• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

John81,

Thanks for the good testimony and thoughts

I could have left out the reference of Israel, but, due to my own personal thoughts, I decided to include the reference.

Israel did not as a country send troops to Vietnam, but, American Jews did fight as US citizens.

Also, while at Lowry Air force Base, Denver, CO (now deactivated), I remember observing some Israeli soldiers, in Israeli uniform. From what I was told at the time they were training along with the rest of us (the training was in Electronic Warfare Systems).

http://www.jpost.com/Video-Articles/Video/Israelis-in-Vietnam

• Members

Brethren,

Here is an article on how in our age many people (mostly liberals, Muslims, activits, and other mis-guided individuals), who are offended by the flag of the United States in public places are hounding patriotic individuals.
Even though these patriotic Americans are being bullied by authorities there are some who are defending their rights with the help of other patriotic individuals.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/05/14/old-glory-to-keep-on-truckin-after-school-reverses-ban.html?intcmp=latestnews

• Members

I need to get a new flag, we had a horrible wind storm and it ripped my flag in many places. 

​Perhaps this should go in the "pet peeves" section but this is something I wish more people would consider. I'm glad you know the condition of your flag and recognize the need to get a new one.

It really makes me wonder about those who fly a flag in front of their house continually but don't seem to notice when it starts looking worn. Then the worn looking flag becomes more and more tattered, ragged, ripped, even shredded and yet they leave it there. To me, this looks very bad, appears disrespectful, and even violates the rules of flag display.

I've always made it a point to know the condition of my flags and to replace them when they begin to look poorly. It would be better to have no flag flying for months or years than to have a shredded flag dangling during that time.

• Members

Here is a tribute on America from John Wayne.

If anybody has a tribute to America, whether it is a personal testimony, a quote from somebody else, a poem, or just a thought that comes to your mind on the greatness of America, please post it.

• Members

Freedom is Not Free

On this Memorial Day may we remember the veterans of the United States of America.

May we remember their ultimate sacrifice for the defense of our country, our freedom and our lives.

Some Memorial Day quotes

1. A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” – Joseph Campbell

2. These fallen heroes represent the character of a nation who has a long history of patriotism and honor-and a nation who has fought many battles to keep our country free from threats of terror.” – Michael N. Castle

3. “It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” –
General George S. Patton

4. “This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.” – Elmer Davis

5.“We come, not to mourn our dead soldiers but to praise them.” – Francis A. Walker

6. “Although no sculptured marble should rise to their memory, nor engraved stone bear record of their
deeds, yet will their remembrance be as lasting as the land they honored.” – Daniel Webster

A Memorial from the Captain of our Salvation.

The Lord Jesus said, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

• Members

I've thought a lot about the young men who died in battle and wasn't saved. It was a sad yesterday. 

​Many thoughts of such myself. While so many Christians are building up the dead soldiers as the only reason we have freedom, most of these dead soldiers are now forever without any freedom or anything good at all. Very sad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I wrote the following when my middle son was deployed to Iraq 2002-2003.  This was the time when patriotism seemed to have been revived in the wake of 9/11.  Now in 2015 as unpatriotic and disrespectful that it is....a marred, torn, and tattered Stars and Stripes grievously expresses the true overall condition of our nation and the ungrateful, divided, and perilous state that it's in.  As God Almighty has been and continues to be "shoved" out, the darker and more venomous our once greatly blessed country is becoming.  My husband is a partially-disabled Nam Era Vet, and all four of our children have served our country putting their lives on the line (as well as our son-in-law who was shot while serving in the desert sands).  Two of our sons are still serving, but hoping to retire in a few short years.  Though so saddened by the decline of our nation we're still ever grateful with even more emphasis to all those who have gone before and fought for our freedoms, and for those presently serving doing their best to maintain them.  We gratefully praise our God for the freedoms we yet possess here today, and raise the flag as an indication of our appreciation for them!  Praise God for the hope we have in HIM!

