• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Revelation Bible Study.

• Members

Jeremiah 23:7 & 8 and Matthew 24:31, “… and they shall gather his elect...”

Jeremiah 23: 7 & 8, “Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that they shall no more say, The LORD liveth, which brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt; But, the LORD liveth, which brought up and which led the seed of the house of Israel out of the land of north country, and from all the countries whither I had driven them; and they shall dwell in their own land.”

Matthew 24:31 “And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.”

Concerning the house of Israel being the elect, the Apostle Paul clearly states in Romans 11 that God has not cast away His elect, His chosen, the Israelites and that, in every age, there is a remnant of the chosen (the root word of elect is to choose), Jews. Romans 11:1, “I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin… Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. ” Therefore, the “elect' in Matthew 24:31 is the saved remnant of the house of Israel.

The children of Israel out of the land of Egypt” has only one correct interpretation, and that is the Exodus of the children of Jacob, the Jews, from the country of Egypt under the leadership of Moses.

...and which led the house of Israel out of the land of the north country, and from all the countries whither I had driven them...” also has only one interpretation, and that is when God drove the Jews out from Jerusalem in 70 A. D. into the four corners of the earth due to their iniquities and the rejection of the Lord Jesus as the Messiah as the Lord Jesus prophesied in Matthew 23:36 & 24:1-3

But, the LORD liveth, which brought up and which led the seed of the house of Israel out of the land of north country, and from all the countries whither I had driven them; and they shall dwell in their own land.” The only correct interpretation of this prophecy is the gathering of the house of Israel from the various countries of the world that they have been wandering in since 70 A. D. to be gathered back to the physical land of Israel as written in Matthew 24:31

The prophet Isaiah prophesied, “And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall set his hand again the second time to recover the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria, and from Egypt, and from Pathros, and from Cush, and from Elam, and from Shinar, and from Hamath, and from the islands of the sea. And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.” Isaiah 11:11 & 12,

Isaiah clearly stated, “... the second time to recover the remnant of his people ...” the first time the Lord recovered Israel was with Moses and the Exodus from Egypt. Therefore, the second is a clear reference to the gathering of the house of Israel from the affliction that they suffer under the hands of the anti-Christ during the 7 year Tribulation period as revealed in Revelation chapter 6-19.

“… and from the islands of the sea.” The second time of the recovery of the house of Israel “from the islands of the sea” did not take place after the Babylonian Captivity, nor any time since then. Nor can “ and from the islands of the sea” be symbolic, figurative, or in any fashion refer to the Gentile saints in the New Testament church age. Therefore, at the only time this can occur is at the gathering of the elect as prophesied by the Lord Jesus in Matthew 24:31.

The Lord Jesus prophesied, “And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.” Matthew 24:31 The words of the Lord Jesus prophesying the gathering of the “elect,” or, as Jeremiah states, “the house of Israel,” or as Isaiah states, “the outcasts of Israel,” is in fulfillment of Jeremiah 23:7 & 8 and Isaiah 11:11 & 12

The Context of Matthew 24

Matthew chapter 23 and 24 are clearly linked together. Both of these chapters are dealing with the judgment of the house of Israel, and the restoration, after “the times of the Gentiles” are over. Both of these chapters are dealing primarily with the house of Israel and not with the saints in the church.

In Matthew chapter 23 we have the utter condemnation of the nation, or house, or, the sons of Israel. The Lord Jesus exposed the hypocrisy, the unbelief, the spiritual blindness, the iniquity, the extortion, of the Scribes and Pharisees, of the house of Israel. The Lord Jesus plainly stated that God in heaven would judge the house of Israel for their iniquities.

The Prophecy of the Lord Jesus in Matthew 23:37-39

The Lord Jesus concluded Matthew chapter 23 with this word of judgment and eventual restoration of the house of Israel. The Lord Jesus in Matthew 23:37-39 prophesies of the future salvation of the house of Israel, “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.”

The prophet Hosea prophesied of the time when the house of Israel, after their affliction in the end times, would acknowledge their offenses against God, and return to the Lord, “I will go and return to my place, till they acknowledge their offense, and seek my face: in their affliction they will seek me early.” Hosea 5:15

The Lord Jesus foreknows that as the “time of Jacob's trouble” and “the time of affliction” commences, as the two prophets of God, Revelation 11: 1-7, prophesy, and the 144,000 Jewish evangelists prophesy, is the time the house of Israel, a remnant, will be converted. Romans 11:26, “And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob.”

After the conversion of the Jews, the children of the house of Jacob, as a nation, say, “Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord” exactly as the Lord Jesus prophesied. And then, the Lord Jesus will return, as Hosea prophesied in Hosea 5:15 and the Apostle Peter prophesied in Acts 3:21

In Matthew chapter 24 the Lord Jesus gave express details concerning the judgments, including the destruction of the Temple, the sorrows the Jews must endure, before the conversion experience of the house of Israel.

• Members

The Shepherd of the House of Israel will Gather His Scattered Flock

In the context Jeremiah 23:7& 8, we read in Jeremiah 23:1 & 2 of the false shepherds scattering the flock of the house of Israel. God gave this prophecy, and promise, that one day, He, will gather the scattered flock of the house of Israel back to the fold of Israel and they, the house of Israel, would again be fruitful in the land. Jeremiah 23:3 & 4, “And I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all countries whither I have driven them, and will bring them again to their folds; and they shall be fruitful and increase. And I will set up shepherds over them which shall feed them: and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall they be lacking, saith the LORD.”

The Lord Jesus is the Good Shepherd and in Matthew 24:31 the Lord Jesus is gathering the house of Israel back to the fold of Israel. There is no “rising” to meet the Lord in air in Matthew 24:31 there is a gathering of the elect remnant of the house of Israel returning to the land Israel during the 7 Year Tribulation Period as prophesied by Jeremiah.

