• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Reverend?

• Members

Stymie Goatudder? hahahahahaha RevBob The Bible says that "God commendeth His love toward us...WHILE we were yet sinners" and in another place "He first loved us". John 3:16 says "for God so loved the world....". and in the Book of Matthew (I think) it says if we love our enemies, that we are behaving LIKE GOD.

• Moderators

We tell people that they go to hell and that Jesus hates them, but it doesn't have to be that way.  We also fellowship and support each other, and actively teach the Bible and enforce Biblical ways within our churches and homes.

In a nutshell, that's the church I belong to and what we're about.

​So, I'm not sure where this is found in scripture, but, as was mentioned above, God commendeth His love toward us in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. JOhn 3:16 says "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son..." The 'world', is the lost, in this context. God loved us when we were lost, unsaved and on the way to hell. So, to tell people God hates them, but he wants to love them and save them, is absolutely unscriptural. Seriously, would you be inclined to marry someone who said, "Well, I hate you as you are, but if you married me, I would love you."  Got hates sin, but loves sinners, sent His Son Jesus Christ to die for them, for US. His love for man isn't predicated on our acceptance of Him because He loved us before we loved Him.

• Members

We preach the true Gospel, and not some politically correct version of thereof.  We tell people that they go to hell and that Jesus hates them, but it doesn't have to be that way.  We also fellowship and support each other, and actively teach the Bible and enforce Biblical ways within our churches and homes.

​

​So, I'm not sure where this is found in scripture, but, as was mentioned above, God commendeth His love toward us in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. JOhn 3:16 says "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son..." The 'world', is the lost, in this context. God loved us when we were lost, unsaved and on the way to hell. So, to tell people God hates them, but he wants to love them and save them, is absolutely unscriptural. Seriously, would you be inclined to marry someone who said, "Well, I hate you as you are, but if you married me, I would love you."  Got hates sin, but loves sinners, sent His Son Jesus Christ to die for them, for US. His love for man isn't predicated on our acceptance of Him because He loved us before we loved Him.

​I was going to say something like this, but Mike beat me to it. I'll just piggyback with another verse...

John 15:13 - "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

Perhaps I need to read the Gospels again, but I don't recall Jesus ever going around telling people that He hated them. If you actively read and taught the Bible, you'd have compassion for the lost instead of disdain. You sound more like a Westboro member than you do a Christian.

• Members

I'm not familiar with RevBob, but the words he uses are used in the Bible. Harlot, whoremonger, drunkards, sodomites and more are all used to describe sinners. I see nothing wrong in using these words. But I don't believe God hates anyone either. 

• Members

​

​

​I was going to say something like this, but Mike beat me to it. I'll just piggyback with another verse...

John 15:13 - "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

Perhaps I need to read the Gospels again, but I don't recall Jesus ever going around telling people that He hated them. If you actively read and taught the Bible, you'd have compassion for the lost instead of disdain. You sound more like a Westboro member than you do a Christian.

​

He bases his "God hates them" on Psalm 5:5, and using John 3:16 to prove that God loves sinners doesn't apply to today (according to him), because the verb "loved" is past tense. This was all covered in this thread --> http://www.onlinebaptist.com/home/topic/23437-soulwinning-teens-and-young-people/

• Members

​He bases his "God hates them" on Psalm 5:5, and using John 3:16 to prove that God loves sinners doesn't apply to today (according to him), because the verb "loved" is past tense. This was all covered in this thread --> http://www.onlinebaptist.com/home/topic/23437-soulwinning-teens-and-young-people/

​Ah...I hadn't actually read that one. Makes sense now. I guess none of us are going to heaven then since Rom 5:8 used the past tense. We weren't born and therefore not sinners yet when Christ died for us. He must've only died for people who were sinners back then...

• Members

The Bible says that a soft answer turneth away wrath but grievous words stir up anger. I'm glad that the preacher who preached the morning I got saved, did it with a quiver in his voice and tears of love and compassion on his face. I not only realized I was a wicked sinner deserving of Hell, but that Jesus was real and really loved me. That's a far cry from insulting people with a smirk on your face.

• Members

I'm not familiar with RevBob, but the words he uses are used in the Bible. Harlot, whoremonger, drunkards, sodomites and more are all used to describe sinners. I see nothing wrong in using these words. But I don't believe God hates anyone either. 

Miss Daisy, it is not so much the terms, but the way they are used.

He uses them in a derogatory way, while the Bible uses them as descriptives.

He thinks he is better than them, and talks down to them (see the thread linked above by NN), while Paul reminds us that "such were some of you" for instance.

• Members

Miss Daisy, it is not so much the terms, but the way they are used.

He uses them in a derogatory way, while the Bible uses them as descriptives.

He thinks he is better than them, and talks down to them (see the thread linked above by NN), while Paul reminds us that "such were some of you" for instance.

​You don't know what I think, and ought to stop putting words in mouth that were never there.  I do believe in Unconditional Election, so no I don't believe there is anything about me that's inherently better.  Any goodness in Elect comes from Jesus, not from them.

And I did use those words descriptively.

• Members

​You don't know what I think, and ought to stop putting words in mouth that were never there.  I do believe in Unconditional Election, so no I don't believe there is anything about me that's inherently better.  Any goodness in Elect comes from Jesus, not from them.

And I did use those words descriptively.

When you describe what you think, we do know what you think - and you made it plain in the other thread.

• Members

I see so many things that are Scripturally wrong with that statement!  First off, as mentioned by others in this thread, Christ died for us.  In the past.  He loved the world. (John 3:16).  Loved is in past tense, referring to something that happened or was the case in the past.  Now let's take a look at John 3:17-18: "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."  Notice that it says that though Him the world might be Saved.  Not "will be Saved," not "going to be Saved," not even "may be Saved".  In other words, there is only a some odd chance that one actually will be Saved.  That's not me making things up, or claiming something I want.  In fact, I don't want most anyone to go to Hell.  That's just plain and careful reading of the Christian Bible and accepting what it says.  Then the Bible goes on to tell us that those that don't believe (present tense) are condemned already.  Anyway you look at it, this is not an expression of unconditional love that "love preachers" often claim by taking John 3:16 out of context.

Regarding your marriage analogy, that is rather unscriptural.  When we are Born Again, we are converted.  We are not same persons that we were before we were Saved.  So to use your analogy, it would be more like, "if you really wished to change, and become an entirely different person, full of Grace and goodness and charity, then I would love you."  Of course, the Salvation equation is not that simple, and neither are the issues of Jesus' love for His Elect and the despise He has for the reprobate children of the devil. (John 8:44-45)

Edited by RevBob

• Members

Here you go ProudBob - we don't have to guess at your attitude:

".....  Talk down to them, but with wit and knowledge, and always truthfully.  If they try to smartmouth you, nothing is better than exposing them for the fools that they are--....."

the whole post can be found in the link by NN.

• Members

And I stand by those words 100%.  Of course they don't say or imply what you claim.  I urge you to stop lying for Satan, repent, and accept the true Jesus of the Christian Bible.

• Members

Rob, I'm not aware of DaveW making any statement of belief that differs from the forum's doctrinal statement, so if you think DaveW is embracing a false Jesus and is therefore unsaved, then by extension that must be your belief about everyone on here who agrees with the board's doctrinal statement, which is probably 99% of folk on here.

The webmaster makes it very, very clear what his forum is for: it's for Christian fellowship, i.e. fellowship between people who consider each other brothers and sisters in Christ. So if you think most or all the people here are not brothers and sisters in Christ, then what are you doing here?