• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bible Quiz

• Members

In one verse, there are three items mentioned that man cannot knowest. The first two items in the verse are an illustration that illustrates the last item. What are they?

Edited by Alan
grammer

• Members

Could this possibly be Prov. 30:18-19 - "There be three things which are too wonderful for me, yea, four which I know not: * The way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of man with a maid"?

• Members

Or could it be when God by his mighty works convicts Job of his ignorance.  Pretty much all of Job 38:4 through Job 39:2.  

Job 38:4-41 (KJV)
4  Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
5  Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
6  Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7  When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
8  Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb?
9  When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it,
10  And brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors,
11  And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?
12  Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; and caused the dayspring to know his place;
13  That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?
14  It is turned as clay to the seal; and they stand as a garment.
15  And from the wicked their light is withholden, and the high arm shall be broken.
16  Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?
17  Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death?
18  Hast thou perceived the breadth of the earth? declare if thou knowest it all.
19  Where is the way where light dwelleth? and as for darkness, where is the place thereof,
20  That thou shouldest take it to the bound thereof, and that thou shouldest know the paths to the house thereof?
21  Knowest thou it, because thou wast then born? or because the number of thy days is great?
22  Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail,
23  Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, against the day of battle and war?
24  By what way is the light parted, which scattereth the east wind upon the earth?
25  Who hath divided a watercourse for the overflowing of waters, or a way for the lightning of thunder;
26  To cause it to rain on the earth, where no man is; on the wilderness, wherein there is no man;
27  To satisfy the desolate and waste ground; and to cause the bud of the tender herb to spring forth?
28  Hath the rain a father? or who hath begotten the drops of dew?
29  Out of whose womb came the ice? and the hoary frost of heaven, who hath gendered it?
30  The waters are hid as with a stone, and the face of the deep is frozen.
31  Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?
32  Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons?
33  Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven? canst thou set the dominion thereof in the earth?
34  Canst thou lift up thy voice to the clouds, that abundance of waters may cover thee?
35  Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we are?
36  Who hath put wisdom in the inward parts? or who hath given understanding to the heart?
37  Who can number the clouds in wisdom? or who can stay the bottles of heaven,
38  When the dust groweth into hardness, and the clods cleave fast together?
39  Wilt thou hunt the prey for the lion? or fill the appetite of the young lions,
40  When they couch in their dens, and abide in the covert to lie in wait?
41  Who provideth for the raven his food? when his young ones cry unto God, they wander for lack of meat.  

Job 39:1-2 (KJV)
1  Knowest thou the time when the wild goats of the rock bring forth? or canst thou mark when the hinds do calve?
2  Canst thou number the months that they fulfil? or knowest thou the time when they bring forth?  

• Members

In one verse, there are three items mentioned that man cannot knowest. The first two items in the verse are an illustration that illustrates the last item. What are they?

I was instructed to give a hard question; I think I succeeded.

​Maybe I need to give a hint or two. Before I give the hints we need to consider the above two supplied answers and how they do not fit perfectly.

1. Proverbs 30:18 and 19, "There be three things which are too wonderful for me, yea, four which I know not: * The way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of man with a maid"? These are two connected verses and there are four items. And, the last item, "... and the way of man with a maid." does not illustrate the first three items. It is an excellent verse though to show all of us we do not know a lot about nature nor the heart of man. Excellent try.

2. Job 38:4 to 39:2 Nope. There are four items in Job 39:1 & 2 and the last item, is just another question that does not illustrate the other three questions.

Hints:

1.The verse is speaking about wisdom, or the lack thereof, but, it is not in Proverbs. It is one verse that stands alone.

2. The verse does not use the word, "wisdom," but it is implied.

3.The verse is in the Old Testament. And, it is in relation to the necessity of belief without knowledge: hence, all that is left is faith in God.

4. Please notice, I used the word, "knowest," not, "know, or known, or knowledge." That word, "knowest," should strike a bell in the deep recesses of someones heart.  Oh! I love that archaic, hard-to-understand, Elizabethan, King James English! Its many wonders are too many to understand!

5. As both of the above two supplied answers were very fine examples of the many things that Job, and mankind in general cannot know, I need to add a part of the verse to narrow the possible answers down. As my final hint for the day, I will add, "... knowest not ..." The wording  in my original question was, "cannot knowest," which coupled with, "knowest," means, "cannot know," or, "knowest not."

Hopefully, the above hints will give you some more guidence to help you find the answer.

Edited by Alan
grammer construction number sequence

• Members

Ecclesiastes 11:5

As thou knowest  not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest  not the works of God who maketh all.

Ever notice how spell check knoweth not how the Bible speaketh ?    See also Col 1:15 -17 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created,that are in heaven , and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, for him: and he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

• Members

What verse in the Bible could have inspired Samuel Morse to invent the telegraph?  Bonus question....... What was the first message sent on his invention (not a verbatim quote of scripture)?

Edited by 2ndTimothy
grammar

• Members

I'll take a stab at this one.  The first long distance coded message I could find in the bible.  

1 Samuel 20:20-22 (KJV)
20  And I will shoot three arrows on the side thereof, as though I shot at a mark.
21  And, behold, I will send a lad, saying, Go, find out the arrows. If I expressly say unto the lad, Behold, the arrows are on this side of thee, take them; then come thou: for there is peace to thee, and no hurt; as the LORD liveth.
22  But if I say thus unto the young man, Behold, the arrows are beyond thee; go thy way: for the LORD hath sent thee away. 

The bonus question was lot easier..."What Hath God Wrought".  (Name of a good book to, written by William P Grady (What Hath God Wrought) on bible versions and the supremacy of the KJV).

• Members

I realize there are lots of possible directions this could be coming from.That was a very good logical attempt. Just remember the principle of electricity carrying a sound. There were lots of attempts to accomplish this feat at the time Samuel Morse succeeded .You are absolutely right on the bonus!!!

• Members

In the culmination of a incident, there was a heated discussion between two men in the Old Testament. The two men discussed (should I say argued?), about who troubled Israel.

Who were the two men listed in the two verses that describes the trouble and who caused it?

• Moderators

1 Kings 18:17-18

And it came to pass, when Ahab saw Elijah, that Ahab said unto him, Art thou he that troubleth Israel?  And he answered, I have not troubled Israel; but thou, and thy father's house, in that ye have forsaken the commandments of the Lord, and thou hast followed Baalim.

Ahab & Elijah were the men arguing - and of course it was Ahab's fault.