The American Heritage dictionary meaning for 'gather' is: “»v. 1a. To bring or come together. b. To draw (someone or something) closer to oneself. c. to draw (e. g., cloth) into small folds or puckers. 2. To harvest or pick. 3. To conclude; infer; I gather you're ready. 4. To summon up: gathered up my courage. 5. To accumulate gradually: The bookshelf gathered dust. 6. To gain by process of gradual increase: gather speed »n. 1. An act of gathering. 2. A small fold or pucker in cloth. - gatherer n. - gathering n.”1

In the context of Jeremiah 23:7-8, Isaiah 11:11-12, Matthew 23:37-39, and Matthew 24:31, the meaning of the word “gathering” is to bring the the Jews, the elect, in a gradual process, from the four winds of the earth, from every nation, as Moses gathered the house of Israel together in Egypt, as a hen gathers her chicks, and the shepherd gathers his flocks, back to the nation of Israel. The word gather, in the context of the above verses, does not mean a rising in the air, the rapture, to meet the Lord Jesus in the air.

Deuteronomy 18:18 The Prophet like Moses

Deuteronomy 18:15, “The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken.

John 6:14, “Then those men when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, this is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world.”

Acts 3:19-23, “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed among the people.”

On a doctrinal note, the Apostle Peter clearly stated, “Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.” Acts 3:21. The Lord Jesus will remain in heaven until all of the prophecies of the prophets are fulfilled. Therefore, the prophecies of the Isaiah, Jeremiah, Hosea, Zechariah, Joel, concerning the restoration of the house of Israel, or nation of Israel, have not been annulled, and are yet to be fulfilled.

The Lord Jesus is the prophet that Moses spoke of. God will use the works of Moses to show us the greater works of the Lord Jesus. The scriptures clearly show Pharaoh is a type of the anti-Christ, that the events of the gathering of the house of Israel, and their Exodus from Egypt, is a clear example of the affliction that the anti-Christ brings upon the nation of Israel, on a world-wide scale, the gathering of the house of Israel, the Jews, from the tribulation period, into a conversion experience and led back to the land of Israel.

The works of Moses, specifically the gathering of the house of Israel in the Exodus, will pale in comparison to the works of the Lord Jesus in the gathering of the house of Israel from the entire world.

The House of Moses and the House of Christ – Hebrews 3:1-9

Hebrews 3:1-9, “Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house. For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house. For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God. And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after; But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end. Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To-day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.”

For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house.” Hebrews 11:3

As the prophet Jeremiah prophesied, the house of Moses, and all of his works, the gathering of the house of Israel from the iron hand of Pharaoh, the Exodus from Egypt through great tribulation, the giving of the Law, pales in comparison to the works of Christ; His house, the saints, salvation through grace, and the gathering of the remnant of the house of Israel on a world-wide scale during the 7 Tribulation period.

The comparison of Christ gathering the house of Israel from the wrath of God pronounced on the world during the entire time of the 7 Year Tribulation Period will exceed the glory, and honour, of Moses and the Exodus from Egypt.

Therefore, the “elect” that the Lord Jesus refers to in Matthew 24:31 is the the saved remnant of the house of Israel that is gathered from the entire world and returned to the land of Israel during the 7 Year Tribulation period.

Anderson – A False Belief

Pastor Steven Anderson, Pastor Roger Jimenez, both ministers in the “New IFB,” movement, teach that the gathering together of the “elect” in Matthew 24:31 is a reference to the rapture of the church saints as taught in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18.

In the film, “After the Tribulation,” in a running conversation concerning the rapture of the church age saints, quoted as written in the pdf copy of the film, Anderson and Jimenez stated, “(Matthew 24:31) and he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. Pastor Anderson: All the same elements! Jesus is coming in the clouds. A trumpet sounds. He sends the angels to gather his elect. Pastor Jimenez: The reason I showed you this is that I wanted you to understand that in Matthew 24:29-31, we see the rapture, and when we compare it to 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17, it matches up perfectly.”1

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 “But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.”

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 and Matthew 24:31 Contrasted

1. The dead bodies of the saints are raised in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18.

There is no resurrection of any dead saints in Matthew 24:31 There is a “gathering” not a “rising.” In the context, the word 'gathering' is a bringing together of the elect.

2. The bodies of the dead saints are changed, and ascend, to be with the Lord Jesus in the clouds in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

There are no dead bodies of any saint ascending to meet the Lord in the air in Matthew 24:31

3. Only saints are involved in the coming with the Lord Jesus, the ascension of the dead and live saints, to meet the Lord in the air as recorded in 1Thessalonians 4:13-18. Paul brings this truth out as a “comfort” to all concerned. There is no mourning of the tribes of the earth recorded, or even hinted at, in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18.

In Matthew 24:30, “… all of the tribes of the earth shall mourn.” This in in direct contrast, and opposition to, with 1 Thessalonians 4:18 when the scriptures state, “Wherefore comfort one another with these words.”

4. In the Bible, Leviticus 25:23-25 and Numbers 10:1-13, we have various usages for the blowing of trumpets by the Jews. In Exodus 19:13, 16 & 19 we have the trumpet of God: not the Jews sounding trumpets.

In addition, in Revelation 8:2 we have the 7 angels with 7 trumpets. Revelation 8:2, “And I saw the seven angels which stood before God; and to to them were given seven trumpets.” The arch-angel is clearly a separate angel, with special duties apart from the 7 angels with the 7 trumpets.

In 1 Thessalonians 4:16 we read: “For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first.”

This trumpet sounding is called, “the trump of God,” and in heralded by an “arch-angel.” This is the “last trump” as spoken of in 1 Corinthians 15:52 The “last trump” in the Bible blown by the arch-angel is not the trumpet blown by the seventh angel in Revelation 11:15. None of the 7 angels in Revelation 8:2 and following is referred to as an arch-angel.

And Matthew 24:31 the angels, plural, are blowing trumpets: there is not an arch-angel at all. Again, the angels in Matthew 24:31 are different angels from the arch-angel in 1 Thessalonians 4:16 and 1 Corinthians 15:52

Anderson presumes just because both of these passages have a trumpet sounding that they are the same. Anderson's presumption is speculation based on an inadequate study of the different trumpets in the Bible, who uses them, whether or not it is an angel, or an arch-angel blowing, “the trump of God,” and for what reasons.

