• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

• Members

To answer the question, we need to study Jesus' warnings to the Jews, particularly during his last week; his Olivet prophecy; Paul's experience in Thessalonica & with the Thessalonian Jews; his teaching about the coming of Jesus in 1 & 2 Thessalonians, & his teaching about God's judgement on the Jews who persecute Christians in 1 Thes. 2. 

What did the Thessalonians know that we are asking questions about? 

• Members

​A lie is singular, so it could be 'the lie' that is the culmination of God giving them over to it.

​I checked in Unger's; in Barnes; in Strongs no form specified but "of perverse, impious, deceitful precepts".   So it appears this use could be singular or plural, or at least that's the sense from the references above. If it were a singular form then I would have to say almost the exact same thing I said before but, in a singular sense: 

"Anything [The thing] spoken in opposition to God's truth causing person or persons to reject Jesus Christ as Lord."

ISBE seems to agree with this latter singular form as in 1 John 2:22.

What reference did you use to understand the form as singular?

• Members

​I checked in Unger's; in Barnes; in Strongs no form specified but "of perverse, impious, deceitful precepts".   So it appears this use could be singular or plural, or at least that's the sense from the references above. If it were a singular form then I would have to say almost the exact same thing I said before but, in a singular sense: 

ISBE seems to agree with this latter singular form as in 1 John 2:22.

What reference did you use to understand the form as singular?

​Uh...the verse? "...that they should believe a lie."

It doesn't say that they would believe "lies", which would mean more than one, i.e. plural.

I don't see how 'looking up' the word in some book can tell more than the text here.

• Members

So...what's the lie?

​The quick answer is that it is the great false gospel that Paul also opposed in Galatians & is warned against in Hebrews. That salvation is still obtained under the Old Covenant by keeping the temple-centred Mosaic Law, & that the New Covenant by the blood of Jesus is an unholy thing. See Hebrews 10.

To answer the question, we need to study Jesus' warnings to the Jews, particularly during his last week; his Olivet prophecy; Paul's experience in Thessalonica & with the Thessalonian Jews; his teaching about the coming of Jesus in 1 & 2 Thessalonians, & his teaching about God's judgement on the Jews who persecute Christians in 1 Thes. 2. 

What did the Thessalonians know that we are asking questions about? 

Paul always went first to the synagogue, where there was one, as in Thessalonica. Acts 17:1-13 Some of the Jews believed, but the unbelievers stirred up trouble, there & in Berea. God was calling the Jews in exile, according to Lev. 26:44-45 Eze. 37:21 Note however, 1 The. 2:14-16 

The Jewish authorities in Jerusalem continued to oppose Jesus & the Gospel, despite the preaching in their midst. They refused to believe the truth about their Messiah. 1 The. 2:13 

Temple worship continued until the temple was destroyed according to Jesus' Olivet prophecy, before the generation that rejected its Messiah had passed. That great prophecy still had about 20 years to run when Paul wrote to the Thessalonians and THAT prophecy had to be fulfilled before Jesus' coming for resurrection & judgement - the subject of his teaching in 1 Thessalonians & 2 Thes. 1. That is the significance of 2 The. 2:3 Jesus' destruction prophecy is the next item on God's agenda. Hebrews stresses the urgency of repentance TODAY. Trusting in Moses & the Law is rejection of Christ & the Gospel. The final warning according to Moses, Deu. 18:18-19 repeated by Peter, Acts 3:22-23 would certainly happen before Jesus returned.

So what does Paul mean by the brightness of his coming? Jesus warned the Jewish leaders he will come and destroy the husbandmen, and will give the vineyard unto others. Mark 12:9 Jesus' coming would be evident by the fulfilment of that prophecy. Paul has already made it clear that the events he prophesies in 2 Thes. 2 are NOT the final coming for resurrection & judgement, but something that must happen first. Hebrews stresses the removing of those things that are shaken. Heb. 12:27   

Note: The KJV translates Strongs G2015 in the following manner: appearing (5x), brightness (1x). 

Sadly the Jewish leaders continued to reject Christ & the New Covenant Gospel. They rejected God's Word by his Son, Heb. 1:1-3 and they would not escape. Heb. 2:1-4 They preferred to believe a lie, & perished. 

• Members

​Uh...the verse? "...that they should believe a lie."

It doesn't say that they would believe "lies", which would mean more than one, i.e. plural.

I don't see how 'looking up' the word in some book can tell more than the text here.

You want a response in kind, no sir, as much as the flesh would like to, I won't. I'll just wait on the Lord for the answer. Possibly you would consider "the sin" in Hebrews 12:1 and compare-contrast it with "a lie" from the verse you mention in Thessalonians. 

• Members
Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped;
so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. 
2 Thessalonians 2:4
The false-Christ will be worshipped as God.  This will bring God's judgment of the inhabitants of the earth.

And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth,
and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan
with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish;
because they received not the love of the truth [that Jesus died for their sins], that they might be saved. 
2 Thessalonians 2:8-10                       

• Members
Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped;
so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. 
The false-Christ will be worshipped as God.  This will bring God's judgment of the inhabitants of the earth.

And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth,
and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan
with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish;
because they received not the love of the truth [that Jesus died for their sins], that they might be saved. 
2 Thessalonians 2:8-10                       

​The false christ, the pope as Vicar of Christ is already worshiped as God.

• Members

You want a response in kind, no sir, as much as the flesh would like to, I won't. I'll just wait on the Lord for the answer. Possibly you would consider "the sin" in Hebrews 12:1 and compare-contrast it with "a lie" from the verse you mention in Thessalonians. 

​You sound upset? I am not trying to aggravate your 'flesh'.

What do you mean "a response in kind"?

I answered your questioning of my belief in "a lie" being singular. And it makes sense, to me anyway.

Your question: "What reference did you use to understand the form as singular?"

I am sorry. I meant no harm, just being direct and responding to, what seemed to me, 'a silly question'.

As for the Hebrews 12:1 verse, it too is a singular word "sin", according to the verse.

Think about it - "and the sin which doth so easily beset us" - no where in this verse does it refer to the plural sense (for the word sin).

The phrase "the sin" is talking about the sin nature that is placed in front of us, it is not speaking of a specific sin but the specific 'nature' of sin, and that is singular.

And we all happen to have it.