• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Revelation Bible Study.

• Members

Lesson # 16 Part 2 of 2

Joel 3:9-17, “The Tribulation Period and the Coming of Christ.”

In Joel 3:9-17 we have a overall preview of the events in Revelation 6:1-19:21 This compasses the “Time of Jacob’s Trouble,” or more commonly called, “The 7 Year Tribulation Period,” and the Coming of Christ as KING OF KING AND LORD OF LORDS.  

Joel 3:18-21, “The Blessings upon Zion.”

Joel 3:18-21, “And it shall come to pass in that day, that the mountains shall drop down new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk, and all the rivers of Judah shall flow with waters, and a fountain shall come forth of the house of the LORD, and shall water the valley of Shittim. Egypt shall be a desolation, and Edom shall be a desolate wilderness, for the violence against the children of Judah, because they have shed innocent blood in their land. But Judah shall dwell for ever, and Jerusalem from generation to generation. For I will cleanse their blood that I have not cleansed: for the LORD dwelleth in Zion.”

That Day or, The Day of the LORD

“And it shall come to pass in that day …” “That Day,” is a reference to the ‘day of the LORD’ as spoken by Joel in Joel 2:1 and in Joel 3:1 and 2, ‘in those days,’ in the latter times when the Lord gathers all of the nations (not just the nations surrounding Israel), as revealed in Revelation 6:1-19:21, and returns the captivity of Israel from the nations of the world. The prophet Joel also states, “in those days.”

Therefore, according to the description of the various prophecies of the Old Testament, the “day of the LORD,” compasses the period of time from the start of Jacob’s Trouble, to the end of the Millennium; Revelation 6:1-20:6

The events in Revelation 20:7-10 are of an very short duration and they are mentioned in connection with the end of the Millennium in passing. And, the final battle of Armageddon Revelation 20:7-10 is so similar to the first battle of Armageddon, Revelation 19:11-21, the final battle is considered an extension of the first battle. See my notes on Revelation 19:11-21

http://www.onlinebaptist.com/home/topic/23115-revelation-chapter-19-22-study/?page=3

“For, behold, in those days, and in that time, when I shall bring again the captivity of Judah and Jerusalem, I will also gather all nations, and I will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead with them there for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land.” Joel 3:1 and 2

In the study of the prophecies in Zechariah chapter 12 and 13, we had mentioned, “that day,” was mentioned eight times (Zechariah 12:3, 4, 6, 8 and 11 and 13:1, and 4), and is a reference to the latter times as revealed in Revelation 6:1-19:21

“… that the mountains shall drop down new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk …” The prophet Joel is using figurative language to describe physical agricultural blessings given to the restored nation of Israel. Once the Lord destroys the nations of the world as described in Revelation 6:1-19:21, and brings the children of Israel from the nations of the world back to the land of Israel, the land of Israel will be restored agriculturally.

This coincides with the prophecy of Amos 9:13-15, “Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and the hills shall melt. And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them. And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.”

All of the prophecies of Joel and Amos are literal, observable, and have not been fulfilled in any sense of the word. This includes after the Jews returned to the land of Israel after the Babylonian Captivity and in May 1948.

After the Babylonian Captivity the Jews never again were able to obtain the land completely, many cites laid desolate, and they were conquered several time afterwards.

Since May 1948 the Jews are not even in full control of the land that King Solomon reigned over nor is the land of Israel being fully productive in agricultural products. .

“… and all the rivers of Judah shall flow with waters, and a fountain shall come forth of the house of the LORD, and shall water the valley of Shittim.” This prophecy of Joel is a direct reference to the prophecy of Ezekiel in Ezekiel 47:1-12

I had previously gone in great detail concerning the waters that issued from the Millennial Temple in Lesson # 8, Ezekiel 47:1-12. All of the waters, house of the LORD, trees, measurements, fish, marshes, etc.., are all literal, observable, and real.

In our current age, the water in the land of Israel is not even enough to take care of the physical needs of the people. The government of Israel is dependent upon the use of force to maintain the supply of the water of Israel and the building of salt water plants to distil sea water from the Mediterranean Sea in order to provide the water for the Jews and their crops. Attached is a link to the water supply in Israel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_supply_and_sanitation_in_Israel

The prophecies of Joel, Amos, and Ezekiel are very clear. The rivers of Israel will flow with waters and provide more the needs of the people and the waters from the house of the LORD will be a major source of waters for the whole Middle East.

The Error of Preterism and the Fountain of Waters

Joel 3:18 and Ezekiel 47:1

The Preterist does not believe that the waters that Joel prophecies of, and the waters that Ezekiel prophecies of, are literal. Or, they believe that the prophecies are only for the Jews after they returned from the Babylonian Captivity and ceased when they rejected Christ as the Messiah. Or, they believe that the waters spoken by Joel, and Ezekiel, are symbolic of eternal life.

As with all the words of the scripture, the interpretation of the word ‘water’ depends on the context. To a preterist, in an effort to give almost all of the scriptures a ‘symbolic’ meaning, they cannot properly discern the context of a word and its interpretation. The preterist jumbles the words of the scripture, and mixes figurative speech with literal speech, as he sees fit.

In connection with the scriptures stating the creation of the New Heavens and the New Earth,  “… Behold, I make all things new …” Revelation 21:5, and “… I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.” Revelation 21:6; William Hendriksen says:

In fact, as far as John’s vision is concerned, these transformations had actually

taken place! He sees the new heaven and the new earth! – On the expression “I

am the Alpha and the Omega” see p. 69. The “water of life” which is given freely

refers to eternal life, salvation full and free. It is the realization of all these

promises: Ps.36:8; Joel 3:18; Eze.47:1 ff.; Zech.14:8; Is.55:1; John 4:10; Rev.7:17;

22:17. Remember, that this “water” is given now to the “thirsty” one. And in eternity,

in the new heaven and earth, it will be poured fresh and full into every living being.

This water proceeds from God, who is the Fountain.[1]

Hendriksen proceeds to clearly state that the water in Revelation 22:1 is a symbol of eternal life. The “See (10)” in Hendriksen’s commentary is a reference on how the trees, avenues, and parks “symbolizes” “… the abundance of eternal life, salvation, for all the citizens!”[2]

Along the side of each avenue runs a river. The avenue and the river are separated

only by a park. See (10). This river is the river of life; for it symbolizes eternal life,

salvation full and free, the gift of God’s sovereign grace.[3]

Hendriksen is incorrect. The water in Joel 3:18, Ezekiel 47:1 and, Zechariah 14:8 is literal, the trees and fruit are literal, and proceeds from a literal temple. The water in Revelation 7:17 and 22:1 is literal water with literal trees.

Hendriksen does not understand, or believe, that in the resurrection of the saints our new bodies (1 Corinthians 15:42-54), will be a incorruptible and a glorified body like the glorified body of the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ.

The Lord Jesus, when He rose from the dead, rose bodily. In His risen body, the Lord Jesus ate, drank, walked, talked, and listened. In the New Heavens and in the New Earth, our resurrected bodies will drink of the water of life that proceeds from the throne and eat of the fruits of the tree of life that lines the street of New Jerusalem. Glory Hallelujah!