Conclusion

Therefore, it is an inescapable conclusion that Matthew 24:31 and 1 Thessalonians 4:15-18 do not have the same results, do not match up perfectly, and are not parallel passages. It is an inescapable conclusion that 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 and Matthew 24:29-31 are two totally unrelated events at different time periods with different results.

1Anderson, Steven, “After the Tribulation” (Tempe, AZ: Faithful Word Baptist Church), pdf. Page 5-6.

• Members

The Events of 1 Thessalonians & Matthew 24:31 Explained

In 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 we have the coming of the Lord Jesus in the air. The calling of the Apostle John in Revelation 4:1, before the commencing of the 7 Year Tribulation, is a type of 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

At the sound of “the trump of God,” (not by one of the 7 seven angels with trumpets in the 7 Year Tribulation Period as written in Revelation 8:2), blown by the arch-angel, the souls of the dead saints will come with the Lord Jesus, the dead bodies of the saints will rise and be changed into a glorified body.

After the dead saints are risen, the live saints will be called up by the last (not by the last trumpet sound by the last of the 7 angels as written in Revelation 11:15), trumpet call of the “trump of God.” We will hear the trump of God blown by the arch-angel, calling us by our individual names, our bodies will be changed, and then we will rise in the air to be with the Lord for eternity.

In Matthew 24:31, according to the prophecies of Jeremiah and Isaiah, the house of Israel, the 'elect,' will be gathered together, gradually, as a hen gathers her chicks and a shepherd gathers his flock, as a nation from the four corners of the world. This world-wide gathering will exceed the glory and honour of the Exodus led by Moses.

The events of the Revelation 19:11-21 will take place, the Lord Jesus will ascend to His throne in Jerusalem, and the 1000 Year reign of Christ as KING KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS, will commence.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Brethren,

I decided to gather together, in a more orderly manner, the lessons in this study on the prophecies of the Old Testament and the 1,000 Year Reign of Christ as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS and put them in PDF form. It will take some time.

If there is any passage that I have discussed that you want to bring out an error that you feel that I have made, or if I should make something more clearer, or if there is a passage that you want discussed, or if there is a passage where you want me to give a reference (or a reason why I said something), this is a good time to bring it out.

Alan

Edited by Alan
grammer

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Isaiah 1:25-27, “The Restoration of the Judges & Counsellors of Israel”

Isaiah 1:25-27, “And I will turn my hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy tin: And I will restore thy judges as at the first, and thy counsellors as at the beginning: afterward thou shalt be called, The city of righteousness, the faithful city. Zion shall be redeemed with judgment, and her converts with righteousness.”

And I will turn my hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy tin:” The prophet Isaiah prophesied of the day when the hand of God, moving through the history of the times of the Gentiles, would one day purge away the sins, iniquities, and the unbelief of the nation of Israel, and restore them as before.

The prophet Daniel prophesied that the purging away of the sins of Israel, “and to make an end of sins,” would occur after the seventy weeks of years would be fulfilled. “Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people an upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most holy.” Daniel 9:24

And I will restore thy judges as at the first, and thy counsellors as at the beginning:” Since Isaiah

penned this prophecy the nation of Israel has not had neither judges nor counsellors as at the beginning of Moses nor as written in the book of Judges. The only time recorded in the scriptures that this prophecy can be fulfilled is in Revelation 20:4, “And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Moses – Appointing Judges

The judges were to enforce the ordinances, the commandments, the judgments, the statutes of God: Leviticus 18:1-30

If the nation of Israel were to obey these judgments, statutes, ordinances, and commandments, then God would bless the material wealth of the land and would cause the rain to fall in its due season and protect them from their enemies. Leviticus 26:3-13. We see an example of the keeping of the ordinances, and the statutes, of the Old Testament on all the nations of the world in Zechariah 14:16-21

Therefore, the judges that God restores will judge the various nations of the world and not just the nation of Israel.

It must be noted that none of the judgments, ordinances, statutes, given by Moses was for the spiritual redemption of the soul. Besides the giving of the Law, the ordinances, the statutes, and the judgments, were for the physical well-being of the citizens and to teach the people the evil nature of man. Romans 3:20, “Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.”

Deuteronomy 1:15-18; 16:18-20

The judges were to justify the righteous, condemn the wicked and exact punishment. Deuteronomy 25:1-3 There was no system of appealing the decision of the judges nor of the priests.

The judges were expected to force the guilty to pay restitution for any harm done to the individual harmed; whether it was property, belongings, or physical harm. Exodus 22:1-15. The restitution was heavy and could not be neglected.

When a matter was too hard for the Judges, then the accused and the accuser were to stand before the priests the Levites to be judged. Deuteronomy 17:8-13

The Book of Judges

Judges 2:16, “Nevertheless the LORD raised up judges, which delivered them out of the hand of those that spoiled them.” the book of Judges gives us an account of how God raised up Judges to judge and rule Israel.

Restoration of Israel - The Early Church

“… restore ...” The apostles knew that one day, according to the prophecies of the Old Testament prophets, that the Messiah would restore the nation of Israel. The apostles and early disciples just did not know when the restoration of Israel would take place, So, quite naturally, as they met the Lord Jesus just before His ascension into heaven, they asked, “... Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the nation of Israel?” Acts 1:6b

As with the prophet Daniel, the apostles did know foreknow, “the times of the Gentiles,” and the “mystery of the church.” The prophets of the Old Testament, and the apostles in Acts 1, did not know the “mystery of Christ.” They did not know that (or how), that God would “graft” the Gentiles into the “olive tree.” These mysteries were revealed to Paul the Apostle later on in the books of Ephesians and Romans.

Ephesians 3:4-9

Romans 11:13-25

Therefore, the Lord Jesus answered, “And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.” Acts 1:7 The timing of the restoration of Israel was not given to the disciples. The description of the eventual restoration of Israel was given to John the apostle in Revelation 20:4-6

The Error of the Mormons (Latter Day Saints)

As with the preterist, Philip Mauro, Pastor Steven Anderson, the Latter Day Saints church, commonly called the Mormons, believe that the church (their church), is “spiritual Israel.” Concerning the Judges in Israel, in the Latter Day Saints website, under, “Enrichment 1: Judges in Israel: Watching over the Church” they teach the following.

