• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bible Quiz

• Members

Ukelelemike,

In answer to your Bible trivia question. Ebenezer is a place where the Lord helped, (or helps), His people "Then Samuel took a stone, and set it between Mizpeh and Shen, and called the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hetherto hath the LORD helped us." 1 Samuel 7:12

• Moderators

Ukelelemike,

In answer to your Bible trivia question. Ebenezer is a place where the Lord helped, (or helps), His people "Then Samuel took a stone, and set it between Mizpeh and Shen, and called the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hetherto hath the LORD helped us." 1 Samuel 7:12

​Yes, indeed, though I guess I was vague in what I wanted. "Ebenezer means, literally, "Stone of help". But we'll call it good.

As for the unofficial question, the baptism was derived from the Jewish custom of tevilah where a convert to Judaism is completely immersed in a kosher mikveh. The point of the tevilah was to symbolize the person's total immersion into, and dedication to, the Jewish religion, entering the water a Gentile, and rising out as a Jew.  The symbolism is very similar to Christian Baptism, a symbol of the act of Christ as He died on the cross, and our joining with the local body. Both are a public profession of faith, though of course, John's baptism was a public profession of repentance.

So, Alan, you're up!

• Members

Ukelemelemike,

Thank you for the teaching us the Jewish custom, tevilah, of baptizing, by immersion, a Gentile convert to Judism.

Next question. Who smote Paul on the mouth for his testimony?

• Members

The high priest Ananias commanded whoever was standing near Paul to smite him on the mouth. 

Acts 23:1-2  1. And Paul, earnestly beholding the council, said, Men and brethren, I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day. 2. And the high priest Ananias commanded them that stood by him to smite him on the mouth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

King David, Psalm 95:8, "Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation  in the wilderness."

But, technically, the Holy Ghost, "Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To-day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness." Hebrews 3:7 & 8 The writer of Hebrews quoted this verse from Psalm 95:8

• Members

Very good Alan.  I figured this would be a tough one since many people have a problem ascribing a "voice" or personality to the Holy Ghost and therefore it never dawns on them that the Holy Ghost could ever say something.

Your turn with a tough one.