Job had this hope, “For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh I shall see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.” Job 19:25-27 

Prophecy Concerning Egypt and Edom

“Egypt shall be a desolation, and Edom shall be a desolate wilderness, for the violence against the children of Judah, because they have shed innocent blood in their land.”

This prophecy has not been fulfilled to this day. The nation of Egypt is not a desolate nation. It is common knowledge that the nation of Egypt is a powerful nation in the Middle East. This prophesy is observable, literal, and will be fulfilled in the future.

There are good reasons why God is going to bring about the desolation of the nation of Egypt and Edom. Both Egypt and Edom, throughout the history of the Middle East, have violently persecuted the Jews and the governments of these two nations are officially involved in the slaughter of innocent Jewish blood.

The prophecy of Obadiah is directed against Edom; Esau and his descendants. “For thy violence against thy brother Jacob shame shall cover thee, and thou shalt be cut off forever.” Obadiah 10

In fact, the Edomite’s rejoiced over the slaughter of innocent Jewish blood. “But thou shouldest not have looked on the day of thy brother in the day that he became a stranger; neither shouldest thou have rejoiced over the children of Judah in the day of their destruction; neither shouldest thou have spoken proudly in the day of distress.” Obadiah 12

“But Judah shall dwell for ever, and Jerusalem from generation to generation.” The prophet Joel, and the other Old Testament prophets did not know about the church nor the church prophets. Therefore, they were not given the all of the sequences of their prophecies.

The Apostle Paul taught, “How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; that the Gentiles should be fellow-heirs, and of the same body and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:” Ephesians 3:3-6. See also Colossians 1:26 & 27

The majority of the prophetic events for the church was given by the Lord Jesus, Paul the Apostle, the Apostle Peter, and the Apostle John. We have an very orderly, and systematic, sequence of the unveiling of the Old Testament being fulfilled in the Book of Revelation. 

Therefore, the prophet Joel was not given a time-line of the prophetic events. The prophet Joel only knew that the restored nation of Israel would last, “forever.” Only to John the Apostle did the Lord Jesus reveal the 1000-year time-line and the events leading up, and following, the 1000 Years.

As I had brought out in the beginning of this lesson, this prophecy is the same as Amos 9:15, “And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.”

“For I will cleanse their blood that I have not cleansed…” As the prophet Joel, the prophet Jeremiah (Jeremiah 33:4-8), foretold of the day when the Lord would cleanse the national sins of the nation of Israel. This would include the sin of unbelief in recognizing that the Lord Jesus was the Messiah. “And I will cause the captivity of Judah and the captivity of Israel to return, and will build them, as at the first. And I will cleanse them from all their iniquity, whereby they have sinned against me; and I will pardon all their iniquities. whereby they have sinned, and whereby they have transgressed against me.” Jeremiah 33:7 & 8

Moses had previously told the nation of Israel the requirements for the cleansing of their sins in order for the LORD to dwell among them. “If they shall confess their iniquity of their fathers, with their trespass which they trespassed against me, and that they have walked contrary unto me; And that I also have walked contrary unto them, and have brought them into the land of their enemies; if then their uncircumcised hearts be humbled, and they then accept of the punishment of their iniquity: Then I will remember my covenant with Jacob, and also my covenant with Isaac, and also my covenant with Abraham will I remember; and I will remember the land.”  Leviticus 26:40-42

During the Tribulation Period Moses will again remind the Jews of this Levitical promise. Then their uncircumcised hearts will realize their sins, the sins of their fathers, accept the punishment for their sins, and God will then remember the covenant given to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. God will then cleanse their hearts and restore the land to the Jews as promised.

The preaching of the two prophets in Revelation 11:1-13 during the first half of the 7-Year Tribulation Period, and the preaching of the 144,000 Jewish evangelists during the entire 7-Year Tribulation Period, will cause the Jews around the world to repent of their unbelief in the Lord Jesus as their Messiah, and repent of their ungodliness.

The apostle Paul prophesied of that day, “And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.”  Romans 11:26 and 27

“… for the LORD dwelleth in Zion.” This prophecy of Joel concludes as the prophecy of Ezekiel concludes. “It was round about eighteen thousand measures: and the name of the city from that day shall be, The LORD is there.” Ezekiel 48:35

As the prophecy of Ezekiel has not been fulfilled to this day neither has the prophecy of Joel. The prophecy of Ezekiel and Joel was not fulfilled after the Babylonian Captivity, the Crucifixion of Christ, the Ascension of Christ into heaven, nor at any time during the Church Age.

Once God cleanses the Jews of their ungodliness the Lord Jesus will dwell in Zion as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS and reign on the earth for 1000 years.

[1] Hendriksen, William, More than Conquerors, (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1939, 1967), Page 241,242.

[2] Hendriksen, William, More than Conquerors, (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1939, 1967), Page 249.

[3] Hendriksen, William, More than Conquerors, (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1939, 1967), Page 247.

Edited by Alan
spelling (twice) changed Joel 3;16 to Joel 3;18

• Administrators

Thank you Bro. Alan, this was a blessing. It is amazing, although not unexpected, that those outside of Baptist ranks (and some inside) never look to, or even know about OT scripture that points to the events in the book of Revelation. The term "That day, or "the day of the Lord', are completely lost on them as applying to the events in the book of Revelation.

They may have read over these scriptures, but in their blindness and prejudice, they never make the connection. They only see what they consider "flowery language" that leads them to conclude that these scriptures must be symbolic. 

The JW's go to great lengths to convince their followers that Christ has already returned. In order to do this they have to completely leave out, or misinterpret scripture like we see here in Joel. Of course their "new light" in relation to this is simply that Christ reigns from Heaven invisibly. Total nonsense and easily seen through unless you are a JW that must depend on the teaching of "The Governing Body". 

A fine exposition Alan, lots of research, prayer and thought went into it obviously.

• Members

Jim Alaska,

Thank you very much for your kind words. "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." Proverbs 25:11

The book of Revelation is a fulfillment of the Old Testament prophecies. The Apostle John, inspired by the Holy Spirit, reveals the  prophecies in a neat, orderly, systematic, sequential order, and reveals to all of us, 'the day of the Lord,' as God will unfold it.

When the Book of Revelation is figurative, or as Revelation 1:1 states, "signified," than we can interpret the sign as revealed from the Old Testament. Pastor Markle brought out this truth admirably in his study of the word, 'signified.'

The symbolism of a-millennialism, the preterist, of post-millennialism, the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Seventh-Day Adventist and the other confused denominations,  is pathetic, and as you say, nonsense. They are spiritually blind to prophetic truth.

I do appreciate your comments very much. I have spent a lot of effort (time, prayer, and research), into them. I do hope that they will help all of us more thoroughly understand the wonderful promises in God's word concerning future events.

Brethren,

Any comments, or questions, on the last lesson? For those newer brethren, if there is a comment, or question, that you need to ask concerning an older lesson, please feel free to ask or comment

Alan

Edited by Alan
spelling

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Brethren,

I am in the process of writing Lesson # 17 on Amos 9:13-15. In Amos 9:14 we read of this phrase, "And I will bring again the captivity of my people Israel ..."  In the lesson, in connection with this phase, we will be looking at other passages (primarily in the Old Testament), that deal with this aspect of the nation of Israel that we do not hear much about.