The Lord chooses stewards from among the members of His Church and charges them to provide for others opportunities that will assist them in their eternal progression. The Lord also gives these stewards the responsibility of judging so that the Church can be cleansed from iniquity and erring souls brought back into paths of righteousness. The specific responsibilities of these leaders to be judges and the value of their work will be discussed in this section. The Doctrine and Covenants outlines the gifts and keys given to these judges in Israel to help them perform their duties, and it explains the manner in which the Lord has instructed them to fulfill their callings. … With reference to Church disciplinary councils, Elder Kimball wrote: ‘The bishop in his ordination to that office is made a ‘judge in Israel’ to those of his own ward, but to none who are not so placed under his jurisdiction. The stake president, by his setting apart, is made a judge over the people of the stake over which he is to preside. Likewise, a branch president and mission president have somewhat similar responsibilities. The General Authorities, of course have general jurisdiction, and have the duty to make judgements in certain circumstances… Every member in the Church is answerable to an ecclesiastical authority. In the ward, it is the bishop; in the branch, a president; in the stake or in the mission, a president; and in the higher Church echelon of authority, the General Authorities with the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles at the head.i

So, according to the doctrines of the Mormon Church, in essence, all those in authority in the church, from the bishops, presidents, the General Authorities and the Mormon church appointed “Twelve Apostles,” are all made a “judge in Israel.”

If a person truly believes that the church is “spiritual Israel,” and has taken over the nation of Israel, i.e., Replacement Theology, and that there will be no “restoration of the nation of Israel, than the Mormon church is correct. But, since there will be a restoration of the nation of Israel, the judges that Isaiah is prophesying about are literal and can only be fulfilled as recorded in Revelation 20:4

Therefore, the erroneous doctrine, and practice, of the Mormon Church is one of the evil fruits of Replacement Theology.

Counsellors

“… and thy counsellors as at the beginning:” The counsellors in Israel gave the judge, or later on in Israel, the king, counsel.

• In Numbers 18:1-27 Moses’ father-in-law, gave wise counsel to Moses and Moses followed his counsel.

• 1Chronicles 27:32-34 we have a list of King David’s counsellors.

Judges & Counsellors in Israel from the Babylonian Captivity up to our Age

In the post-Babylonian Captivity books, Ezra, Nehemiah and Esther, there are no judges and counsellors. Even though they returned to the land of Israel, the Jews were under the legal jurisdiction of a foreign government.

• Ezra 7:11-28 The seven counsellors mentioned in Ezra 7:14 were not Jews.

• Nehemiah was a servant, and not a counsellor, to King Artaxerxes. Nehemiah 2:1

• According to Nehemiah 9:32 and 36, the Jews were “servants” to the Kings Assyria, “unto this day.”

In the time of Christ, it was the Roman government, that judged, and condemned to death, the Lord Jesus, and not the Jewish Rabbis.

From 1948, to the current age, in the nation of Israel, the Judiciary is ruled by secular law and by secular judges. Even though Israel does have ‘Rabbinical Courts,’ the Rabbinical Courts are under the authority of, ‘The Supreme Court,’ in Israel. The Supreme Court in Israel can ‘annul’ any decision made by a Rabbinical Court. “The Supreme Court, sitting as the High Court of Justice, is empowered to order the release of persons wrongly detained or imprisoned; … Judicature refers, as well as religious courts – to hear a certain matter or to refrain from judging or continuing to hear a certain matter, and to annul proceedings that had taken place or a decision unlawfully made; to order religious courts to hear a certain matter in their competence or to refrain from hearing or continuing to hear a matter outside it … the civil court is empowered to nullify proceedings that have taken place or a ruling rendered by a religious court lacking competence in the matter.”ii

Therefore, the prophecy of Isaiah in Isaiah 1:26 has not been fulfilled within the nation of Israel since the proclamation that God would restore “thy judges as at the first” to this age. The prophecy of Isaiah is literal and observable. The prophecy of Isaiah in no way can be construed by those who believe in Replacement Theology to be given to any church in the age of grace.

“… Zion shall be redeemed with judgment, and her converts with righteousness.”

The apostle Paul foretold of day when the Jews will be converted as a nation. Romans 11:26-27, “And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob. For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.”

The prophecy of Isaiah, Daniel, and Paul the apostle, is a direct reference to the physical Jews in the nation of Israel. The conversion, the redemption of the soul, is a covenant from God to the Jews. The conversion of the remnant of the nation of Israel will take place in the wilderness during the last half of the Tribulation Period in the wilderness as the remnant of Jews are fleeing from the anti-Christ and his armies. Revelation 12:13-17

ii The Judiciary: The Court System 5 March 2019 <https://mfa.gov.il/mfa/aboutisrael/state/democracy/pages/the%20judiciary-%20the%20court%20system.aspx>

• Members

Isaiah 2:1-5, “Beating Weapons of War into Implements of Farming”

Isaiah 2:1-5, “The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem. And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. O house of Jacob, come ye, and let us walk in the light of the LORD.”

“ … concerning Judah and Jerusalem ...” This prophecy of Isaiah is concerning the future events that will take place in Judah and Jerusalem. Judah and Jerusalem are physical locations within the Jewish nation of Israel or, “O house of Jacob.”

We must take careful note that there are no physical promises given to the church. All of the promises, or the inheritance, given to the body of Christ are spiritual or in heaven. (1) Ephesians 1:10-22 (2) Colossians 1:9-13 The inheritance for the Body of Christ, the church, is incorruptible and in heaven. The “holy Jerusalem,” Revelation 21;10, is the inheritance of the saints in the Body of Christ. The Apostle Peter stated, “To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you.” 1 Peter 1:4

Therefore, this prophecy has to be fulfilled within, and flow out of, these boundaries given by Isaiah and cannot be applicable to the saints in the body of Christ, or symbolized, to the church in the New Testament.

