• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Soulwinning Teens and Young people

• Members

I was at an event last night May 7, 2015.  A suburban festival.  You could sample food from local restaurants.  There were about I an estimated 50k people there.  Very rare you have that many teens in one place.  They just seemed to be there many with adults.  There are many schools around there.   We handed out tracts and talked with them.  As many as we could.  It was rare a opportunity.  Teens can talk to other teens of course.  However they were really willing to listen to us.  It seemed.  How many of you get soulwinning opportunities with teens and young people?  

Edited by Potatochip

• Members

Thank you for the testimony of being able to witness to those teens at the festival. The Lord gave you a good opportunity and you used it for the a great witness. 

Most of the opportunities for witnessing to teens over here on Taiwan has been in groups of two to five teens. I generally give them all a tract and usually about three of them decline due to being Buddhists. Of the normally one or two that accept, afterwards, in front of the group, depending on the situation,  I let them know that the  Lord loves them and give all of the a verbal invitaiton to come to church.  

• Members

Thank you for the testimony of being able to witness to those teens at the festival. The Lord gave you a good opportunity and you used it for the a great witness. 

Most of the opportunities for witnessing to teens over here on Taiwan has been in groups of two to five teens. I generally give them all a tract and usually about three of them decline due to being Buddhists. Of the normally one or two that accept, afterwards, in front of the group, depending on the situation,  I let them know that the  Lord loves them and give all of the a verbal invitaiton to come to church.  

Oh I would love to go to Japan and do that lol.  Don't ask me why or how.  

A friend a street preacher died recently.  We had a potluck dinner.  I was talking to a saint at that dinner.  That happened to be Japanese.  He said what I have been hearing all along.  Japan is where missionaries go to "die".  Meaning - Japan is really tough to soulwin in.   Its interesting I have read books dated in the 1800s that say the same thing.  Stories of people that have been missionaries in Japan.  Saying it is really unperceptive to the gospel.   

Great challenge the Far east I guess.  Are you native to Taiwan, Alan or did you go there from somewhere else?  

Edited by Potatochip

• Members

Your closer to my age then.  I am from Mi.  Originally.  Here where I am you see Asians.  However its kind of in streaks.  They are kind of hard to have tracts ready for. Because sometimes you see many and sometimes not.  We have one guy that was in Vietnam.  U.S. Military.   That goes with us.  Your commitment is great.  Staying away from home for so long.  

I try reaching in-town people.  (In the city) Atlanta.  I would like to see a witnessing scenario.  That would be interesting.  Some of my friends and I admire.  The number of missionaries the IFB Church's seem to have.  Their commitment to them.  They seem to take overseas missionaries very seriously. It seems like a deeper level of commitment.  Not to denigrate what I do.  I look at people like you and well...    

Edited by Potatochip

• Members

I know a missionary couple who work with the Japanese speaking people in LA. Nearly all those they work with return to Japan so whatever seeds are planted here end up in Japan. They speak of the difficulty in reaching the Japanese with the Gospel.

The only Japanese "Christian" I've met turned out to be a Mormon.

I know some Korean and Filipino Christians. It's easier to speak with people from Korea and the Philippines about Christ. Koreans came to have a favorable view of Christians because the Christian missionaries in Korea didn't submit to the Japanese who took over Korea in the early 20th century until the end of WWII. The Christian missionaries refusing to forsake Christ and refusing to side with the Japanese against the Koreans left a deep impression.

One problems I've noticed with some Korean Christians is they try to mix some of their ancestral practices into their Christianity. They also have the same problem we have here, there being many professing Christians who are secular Christians only; not born again. These folks are among those who mix a lot of their ancestral things in their Christianity which can make things confusing for the unsaved.

The Filipinos, being mostly Catholic, are at least open to hearing and speaking of things Christian. Most often what seems to really hold them back is family connections and traditions tied to the RCC. We know a Christian pastor in the Philippines, he has a small church, and while it's slow going he is seeing some progress for Christ after many years service there.

As already mentioned, the Chinese and Japanese (and some other Orientals) are especially resistant to the Gospel. The false religions they are connected with are deeply entwined in their lives, families, culture and society. It takes much prayer and patience to take the Gospel these people.

• Members

Well in talking with that Japanese brother.  I was commenting.  Japan, well Tokyo is considered the safest city on earth.  Statistically for crime.  They are very fastidious in work.  Seem to obey the law, same manner.  I'd think they would make great Christians lol.  They don't put up with a lot of malarkey it seems.  

He was telling me that its not so great.  Like sin.  Things that are "legal" etc.