In connection with the Captivity of the Nation of Israel, I thought it best if I gave an advance notice to some of the passages that I will be referring to in order to give everybody an opportunity to read, and maybe study, the passages in this light. Some of the related passages are: Joel 3:1 & 2, Ezekiel 37:1-14; 39:23-29, and 2 Chronicles 7:19-22

Since we do think much about the "... captivity of my people Israel ..." I would like to give all of you an opportunity to study the passages that I will be bringing out in order to help all of us to take part of the discussion.

Alan

Edited by Alan
punctuation

• Members

Lesson # 17

Some of the subjects in Amos 9:13-15 I had previously commented on. In an effort not to be redundant, and in order to concentrate on the phrase, “... the captivity of my people of Israel…” I will refer the reader to the previous lesson number and passages. If this is an inconvenience, or you have a comment, or you want to discuss a passage I lightly commented on, please feel free to bring out your comments, questions, disagreements, or thoughts.

Amos 9:13-15, “The Release of the Captivity of Israel.”

“Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and the hills shall melt. And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them. And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.”

An over-abundance of physical blessings in the land of Israel

“Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and the hills shall melt.” The prophet Amos prophecies that the days will come in which the crops of the people will provide an over-abundance (“… overtake thee …” Deut.28:2), of food. There will be so much food grown that the individual who plows the ground up for seed will overtake the individual reaping the crop. This situation has never risen in the history of the nation of Israel to our day. This prophecy is literal, observable, and of practicable use for people.

This prophecy will be in accordance to the blessings of Moses as recorded in Deuteronomy 28:1-14 “And these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God.” Deuteronomy 28:2 the prophet Amos is simply speaking prophetically what God had previously mentioned in Deuteronomy 28: 1-13 “And the LORD  shall make thee the head, and not the tail; and thou shalt not be above only, and thou shalt not be beneath; if that thou hearken unto the commandments of the LORD thy God, which I command thee this day, to observe and to do them.” Deuteronomy 28:13 When a person is the “tail” or is “beneath” somebody, or a State, he is in subjection, or control, of that person or State.

I had previously taught on the overabundance of the agricultural blessings in Israel of the prophet Amos prophecies of in the study on Joel 2:21-27 (Lesson # 16, Part 1 of 2 and 3:18-21 (Lesson # 16, Part 2 of 2).

Clarence Larkin, in his book, “The Book of Revelation,” brought out this truth in one of his charts.

Chart, “The Church as seen in the Book of Revelation [1]

9k=

The chart is located between page 38 and 40

Under the blocked section, “The Thousand Years,” you will see the title, “Millennial Dispensation;” in the dotted oval, under the title, “Israel Supreme,” you will see the “Deut.28:13,” scripture reference.

The Captivity of Israel among the Nations of the World

Webster’s 1828 Dictionary defines captivity as the following:

1. The state of being a prisoner.

2. Subjection to love.

3. Subjection; a state of being under control. Bringing into captivity     

every thought to the obedience of Christ. 2 Cor. x.

4. Subjection; servitude; slavery.

But I see another law in my members – bringing me into captivity to the law of sin.  

Rom. vii.

To lead captivity captive, in scripture, is to subdue those who have held others in slavery, or captivity. Ps. lxviii.[2]

The root definition of captivity is being under subjection, or under the control, of another. This subjection can be spiritual, mental, emotional, physical (whether a prisoner of war or a criminal prisoner). This subjection, or under the control of another, can be either intentional (as in love), or unintentional (as in war, as the punishment for a crime or a miss-deed).

When the nation of Israel was in obedience to the commands of God, they were under His subjection (captivity), and God controlled the events that affected the nation of Israel. God plainly expressed the blessings that He would give to the nation of Israel if they obeyed His commandments, precepts, and control, in Deuteronomy 28:1-14 “And these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God.” Deuteronomy 28:2

“And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel …” The prophet Joel prophesied, “For, behold, in those days, and in that time, when I shall bring the captivity of Judah and Jerusalem, I will also gather all nations, and I will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead with them there for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations and parted my land.” Joel 3:1 and 2

The scattering of the Jews from the land of Israel is referred to as, “The Diaspora.” Please see lesson # 16, Part 2 of 2, for my comments on Joel 3:1 and 2

Moses prophesied that when the nation of Israel rebelled against the Lord, the Lord would cause the Jews to be removed from their land and to be scattered among the nations. The prophet Joel and Amos expressed the scattering of the Jews among the nations as a, ‘captivity.’

“And the LORD shall scatter you among the nations, and ye shall be left few in number among the heathen, whither the LORD shall lead you.” Deuteronomy 4:27

“And the LORD shall scatter thee among thee among all people, from the one end of the earth even unto the other; and there thou shalt serve other gods, which neither thou nor thy fathers have known, even wood and stone.” Deuteronomy 28:64

The Captivity of Job

Job 42:10 states, “And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before.” Job was a righteous man full of integrity. The Lord protected Job with a hedge about him and blessed his life, family, finances, and physical health. In Job 1:6-11 Satan accused Job before God and stated that Job served the Lord due to these blessings and protection. After the accusation, God said, “And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.” Job 1:12 In this test, God gave Satan the power to control the events surrounding Job in order to take away all of the blessings that God had previously given Job.

After the love for God, and faith in God, was proved under the severe trial of losing his servants, his possessions, his finances, and the death of his sons and daughters, Satan again accused Job by saying, “And Satan answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life. But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.” Job 2: 4 and 5

Before the severe testing of Job, Job was under subjection, or under control, or in the captivity, of the Lord God in Heaven. God gave Satan the ability to even touch the physical body of Job with physical pain and sufferings hardly ever experienced by an individual.

While under the hand of Satan, Job was in captivity. After the end of the severe trials that God allowed Job to endure, and after he prayed for his friends who mentally abused him, “And the LORD turned the captivity of Job …”  

Like Job, the nation of Israel is under the captivity, or under the subjection and control, of Satan as Joel 3:1 & 2 states. Like Job, once God determines to end the captivity of the nation of Israel, God said, through his prophet Amos, And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel …”

God Plucked the Jews from the land of Israel

In 70 A.D., God ‘plucked’ the Jews from the land of Israel, cast them out of the land, scattered them among the nations of world, and the Jews have been held ‘captive’ in heathen lands up to this day; 2 Chronicles 7:19-22 “But if ye turn away, and forsake my statutes and my command-ments, which I have set before you, and shall go and serve other gods, and worship them; Then I will pluck them up by the roots out of my land which I have given them; and this house, which I have sanctified for my name, will I cast out of my sight, and will make it to be a proverb and a byword among the nations.” Deuteronomy 7:19 & 20

As promised by God to the Patriarchs, gave the Jews the land of Israel. Genesis 12:1-3 and, due to the sins of Israel in rejecting the Lord Jesus as Messiah, God plucked them out of the land until the Jews repent of their unbelief. The nation of Israel is still under the captivity of the nations of the world as God pronounced in the series of cursing’s in Deuteronomy 28:1 -68 “The LORD shall cause thee to be smitten before thine enemies: thou shalt go out one way against them, and flee seven ways before them: and shalt be removed unto all the kingdoms of the earth.” Deuteronomy 28:25

Ezekiel 37:1-14,”The Vision of the Valley of Dry Bones”

I dealt with Ezekiel 37:15-20, and titled that portion of scripture, “The Vision of the Dry Bones,” in lesson # 2, (Isaiah 11:13-16). In Ezekiel 37:15-20 the vision is directed primarily to the ‘stick of Judah and Israel,’ portion of the ‘Vision of the Valley of Dry Bones,’ it seemed best for me to rename the title I gave of Ezekiel 37:15-20 to, “The Vision of the Sticks.” I will edit the previous title (in Lesson # 2), that I gave it to reflect the change.

