto thee his good treasure, the heaven to give the rain unto thy land in his season, and to bless all the work of thine hand: and thou shalt lend unto many nations, and thou shalt not borrow.” Deuteronomy 28:12 is unfulfilled.

Three. According to Wikipedia, the gross external debt is huge. “Gross External Debt: $112 billion (31 December 2011 est.; 40th).[3]

“The Lord shall open unto thee his good treasure, the heaven to give the rain unto thy land in his season, and to bless all the work of thine hand: and thou shalt lend unto many nations, and thou shalt not borrow.” Deuteronomy 28:12 is unfulfilled.

Four. According to Wikipedia, the nation of Israel must import products, including grain and wheat, to feed its own people. “Import Goods raw materials, military and defense equipment, aircraft parts, motor vehicles, consumer electronics, investment goods, mechanical machinery, and related parts, rough diamonds, petroleum, fuels, grain and wheat, consumer goods.”[4]

Furthermore, the restoration of the land of Israel is obviously not fulfilled during the Tribulation Period, Revelation 6:1-19:21

The Time of Restitution

The Apostle Peter preached, “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.” Acts 3:19-21

Webster’s 1828 gives the definition of, “Restitution of all things,” as: Restitution of all things, the putting the world in a holy and happy state. Acts iii”[5]

The prophecies of the Old Testament prophets have not all been fulfilled, nor has the world been put, “in a holy and happy state.” The events of the book of Revelation are revealed to us so we can know how God is going to, “put the world in a holy and happy state.” When the Lord Jesus ascended into heaven He will stay there until the “times of restitution of all things,” as God ordained by the prophets, is accomplished.

The prophecies of the Old Testament include the reconciliation, and restoration, of the nation of Israel. The apostle Paul revealed the reconciliation, and fullness, of the nation of Israel in  Romans 11:1-28

For if the casting away of them [Israel] be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life form the dead?” Romans 11:15

“For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved; as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob.” Romans 11:25 & 26

Therefore, the restoration of the land of Israel, or the time of restitution, is fulfilled when the Lord Jesus returns as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS as recorded in Revelation 19:11-21 and He begins the 1000 Year Millennial Reign of Christ as depicted in Revelation 20:4-6

The Preterist and Jehovah’s Witnesses’ False Teaching

Concerning the Restoration of the Nation of Israel

The Preterist and the Jehovah’s Witnesses both spiritualize and figuratively twist the promises and prophecies given to the Jews. The Preterist and the Jehovah’s Witnesses do not believe that the prophecy of Joel, and the prophecies of the other Old Testament prophets, literally applies to the nation of Israel. They do not believe that God will restore the nation of Israel to its former glory.

William Hendriksen is a Preterist who is known for his views that the church replaced the nation of Israel, and that the nation of Israel will not be restored. Hendriksen is a proponent of Replacement Theology. Therefore, Hendriksen interprets the book of Revelation by the symbolic and figurative methods as relevant to the church and not to the nation of Israel.

In his interpretation of the two witnesses, Revelation 11:12, Hendriksen interprets it as follows. I must give an extra note at this point, in his commentary Hendriksen has a special note “26 p.272,” listed. This is a note referred to in the “References to Chapter X,” on page 272 of his commentary. I will quote the note also.

Hence, when we read that the corpse of the church is lying on the broad avenues of the great city, 26  p.272 this simply means that in the midst of the world the church is dead: it no longer exists as an influential and powerful missionary institution![6]

26. The term “great city” always refers to Babylon, never to the New and Holy Jerusalem. See D. C. Bouma, Jeruzalem [sp], de Groote Stad, in Geref. Theol. Trijdschrift, Jaargang 36, 1934-1935, p. 93 ff[7]

Hendriksen interprets Revelation 11:11 & 12 by stating that the church is restored and ascends into heaven. Furthermore, Hendriksen then states that the church ascends into heaven and that there is no secret rapture.

The corpse suddenly begins to stir; the breath of life from God has entered it; the witnesses stand upon their feet. In connection with Christ’s second coming the church is restored to life, to honor, to power, to influence! For the world the hour of opportunity is gone and gone forever. On the day of judgment when the world shall see the church restored to honor and glory, the world is frozen with fear. The church – still under the symbolism of the two witnesses – now hears a voice: “Come up hither.” Thereupon the church ascends to heaven upon a cloud of glory. “And their enemies beheld them.” No secret rapture![8]

Hendriksen’s interpretation of Revelation 11:11 & 12, using the symbolic method, is totally erroneous. Hendriksen is a false teacher. Hendriksen (nor other preterists), does not believe that the nation of Israel will be restored according to the Prophet Joel’s prophecy.

According to the clear teaching of Joel 2:17-21 (and the accompanying passages), the nation of Israel is restored. The two witnesses in Revelation 11:1-13 are literal men that were physically dead and bodily raised to life again. Revelation 11:1-13 has absolutely nothing to do with the church, nor with the church being restored to a position of influence in the world.

