• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How do you get the most out of the bible?

• Members

So I've grown rather bored of Chronologically reading through the word of God.

I have read through the bible as a whole somewhere around 4 or 5 times, I was thinking recently about how a lot of the New Testament is written to the churches and how it's  specially for the church age, so I figured I need to start really learning and digging so I had an idea:

Read through the same New Testament book every day for a month, and do a different book each month, this way it will take a bout 2 years or so to get through the New Testament., in addition to these I will be working through the Psalms (1 a month) and reading the same Psalm 5 times a day to try and memorize them.

I am thinking about not reading the Old Testament at all so I can really focus on these New Testament books. not sure though, I was also thinking about just reading through the Old Testament Chronologically in the mornings.

What are your thoughts?

What methods or ways of reading/studying your bible have you found to be the most helpful?

• Members

The Lord has led me at different times to read and study the Word in different ways.

There was a year I concentrated on the New Testament, reading through it several times. At another time I read First John every afternoon for a month. On a few occasions I've been led to spend much time in the Psalms. I've read the Proverbs a day each day. I've read through the Bible using yearly plans. I've read through the Bible at other times more than once a year. Sometimes I've concentrated mostly on reading while at other times there is more an emphasis on study or memorization or a combination.

There is no set perfect way, other than to be sure to be in the Word daily.

Spend time in prayer about this and follow the Lord's leading. We need the Holy Ghost guiding and enlightening our reading and study.

If what you mentioned above is how you believe the Holy Ghost is leading, then by all means follow that plan until the Holy Ghost directs you otherwise.

• Members

I read a chapter at least 5 times to get a lot out of it and to study with understanding. A lot of people who use the 1 year reading plans rush through the scriptures and may not get a lot of it with their hasty reading. Reading slowly and carefully has helped me. I am not concerned how long it will take me to get through the Bible.

• Members

I typically do 5-10 chapters chronologically, a Psalm, and a Proverb for my daily reading and then have a chapter or two that I sit down for more in-depth (usually whatever I'm making a lesson for on Sundays). I'm a big fan of bulk reading combined because it helps me keep contexts and the big picture in mind as well as keep things fresh; but I also believe that you have to get below surface reading on a regular basis as well.

• Members

Well I've finally made up my mind. I am abandoning Chronological reading for now. I am going to read the same NT book over and over again for a month and move on to a new book each month. all the time during this I will continue a memorization plan I have been doing through Song of Solomon, I read the same chapter 5 times a time for a month straight, and then I move on to the next chapter. I am on chapter 6 now, once I finish song of Solomon I will begin working through the Psalms using the same method.

I felt bad about stopping reading through Chronologically. So to make up for it I am going to listen to the bible chronologically ( i have the complete Alexander Scourby Audio set of the bible) as I drive my car since I do quite a handful of driving. 

:)

• Members

After over 37 years saved, I have read the bible through well over 30 times and felt I was not getting as much out of it anymore.  I wanted to do something that would get me to look much closer not only at the "word of God" but the WORDS of God.  Now I hand write out the entire bible word for word, I am starting my second time through.  This usually spawns multiple "word studies" as I come across curious words often "glossed over" in casual reading. I will then let the bible define its own terms when I do a word study by seeing how many times the word is used throughout the bible and the context in each incident.  I am a big fan of studying the bible "horizontally" rather than "deeper". 

Bro. Garry

• Members

After over 37 years saved, I have read the bible through well over 30 times and felt I was not getting as much out of it anymore.  I wanted to do something that would get me to look much closer not only at the "word of God" but the WORDS of God.  Now I hand write out the entire bible word for word, I am starting my second time through.  This usually spawns multiple "word studies" as I come across curious words often "glossed over" in casual reading. I will then let the bible define its own terms when I do a word study by seeing how many times the word is used throughout the bible and the context in each incident.  I am a big fan of studying the bible "horizontally" rather than "deeper". 

Bro. Garry

​I did something similar years ago. A pastor encouraged a group of us men (a men's Bible study) to do as kings were commanded and write ourselves a copy of Scripture. He didn't expect us to sit and write out the whole Bible, but to choose a book and do so and see where the Lord would lead from there.

My writing has never been good but now it's atrocious to the point that after awhile I can't even read some of what I write! I've considered perhaps in the future when I get a better computer I may try doing this on the computer. Even then it would take awhile because my fingers won't take as much typing as they once did.

Good idea doing the writing and thinking. I had a university professor who used to stress the educational benefits of that and how it really helps to firmly root things in our minds.