Ezekiel 37:1-14, “The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones, And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry. And he said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O LORD God, thou knowest. Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD. Thus saith the LORD God unto these bones; behold, I will cause breath to enter unto you, and ye shall live: And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am the LORD. So I prophesied as I was commanded: and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold a shaking, and the bones came together, bone to his bone. And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and the flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them above: but there was no breath in them. Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the LORD God; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live. So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood upon their feet, an exceeding great army. Then he said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts. Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the LORD God; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel. And ye shall know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you out of your graves. And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I am the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD.”

The Vision of the Valley of the Dry bones is foretelling that one day the Lord will restore the Jews to the land of Israel. I had previously mentioned this in connection with the review of the Clarence Larkin book, “The Book of Revelation.” Here is that link:

The graves that the bones dwell in are the nations of the world. God interpreted the message as, “… these bones are the whole house of Israel…” The whole prophesy of the Vision of the Valley of Bones is directed to, “… O my people..” The, “people” of God is the house of Israel.

The People of God – the Nation of Israel

In the Old Testament, the ‘people of God,’ is a reference to the nation of Israel. In a direct reference to the nation of Israel, the Prophet Samuel said, “For the LORD will not forsake his people for his great name’s sake: because it hath pleased the LORD to make you his people.” 1 Samuel 12:22

Saved Gentiles become a Partaker of the People of God

In the Bible, the nation of Israel is likened to the Olive Tree and the Gentiles are likened to a, ‘wild Olive Tree.’ When a Gentile is saved in the Church Age, like a branch grafted into another tree, he is grafted into Israel and becomes a part of (but does not replace), the chosen people; the elect.  “And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree.” Romans 11:17

Webster’s 1828 Dictionary defines partaker[3] as the following:

1. n. One who has or takes a part, share or portion in common with others; a sharer, a

participator; usually followed by of.

If the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things – Rom. Xv

Sometimes followed by in.       

Wish me partaker in thy happiness –

Shak.

If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with

them in the blood of the prophets. Matt. Xxiii

2. An accomplice; and associate.

When thou sawest a thief, thou contendest with him, and hast been partaker with

adulterers. Ps. L.

When a Gentile gets saved, he a partaker with the nation of Israel, is grafted into the blessings of Jacob. The saved Gentiles do not replace Israel; they have a share, or a portion, of eternal salvation, and become a partaker of the “Olive Tree.”

Webster’s 1828 Dictionary defines grafted[4] as the following:

Grafted, pp. Inserted on a foreign stock.

Brethren, before a Gentile is saved, the scriptures state that we, Gentiles, need to remember, “Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcism by that  which is called the Circumcism in the flesh made by hands; That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world.” Ephesians 2:11 and 12 A Gentile is foreign stock, the Uncircumcism, walking in the flesh, aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, strangers of the covenants, no hope and without God.

At the moment of salvation, the Gentiles (among many other blessings), are “grafted into” “the commonwealth of Israel.”

In the Bible, the Messiah, the Lord Jesus is likened to the ‘root.’ “And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.” Isaiah 11:10 The Lord Jesus is the ‘root of Jesse, 'and the ‘people’ that Isaiah is referring to is  the seed of Israel, and the Gentiles are the saved Gentiles in any age. Specifically, this is referring to the Church Age. Nowhere in scripture does any saved Gentile replace the promises and the prophecies to the Jews. The Gentiles are ‘grafted’ into the house of Israel and becomes part of, but does not replace, the house of Israel, “his people.”

The prophet Hosea prophesied, “Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.” Hosea 1:10  The Apostle Paul quoted Hosea 1:10 in Romans 9:6

“And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live.”

Ezekiel 37:14

The prophet Ezekiel prophesied of the nation of Israel, “Thus saith the LORD God unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live: … Then he said unto me, Son of man,  these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off our parts. Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the LORD God; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel. … And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I am the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD.”  Ezekiel 37: 5, 11, 12 and 14

Even though the Jews are returning to the land of Israel, as Ezekiel states, there is no breath in them. The returning Jews, as a whole, are returning to Israel in unbelief in the Lord Jesus as the Messiah. The returning Jews are returning void of the Spirit if Life; the Holy Spirit. In his discourse on the teaching of the spiritual life in Christ to the saints, Paul states, “But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.” Romans 8: 9 The indwelling of the Spirit of God in the life of the believer is a doctrinal truth.

The prophecy of Ezekiel is still not fulfilled in the nation of Israel. The giving of the Spirit of God to the nation of Israel is still future. Since 1898, the Jews have been returning to Israel in a state of unbelief. They are, as Ezekiel prophetically points out, “…but there was no breath in them.”

During the Tribulation period, the 144,000 Jewish evangelists are seeing a multitude of Jews saved throughout the 7 years. During the first half of the 7 Year Tribulation Period, the two prophets in Revelation 11:3-13, are seeing Jews saved.

As the 7 Year Tribulation period progresses, the Jews are being saved by multitudes, they are driven back to the land of Israel, partly in belief and partly in unbelief, and as they are driven in the wilderness during the final 3 ½ years (shortened), they are finally converted, as a nation, as the Lord Jesus is revealed to them as Paul proclaimed in Romans 11:25-28

The prophet Isaiah prophesied of the purging of the iniquity of the Jews at the latter times in Isaiah 27:9, “By this therefore shall the iniquity of Jacob be purged; and this is all the fruit to take away his sin; when he maketh all the stones of the altar as chalkstones that are beaten in sunder, the groves and images shall not stand up.”

When the Jews are purged of their sins, and recognize the Lord Jesus as their Messiah, the prophesy of the Valley of the Bones prophesied by Ezekiel, shall be fulfilled, “And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I am the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD.” Ezekiel 37:14

The Erroneous Teaching of the Jehovah’s Witnesses and Ezekiel 37:1-14

The Jehovah’s Witnesses’ teaching of Ezekiel 37:1-14, “The Vision of the Dry Bones,” is symbolic in nature in reference to the Jehovah’s Witnesses and is not a prophecy to the Jewish Nation of Israel.

In Lesson # 16, Part 1 of 2, Joel 2:21-27, I documented that the Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that the two witnesses of Revelation 11:3-13, are, figuratively, the members of the Jehovah’s Witnesses who are persecuted and the published works of the Jehovah’s Witnesses organization.

In connection with the release of eight incarcerated members of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, who they believe were ‘symbolically’ resurrected, and then they teach that this ‘resurrection’ is according to the prophecy of Ezekiel in Ezekiel 37: 5 and 10

In order to get the correct context the erroneous teaching of the Jehovah’s Witnesses pertaining to Ezekiel 37:1-14, I will need to re-quote the first half of the paragraph then I will quote the second half of the paragraph.

