• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Happy Birthday Magna Carta

• Members

Today is the birthday of the Magna Carta, a 12th century document which sought to place control on the powers of the king.  More than 5 centuries later those men who formed the Constitution of the United States had read and studied the document in arriving at their ideas of what controls to place upon the government to assure freedom for the citizens of the land.  The Magna Carta as well as the Constitution of the United States have both become museum pieces over the ensuing years since the writing of the Constitution.  The government in all it's branches have usurped powers that once belonged to the people and at first slowly, but now quickly, it is becoming the tyranny that the founders sought to avoid.  Nothing of human origination lasts forever in this world it seems.  Men have gotten comfortable with their freedom and relaxed their vigilance and freedom is fast disappearing from our land.  

We all seem to have so many more important things to do other than watching what those in power are doing . . . . after all they have so much more pertinent information than we do.  It is fallacy that just because they have pertinent information that they can be trusted to make the correct decisions.  Good decisions come from one having wisdom and knowledge alone does not guarantee a wise decision. 

Let me ask you a question.  Where does wisdom come from?  Does it not come from God?  Did Solomon attain to his wisdom by study only?

2 Chron 1:10-12
10 Give me now wisdom and knowledge, that I may go out and come in before this people: for who can judge this thy people, that is so great?
11 And God said to Solomon, Because this was in thine heart, and thou hast not asked riches, wealth, or honour, nor the life of thine enemies, neither yet hast asked long life; but hast asked wisdom and knowledge for thyself, that thou mayest judge my people, over whom I have made thee king:
12 Wisdom and knowledge is granted unto thee; and I will give thee riches, and wealth, and honour, such as none of the kings have had that have been before thee, neither shall there any after thee have the like.   KJV

And Ezra where did his wisdom come from?

Ezra 7:25
25 And thou, Ezra, after the wisdom of thy God, that is in thine hand, set magistrates and judges, which may judge all the people that are beyond the river, all such as know the laws of thy God; and teach ye them that know them not.   KJV

So who are the people who have true wisdom?

Ps 37:30-31
30 The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment.
31 The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.  KJV 

So what kind of a man has the right qualities to lead a nation?  "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge"                                                                                                                    And what kind of man is not?  "but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

Prov 1:1-7
1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;
2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;
3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;
4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.
5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.
7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.  KJV

Our freedom is fast disappearing because we do not demand righteous leaders.  We continually assume that the system will somehow put the best men forward for us to choose from.  We all know in our heart of hearts that this is not so.  We continue to choose unrighteous men from among the unrighteous choices given to us by the unrighteous.  God gives the righteous wisdom, not the unrighteous.  We know that from God's word.  The unrighteous may have worldly knowledge but they do not have God knowledge, and certainly not true Godly wisdom. Please tell me, how can they lead with righteousness and be just?  They can not, and they do not.

2 Cor 6:11-18
11 O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged.
12 Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels.
13 Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.   KJV

For a righteous man to place a man in a leadership role over you and your nation who is not a righteous man, is that not yoking the righteous to the unrighteous.  Can it eventually end in any other way but disaster for righteous as well as the unrighteous.  

• Members

There was an exhibition of the Magna Carta in Faversham, my former home town about 8 miles from here/  There were several revisions and They had on display what is believed to be the latest revision.  Only three of the original clauses are still enshrined in British Law.  The rest were repealed in the 19th century.  The exhibition has now moved on to Canterbury. 

• Members

The Magna Carta is truly one of the great human instruments of government liberties for the average citizen. It was a fine model for the Constitution of the United States. All freedom loving people in America, and around the globe, should be grateful for this British example of liberty. The Magna Carta started the long process of the government model from the ruling of the kings to the ruling of elected representatives.

Edited by Alan
spelling addition

• Members

When I was in school they still taught about the Magna Carta and U.S. Constitution in a positive manner. That changed to viewing them in a less favorable light until today neither are much taught in school at all.

Today, those who uphold these documents as worthy, and especially if they declare such or similar should be followed today as they originally were, are denounced as radicals, out of touch, or even conspiracy theorists and dangerous.

No matter which political "side" once listens to, none of them truly want what the Magna Carta or U.S. Constitution was intended for. They all want big government, they just want it set up in accord with their particular views and pet peeves in mind.

Just in my lifetime tens of thousands of laws have been put in place to curtail liberty and vastly increase governmental control; most in the name of "safety" or "equality".

Withdraw "too much" (according to the government) of your own money from your own bank account and you are reported to the government and investigated.

Allow your children to play outside and a nosy neighbor can call the police who accuse you of endangering your child so they take the child away and demand the parents endure indoctrination training in the form of "classes".

Don't want to wear a seat belt and you face a hefty fine, and much worse if you still don't wear your seat belt.

Want a toilet that flushes with a good amount of water like they did a few decades ago and you are considered a danger to the environment and subject to arrest if you dare find one and install it.

Want to exercise your 2nd amendment rights you must first comply with a long list of legal hoops before you might be allowed to do so in a limited capacity.

Don't like violations of your 4th amendment rights, well now you are considered unAmerican.

Don't like the Dem or Repub candidates, then there is obviously something wrong with you, but not to worry, they won't allow "outsiders" a real chance of getting on ballots and elected.

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Light. How lost all are without Him.

• Moderators

I saw the Magna Carta several years ago. It was pretty amazing to see a document that has has such an impact on our society. It's coming to Edmonton on tour this fall, and I'm looking forward to taking the young people to view it!

• Members

Later kings eroded those rights.  Charles 1st believed in the divine right of kings.  It ended with him losing his head.  Oliver Cromwell restored some of those rights.   He also changed the language in our law system to English, before that it was in French and Latin.  Charles 2nd reversed some of those rights and James 2nd tried to restore Catholicism.  This wasn't popular and he was deposed and imprisoned but escaped and was apprehended by some common people and imprisoned in 2 Market Street, Faversham.  Eventually he was allowed to escape to the continent and was replaced by William and Mary who signed a Bill of Rights.