I really like those people.  In that you can't keep up with them when it comes to work lol.  It seems.  I worked for them long ago.  They are sticklers for getting it right to. Thrifty and law abiding.    The barrier for me and many is the language.  Which I am not very good at.  Seems very complicated.  The Japanese brother was telling me they will agree with you and walk on.  Not meaning it.  Another thing they are very close knit culturally.   Not many outsiders. I seem to recognize they are law abiding, hard working.  I really like them.  What would seem to be a "strange" culture to us.  Is a really well organized society seems to me.   

Edited by Potatochip

• Members

Potatochips analysis is right on the mark. Having spent some time in Japan I noticed the cleanliness, very hard work ethic, and some agreeability with what you say. I would like to add that both races are more intellectual than some Western cultures. Both the Chinese and Japanese, spoken and written, languages are complicated and are the cause of numerous missionaires giving up and leaving. Both cultures are extememely close knit in their family, work and culture ties. In some aspects both the Chinese and Japanese culture is better than the Western culture. 

Edited by Alan
grammer

• Members

Potatochips analysis is right on the mark. Having spent some time in Japan I noticed the cleanliness, very hard work ethic, and some agreeability with what you say. I would like to add that both races are more intellectual than some Western cultures. Both the Chinese and Japanese, spoken and written, languages are complicated and are the cause of numerous missionaires giving up and leaving. Both cultures are extememely close knit in their family, work and culture ties. In some aspects both the Chinese and Japanese culture is better than the Western culture. 

I guess its expensive to live there also.  They are a very close knit culture.  However if you like someone.  I don't know maybe that makes up for it.  Learning Japanese doesn't thrill me.  However it would be a necessity more than likely.  Preaching the Gospel in Japanese would be everything.  For some reason.  I think they have more of an aptitude for all of this than some might think.  My opinion.  

• Members

In Indian culture there is a willingness to agree - a desire to please that can become very embarrassing.

A lady accepted our missionary, Sally's invitation to a house meeting. So we collected her. When we got there, she immediately wanted to leave, as she had also accepted an invitation to dinner with a family in the other direction. She included us in the invitation. We were 2 hours late! 

"Yes, I will come" usually means, "thanks for the invitation, but no."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I was at an event last night May 7, 2015.  A suburban festival.  You could sample food from local restaurants.  There were about I an estimated 50k people there.  Very rare you have that many teens in one place.  They just seemed to be there many with adults.  There are many schools around there.   We handed out tracts and talked with them.  As many as we could.  It was rare a opportunity.  Teens can talk to other teens of course.  However they were really willing to listen to us.  It seemed.  How many of you get soulwinning opportunities with teens and young people?  

​We often minister specifically to the younger audience.  Went to Hill Cumorah last summer to preach to the Mor(m)ons, and had a very good experience with their teens.  If you preach to them right, they listen.  If they are of the Elect, they'll get Saved.  If not, at least we're working towards the Biblical mandate to establish the Christian nation. (Matthew 28:20)

I find it most important to teach them the real Bible and the real Biblical Jesus.  Not some lovey John-3:16-only nonsense.  If you get their attention, and then preach in a Godly and violent manner, with Bible in hand, to remind them that their lives are worthless and meaningless without Jesus, they won't be able to turn away.  Their parents may not like it, but so what?  For the younger children, the classic fire and brimstone works exceptionally well too!  Be sure to be graphic when telling the little ones about the torments of Hell, the fire, the demons, burning in the lake of fire.  Watch them shake with fear, then offer them the ultimate solution--Jesus!

Edited by RevBob

• Members

Its interesting.  I have friends, acquaintances that will try preaching outside schools on sidewalks.  I have never tried that.  However the spring and summer means they are at events.  Sometimes with their parents.  I try to get Bible tracts into their hands.  They are usually receptive to that.  I get to some really large event.  Most times you will find them at spring and summer festivals with their parents.  Older teens at concerts the 2 and 3 day events.  I really enjoy reaching younger people.  Young minds not making decisions.  But taking in what they see and learning.  The Word of God sticks with people and doesn't come back void.  

• Members

Preaching outside schools can do wonders, if done right!  What you don't want to do is to be another boring guy with a bullhorn yelling Bible verses.  And you don't want to be like some simpleton guitar preacher either.  Kids are attracted to shiny things, and while we condemn the ones that are unGodly, we ought to use others.  One of the things they like most is money.  So you can appeal to that.  Dress nicely, drive there in a nice car.  I know of one preacher who is well off, and he gets kids attention by standing on top of his Benz, preaching.  You also have to talk to them with authority, not like one of their friends, and definitely not like a parent.  Talk down to them, but with wit and knowledge, and always truthfully.  If they try to smartmouth you, nothing is better than exposing them for the fools that they are--next thing you know, next time you're there, that smartmouth will be there as well with a Bible, if for no other reason than to try to show off.  If they see you as their better, which they must do anyway (Peter 5:5), they will listen to you, and they will want to learn to be like you!