• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Freemasonary in the midst of the brethren

• Members

How many times are Christians warned against the cult of Freemasonry?

I can't remember ever hearing any warnings against Freemasonry from the pulpit. Other than one time I travelled about 35 miles to hear a guest speaker from the other side of the world.

Any views?

• Members

Here in Georgia (my area at least), the churches are full of Masons...FULL.

Laymen, teachers, deacons, and pastors...the churches are FULL of Masons and Eastern Star members. The general view is that Masonry is a "christian" organization, but when you point out the inconsistencies with Masonry and the Bible, it falls on deaf ears and you're quickly seen as a troublemaker.

I can't tell you how many times I've shaken hands during "fellowship time" at different churches and received the sissy, limp-grip, thumb-between-the-knuckle Masonic handshake. Makes my skin crawl...

Two things I learned early in my preaching...

If you want to have preaching opportunities where I live, then don't ever preach against...

1. Masons
  2. Democrats

Been a while since I've been invited to preach anywhere around here... :scratchchin:   :nuts:

Edited by No Nicolaitans

• Members

We have freemasons next door on one side of our church, and muslims on the other side, and JW's just down the road.

I don't  preach against freemasons because the Lord hasn't led me to - but there is no need in this church. A long time member was a freemason when he got saved, realised very quickly that it was unbiblical, and left.

Anyone mentions it - or if he notices - he is very quickly onto them.

It is discussed at times as well.

• Members

What NN posted reminds me of a town I stayed in for awhile in Kentucky. The town was run by Masons and the gathering at the Masons lodge and the local Baptist church were almost identical.

I wouldn't say one can't be a Christian and a Mason since I've know a couple of Masons which have a sound testimony, both of salvation and fruits, but from what I've observed it seems most Christian Masons are of the secular variety, not born again.

Over a hundred years ago there was a large group of Masons here but they moved on or died off or something. Their old lodge became a store, then some apartments and now sits mostly useless, other than for a bit of storage, needing torn down.

With no Masons around it seems the local pastors, like Dave, have not been led of the Lord to preach on the matter.

• Members

Over a hundred years ago there was a large group of Masons here but they moved on or died off or something. Their old lodge became a store, then some apartments and now sits mostly useless, other than for a bit of storage, needing torn down.

​I wonder if that was anything to do with the National scandal concerning Captain William Morgan who was murdered by some Fellow Masons for disclosing some of the Masonic Secret Practises, afterwards Masonry lost allot of its decent members. Chris Pinto of Adulam Films did three or Four excellent DVDs and a CD on the Topic of The Mystery Religion, including quite a bit about Freemasonry, Rose&Cross and Jesuit-ism, and in particular their attempts to subvert the gospel and to rule the World.

Freemasonry is pretty much a non topic in this area, most people won't discuss it, I think it is also more secretive in the UK, some people would take offence if asked if they were members, according to C Pinto old school Masonry it was a complete secret if you were even a member, I sometimes wonder if Masonry in the UK has more underground than it does in the surface.

An interesting unconfirmed report is that the UK Masons are in negotiations to rebuild Solomon's temple in Jerusalem.

• Members

In Australia they present as a social club, but there is a mechanism that runs behind it all.

This comes from our ex-mason member and from documents I was given some years ago.

They are like the mormons in that - there is the surface institution, and the underlying monster that you only find out about once you are in too deep.

• Members

The nearest Masons' Lodge is small and they mainly act as a civic group. They rent out their hall, have sales there, perform some public services and that's about it. There aren't many of them.

In the areas where there are many Mason's they are typically very active in community organizations, politics and one or more churches. Also, at least here in America, Mason's love to advertise their membership. It's common to see Masons sporting Masonic belt buckles and rings. If, like in that Kentucky town I mentioned previously, they control things, these signs of being a Mason are also used as means of intimidation and control.

• Members

​I feel I need to interject here...

Each one is a soul in dire need of correction and deliverance, and you'll never get anywhere without love.

Sword,

Thank you for the gentle rebuke/reminder; it was well said. Though I tried to be humorous with my input, I apologize to anyone it may have offended.

How often we forget that we all were involved in things that we shouldn't have been after being saved. None of us became sinless at the moment of salvation, nor will we be sinless until we're made perfect when we're with the Lord one day. I'll fess up on something here...I was in a rock band when I first got saved, and I continued to be in the band for several months thereafter. The Lord dealt with me about it rather quickly, but it took a while for me to submit and give it up and leave it behind. 