• Members

After I got saved in 1987, just like you all, the word of God became my one and only desire. Every moment I could find through my day, whether at work or home or at someone else's home, my Bible was my constant companion. I read it. I studied it. (by using my trusty dusty Strongs Concordance.) I constantly listened to Evangelist tapes from our revival services we had at our Church and others that we fellowshiped with. (Great times those were!) And I just ate it up. After getting married my wife and I started family devotions together and later with our children. As a family we have read the Bible straight through from Genesis to Revelation 5 times. And besides the 20+ times on my own, we have God's word in us somewhat good. We never rushed through, but I know there were times it seemed repetitive, to myself and my family. When door knocking and street preaching and passing out tracks all over the 3 or 4 counties around us, it was imperative to know God's word as good as we could. People have so many different ideas on what is in the scriptures. They act like they know, but they don't. Anyway, I recommend reading straight through to get the flow of 'why the NT?', and seeing the view from the old gives true value to the new.

[I love the writing out the Bible idea!]

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

Bro. Garry

​Marvelous idea! I might have to try this when I'm all done with school.

• Members

After I got saved in 1987, just like you all, the word of God became my one and only desire. Every moment I could find through my day, whether at work or home or at someone else's home, my Bible was my constant companion. I read it. I studied it. (by using my trusty dusty Strongs Concordance.) I constantly listened to Evangelist tapes from our revival services we had at our Church and others that we fellowshiped with. (Great times those were!) And I just ate it up. After getting married my wife and I started family devotions together and later with our children. As a family we have read the Bible straight through from Genesis to Revelation 5 times. And besides the 20+ times on my own, we have God's word in us somewhat good. We never rushed through, but I know there were times it seemed repetitive, to myself and my family. When door knocking and street preaching and passing out tracks all over the 3 or 4 counties around us, it was imperative to know God's word as good as we could. People have so many different ideas on what is in the scriptures. They act like they know, but they don't. Anyway, I recommend reading straight through to get the flow of 'why the NT?', and seeing the view from the old gives true value to the new.

[I love the writing out the Bible idea!]

​I agree it's very important that we know the overall context and "flow" of Scripture. This is one of the main values of reading the Bible through. Even after we have read the Bible through many times and may move on to other aspects of reading and study, it's good to come back from time to time and read through the Bible to keep the context and flow in perspective. It can be very easy to get caught up in one book, portion, topic or subject and lose sight of the overall picture. It's always very important to know how each part fits into the overall picture.

The year I spent reading the NT several times rather than reading the whole Bible through I still made sure to get at least an overview of the OT through listening to the OT Bible on MP3 and doing a study in Psalms.

My morning reading is mostly a matter of reading through the Bible to have the overall perspective and refresh what I've read before. In the afternoon I focus on reading and studying a book of the Bible or a particular subject or topic. I also try to read from some devotionals through the day which adds more variety to what I'm taking in each day.

The main thing is to be in the Word daily. It's sad how many Christians, even those who have been saved for years or even decades, don't read their Bibles or only occasionally will read a small bit.

• Members

I have two separate regimes.

I study according to books for preaching, and I read the current book several times before I start with notes, then read the chapters repeatedly as I begin to take notes in preparation for preaching, continuing to read the book and chapters as I progress through compiling my notes.

I also study by subjects - this is not for preaching but for knowledge and understanding.

I would normally do a word search in my Bible program, listing every verse that mentions the word,  and then adding appropriate associated words in similar fashion.

These studies may result in a message, but this is not done with that in mind.

Of these, the former is done with regularity in order to formulate a preaching series, and the latter is done ad hoc as a subject comes to my attention.

Aside from these two study based regimes I also have a plain reading program where I simply read the books in order. I found I needed this as a simple reading time. I have no intent to gain from this reading, although of course I do. But this is not reading with a particular purpose - it is gentle "let the Lord work on my heart" reading. Some days I "get little out of it" but other days the Lord uses the reading. Other days I initially get little, but the Lord brings it to my mind later for some reason and blesses me with it.

We can get so wrapped up in dedicated study that we forget to allow time and space for the Lord to bless us personally through His Word.

That's me anyway.......

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I like to read through the Bible cover to cover, thoughtfully.  I don't try to get through it in one year, I take my time and even camp out in a passage if the Spirit moves me.  I use thought questions to engage with the passage -- such as is there a promise in this passage?  is there a command in this passage?  is there a warning in this passage?  is there a verse that stands out to me and why?  then I will look at the previous three questions and ask who is this promise/command/warning given to? what was the reason? where did this take place?  when did this take place?  how did it come about, or how did affect them?  why?