Four days later the eight prisoners were released from the Federal penitentiary in Atlanta, Georgia, and taken on the train to New York city. The next day, March 26, 1919, the Federal Court in Brooklyn, New York, let them go free on bail. Then, indeed, “spirit of life from God” entered into the symbolic corpses of the “two witnesses,” and they became alive to the “witnessing” activity that now lay ahead of them.”[5]

They no longer stayed lying inactive in the broad way of Christendom, but “they 

stood upon their feet,” ready for God’s public service with all the means that he 

would supply for this.  The language here used with regard to them corresponds 

with the phraseology used in Ezekiel’s vision of the valley of the dry bones of Israel

that were  reunited, clothed upon with flesh and made to live again. –

Ezekiel 37:5,10.[6] 

The Jehovah’s Witnesses interpretation of Ezekiel 37:1-14, specifically, Ezekiel 37: 5 and 10 is erroneous.

I had previously documented that the Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that ‘Christendom’ is anyone who are against  the Jehovah’s Witnesses, or their material, is part of the ‘wild beast’ in Revelation 13:1 and 2 Please see the study on Joel 2:21-27, Lesson # 16, part 1 of 2. The interpretation that the beast of Revelation 13:1 & 2 is anybody that is not a Jehovah’s Witness is erroneous.

The Erroneous Teaching of Preterism and Ezekiel 37:1-14

The symbolic teaching of Preterism and the interpretation of Vision of the Dry Bones in Ezekiel 37:1-14 is almost the same of the Jehovah’s Witnesses. The only difference is that the Preterist substitutes the members of the Jehovah’s Witnesses as the fulfillment of Ezekiel 37: 10 and 14 , with the church, a historical event within the Church Age, or, in the case of Hendriksen, he is not sure.

The need for this protective act was great, as the rest of the vision makes clear. It 

pictures two witnesses, possibly considered as an incarnation of Elijah and Moses,

or perhaps typical of all in the church who are called to bear their testimony in the

evil hour. … But this is not to be the final state of things. Even as in Ezekiel the 

valley of dry bones came to life (37: 10, 14), God will act to resurrect the two

witnesses and take them victoriously to heaven (11: 11-12).[7] 

Both the teachings of Hendriksen and the Jehovah’s witnesses miss-interpret Ezekiel 37:4 and 10 . God, through His prophet Ezekiel states that, “… these bones are the whole house of Israel,” Ezekiel 37:11

“… and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them. And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.”

The prophecy of the prophet Amos in the planting of the Jews in the land which God gave them has been unfulfilled to this day.  This prophecy of Amos was not fulfilled after the Babylonian Captivity as Amos said, “…and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.” Since the Babylonian Captivity, the Jews have been pulled up out of the land of Israel, plucked up, and scattered among the nations of the world.

Conclusion

This prophecy of Amos was not given to the church, is in no way symbolic of the church, and is not fulfilled in the Tribulation period.

Therefore, the only time in the scriptures that the Jews will remain in the land of Israel and not be plucked and scattered around the world is during the 1000 Year Reign of the Lord Jesus as written in Revelation 20:4-6

[1] Larkin, Clarence The Book of Revelation, (Glenside, PA: Clarence Larkin Estate, 1919),  n. page number.

[2] “Captivity.” American Dictionary of the English Language, Noah Webster, 1828. Cincinnati, OH: C. J. Krehbiel Co, 2000.

[3] “Partaker.” American Dictionary of the English Language, Noah Webster, 1828. Cincinnati, OH: C. J. Krehbiel Co, 2000.

[4] “Grafted.” American Dictionary of the English Language, Noah Webster, 1828. Cincinnati, OH: C. J. Krehbiel Co, 2000.  

[5] Jehovah’s Witnesses, Then is Finished the Mystery of God, (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society: New York, 1969), 277.

[6] Jehovah’s Witnesses, Then is Finished the Mystery of God, (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society: New York, 1969), 277 and 278.

[7] Hendriksen, William, More than Conquerors, (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1939, 1967), 107 and 108.

Edited by Alan
re-format two quotes changed the incorrect link to the correct link deleted doubled word

• Members

Lesson # 18

Isaiah 55: 12 and 13, “Joy, Peace and Blessings of the Field.”

“For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree: and it shall be to the LORD for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.” 

“For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace …” Isaiah prophesied of the time that the people would have continual joy and peace. This implies both inward peace and joy of heart and a peace and joy within the nation as a whole. “… to be led…” is a reference to the leader the nation. The leader of the nation at the time of Isaiah’s prophecy will lead the people in peace.

I had previously commented on the joy and peace aspect of the Millennium in Lesson # 7, Isaiah 65:17-25 I would like to though bring out some important prophecy passages in Isaiah that foretell of the great joy and peace in the coming Prince of Peace, not only in the hearts of men, but in His kingdom on the earth.

“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6 The prophecy of the Government of the Prince of Peace has not yet been fulfilled on the earth.

“And in mercy shall the throne be established: and he shall sit upon it in truth in the tabernacle of David, judging, and seeking judgment, and hasting righteousness.” Isaiah 16:5 The tabernacle of David was in Jerusalem, in Israel. The Messiah has not yet sit on the throne of David, in Jerusalem. This prophecy has not yet been fulfilled.

“Violence shall no more be heard in the land, wasting nor destruction within thy borders; but thou shalt call thy walls Salvation, and thy gates Praise.” Isaiah 60:18 The land is Israel, the borders are the borders of Israel, and since the time of this prophecy, it has not yet been fulfilled. When the Lord Jesus sits on the throne of David in Jerusalem, as written in Revelation 20:4-6, He will bring Salvation and Praise the land.

I had previously commented on Isaiah 60:18 in Lesson # 6, Isaiah 60:1-22

Philip Mauro, Preterism, Twists Prophecies

Philip Mauro is a classic preterist. Like the Jehovah Witnesses, Mauro gives his own definitions to various words. Here are some examples: modernist, true Israel, natural Israel, literal, the word spiritual, Zion, and  Mauro replaces the word restore with reconstitution. Like the Jehovah’s Witnesses, the reader, as he reads the book, has to decipher the scripture, and the book itself, with the new meanings of terminology.

Also, like the Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mauro leaves out important contextual evidence of a passage of scripture, tells half-truths, and leaves our important passages of scripture in order to deceive. As a person reads the book, even the title of the book, The Hope of Israel: What Is it? is deceptive.

Mauro believes that the prophecies concerning the restoration of the nation of Israel (he deliberately lumps all of these prophecies together in an effort to conceal the true interpretation), were fulfilled after the Babylonian Captivity. Mauro states:

But some will ask if later prophets, as Isaiah, Ezekiel or Zechariah, have not foretold

the return of the children of Israel to Palestine, and by implication prophesied the

re-constitution of the nation?

The answer is that the later prophets could not contradict the word of the earlier prophets – they all being the mouthpiece of Jehovah – and that, of course, they do not.

What has mislead some students of the Bible in this regard is the fact that the prophets

of latter times, as Isaiah and Jeremiah, predicted the captivity of the Jews in Babylon

and their return from that captivity (Isa. 6:12, 13; 44:26-28; 45:13; Jer. 30: 3, etc.).