I agree with you; in that, just because someone is a Mason...that doesn't mean they're not saved. I think that like all of us, a lot depends on their personal walk with the Lord. If a person is saved, and they sincerely want to grow, want to learn, and want to please God...they will. I do think that's the key though...to sincerely desire those things. If a person isn't studying God's word, praying, learning, etc., they'll be susceptible to accept things they shouldn't or wouldn't.

​It's easy to point out faults in others when we know something is wrong, and we don't struggle with it. At times, it's hard to comprehend why someone can't see that what they're doing is wrong, but it would do us all good to remember that our relationship as a child of God is a growth process. No matter how much we've grown, no matter what sins we've laid aside through repentance, no matter what we don't struggle with, no matter what sins don't affect us...the fact remains that all of us...still sin.

• Members

​I feel I need to interject here on behalf of the hypothetical individual you're describing because the tone of this thread seems to echo your sentiment to varying degrees. This is not an attack on this quoted post in particular or anyone really, but rather a plea to all who are concerned with the issue.

At full disclosure, I was a Mason for a few years (just after graduating college) before I got right with God. I was saved long before I ever even considered that. Many concerns about Freemasonry are valid and wholly agree that a Christian should not be a part of it. However, I would ask that you please realize and keep in mind that just because someone is a Freemason does not negate their claim to Christ. Almost to the person, every Mason I ever knew who fit this description fell into one of two categories:

1 - They did not think critically about anything they encountered in in Freemasonry. Everything is done in highly symbolic fashion such that people who aren't inclined to look below the surface never see anything out of place. A requirement for entry is the belief in a singular deity. Combined with the ceremonies revolving around a narrative about building Solomon's Temple (albeit an entirely fictional one) with many Old Testament references; many undiscerning Christians don't see how it can refer to anything but the faith that they know. They, themselves, have been greatly deceived and just don't understand what the fuss is about. They think they're in an organization that augments their Christianity. They're not devious. They're not heretics. They're not cultists so far as they understand it. They are simply deceived/misguided/undiscerning and need loving correction.

2 - It is entirely a social club. They don't see anything particularly religiously binding and the majority of time spent in/with the lodge have nothing to do with spirituality. They play dominoes and eat chips and cookies. They lean on each other through personal problems. They volunteer with charities and having meetings on public service projects. They just spend time with their friends. Simply put, they don't see it as something in opposition to their faith or in direct support of it. To them, it's no different than the Lion's Club or Rotary Club or even their local DFW. As far as they see it, they're a group bound together by a higher moral standard (one of their tag lines is "taking good men and making them better"). They simply think they're involved in something dedicated to the greater good, and that's all the investigation they think they need. Again, they're deceived, not condemned.

Look, I know all the downfalls of Freemasonry. I came out of it for a lot of a good, biblical reasons; but please don't make the mistake of branding all of its members cultists like Mormons or Jehovah's witness. I know some that are as worldly as the visitor sitting in the pew next to you and some that are as spiritually mature as anyone here and could run circles around most of us in a biblical/theological discussion. Being deceived and entangled by something that intentionally obscures its true nature does not negate their saving faith. They are every bit as much a redeemed believer as you and I. (please keep in mind I'm not talking about all Masons, just those who continue to proclaim Christ)

Yes, they are a part of something that ultimately teaches heresies of all kinds. Yes, they absolutely need to come out of it. I simply ask that you consider their statement of faith and treat them with brotherly love, because I promise you that the people they're entangled with treat them with more of it than what I see posted about them by those who see Freemasonry for what it is. Each one is a soul in dire need of correction and deliverance, and you'll never get anywhere without love.

​Yep, I think what I so briefly stated and you have also at length expounded are in agreement. I stand by what I said. If they claim Jesus Christ, and enter into the brotherhood of freemasonry, then continue to contrast it with the Bible they will come out. Praise God you did my brother in Christ.

• Moderators

The one thing I have mentioned to some friends of mine who are believers and Masons, is to get them to think about one thing: While in the lower levels, the first three, (as is my understanding, anyways), they reveal to the person the meanings behind various symbols. When they achieve the next level, they are told that the meanings are actually not what they were told, but really, they are such-and-such. Then, upon reaching the third degree, they are once again reinterpreted to them. So, I say, the very fact that an integral part of their growth in the organization centers around being LIED to, in itself shows that it is not Christian. So far, it hasn't fazed them and they continue on. I think many today join because of the help it can give them in career growth and some certain power in the local small community.

I have spoken against Masonry from the pulpit, though I have not done a concerted sermon on the subject because, like others here say, its not generally an issue, no one in my church is a Mason. However, none of them are Mormons, either, but I talk against them. Why? Warning. If they don't know to beware, they will be subject to falling for it, so I DO warn about it.