And it shall come to pass in the last days ...” The “last days” are to be fulfilled in the latter times as described by John the Apostle, in the book of Revelation. Since the temple built in the Tribulation Period is occupied by the anti-Christ, the last days referenced in Isaiah has to occur after the Tribulation period and before Revelation 20:11

“… that the mountain of the LORD’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains ...” The Temple of God, as also prophesied by Ezekiel, will be re-built, on a much larger scale never been seen in Israel nor the world. In Ezekiel chapter 40-48, the prophet Ezekiel is shown, by a vision, the re-built Temple in Jerusalem.

The prophet Micah also prophesied the in the last days the house of the LORD would be established in Jerusalem in Micah 4:1-7 and gave additional detailed information concerning the world-wide worship at the Temple in Jerusalem. “But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow into it.” Micah 4:1

Therefore, as the New Heavens and the New Earth, Revelation 22:1-3, has no temple it it, the only possible conclusion is that the “Lord’s house,” the temple of Ezekiel 40-48, is the Temple in the Millennium.

“… and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.” People from all the nations of the world will flow into the city of Jerusalem to worship God in the Temple. The prophet Micah states, “And many nations shall come ...” Micah 4:1a

And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob...” The “house of the God of Jacob,” is the re-built Temple in the Millennium. In Ezekiel 40-48 Ezekiel gives minute detail of the worship services.

“… and he will teach us his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.” The Law will be used to “teach” the nations of the world the ways of God.

The prophet Ezekiel prophesied the same prophesy concerning the teaching of the Law in Ezekiel 44:23, “And they shall teach my people the difference between the holy and profane, and cause them to discern between the unclean and the clean.”

And he shall judge among the nations ...” Isaiah had previously prophesied, “And I will turn my hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy tin: And I will restore thy judges as at the first, and thy counsellors as at the beginning: afterward thou shalt be called, The city of righteousness, the faithful city. Zion shall be redeemed with judgment, and her converts with righteousness.” Isaiah 1:25-27 Both of these passages in Isaiah are a direct reference to Revelation 20:4.

The “he” in Isaiah 2:4 is a direct reference to the Lord Jesus. “… and he shall judge among many people ...” Micah 4:3a Micah further states, “… and the LORD shall reign over them in mount Zion from henceforth, even for ever.” Micah 4:7b. The apostle Paul and the apostle John clearly states who will reign, “That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords.” “1 Timothy 6:14 & 15, and “And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.”

The Lord Jesus will judge among the nations of the world as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

Revelation 20:4, “And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Again, this prophesy cannot apply to the Body of Christ, the church, in the Church Age in any manner; whether symbolic, figurative or spiritual. The saints in the Body of Christ, the church, except for themselves, are not to judge a person.

“… and shall rebuke many people ...” The Lord Jesus, as the supreme judge, will rebuke the nations of the world.

“… and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks ...” As with all the prophets of the Old Testament, the prophet Isaiah is given clear, literal, observable, touchable, discernible, signs and benchmarks, that clearly proves when his prophesy is fulfilled.

A sword and a spear, from time immortal, in every country, and in every generation, are weapons of war designed to kill. Plowshares and pruninghooks, from time immortal, in every county, and in every generation, are farming implements designed for work on a farm. “… nation shall not lift up sword against nation ...”

The Prince of peace, the Lord Jesus, through His leadership, will create a perfect government that will create perfect peace for 1,000 years. “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6

Micah prophesied, “And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.” Micah 4:3

“… neither shall they learn war any more.” We will quote Micah 4:3b again, “… neither shall they learn war any more.”

In the Church Age, up to the current time, the nations of the world have had “War Colleges.” These War Colleges are institutes of the art of learning the aspects of armed conflict: war.

The nation of Israel, or, the House of Jacob, currently has three major War Colleges.

1. The Israel National Defence College.

2. The Tactical Command College.

3. The Command And Staff College.

Isaiah is very clear in his prophecy, in the last days, the nations of the world, not just Israel, will, learn 'war no more.' So, this prophecy has not been fulfilled since the inception of the nation of Israel in May 1948.

This prophecy is very clear, observable, tangible, unmistakable, and in no manner can it be applicable to the Body of Christ, the Church, in the church age.

Therefore, this prophecy has not been fulfilled and can only be fulfilled during the Millennial reign of Christ as depicted in Revelation 20:4-6

O house of Jacob, come ye, and let us walk in the light of the LORD.” The prophet Isaiah concludes this prophecy with a plea to his fellow Jews to walk in the light of the Lord.

Edited by Alan
correction grammar spelling

• Members

Thank you John Young and Rebecca for enjoying these lessons. I am glad to know that they have been a blessing to you.

Any discussions before I continue with  the next prophetical passage?

The next prophetical passage that we study will be Isaiah 4:1-6.

The prophecy of Isaiah 4 is unique for several reasons. One of the interesting aspects of Isiah's prophecy is that he gives us an account of the dreadful events of the latter part of the 7 Year Tribulation Period, the re-population of the earth from near annihilation, the cleansing of the spiritual filth of Israel, the fulfillment of Romans 11:23-29 and the abundant MERCY of God poured upon the Jews as Paul prophecies in Romans 11:32

Alan

Edited by Alan
grammar

• Members

Isaiah 4:1-6, “The Mercy of God upon the Escaped of Israel”

Isaiah 4:1-6, “And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach. In that day shall the branch of the LORD be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the earth shall be excellent and comely for them that are escaped of Israel. And it shall come to pass, that he that is left in Zion, and he that remaineth in Jerusalem, shall be called holy, even every one that is written among the living in Jerusalem: When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and shall have purged the blood of Jerusalem from the midst thereof by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning. And the LORD will create upon every dwelling place of mount Zion, and upon her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day, and the shining of a flaming fire by night: for upon all the glory shall be a defence. And there shall be a tabernacle for a shadow in the daytime from the heat, and for a place of refuge, and for a covert from storm and from rain.”