Furthermore, when the Lord Jesus comes for the church, He is coming in secret, like a thief, exactly as Paul taught in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 and 5:1-6

The teaching of the Jehovah’s Witnesses concerning the restoration of the nation of Israel is just as false (and fanciful), as the teaching of Hendriksen’s. The Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that the Jehovah’s Witnesses organization was “restored,” (instead of the nation of Israel), after a series of legal battles with the United States government in the days after World War 1.

In connection with the teaching on the interpretation of Revelation 11:1-13, the Jehovah’s Witnesses, using the symbolic and figurative methods, teach that it is the Jehovah’s Witnesses which are the object of restoration in the scriptures and not the nation of Israel.

To show their erroneous teaching on restoration, I will need to quote extensively from the Jehovah’s Witnesses book, “Then is Finished the Mystery of God.” So, please bear with me, even though the results are similar, the Jehovah’s Witnesses usage of biblical terminology, symbolism, and figurative speech, is more convoluted than the teaching of Hendriksen.

Today those remaining of this anointed remnant are known world wide as Jehovah’s witnesses. They were also his witnesses back in 1918. They are the ones designated in Revelation 11:3 as “my two witnesses.” Till early in that year, in Canada up to February 12, 1918, and in America up to March 14, 1918, the anointed remnant were publishing and circulating that commentary on the entire book of Revelation, The Finished Mystery, besides Bibles and the six volumes of Studies in the Scriptures that discussed the entire Bible.[9]

According to the teaching of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, the “two witnesses,” are symbolized by the two olive trees and the two lampstands as recorded in Zechariah 4:1-14.[10] So, please take note, throughout the study the “two witnesses,” the “two lampstands,” and the “two olive trees,” represent the published works of the Jehovah’s Witnesses and the members of the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses teach that the ‘anointed remnant’ are the members of the Jehovah’s Witnesses’’ and that the material that they circulate is an extension of the organization. This is contrary to the teaching of Paul the Apostle, who stated, in a direct reference to the Jews who trusted in Christ, “Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.” Romans 11: 5 Paul further clearly brought out to the Romans that “a part” of the Jews are spiritually blinded, not all of them. “For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in.” Romans 11:25

So, whoever is against the Jehovah's Witnesses organization, or their material, is a part of, ‘apostate Christendom’ and/or the ‘wild beast’ from Revelation 13:1 and 2. The 'wild beast,' is “the Devil’s worldwide system of politics.”[11]

Just prior to this, on June 15, 1917, America enacted its military conscription and espionage laws, these being patterned after like laws of the then existing British Empire. So now the means were at hand for the religious clergy to use in inducing the symbolic “wild beast” to wage war on God’s “two witnesses.”[12]

Furthermore, the Jehovah’s Witnesses teach that when a Jehovah’s Witness is arrested by a government authority, than that ‘figuratively speaking’, it is a ‘deathblow,’ and the Jehovah’s Witness are figuratively ‘killed.’ As before, I quote the book as exactly it is written; the usage of all quotation marks, exclamation points, and phraseology, are the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

On America’s Independence Day, July 4, 1918, these eight sentenced Christian witnesses of the Most High God were started on their railroad trip to the United States Federal penitentiary in Atlanta, Georgia. The political “wild beast” had relentlessly carried on its war with God’s “two witnesses” class and apparently had conquered. This culmination of its warfare was, figuratively speaking, a deathblow; it killed God’s “two witnesses,” the anointed remnant, as far as their tormenting prophesying “in sackcloth” was concerned. What a relief this was to their enemies, religious, political, judicial and military! All the evidence available at that time is to the effect that, despite World War 1 troubles, they “rejoiced” over the killing of God’s “two witnesses” and enjoyed themselves in that connection.”[13]

Please note that the Jehovah’s Witnesses consider all those in the religious world, political realm, the judiciary, the military, as their enemies. Therefore, the Jehovah’s Witnesses teach that the clergy and the politicians are at war with the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses consider all religious people outside the fold of the Jehovah’s Witnesses as apostate Christendom and therefore their enemies. One of the reasons (there are several), why it is difficult to reason with a Jehovah’s Witness is that they consider you their enemy.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses blasphemy equate the “killing” of their “two witnesses” with the death of the Lord Jesus on the Cross of Calvary. Please take careful note that the Jehovah’s Witnesses say ‘stake’ instead of ‘cross,’ and use ‘C.E.’ (Common Era), instead of A.D. (anno Domini, the year of our Lord). Furthermore, the Jehovah’s Witnesses consider themselves, “his followers.” They consider all those outside of the Jehovah’s Witnesses as apostates and enemies. Furthermore, the usage of the “anointed remnant” for the Jehovah’s Witnesses is in error and is conceit according to Paul the Apostle (Romans 11:25).

