• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mushrooms

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

We had mushrooms growing at the first place we lived...behind the toilet in the bathroom. :o Needless to say we didn't eat them.

I'm not a big fan of mushrooms, although I do like to use cream of mushroom soup in a few recipes. I found a recipe for homemade cream of mushroom that I'm going to make some day.

My hubs likes them fried in butter with onions. He'll eat them with or without meat. He also likes them sometimes on steak sandwiches and on pizza.  Or raw in salads. And he loves stuffed mushrooms. 

Certain mushrooms - shittake, mittake and a couple others - are very good for us. There seems to be some cancer-fighting properties in them. So I get my mushroom needs via my multi vitamin every day. That way I benefit from them without having to eat them.  :clap: 

• 2 months later...
  • Members

truffles.jpg

Mmmmmm...Oregon Truffles!  Somewhat bland taste but their aroma is heavenly!  You smell them and you become willing to do whatever you have to do to have them.  Truffles are the culinary equivalent of sex.  Most women describe the aroma of fresh truffles and truffle oil as earthy and very sensual.  Which is why they are extremely popular with gourmet restaurants who will pay up to $200 a pound for them, its not the taste they are after, its the aroma!  They grow only at the base of fir trees and living in Douglas County Oregon, home and namesake for Douglas Fir Trees, they are fairly easy to find especially if you watch squirrels who will tell you exactly where they are.  That was yesterdays harvest.  Those are "white ones" which grow in younger fir forests and only go for $100 a lbs.  The black truffles are old growth forests only and much harder to find and rarer. I could cheat and buy a dog trained to sniff them out, but that spoils the fun/hobby of the hunt through gorgeous forests and the exhilaration of finding a clutch of them. 

Bro. Garry

Edited by 2bLikeJesus