Verse 1, “And in that day ...” and verse 2, “And in that day ...” All of the events in Isaiah 4:1-6 will occur “In the day.” “In that day” is a direct reference to the time when God fulfills the prophecies of restoring the nation of Israel during the millennial reign of Christ as spoken of in Revelation 20:4-6

None of the events of Isaiah 4:1-6 have been fulfilled in the land of Israel, nor in the church age, nor in a spiritual manner, nor in a symbolic manner, nor metaphorically, since Isaiah penned this prophecy.

Erroneous Teaching Concerning the Scriptural Phrase ‘In that day’

Philip Mauro, as with most preterists, and other individuals who spiritualize, or believe that the promises and prophecies given to the sons of Jacob are given to the church or all allegorical, states, “In That Day [chapter heading]. The question that concerns us for the moment is this: Are these passages to be understood as predictions of the national conversion of the Jews in a coming “day,” as some now teach? Or are they prophecies of the gospel, having their fulfillment in this present “day,” which has always held (as I understand it) until recent times? In the first place, we call attention to the fact that the context makes it clear that the oft-recurring phrase, “in that day,” refers to this present day of grace, and not to the succeeding day of judgment.”i

So, Mauro presents the preterist, and allegorical, position perfectly. The phrase by Isaiah (and the other Old Testament prophets), ‘In that day’ is merely a reference to the ‘gospel,’ in the present age of grace, and not to a national restoration, by a conversion experience, of the remnant Jews in the latter times.

By way of reference. In the pages of his book, when Mauro states, “as some now teach,” he is referring to evangelist John R. Rice, fundamentalists, and the Scofield Reference Bible. Also, when Mauro states, “until recent times” he is referring to the Scofield Reference Bible. Mauro ignores earlier writers, which includes Ephrem the Syrian, c. 306, in order to convince the reader that the restoration of Israel is a recent doctrine. Philip Mauro was not only erroneous in his interpretation of the phrase “In that day” but he slandered godly brethren who were correct in their interpretation. Mauro was also trying to negate the truth by stating it was a recent doctrine. Mauro was a false teacher and a deceiver.

And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.”

During the wrath of God poured out on the entire earth during the “Time of Jacob’s Trouble,” or more commonly known as, “The 7-year Tribulation Period,” the population of the earth, primarily men, is dramatically reduced. The Lord Jesus prophetically stated, Matthew 24:21 and 22, “For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect’s sake those days shall be shortened.” The population of males within the nation of Israel will be such a low number in comparison to the female population that Isaiah further prophesied, “I will make a man more precious than fine gold; even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir.” Isaiah 13:12

Since the day that Isaiah prophesied that, “seven women shall take hold of one man,” to this day, this prophecy has not been fulfilled. Furthermore, this prophecy cannot be in any manner be construed to be allegorical, a symbol, or given as a promise to those in the church age.

In that day shall the branch of the LORD be beautiful and glorious ...” The ‘branch of the LORD’ is the Lord Jesus on the earth as Judge and King. Isaiah 11:1 and Zechariah 3:8 and his reign will be ‘glorious.’

“… and the fruit of the earth shall be excellent and comely ...” Since the day Isaiah penned these words, the land of the nation of Israel is still mostly desert and, since the rainfall is not enough to provide water for crops and man, the Jews have to use seawater for crops. Therefore, the land is not as fruitful as it should be. Furthermore, in order to produce the abundance of fruit, the geographical nature of Israel, the amount of rainfall, and watercourses, will have to be changed dramatically.

Therefore, when this prophecy is fulfilled, the result will be physically verifiable, observable, literal, and geographical. The prophet Isaiah is not being allegorical, spiritual, or metaphysical in any manner.

“… for them that are escaped of Israel.” The world-wide holocaust of the Jews during the 7-Year Tribulation period will be intense, acute, bitter, and those that survive will be considered as ‘escaped’ from physical death. This is the meaning of the words of the Lord Jesus when He stated, “And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.” Mark 13:13

Isaiah further prophesied of the escaping of a remnant of the Jews during the 7-Year Tribulation Period in Isaiah 10:20-22 and 17:6-8

And it shall come to pass, that he that is left in Zion, and he that remaineth in Jerusalem, shall be called holy, even every one that is written among the living in Jerusalem: When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and shall have purged the blood of Jerusalem from the midst thereof by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning.”

After the first 3 ½ years of the 7-Year Tribulation, the Jews will realize that they have been terribly deceived by the anti-Christ and will begin the spiritual journey of salvation through the mercy of the Lord Jesus as the Messiah. God will have mercy on the remnant of Jews that escape the holocaust of the 7-Year Tribulation. Isaiah prophesied of the mercy of God upon the remnant that escapes the holocaust of the 7-Year Tribulation Period. Isaiah 14:1, “For the LORD will have mercy on Jacob, and will yet choose Israel, and set them in their own land: and the strangers shall be joined with them, and they shall cleave to the house of Jacob.”

The Apostle Paul prophesied of the time when the sins of the house of Jacob would be purged. Romans 11:26 & 27, “And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob. For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.”

i Mauro, Philip, The Hope of Israel: What Is it? (Boston, MA: Hamilton Brothers,1929), 98

The Apostle Paul further prophesied that the mercy of God would be upon the Jews. Romans 11:30-32, “For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.”

The filth of the daughters of Zion is a description of their moral failures, haughtiness, pride, unbelief, and the numerous other degenerate characteristics of the daughters of Zion. The purging of the sins of the blood of Jerusalem, a reference to the persecution of the godly men and women, and the prophets of Israel, will one day be purged.

The purging of the sins of anyone, the filth in our souls, whether Jew or Gentile, happens every time when a person repents of their sins, and unbelief, and is converted to Christ as Saviour. A person is considered ‘holy’ when he is converted and made righteous in the sight of God.

The purging of the filth, unbelief, hatred, persecution, and many other sins of the nation of Israel throughout their long period of unbelief, will take place when the Lord Jesus returns as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS and judges as revealed in Revelation 20:4, “And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.”

“… in Jerusalem ...” and, “... of Jerusalem ...” The prophet Isaiah is very clear, twice, he mentioned Jerusalem as the location of the inhabitants being ‘holy.’ The prophet Isaiah cannot be referring to the “Holy Jerusalem” as mentioned in Revelation 21:9-27 nor can be be referring to the city Jerusalem since he wrote his prophecy as it is described in Revelation 11:8 as ‘Sodom’ and ‘Egypt.’

