• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Opinions About Evolution?

• Members

Hi all! 

This topic isn't so much about arguing the merits of evolution versus creationism, but rather for me, an outsider (as a "believer" in evolution), to understand what it is exactly members of this forum believe about the theory of evolution.

I appreciate any input and here are a list of suggested content to be discussed: what do you think evolution is? Why do you reject evolution? What do you think a theory is? What led you to be interested in this topic? Why do you think evolutionary theory is popular in biology? Can you define a "kind"? To what extent can a creature evolve if you believe it's possible? Why is there an extent to which a creature can evolve? And, of course, why do you hold those beliefs?

If I have the chance or feel the need, I'll jump in and express my opinion, but I'll more than likely just be asking for clarification for my benefit and understanding (and hopefully your's too!)

• Members

Well when I was a school they taught creation but mentioned a theory called evolution. Soon after a scientist wrote  that evolution is not a theory, but a proto theorum.  Today in schools the teach evolution as a  scientific fact.  But it is not science, no one have ever witnessed evolution so they cannot scientifically examine it.  I shared this link on my Facebook page recently.

http://www.icr.org/article/8801

I added a comment  "You have got to be gullible to believe in evolution.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

Hi Old-Pilgrim!

Could you please provide a definition for what you think evolution is and why you don't believe it?

Hi Invicta!

If you could likewise provide your defintion of what you believe evolution is and why you don't believe it, that'd be quite helpful.

Also, I read your article; it only seemed to critique radioisotope dating and the age of the earth which is separate from the theory of evolution. Unless you disagree in which I'm open to explanation.

Thanks again :) 

• Members

Evolution is a belief that organic matter evolved from nothing,  I don't believe it because I believe the bible.  Those who believe in evolution, at least those I have encountered, believe that man is evolving to a better being.  However, as I see it the reverse is happening.  My wife and I are reading Jeremiah at present and reading about the Jews sacrificing their children to Moloch.  How terrible we say.  But millions of children are sacrifice today to the god of women's choice. There has been on the news the last couple of days, a report of a pregnant woman who was attacked and lost her child and left with critical  life threatening injuries. The father has been charged with destroying a child.  How terrible.  Yes, but how hypocritical when millions are destroyed in clinics every year.  All laws come from God.  If there is no God, then there is no right and no wrong, every man can do right in his own eyes.

Why do I believe the bible?

The bible teaches that man is a sinner and the human heart is desperately wicked and that God is a just and awesome Holy God who created all things.  

Throughout the scriptures God promised a redeemer so rescue men from their sinful rebellion against God.  He even said when he would come.  In the fullness of Time Jesus, the Holy Son of God was born of a virgin and lived a holy life which we never could.  The scriptures say, no one is righteous, no not one.  Sin demands a sacrifice. When Jesus died as the Holy Son of God on the cross, he was our sacrifice.  Our sins were transferred to Him.  Or as the bible says "He became sin for us."   Turn to Jesus for salvation now and he will forgive all your sins and rebellions, and give you life ab abundantly.    COME,

Luke 15:7  I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance. 

Luke 15:10  Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

COME

• Members

I think Evolution is a temporary theory set up by the illuminate (followers of satan) in order to lever people away from the idea of the creator God of the Bible, I think it is already now being brought down and discredited by the same illuminate so that the atheists generation either need to become Christian or new agers, and they are expecting that most of them will become  new agers. I think the bloke who wrote the God delusion is probably a luciferian pretending to be an odious atheist in order to make atheism look bad.

I think the theory is so bad that it is unsustainable. It gives Science a bad name. Thats what I think of Evolution theory, I would be unable to believe in something which I believe to be a lie.

• Members

Hi :) 

This question is to all:

Does the scientific definition of evolution, that is the change of allele frequencies in a given population over time, raise any objections? Do you think there is something wrong with this definition and why?

Not sure what you are talking about, please explain.

• Members

Invicta,

Sure, I'd be happy to explain. Science defines evolution as the change in allele frequencies (allele is a term for genes) of a population over time (generally through natural selection). This means that the gene pool of any given population changing brings about a change in the organisms phenotype (characteristics expressed physically) and/or genotype (characteristics expressed on the genetic level).

My question is does anyone object to this definition of evolution and why? Furthermore, does anyone object that this happens and why?

• Members

If you really are serious about wanting to see an academic refutation of evolution please watch these videos.

http://www.fairhavenbaptistcollege.org/media/live-streaming/evolution-and-science-seminar-march-2015

I think you will be surprised at the research this man put into putting all this together.

May God open your eyes to the truth.

• Members

http://www.amazon.com/The-Devils-Delusion-Scientific-Pretensions/dp/0465019374

consider this book and consider a review of it:

"I suppose most people like to at least appear to be open-minded, but sometimes I wonder how often (say) a conservative Republican sits down to read Noam Chomsky's political screeds, or a dedicated leftist sits down to enjoy Adam Smith. I picked up "The Devil's Delusion" in just that spirit, fully expecting to find a book which would argue against most of my own beliefs.

I wasn't really expecting something as brilliant, challenging, and engaging as this. If you think that the only people who don't believe in evolution are Fundamentalist knuckle-dragging Georgia swamp-dwellers, you're in for a big surprise. Berlinski himself is an agnostic of Jewish descent, an astonishingly erudite man and a brilliant thinker. He also writes frightfully well. And it is often hard to disagree with him. As he notes in the opening pages of this book --- concerning religion, God, and the rest: "I do not know whether any of this is true. I am certain that the scientific community does not know that it is false."

You might want to read those two sentences again, because they form the logical heart and soul of this book. Berlinski is not on a mission to preach religion; his task is to make plain just how little we actually know about the universe, and to try and re-awaken our sense of wonder. In this, he succeeds brilliantly.

The book cannot really be summarized in a brief review, but let me try to show you at least his thoughts about cosmology and the Big Bang. First, he makes it clear that the atheist camp has always had a hankering for an eternal universe (funny, that describes me, too) and a huge dislike for a universe which had an actual beginning, and then he demonstrates that all of current cosmological theory and knowledge points to the Big Bang as a singularity --- and not a universe which is constantly expanding and then contracting. So it comes Scarily Close to "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." He then amuses himself (and us) by skewering all of the "objective scientists" who are trying to wiggle out of this "difficulty." It really does sound like "objective scientists" accept the "scientific facts" which suit their own biases.

"We have no idea how the ordered physical, moral, mental, aesthetic and social world in which we live could ever have arisen from the seething anarchy of the elementary particles." One thing I can add is that, the last time I checked, we don't even know how genes and RNA manage to control the color of the eyes. We may be able to draw the hereditary chart and point to the right place in the DNA, but we have no idea at all how the genotype turns into the phenotype.

Berlinski is a Senior Fellow at the Discovery Institute, which is a place devoted to the idea of Intelligent Design, but, as an agnostic, he's something of a maverick even there. You can find him in Wikipedia and on YouTube as well."