Glorious Homecoming

I sat and watched the homecomings of those military personnel that were detained in China, and those that were POW's in Iraq.  What a flutter of deep feelings arose from my heart.  The tears dripped down my face before I was even aware of them.  The phenomenon of that choking sensation from the "lump" in my throat was prevalent; for the depth of emotion in my heart was great.  What was it that caused such a rush of feeling?  My eyes were glued to the television with anticipation that surely was akin to the elation that the returning military personnel's families and friends much have felt.  There were many small hand-held American flags waving in the breeze and my tears seemed to blur the flag's images into a single American banner of freedom.  The feelings of pride in the American flag were evident; the stars and the stripes and the colors of red, white, and blue and what they represent rippled in the breeze.  The origin of the flag's colors signified unity.  The White represented Purity and Innocence, the Red was for Hardiness and Valor, and the Blue represented Vigilance, Perseverance, and Justice.  The thirteen stripes, of course, represented first the original colonies, and then a five-pointed star was added for each state that was born of the Union.  Our star spangled banner is often called "Old Glory".  My country is my beloved United States of America.  As I sat and watched the eager arrival of each one of those military members, I knew that each one, as well as their families, represented the free and the brave.  I am so proud; so very proud.  Each brave soldier, sailor, airman, and Marine has signed a contract that has opened the door to the possibility of being put in harm's way.  So many paid the price for freedom with their own blood.  All of them are "heroes".  I was so happy for these special ones that were spared their lives and returned to us.

What is the depth of feeling?  What does the pride mean?  What makes me cry?  My own children have signed that sacrificial contract and have been in harm's way, and I so very proudly wave the banners of the military branch that they serve, underneath that of the Stars and Stripes.  What makes me stand so proud and want to stand at respectful attention with dripping tears when these kinds of scenes unfold?  I do not know that I can possibly verbalize what is on my heart.  I cannot help but to go back to the flag and the unity for which it stands.  I do believe that it could very well be that the unity and loyalty to our country shines on even in the midst of her troubles.  America stands, for she has been greatly blessed by God.  She went through the pangs of birth as a brand new nation.  She lived on in spite of her Civil War.  Tragedies have plagued her from the international political realm.  Natural disasters have threatened her health and countless loved ones were lost.  Much trouble from her politics, finances, and moralities darkly clouded over her at times.  Our country though, has withstood it all, and she is mighty and strong and enduring.  There is no other explanation for her greatness than that we have been mightily blessed by God Almighty.  My heart is so full and the tears have glistened down my face.  This is not a haughty pride.  This is a grateful pride...for I am included, privileged, and honored with being a citizen of the United States of America; my home sweet home.  Are there really words that can aptly describe this pride in my country?  The waving flags, and the beloved camaraderie of fellow Americans, has had a way of straightening my stooping posture.

Alas, I will never be in my country's spotlight and welcomed home as a hero as each of these brave ones has.  That is quite alright however, for one day I will experience being  introduced and welcomed into my eternal home.  The angels shall shout and sing glorious songs upon my arrival.  Heaven's flags are as the glorious flutterings of the wings of those awesome heavenly cherubim and seraphim.  Even though here with earthly insignificance, one day I shall be ushered into eternity and in that celestial place there, my name will be known.  So many thousands shall greet me with joy.  With the riddance of my earthly body, my soul will be bared to all there.  However, there on that golden shore, the robes of righteousness that Jesus has clothed me with, will visibly don my soul.  Without reservation, I will proudly wear those blessed robes.  There will be no need to be concerned with poor posture there, for I will be changed and able to stand and move about with ease upon the thousand hills of Heaven.  Those streets of gold, the river of life that flows there, the many mansions prepared shall represent "Glory"; though upon my arrival with unspeakable awe my eyes shall be fixed upon my God.  I am so grateful for my Heavenly home away from this earthly one.  It took the shedding of His blood to gift me with freedom and with citizenship there, and likewise it took the shedding of blood of fellow Americans that provided me with the freedom and citizenship of this earthly and beloved country.  May I wave the banner of HIS love that has encompassed me, and joyously wave the flag of eternal freedom that I've been so mercifully blessed with.  I am greatly grateful that God has blessed America, and very soon I will actually be at one of those televised homecomings, anxiously awaiting the arrival of more heroes; one of which is my own beloved son.  I look forward to waving my American flag there, and hopefully the banner of His love will sparkle upon my countenance with joy.

Welcome home, dear ones!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

WellWithMySoul,

Thank you very much for the sacrifice of your husband and his disability for his patriotic actions during the Viet nam War and the service of your four sons in the military for the defense of America.

Thank you also for your essay on , "Glorious Homecoming." That is a wonderful blessing. One day, and that day will last for eternity, we will be welcomed into our heavenly, and eternal, home.

"But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city." Hebrews 11:16