Therefore, the cleansing of the filth of the Jews will occur when the Lord Jesus is reigning as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS then the inhabitants are ‘holy.’

And the LORD will create upon every dwelling place of mount Zion, and upon her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day, and the shining of a flaming fire by night: for upon all the glory shall be a defence. And there shall be a tabernacle for a shadow in the daytime from the heat, and for a place of refuge, and for a covert from storm and from rain.” After the judgment as spoken by the Apostle John in Revelation 20:4, the LORD God in heaven will once again come down upon the nation of Israel as He did before, for glory and defence, as in Exodus 13:20-21; 14:19-31, Numbers 9:15-23 and 10:33-36

The ‘assemblies’ would include, but not be limited to, the re-built Temple as described by Ezekiel in Ezekiel chapter 40-48 All of the prophecy of Isaiah will be literal, observable, verifiable, when it is fulfilled.

Steven Anderson – a Preterist at heart

In his teaching on Isaiah 6:1-4, Pastor Steven Anderson ignores any prophetical prophecies concerning Israel in this entire passage. Anderson follows the preterist teaching and applies the prophecies in this passage to the church. Concerning verse 5, Anderson states, “Now what does that mean ‘every dwelling place?’ Well, that is talking about your house. Right? What do you think what is ‘assemblies?’ Churches. Ok.” Also, he states, “Now what is this talking about in verse five? ‘And the LORD shall create every dwelling place? That is every home, and, he is saying, ‘upon her assemblies a cloud and smoke by day, and the shining of a flaming fire by night: for upon all the glory shall be a defence.’ What does that represent? And God is saying that God’s presence and God’s blessing should be upon every house and upon every church.”i

Like every other preterist, Anderson cannot ‘rightly divide the word of truth.’ Anderson, like every other preterist, attempts to take away the prophecies given to the Jews and incorrectly state that they are for the church.

In conclusion, the prophet Isaiah is prophesying of the time when the remnant of the house of Jacob, the Jews, that escape the holocaust of the 7 year Tribulation, fully believe in the mercy of God through the Lord Jesus as Christ, or Messiah. Afterwards, as Isaiah prophesied, God will wash away their sins of their unbelieving heart and the glories of the Millennial reign of Christ will occur.

i Anderson, Steven Isaiah 4:1-6 copied on March 25, 2019 <https://soundcloud.com/bible-preaching/2008-04-30p-isaiah-4>

Edited by Alan
grammar

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Brethren,

Concerning the fulfillment of the prophets of the Old Testament in a literal interpretation of Revelation 20:6-8, in this study we have brought out some of the errors of: Preterism, Philip Mauro, the Jehovah's Witnesses, Pastor Steven Anderson,  A-millennialism, and the Seventh Day Adventist. In my current study of the Church of Christ denomination, I have read that most, not all, of the Church of Christ denomination are preterist and A-millennialist.

For example.

In his book on Revelation, Bruce Adams, a Church of Christ author, states, "JUDGMENT DAY (CHAPTER20) It is my judgment that chapter 20 follows chapter 19 chronologically. It follows the destruction of Jerusalem and the defeat of Satan. It begins with the binding of Satan for a symbolic period of 1,000 years. It extends to the end of time and the final judgment."

So, Bruce Adams clearly believes that Revelation 20:6-8 is "symbolic."

I will be doing a further search in this matter and if I see that the Church of Christ denomination, as a whole, believes as the preterist and the a-millennialist believes, than I will be adding notes of various Church of Christ false teachers.

Alan

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Brethren,

In my travels on our furlough I have had a pastor friend express a desire for me to continue this study on the prophesies of the Old Testament, concerning the literal 1,000 year Kingdom on the earth, as written in Revelation 20:4-6.

Before I begin a new lesson, are there any specific questions on previous lessons, or passages someone would like to study, that need to be addressed?

I would like to bring out one thought in my talk with my pastor friend that I will address in any future lessons. Throughout this series of lessons I primarily quoted from false teachers, the cults, and others who spiritualize the prophecies in the Old Testament, in an effort to show how these false teachers are incorrect. I will probably, in an effort to show that independent, fundamental, Baptist, brethren have traditionally taught that Revelation 20:4-6 is a literal 1,000 years, and that the prophecies relating to Revelation 20:4-6 are to be fulfilled literally, quote from those IFB brethren, and other fine men, who taught a literal reign of Christ on the earth.

May God bless all of you.

Alan

Edited by Alan
added 'year' after 1,000

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 9/28/2016 at 3:29 AM, Alan said:

Micah 4:1-7, “Come ... to the house of Jacob.”

Verse 1-7, “But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountains of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it. And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hath spoken it. For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever. In that day, saith the LORD, will I assemble her that halteth, and I will gather her that is driven out, and her that I hath afflicted; And I will make her that halted a remnant, and her that was cast off a strong nation: and the LORD shall reign over them in mount Zion from henceforth, even for ever.”

“But in the last days it shall come to pass ...” The latter days are a reference to the prophetic last days of the history of mankind. None of the prophecies contained in Micah 4:1-7, 5:8-15 and 7:16-20, were fulfilled when the Jews returned from the Babylon Captivity, nor at any time since then in any sense of the word. The prophecies of Micah 4:1-7, 5:8-15 and 7:16-20 will be fulfilled beginning in the 7 Year Tribulation Period and culminating during the 1000 year reign of Christ.

“... that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it. ... And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob... ” The mountain of the house of the LORD, and the house of Jacob, is the Millennial Temple that will be built in the 1000 Year Reign of Christ in Jerusalem.

Brethren,

I would like to add this quote from J. Frank Norris onto this previous lesson on Micah 4;1-7

Any discussions?

Alan

J. Frank Norris understood the work of God among the sons of Jacob and learned how a knowledge of the history of the Jewish race, as written by the Holy Scriptures, would unveil the working of God with the 1,000- year reign of Christ as revealed in Revelation 20:4-6.