Prophecies of that class have all been fulfilled.[1]

Please take careful note, in his quote, Mauro does not use the biblical word, “restore,” or “regeneration,” (Matthew 19:28), but makes up a new word, ‘re-constitution.’ Throughout his book, “The Hope of Israel: What Is it?, Mauro changes the definition of biblical words, miss-uses biblical words, changes words, and creates confusion throughout the book.

The passages in Isaiah and Jeremiah 30:3 referenced to: Isa. 6:12, 13; 44:26-28; 45:13; Jer. 30: 3, do indeed speak of the return of the Jews from the Babylon Captivity. But, the other restoration prophecies of Isaiah that I have mentioned (and others), including the restoration prophecies of Ezekiel, and Zechariah has clearly been not fulfilled. Mauro is using the deception method of partial truth to deceive the reader.

Furthermore, when Mauro is referring to, “… misled some students of the Bible …” he is referring to Fundamentalists and the Scofield Reference Bible. Mauro believes that ‘misled Bible students,’ believe the ‘myth’ of a restored nation of Israel.

Philip Mauro, Preterism, teaches that a Restored Nation of Israel is a ‘Jewish Myth’

Mauro stated in his Foreword of the book, The Hope of Israel: What Is it?

NOT GIVING HEED TO JEWISH FABLES” (Tit.1:14). Jewish fables (literally, myths)

are no new thing. Paul has plainly warned the household of faith not to give heed

thereto. He has not given us a list of those grievous heresies; but it is well known that

the one that was most fondly cherished, and that constituted the gravest menace to

the truth of the gospel, was the notion that the leading purpose of the mission of the

coming Messiah would be the reconstitution of the Jewish nation and its elevation to

the highest pinnacle of earthly domain and glory; for that fatuous doctrine was the

cornerstone of orthodox Judaism in Paul’s day; and because of his sturdy opposition

to it he was persecuted, his enemies plotted to take his life, and he was sent a prisoner

to Rome. No wonder that, during his term of imprisonment there, he wrote to Titus

his plain-spoke warning against “Jewish fables.[2]

Mauro makes several erroneous statements.

1. The restored nation of Israel is not a fable or a myth. Reconstitution is his own interpretation of the restored, or regenerated, nation of Israel. 

2. The preaching of the doctrine of the restored nation of Israel was not the greatest menace to Paul the Apostle.

3. Just prior to his arrest that led to his imprisonment to Rome, Acts 21:27-40 to 22:1-23, not one mention is made by Paul, nor his accusers, about the restored nation of Israel. In fact, we read the following reasons why he was arrested and imprisoned. “And when the seven days were almost ended, the Jews which were of Asia, when they saw him in the temple, stirred up all the people, and laid hands on him, Crying out, Men of Israel, help: This is the man that teacheth all men every where against the people, and the law, and this place: and further brought Greeks also into the temple, and hath polluted this place.” Acts 21:27 and 28 Note one word is mentioned, or even implied, that Paul was preaching the doctrine (not fable or myth), of the restored nation of Israel.

Furthermore, in his defense, Acts 22:1-21, Paul relates his personal salvation experience, his experience with the risen and glorified Christ, his experience with Ananias, his experience with the stoning of Stephen and his calling to the Gentiles. Not one word is mentioned concerning the restoration of the nation of Israel.

Mauro is in error. Paul the apostle was imprisoned and sent to Rome due to his preaching of the gospel of the risen Christ as the Messiah; he was not imprisoned due to teaching the doctrine of the restored nation of Israel.

4. There are many Jewish fables that the Jews taught; the warning in Titus is not specific due to the many Jewish fables.

5. The apostle Paul, throughout his recorded speeches in public places, his main topic was salvation in the Lord Jesus as Christ: the Messiah.  

Mauro is improperly using the scripture to try and prove his preterist doctrine.

The Reign of Solomon

The forty year reign of King Solomon is a fore shadow of the prophecy of Isaiah, “For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace …” During the forty year reign of King Solomon, the nation was without war, enjoyed prosperity, the people were joyful and they were led forth with peace. “And Judah and Israel dwelt safely, every man under his vine and under his fig tree, from Dan even to Beersheba, all the days of Solomon.” 1 Kings 4:25

King Hiram gave testimony to the joy and peace in the days of King Solomon, “And it came to pass, when Hiram heard the words of Solomon, that he rejoiced greatly, and said, Blessed be the LORD this day, which hath given unto David a wise son over this great people.” 1 Kings 5:7

The Jews in Israel gave testimony of the leadership of King Solomon in providing the a joyful heart, “On the eighth day he sent the people away: and they blessed the king, and went into their tents joyful and glad of heart for all the goodness that the LORD  had done for David his servant, and for Israel his people.” 1 Kings 8:66

The Queen of Sheba gave testimony of the joy and gladness of the nation of Israel, “Happy are thy men, happy are these thy servants, which stand continually before thee, and that hear thy wisdom.” 1 Kings 10:8

The reign of King Solomon is a type, a shadow, a foretaste, an example, of the fulfillment of the prophecy of Isaiah when he said, “For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace …” Paul the apostle stated that the events that happened to the nation of Israel was an example, and an admonition, for the saints in the dispensation of the Church Age, “Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon who the ends of the world are come.” 1 Corinthians 10:11 The events of the reign of King Solomon is an example of the reign of the Lord Jesus as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS as written in Revelation 19:11-20:6

Therefore, the prophecy of Isaiah “For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace …” has remained unfulfilled and is yet future in its fulfillment. The fulfillment will take place, literally, as recorded in Revelation 20:4-6

Mauro, Preterism, Considers this “Subversive”

The peace and joy that King Solomon brought to Israel is a fore shadow of the world-wide peace that the Lord Jesus will bring in His Kingdom over the whole earth as previously discussed in the Old Testament and revealed in Revelation 20:4-6 Philip Mauro considers this, “of recent origin,” “radical,” “subversive,” “a new system,” and, Mauro states that it is not a doctrine from the Bible but, a doctrine started by the “leading authority,” of fundamentalist, Scofield Reference Bible.

What lies directly in the path of our present inquiry is a system of doctrine which,

though of recent origin, is now widely accepted amongst strictly orthodox Christians,

“Fundamentalists,” according to which doctrinal system the promise of God to

Israel through their prophets was that the coming Messiah would restore the earthy

kingdom of Israel, would give it a glory far surpassing that of the days of David and

Solomon, and would exalt the Jewish nation to the place of supremacy over the nations

of the world. The leading authority for this new system of teaching states it thus: “When

Christ appeared to the Jewish people, the next thing in the order of revelation as it then stood should have been the setting up of the Davidic kingdom” (Scofield Ref. Bible).[3]

Mauro does not give the reader the reference to the quote by the Scofield Reference Bible; so, I will give it.[4]

Almost all preterists will say the same general erroneous argument as Mauro. Preterists deliberately will state that the restored kingdom to Israel is a new doctrine that was started by the Scofield Reference Bible. Throughout the book, Mauro, berates fundamentalists, the Scofield Reference Bible, and denigrates the Jewish nation of Israel. In order to slander, and denigrate, fundamentalists, he states the leading authority is the Scofield Reference bible and not the scriptures.

Return of the Jews from the Babylonian Captivity

After the Jews returned from Babylon the prophecy of Isaiah, “For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace …” was not fulfilled.

In the book of Ezra, from the beginning of the book, until the ending of the book, the people do not have an abundance of joy and are Ezra was not able to lead the people with much peace.

