• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

I don't often do prayer requests for myself, but could sure use some today. I had been concerned about my pastor and some things happening/not happening in our church for a little while now. Last night I learned some new things that both confirmed my concerns and threw gas on the fire. Our pastor is conducting business in ways that are borderline illegal and absolutely unethical. Several members and our assistant pastor have already left over the last few months, but I've been trying to hold my finger in the dam. I cannot, in good conscience, remain where I am.

I'm distraught over leaving my teaching ministry and starting over.

I'm grieved for the church family and friends that remain and that I'll leave behind.

I'm dismayed about moving my son away from his friends.

I'm distressed about trying to find another church.

I could just really use a hug from God today...

• Members

I am so sorry to hear that it appears Satan has gotten the advantage over another Pastor.  I really hate Satan.  I will be praying for you and your church family.  Your church isn't set up to where you can simply vote out a pastor and seek another?  I know if heaven forbid Satan got the advantage over my Pastor, we would first contact his Pastor and home church to see if he could be restored, and if not, then we would be forced to fire our Pastor and seek another.  

• Members

"Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2 It is our joy to pray with you in this matter and to give you comfort and prayer. 

Will be praying for you that God will give you special guidence, wisdom, courage, and comfort. "I called upon the LORD in distress: the LORD answered me, and set me in a large place." Psalm 118:5

2belikeJesus has some good advice in this matter. If the issue is very unethical his advice is the first step, after prayer and godly wisdom from the other men of God in the community, the second step may be an appropriate civil authority and/or seek the advice of a Christian attorney. Romans 13:4

• Members

I am so sorry to hear that it appears Satan has gotten the advantage over another Pastor.  I really hate Satan.  I will be praying for you and your church family.  Your church isn't set up to where you can simply vote out a pastor and seek another?  I know if heaven forbid Satan got the advantage over my Pastor, we would first contact his Pastor and home church to see if he could be restored, and if not, then we would be forced to fire our Pastor and seek another.  

​Unfortunately, not really. He's the planting pastor and apparently has set the church constitution up in a way that vests him with all of the final authority on just about everything. It's only been recently that I've see how weak and powerless the executive/deacon board is to do anything if they wanted to. I'm certain there's a mechanism to remove him as pastor, but he's done well enough at concealing his actions that it would almost impossible to get enough of the congregation behind it. There just aren't enough influential personalities with a backbone. I've come to realize how personality-driven the core of the congregation is.

• Members

How sad. Praying for you and your church. I've been there too unfortunately. Keep us updated please. Has he been confronted by anyone yet? Just curious, but how big is the church body?

​A few people, yes. Most of them have already left the church. Since the issues have been going on over the last year and a half or so, it's been a couple at a time as people find out what has happened rather than a mass exodus. He's done a remarkably good job and keeping most people in the dark on things. For example....

About 18 months ago a man in our church was accused of raping a 9 yr old neighbor girl and was under investigation. He went to the pastor and said he wanted to tell the church about it and felt he should step out of the children's ministry roles he was involved in. He said he was innocent so the pastor wouldn't let him do that and told him to keep everything quiet. A few months later he told the school administrator/assistant pastor (we have a K-6 Christian Academy) to hire him as the PE teacher, but told him not to do a background check because something might come up. Fast forward another 6-8 months, the guy gets arrest, the administrator bails him out and things go back to normal...swept under the rug. It only came out because our other assistant pastor found out and let the parents know. Only then was the guy removed from contact with children. Most people in the church still have no knowledge of any of this.

I wish I could say that this is the whole story, which is really more than enough, but sadly it's just the tip of the iceberg. I only know because I saw some things wrong and asked the assistant pastor who is packing up to take a ministry across the country.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I am saddened by this post.  Over the last several years this type of thing has happened many times in many churches.  Satan found a foothold and the weakness of one person will cost the entire congregation.  Jesus did give an example of a similar situation in Matthew 18: "15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. 16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. 17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican."

Have you spoken to him openly about the problems? If he has not heard and repented of his ways, have you then brought 2 or more church members/elders/deacons to again confront him? And if he has not heard and repented of his ways yet again, have you then told the entire congregation what is going on?  I would hate to see an entire congregation fall apart or be left without knowing what is going on.  If the congregation knows and willfully allows the sinful actions to continue, woe unto them!  But if they are unaware of the problems, how will they know they are following and trusting an evil individual who is obviously not led of the Lord?  

The area I live in used to have a wonderful independent Baptist pastor, but once he passed away (went to the Lord) the church was taken over by a man who doesn't even know the bible and is more concerned with "feel good" sermons, and music programs.  He has never given an altar call (for salvation) that I know of.  He preaches from a new version of he bible (not the King James) and has "contemporary" music now. The entire area suffers for it because there is no-one willing to take his place and lead to flock in God's word and direction.  He has changed the independent status to that of the "Southern Baptist convention" which will not even bring up end time prophecy, let alone the real issues of the day.   I know this type of thing is happening all over the USA right now and there are countless souls lost because no-one is there to lead, teach, preach and bring them to the Lord, nor to lead the saved ones who need direction in witnessing the Lord to others.  

I'm sorry my post is so long, but this hits home for me, and I must ask you to prayerfully reconsider not just leaving and abandoning the church.  I ask you to consider if you or another bible-learned saved man would consider staying and ousting this evil person to help save the church and the community?  It may not be what you had planned on doing, but it may be what God is calling you to do. I will be praying for you and the entire congregation of this church.