J. Frank Norris wrote the following message at a Jewish Synagogue in Ft. Worth, TX. In Norris’ message at the synagogue he had four points. For brevity’s sake, in this study I will quote only points number 1, 2, and 4. In Norris' message, “The Jew the Key that Unlocks Your Mysteries,” the non-capitalized word ‘he,’ is a reference to the Jewish race.

The Jew the Key that Unlocks Your Mysteries.

1. If you want to understand the Bible, you study God’s dealing with the Jews. He is the key that unlocks four things – first, the mysteries of divine revelation in both the Old and the New Testament. This book was written by the Jew, inspired of God. You cannot understand His purpose in this world unless you understand His purpose in dealing with and through the Jew.

2. If you want to understand the strange things in human history, he is the key that unlocks human history. If you want to understand how that God raises up and how He put down rulers, kings, emperors, empires and nations, you study His dealings with the Jews. If you want to understand the destiny and fate of ancient Egypt and Babylon and ancient nations, you study God’s dealings with the Jew.

4. If you want to understand the future, he is the key that unlocks the unknown future. Great as his history has been in the past – as related as it has been to the nations of the earth – the greatest purpose that God has yet for the Jew is yet in the future. “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem” - every orthodox Jew has it in his blood – that his “right hand would lose its cunning and his tongue would cleave to the roof of his mouth” before he would forget Jerusalem – that city – the most important city in all the past and of the present and of the future – from that city in the future the law shall go forth to the ends of the earth – the religious capital of the world in the past and will be the religious capital in the day of the millennial glory.”1

1Norris, J. Frank, Dr., “The Jew Past, Present, & Future,” (Calvary Publications: Fort worth, TX), booklet, n.d., p. 1,2 &3.

• Members

Brethren,

Previously, in Lesson # 9, on Hosea 3:4-5, uploaded on September 18, 2016, I made a reference to Ezekiel 34:23-24, but I never did an exposition on Ezekiel 34:23-31.

Therefore, our next lesson will be on Ezekiel 34:23-31 in order to explain in greater detail why I referenced Ezekiel 34:23-24 in my Hosea 3:4-5 lesson. Here is the link to the Hosea 3:4-5 lesson in order to refresh ourselves on that lesson:

God bless!

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Brethren,

The next lesson, Ezekiel 34:23-31, is somewhat lengthily, and some of the material in Ezekiel 34:23-31 relates to Ezekiel's condemnation of the shepherds in 34:1-10, the prophecy of the God as Shepherd in Ezekiel 34:11-12, and the the blessings in Ezekiel 34:13-16, the Judgment as spoken in Ezekiel 34:17-22, all of which directly pertain to the prophecy as written in Ezekiel 34:23-31, it behooved me to write a long introduction and then tie it all together in one lesson.

So, here is the introduction to Ezekiel 34 in order to get the whole context of the chapter.

Alan

Ezekiel 34:23-31, “King David, the King, the Shepherd and Prince of Israel”

Introduction to Ezekiel chapter 34

A shepherd is one who leads, protects, loves, cares for, seeks the lost or wandering sheep, corrects them when needed, warns and protects the sheep from danger, and ministers to the needs of the sheep.

Figuratively, the individual who leads a flock of people, as a leader, can be called a shepherd. This includes the priests, prophets, and any man of God. Also, in the case of a national leader, a king, a Prime Minister, a President, or other individual who is in charge of a nation, can be called a shepherd.

As an example of an King being a shepherd, we will use Cyrus, a lost king who did not know the Lord; but God called him His ‘shepherd.’ God, by His own hand, used Cyrus to lead the nation of Israel out of bondage in Babylon and to return the nation, as a shepherd, back to Israel. Furthermore, he used this heathen king to allow the Jews to rebuild the Temple of God at Jerusalem and do His good pleasure. “That saith of Cyrus, He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be built; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid. Thus saith the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have holden, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut.” Isaiah 44:28-45:1

In Ezekiel 34:1-6 the prophet Ezekiel preaches against the shepherds of Israel; the religious leaders, and the national leaders, and how they ignored the flock of God and were negligent in their duties as a shepherd of men. The Lord Jesus taught that these shepherds, both religious and national, are hirelings. They are in the ministry, and leading the nation of Israel, for the wrong reasons and for their own personal agenda and do not care for the flock nor minister to the flocks needs.

The Lord Jesus taught, “But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.” John 10:12-13

In Ezekiel 34:7-10 the prophet Ezekiel pronounces the judgment against the shepherds of Israel and how God Himself was against them. A few of the religious shepherds, mentioned before the captivity, and before God had them slain for their wickedness, unbelief, compromise, and hatred forwards Jeremiah and his prophecies, were: the priest Pashur, the priest Zephaniah (not the prophet Zephaniah), the prophet Hananiah, the prophet Ahab, the prophet Zedekiah the son of Maaseiah (Jeremiah 29:21), the prophet Shemaiah, Michaiah and the rest of the scribes, and princes, as written in Jeremiah 36:11-26, the princes in Jeremiah 38:1-8, and many other listed in Jeremiah 40 and following. All of these religious shepherds were bad shepherds and were hirelings.

The national leaders, shepherds of Israel, in the days just before the captivity of Israel were: King Josiah, King Jehoiakim, King Coniah, King Zedekiah, and then King Jehoiachin. Except for King Josiah, all of the other shepherds of Israel were bad and were like a hirelings.

In Ezekiel 34:11-12 the prophet Ezekiel gives the prophecy that God Himself will seek out His flock. This prophecy is a clear reference to the Lord Jesus as the Good Shepherd as revealed in John 10:1-18. “Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.” John 10:7-10

The Lord Jesus is the Good Shepherd who gave His life for the sheep. John 10:11, “I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.”

The Shepherd of Israel will personally gather the remnant of His sheep,  “And I will bring them out from the people, and gather them from the countries ...” 34:13a. The prophet Ezekiel gives the prophecy of the gathering of the flock, the remnant elect, the nation of Israel, ‘after the tribulation,’ as the Lord Jesus, the Good Shepherd, prophesied in Matthew 24:31.

Edited by Alan
scripture reference twice