Online Baptist Community

Bible Quiz

Rebecca

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Ukelelemike,

In answer to your Bible trivia question. Ebenezer is a place where the Lord helped, (or helps), His people "Then Samuel took a stone, and set it between Mizpeh and Shen, and called the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hetherto hath the LORD helped us." 1 Samuel 7:12

• Moderators

Ukelelemike,

In answer to your Bible trivia question. Ebenezer is a place where the Lord helped, (or helps), His people "Then Samuel took a stone, and set it between Mizpeh and Shen, and called the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hetherto hath the LORD helped us." 1 Samuel 7:12

​Yes, indeed, though I guess I was vague in what I wanted. "Ebenezer means, literally, "Stone of help". But we'll call it good.

As for the unofficial question, the baptism was derived from the Jewish custom of tevilah where a convert to Judaism is completely immersed in a kosher mikveh. The point of the tevilah was to symbolize the person's total immersion into, and dedication to, the Jewish religion, entering the water a Gentile, and rising out as a Jew.  The symbolism is very similar to Christian Baptism, a symbol of the act of Christ as He died on the cross, and our joining with the local body. Both are a public profession of faith, though of course, John's baptism was a public profession of repentance.

So, Alan, you're up!

Ukelemelemike,

Thank you for the teaching us the Jewish custom, tevilah, of baptizing, by immersion, a Gentile convert to Judism.

Next question. Who smote Paul on the mouth for his testimony?

The high priest Ananias commanded whoever was standing near Paul to smite him on the mouth. 

Acts 23:1-2  1. And Paul, earnestly beholding the council, said, Men and brethren, I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day. 2. And the high priest Ananias commanded them that stood by him to smite him on the mouth.

• 2 weeks later...

King David, Psalm 95:8, "Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation  in the wilderness."

But, technically, the Holy Ghost, "Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To-day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness." Hebrews 3:7 & 8 The writer of Hebrews quoted this verse from Psalm 95:8

Very good Alan.  I figured this would be a tough one since many people have a problem ascribing a "voice" or personality to the Holy Ghost and therefore it never dawns on them that the Holy Ghost could ever say something.

Your turn with a tough one.  

In one verse, there are three items mentioned that man cannot knowest. The first two items in the verse are an illustration that illustrates the last item. What are they?

Edited by Alan
grammer

Could this possibly be Prov. 30:18-19 - "There be three things which are too wonderful for me, yea, four which I know not: * The way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of man with a maid"?

Or could it be when God by his mighty works convicts Job of his ignorance.  Pretty much all of Job 38:4 through Job 39:2.  

Job 38:4-41 (KJV)
4  Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
5  Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
6  Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7  When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
8  Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb?
9  When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it,
10  And brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors,
11  And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?
12  Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; and caused the dayspring to know his place;
13  That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?
14  It is turned as clay to the seal; and they stand as a garment.
15  And from the wicked their light is withholden, and the high arm shall be broken.
16  Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?
17  Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death?
18  Hast thou perceived the breadth of the earth? declare if thou knowest it all.
19  Where is the way where light dwelleth? and as for darkness, where is the place thereof,
20  That thou shouldest take it to the bound thereof, and that thou shouldest know the paths to the house thereof?
21  Knowest thou it, because thou wast then born? or because the number of thy days is great?
22  Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail,
23  Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, against the day of battle and war?
24  By what way is the light parted, which scattereth the east wind upon the earth?
25  Who hath divided a watercourse for the overflowing of waters, or a way for the lightning of thunder;
26  To cause it to rain on the earth, where no man is; on the wilderness, wherein there is no man;
27  To satisfy the desolate and waste ground; and to cause the bud of the tender herb to spring forth?
28  Hath the rain a father? or who hath begotten the drops of dew?
29  Out of whose womb came the ice? and the hoary frost of heaven, who hath gendered it?
30  The waters are hid as with a stone, and the face of the deep is frozen.
31  Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?
32  Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons?
33  Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven? canst thou set the dominion thereof in the earth?
34  Canst thou lift up thy voice to the clouds, that abundance of waters may cover thee?
35  Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we are?
36  Who hath put wisdom in the inward parts? or who hath given understanding to the heart?
37  Who can number the clouds in wisdom? or who can stay the bottles of heaven,
38  When the dust groweth into hardness, and the clods cleave fast together?
39  Wilt thou hunt the prey for the lion? or fill the appetite of the young lions,
40  When they couch in their dens, and abide in the covert to lie in wait?
41  Who provideth for the raven his food? when his young ones cry unto God, they wander for lack of meat.  

Job 39:1-2 (KJV)
1  Knowest thou the time when the wild goats of the rock bring forth? or canst thou mark when the hinds do calve?
2  Canst thou number the months that they fulfil? or knowest thou the time when they bring forth?  

In one verse, there are three items mentioned that man cannot knowest. The first two items in the verse are an illustration that illustrates the last item. What are they?

I was instructed to give a hard question; I think I succeeded.

​Maybe I need to give a hint or two. Before I give the hints we need to consider the above two supplied answers and how they do not fit perfectly.

1. Proverbs 30:18 and 19, "There be three things which are too wonderful for me, yea, four which I know not: * The way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of man with a maid"? These are two connected verses and there are four items. And, the last item, "... and the way of man with a maid." does not illustrate the first three items. It is an excellent verse though to show all of us we do not know a lot about nature nor the heart of man. Excellent try.

2. Job 38:4 to 39:2 Nope. There are four items in Job 39:1 & 2 and the last item, is just another question that does not illustrate the other three questions.

Hints:

1.The verse is speaking about wisdom, or the lack thereof, but, it is not in Proverbs. It is one verse that stands alone.

2. The verse does not use the word, "wisdom," but it is implied.

3.The verse is in the Old Testament. And, it is in relation to the necessity of belief without knowledge: hence, all that is left is faith in God.

4. Please notice, I used the word, "knowest," not, "know, or known, or knowledge." That word, "knowest," should strike a bell in the deep recesses of someones heart.  Oh! I love that archaic, hard-to-understand, Elizabethan, King James English! Its many wonders are too many to understand!

5. As both of the above two supplied answers were very fine examples of the many things that Job, and mankind in general cannot know, I need to add a part of the verse to narrow the possible answers down. As my final hint for the day, I will add, "... knowest not ..." The wording  in my original question was, "cannot knowest," which coupled with, "knowest," means, "cannot know," or, "knowest not."

Hopefully, the above hints will give you some more guidence to help you find the answer.

Edited by Alan
grammer construction number sequence

Ecclesiastes 11:5

As thou knowest  not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest  not the works of God who maketh all.

Ever notice how spell check knoweth not how the Bible speaketh ?    See also Col 1:15 -17 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created,that are in heaven , and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, for him: and he is before all things, and by him all things consist.