The book ends with the people, the priests and the rulers of the people transgressing the laws of God in regard to the separation of the abomination of the heathen lands surrounding them, Ezra 9:1-15. “For they have taken of their daughters for themselves, and for their sons: so that the holy seed have mingled themselves with the people of those lands: yea, the hand of the princes and rulers hath been chief in this trespass.” Ezra 9:2

“And after all that is come upon us for our evil deeds, and for our great trespass, seeing that thou our God hast punished us less than our iniquities deserve, and hast given us such deliverance as this.” Ezra 9:13

The book of Ezra ends with the nation of Israel with no joy and no peace.

The book of Nehemiah is full of the waging a political war with the enemies of Israel and not much joy for the people to speak of. Nehemiah was able to cleanse the land of some difficulties, but, he was not able to lead the nation into peace.  

Up to, and including, the end of the book of Nehemiah, Nehemiah waged war against the evils within the Temple itself. “And I came to Jerusalem, and understood of the evil that Eliashib did for Tobiah, in preparing him a chamber in the courts of the house of God.”  Nehemiah 13:7

The rest of Nehemiah, Nehemiah 13:10-31, Nehemiah is still cleansing Jerusalem and the Temple of the evil deeds of the people. There is no lasting joy and peace in the book of Nehemiah. 

Therefore, the prophecy of Isaiah “For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace …” was not fulfilled after the Babylonian Captivity and is still a future prophecy.

The Dispensation of the Church Age

As during the dispensation under the Law of Moses, and during all other ages, during the dispensation of the Church, there have been individuals with joy and peace in their hearts. Even during the midst of extreme persecution and trials, there have been individuals, and at times, some local churches, that have had peace and joy. But, as one studies church history, the individual will discover the various members of the different “Christian” (should I say “religious”), denominations have not had peace and joy in their midst for long.

Therefore, the prophecy of Isaiah, “For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace …” has not been fulfilled during the dispensation of the Church Age and is still a future prophecy waiting fulfillment

“… the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. The natural realm will also rejoice in the blessings of the kingdom. The prophet Isaiah is again reiterating the physical transformation of the nation of Israel during the reign of the Messiah. Isaiah 35:1-3, “The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose. It shall blossom abundantly, and rejoice even with joy and singing: the glory of Lebanon shall be given unto it, the excellency of Carmel and Sharon, they shall see the glory of the LORD, and the excellency of our God.”

The physical transformation of the prophecies of Isaiah, and the other prophets of the Old Testament, are literal, tangible, observable, and real. The physical transformations of the land cannot be manipulated, disregarded, symbolized, or spiritualized. The geographical transformation of the land of Israel was not fulfilled after the Babylonian Captivity, after the Ascension of Christ, after the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D., nor up to this day.

I had previously discussed this aspect of the physical transformation of the geographical land of Israel in Lesson # 4, Isaiah 35:1-10

“Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree …”  In this particular prophecy Isaiah specifically mentioned that, the Fir Trees will take place of the thorn bush and the Myrtle Tree will take the place of the brier. This is an amazing statement.

Thorn bushes, thistles, and brier bushes, are part of the curse that God placed on the ground. “Thorns and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field.” Genesis 3:18 Thorns, thistles, and briers are harmful to mankind and only a few have known medicinal benefits. Thorns, thistles, and briers are the bane of both the farmer and mankind.

Fir and Myrtle Trees though, are a benefit to all. Could it be that the Lord lifts this part of the curse during the Millennium? I think so.

“… and it shall be to the LORD for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.” When the Jews rebelled against God during the history of the Jews; God cut them off, drove them out of the land, and caused them to be captive.

“… that shall not be cut off” was not fulfilled in 70 A.D.

In 70 A. D., the Jews, due to their rejection of  the Lord Jesus as the Messiah, were “cut off,” from being a nation, plucked up out of the land of Israel, and scattered among the nations of the world. The sons of Jacob, the Israelites, are still the chosen people of God, and one day will be restored to the land of Israel as prophesied by the Old Testament prophets.

I had previously covered the restoration of Israel in Lesson # 5, Isaiah 30:18-26, Lesson # 6, Isaiah 60:1-22, Lesson # 9, Hosea 3:4 and 5, Lesson # 14, Zechariah 12:9-14, and Lesson # 16, Part 1, Joel 2:21-27   

Therefore, the prophecy of the nation of Israel not being cut off by Isaiah was not fulfilled in 70 A.D.

Philip Mauro, Preterism, and 70 A.D. 

Philip Mauro, and most Preterists, believes that at the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. that the relationship with the nation of Israel and God was permanently severed and never to be restored.

In a long discussion (and the miss-application of numerous scripture passages), Mauro gives the reader a complex definition of: who is Israel, who is natural Israel, who is true Israel, Mauro concludes the nation of Israel (the Jewish descendants of Jacob), are  disowned  and cut off from their relationship from God as of 70 A.D.

And this writer proceeds to show, as many other commentators have done, how, point

by point, in the minutest detail, the judgments executed by the Romans in the years 66-70

of our era, were predescribed by Moses.       

Now the matter of chief interest for our present  purposes is that, from this national

destruction by the Romans there was to be no recovery. And in this, the prophecy of

Moses is in full accord with that of Jesus Christ, recorded in Matthew XXIV and Luke

XXI. For Moses said: “God will rejoice over you to destroy you, and to bring you to

nought; and ye shall be plucked from off the land whither thou goest to possess it. And

the LORD shall scatter thee among all people, from one end of the earth even to the

other” (Deut. 28: 63,64). This, according to this prophecy, was to be the end of their

history as a nation.[5]

Mauro is erroneous in his statements and is a false teacher of the scriptures.

1. The many other commentators are all false teachers: Roman Catholic, Unitarian, The Reformers, Reformed Baptist, Covenant Theologians, and Preterists.

2. According to numerous Old Testament prophets already cited and examined, there was to be a final restoration and Isaiah clearly stated, “… and it shall be to the LORD for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.” At the final restoration, the Jews will never be cut off from the land of Israel.

3. Mauro miss-used the words spoken by Moses in Exodus 28: 63 & 64 and the words of the Lord Jesus as spoken in Matthew 24 and Luke 21

Therefore, the prophecy of Isaiah was not fulfilled literally, symbolically, allegorically, during the Church Age. The fulfillment of the prophecy of Isaiah 55:13, “... that shall not be cut off” remains unfulfilled and is still awaiting future fulfillment. 

When will “… that shall not be cut off” be fulfilled?

The Lord Jesus will end the 7 Year Tribulation Period as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS, Revelation 19:11-21, destroy the armies of the anti-Christ, and will His commence His reign as the King of the whole earth, on His throne in Jerusalem.