Just as the “their Lord,” Jesus Christ, was killed on a stake at unfaithful Jerusalem in 33 C.E., so his followers, God’s “two witnesses,” the anointed remnant, were ‘killed’ in Christendom.[14]

When the Jehovah’s Witnesses, (that were ‘killed’ when the authorities put them in prison,) were released, the Jehovah Witnesses said that they were symbolically “alive.”

Four days later the eight prisoners were released from the Federal penitentiary in Atlanta, Georgia, and taken on the train to New York city. The next day, March 26, 1919, the Federal Court in Brooklyn, New York, let them go free on bail. Then, indeed, “spirit of life from God” entered into the symbolic corpses of the “two witnesses,” and they became alive to the “witnessing” activity that now lay ahead of them.”[15]

In conclusion, because the Jehovah’s Witnesses symbolic “two lampstands (witnesses),” who were figuratively “killed,” and are now spiritually, “alive,” the worship of Jehovah was restored.

Hence, in being like the “two lampstands” that burned olive oil, the anointed remnant that prophesied in sackcloth for 1,260 days were yet to do a reconstructive work, a restoration of Jehovah’s worship in the earth, a letting of the light of God’s Bible shine forth in all the earth.”[16]

The Jehovah’s Witnesses reject the restoration of the nation of Israel and replace it with a the restoration of their own religious organization.

Brethren, the erroneous teaching of those teachers who teach the symbolic, or figurative, interpretation of Revelation, foremost the preterist and the Jehovah’s Witnesses, are ignorant of the future, and literal, restoration of the nation of Israel.

“… my great army which I sent unto you.” God will restore the many years of damage that His army of insects caused.

“And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: …” When the Lord Jesus, sits on His throne in Jerusalem, as recorded in Revelation 20:4-6 the nation of Israel will eat plentifully, praise the name of the Lord, be satisfied, and rejoice for the wondrous works of God.  

“… and my people shall never be ashamed.” A saint, in any dispensation, is not ashamed of the work of God in his life. Quoting Isaiah 49:23, and indirectly Joel 2:27, the apostle Paul said, “For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.” Romans 10:11

“And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree.” Romans 11:17. The nation of Israel is likened to the Olive Tree in the scriptures. The Gentiles are likened to a wild Olive Tree in the scriptures. The Apostle Paul lets the Gentiles know that, as a wild olive tree, they were grafted into the natural Olive Tree. The church does not replace Israel, the born again believers in the church of the living God, are grafted into Israel.

Therefore, the Gentile brethren are partakers of the spiritual blessings, through the grace of the Lord Jesus (Ephesians 2:1-22), given to the nation of Israel and can be called, along with the nation of Israel, “my people.” “Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles? As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.” Romans 9:24-26 The Apostle Paul first quoted Hosea 2:23 and then Hosea 1:9 & 10

The prophet Joel, and Hosea, not only gives us an understanding of the work of God leading up to the restoration of the nation of Israel, but, through the grace of the Lord Jesus, Gentiles can be also called, “the people of God.” Is not God wonderful and great in all of His works?

"And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: …" God is clearly stating that He will dwell in the restored nation of Israel. There is no figure of speech in this prophecy.

1]http://www.tradingeconomics.com/israel/food-imports-percent-of-merchandise-imports-wb-data.html

[5] “Restitution of all things.” American Dictionary of the English Language, Noah Webster, 1828. Cincinnati, OH: C.J.   Krehbiel Co., 2000

[6] Hendriksen, William, More than Conquerors, (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1939), p. 158.

[7] Hendriksen, William, More than Conquerors, (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1939), p. 272.

[8] Hendriksen, William, More than Conquerors, (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1939), p. 158.

[9] Jehovah’s Witnesses, Then is Finished the Mystery of God, (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society: New York, 1969), p. 264.

[10] Jehovah’s Witnesses, Then is Finished the Mystery of God, (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society: New York, 1969), p. 265.

[11] Jehovah’s Witnesses, Then is Finished the Mystery of God, (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society: New York, 1969), p. 269.

[12] Jehovah’s Witnesses, Then is Finished the Mystery of God, (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society: New York, 1969), p. 270.

[13] Jehovah’s Witnesses, Then is Finished the Mystery of God, (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society: New York, 1969), p. 271.

[14] Jehovah’s Witnesses, Then is Finished the Mystery of God, (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society: New York, 1969), p. 273.

[15] Jehovah’s Witnesses, Then is Finished the Mystery of God, (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society: New York, 1969), p. 277.

[16] Jehovah’s Witnesses, Then is Finished the Mystery of God, (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society: New York, 1969), p. 266.

Edited by Alan
spelling grammer (2) and added the last sentence

• Administrators

Does any one know what the JW's were convicted of in court? There seems to be more than one instance of court proceedings against them. One seems to be against Rutherford. There also seemed to be litigation against them in Scotland I believe. Anyone know about this?