• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Reverend?

• Members

Here in Australia I don't know of one pastor who uses the term "Reverend", either for himself or for a visiting Pastor or evangelist, yet a few guys I know, when they have been to the US have been called "Reverend" when they have preached at IFB churches over there.

Personally, aside from not being a Biblical term, I find it a little offensive to the Lord, as He is the one due reverence, not His servants.

Any thoughts?

Is this common over there?

• Members

I think of it as sort of an academic title, much like Professor.  A man can be a PhD doctor, or a Professor.  Refering to someone as Prof. is an acknowledgment of their academic accomplishment.  Calling someone a Reverend is an expression of acknowledgment of theological accomplishment.

• Members

It's a common title, as mentioned above, given upon completion of certain Christian degrees.

Our pastor, who is Baptist, who attended a Baptist seminary, holds the title of "Reverend" from the seminary. Even so, he typically uses the term "pastor".

Different pastors use different terms for various reasons. Most IFBs I know don't use the term "Reverend", even if they hold that title from a degree, except sometimes in an official capacity where such is helpful or needful.

• Members

Yes, we have quite a few so-called "reverends" over here. The Bible word "reverend: is found only one time (Psalm 111:9) and it refers to God. So, if I were a preacher or pastor, just "brother" would be fine,

..holy and reverend is his name. Psalm 111:9

And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul...... Acts 9:17

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

"Reverend" in Ps 111:9 is not used as a given or proper name.  It's used as an adjective.  It's a word like any other and can be used in many different contexts.  The same verse also teaches us that God's name is holy.  But God's name is not the only thing that's holy. 

• Members

And it is not Biblical to take that attribute which is applicable to God himself and apply it to His servants.

In fact humility is the proper place for a servant of the Lord.

To take the title "Reverend" for himself is to lift his heart up in pride.

• Members

No, it's not.  We won't be wrong to say that God is good.  Goodness itself.  That doesn't make words "good" and "goodness" off limits when talking about things other than God.  Saying that someone is a good person or that you strive to be good is not applying an attribute of God to people.  It's no different with the word "reverend".

Edited by RevBob

• Members

In the UK too it is a title associated with qualifications and it appears on forms and questionnaires as 'Rev'. Apparently the correct title is actually 'The Reverend' and if I remember there are peculiarities with using it in letters and stuff because it is an adjective. For example you can say "The Reverend John Smith" but it's considered grammatically incorrect to say "The Reverend Smith". Or something.

As a title associated with a person's qualifications, it's akin to 'Doctor' (learned) and 'Professor' etc, and also suffixes like 'Msc' (Master of XYZ). All of them are grand words that are designed to elevate and distinguish the bearer. But I don't think I've ever heard a baptist or methodist pastor use 'reverend' for their everyday title. Rather they use it when they need to declare their qualifications, for example on a public notice.

With the Church of England its different, because 'Reverend' is also a title associated with rank, along with stuff like 'Right Reverend', 'Venerable' etc, all the way up to the Queen herself. People will sometimes call the clergyman in charge of a church 'Reverend' instead of 'Vicar', though again I've been told it's grammatcially incorrect. None of that CofE stuff should be a surprise to anyone...

• Members

Here in Australia I don't know of one pastor who uses the term "Reverend", either for himself or for a visiting Pastor or evangelist, yet a few guys I know, when they have been to the US have been called "Reverend" when they have preached at IFB churches over there.

Personally, aside from not being a Biblical term, I find it a little offensive to the Lord, as He is the one due reverence, not His servants.

Any thoughts?

Is this common over there?

​Agreed, it is offensive. Reverend is a term synonomus with charlatan in the US. It is a worldly religious term invented by that old devil himself. Only religious hirlings apply that term to themselves, similar to priests and "fathers" of popery. Noone truly called of God.

I call noone good either. We seriously misuse that word if you apply it to any person.

• Members

Reverend is a common title in America, both through being given as a degree title and what some churches use as the official title of the pastor. While some fringe folks may seriously abuse the title, for the most part it's simply meant to convey a person who has attained a ministerial degree and/or is the pastor of a church and is used in the same manner as titles such as pastor, mr., doctor, etc.

All of the Methodist pastors I've known, and known of, were titled reverend. Many Baptist pastors also hold that title, either through degree or due to that particular Baptist church preferring that title for their pastor. It's not uncommon to hear a pastor referred to as "the right reverend (insert name)". When the man who is our associate pastor now completed his ministry degree and was officially ordained, I joked with him that he could just sign his name "RRR" since his first name begins with an "R" and so does "right reverend". Like our senior pastor, he uses the title of pastor, but most often is referred to by his first name, as is our senior pastor.

Our senior pastor's office door used to have a sign on it which read "Minister". He didn't care for that title either, preferring a sign which reads "Pastor".