“And I saw thrones, and they that sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.” Revelation 20:6

I had previously covered the return of the captivity of Israel, nevermore to be cut off, in Lesson # 18: 13-17

Philip Mauro, Preterism, & Revelation 20:4

Philip Mauro does not believe that the Millennium is neither literal nor future.   Philip Mauro believes that the saints in the present dispensation are ‘now’ reigning with Christ. In his book, “The Hope of Israel: What is it?” Mauro, in discussing Ephesians 2:5 & 6, tells us that we are now sitting, and reigning, in the heavenly realm as written in Revelation 20:6 In the book, Mauro does not quote the whole passage of either Ephesians 2:5 & 6 nor Revelation 20:6

Here is a close parallel in the passage we are studying, beginning, “And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them,” answering to which Paul tells us that we, who are saved by

grace are even now seated on thrones in the heavenly places. The words “hath quickened

us together with Christ” … and made us sit together,” in the one passage, are the equivalent in meaning of “they lived and reigned (together) with Christ,” in the other;

and the words, “hath raised us up together,” are equivalent in meaning to, “this is the

first resurrection.”[6]

Mauro twists the not only words of Ephesians 2: 5 & 6, but then he has the audacity of say that they are, “equivalent” to “they lived and reigned with Christ,” as written in Revelation 20:4 Mauro’s whole interpretation of the saints currently sitting next to Christ on the right hand of God and reigning is erroneous. Furthermore, Mauro completely leaves out, and ignores, the conclusion of: why, what, and when, the saved saints are doing sitting in the heavenly places.

Ephesians 2:5 & 6 says, “Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace are ye saved); And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:” Not one word is mentioned, implied, or even thought of, concerning sitting on a throne, or sitting next to the throne of the Lord Jesus, or even reigning.

The saints are sitting (as there will be mansions in heaven, and walkways in heaven, I think we can safely assume there will be chairs in heaven). Ephesians 2:5-7 has no “equivalency” with Revelation 20:4 The context, and meaning, of Ephesians 2:5-7 and Revelation 20:4 clearly are talking about two different aspects of eternity and heaven.

Paul the Apostle, in verse 7 tells us why we are there, what we are doing and when we will do it. “That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.” Ephesians 2:7

The Apostle Paul states the reason why we in heaven is to show the kindness of God through the Lord Jesus, the when is in the ages to come (not now; but in eternity), what we will doing is showing the exceeding riches of His grace throughout eternity. Paul the Apostle does not even mention anything about sitting and reigning with Christ in heaven. The Apostle Paul is emphasizing the grace, and kindness, and riches bestowed upon undeserving sinners.

At the commencement of the reign of Christ on His throne in Jerusalem, the Jews will not be cut of again; they will not be plucked out of the land of Israel and scattered among the nations of the world.

At the conclusion of the 1000 years, when Satan is loosed out of his prison and deceives the world, in Revelation 20: 9 we read, “And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.”

“… the beloved city …” is Jerusalem. When the armies of Satan are compassed around the city of Jerusalem, God will rain fire down upon them and destroy Satan and all of his armies. The city of Jerusalem and the saints therein, are not cut off, plucked up from the land, driven into captivity nor scattered. The prophecy of Isaiah 55:13, “… that shall not be cut off,” is fulfilled at that time.

[1] Mauro, Philip, The Hope of Israel: What Is it? (Boston, MA: Hamilton Brothers,1929), 84

[2] Mauro, Philip, The Hope of Israel: What Is it? (Boston, MA: Hamilton Brothers,1929), Foreword

[3] Mauro, Philip, The Hope of Israel: What Is it? (Boston, MA: Hamilton Brothers,1929), 9,10.

[4] Matthew 4:17, note # 3, Scofield Reference Bible.

[5] Mauro, Philip, The Hope of Israel: What Is it? (Boston, MA: Hamilton Brothers,1929), 57

[6] Mauro, Philip, The Hope of Israel: What Is it? (Boston, MA: Hamilton Brothers,1929), 253

Edited by Alan
deleted partial sentence

• Members

Brethren,

Today I started to write Lesson # 19, Psalm 67:6

In order to obtain the full richness of Psalm 67:6 we will be looking at the the complete Psalm. This will be the last lesson in the series on the 19 lessons on the prophecies of the Old Testament and the Millenial reign of the Messiah, the Lord Jesus, on His throne in Jerusalem as John the Apostle reveals in Revelation 20:4-6  

In connection with the lesson please take a look at Psalm 72

I will be handling this lesson a little bit different from the other lessons. I will be bringing out the reason why the Lord reigns on the earth for 1000 years before the start of eternity. We will be looking at the heart of God in this matter. God has an plan, He will fulfill that plan, and He has a desire to use those who love him in fulfilling His plan. "But we have this treasure in earthern vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us." 2 Corinthians 4:7 

One last thought on Psalm 67. I will be writing the lesson as a devotion with a spiritual application. Psalm 67 has been called by some as, "The Missionary Psalm." You may want to take a gander at Acts 1:8 to see where I'm headed.

Alan

Edited by Alan
grammer

• Members

I just finished Genesis 50 in our Genesis Sermon series at church. The sermon was titled "The Beginning of the End" and touched on it as being possibly a prophetic allegory of Revelation.

For example Israel and Joseph (picture of Jesus) were both embalmed, which is a picture of preservation. The passage states Israel's embalming/morning took 40/70 days a picture of the Daniel's 70 weeks (Daniel 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.) At the end of the morning period Joseph takes both Israelites and Egyptian elders to Canaan land, in chariots, for seven days leaving only the little ones and cattle as a picture of the rapture period. The Canaanites see them all as Egyptian a picture of being neither Jew nor Greek but one in Christ. Then after seven days he leads them all back into Egypt again as a picture of the return of Christ with His saints. Then making peace again with his brothers, "the children of Israel" who fear his wrath and vow to be his servants a picture of Christ gathering them and caring for the children of Israel (Genesis 50:21 Now therefore fear ye not: I will nourish you, and your little ones. And he comforted them, and spake kindly unto them.). The chapter then ends with a declaration that God will visit them (Genises 50:25 And Joseph took an oath of the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you, and ye shall carry up my bones from hence.) as a picture of Revelation 21:3-5 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. 4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. 5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. Then also the thousand years form the time of Moses leading the people out of Egypt to the time of Christ is Israel having a millennium of sorts.

It seems to me to be that way but I thought I'd throw it out there and see whither or not others could see the parallels or if I was just over spiritualizing the passage.

Edited by John Young

• Members

Orval,

Thank you for your participation. I am about half done at this point. The first part of the lesson will be somewhat serious as in the last lessons. In some respects this lesson will be a devotion towards the last verse. I would like to express my thoughts on what happens at the end of the Tribulation Period, the people that are left, and what the Lord will have His saints do. The end of the lesson will be less doctrinal but more thought provoking towards spiritual matters.

John,

This is the first time that I have heard the thoughts on the end of Genesis and the embalming of Israel and Joseph. Joseph is such a type of Christ in so many respects I can understand some of your thoughts.

Thanks for your participation, your insight on Joseph, Israel and its connection with Revelation 21:3-5

If anybody else has any thoughts on what John brought up; let us know.

Alan

• Members

Lesson # 19

Introduction

Psalm 67:1-7, “The Missionary Psalm”

“God be merciful unto us, and bless us; and cause this face to shine upon us; Selah. That thy way may be known upon earth, thy saving health among all nations. Let the people praise thee, O God; let all the people praise thee. O let the nations be glad and sing for joy: for thou shalt judge the people righteously, and govern the nations upon earth. Selah. Let the people praise thee, O God; let all the people praise thee. Then shall the earth yield her increase; and God, even our own God, shall bless us. God shall bless us; and all the ends of the earth shall fear him.”