• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Pastor's Week.

• Members

Funeral is Friday afternoon - Thursday night sometime for most of you. Right now it is Thursday early evening here, 5.30.

I am trying to get the program finished and printed, the building rearranged,  and two messages prepared (Graveside and memorial), have to buy a new suit tonight - I don't actually own a matching jacket and pants anymore - and I am still tuckered from hospital visits.

And the first lady who has been operated on for cancer, now has to have more tests because they are not sure if she is safe yet.

Fourth week of all this - I have never had such a pressure filled stretch. And as always Sunday keeps rolling closer. I am thankful for this series I am running through - this would be ten times worse if I also had to decide each week on where I am preaching. This way it is decided - although I always try to be aware of the Lord's leading and not be a slave to the program.

I have had opportunity to speak to several people because of these events though.

• Administrators

Thanks for the update Dave, sometimes it can seem unbearable, but..... 1Cor. 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Cheer up brother and rejoice that God has counted you worthy to bear these things. Many thousands never have the opportunity to be able to serve in this capacity.

• Members

May God richly bless you Dave. I am sure that the words of comfort given at the funeral will mean more to the people than, sometimes, throughout the week.

Solomon wisely stated, "It is better to go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of feasting: for that is the end of all men; and the living will lay it to his heart." Ecclesiastes 7:2

• Members

Well, the funeral went well generally, with more people than expected, and I think the Gospel presentation was both gentle and clear. It is hard to walk that line of not causing offense and driving people away while still being clear and sensitive to the occasion.

But between the (private) burial and the memorial service I got a phone call from the daughter of the elderly man in hospital - the doctors have said it will be days at most. So after the funeral, I went down and spent two hours with him and his daughter.

Looks like another busy couple of weeks.

Thanks for those verses folks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hospital visits continue.

Two days ago was the funeral of our elderly friend - I didn't do that one, but was there for the family of course. 

The second of our ladies with cancer had her operation yesterday, so today I visited with her. The op went well. The doctors are very confident. 10 days recovery for her.

The first of our ladies has her first tests since her op next week. Waiting.....

The lady who went in for an overnight stay which turned into two weeks is at home - visited with her this afternoon.  She goes back next week for a follow up procedure. 

And after that I took my wife out for a cheap dinner and a sit down at the beach to watch the stars.

The stress and busyness continues but God is ever good.

• Moderators

God bless you in that work, Dave.

Question: do you have deacons or other elders in the church that could help take some of the stress off of you? That's a deacon's purpose, to take some extra duties off the pastor, so he can keep in prayer and the study of God's word. NOw, we are a very small church when I pastor, and with so few, I don't get a lot of calls to do things. An occasional call for a hospital visit or a rided somewhere, a Bible study or two, but not much else. So I'm not in need, but sounds like you might have a legitimate need for it. I think too many pastors fade out due to overworking themselves, when the Bible has told us how not to have that happen.

God bless. And get some sleep.

• Members

We are a small church so, at this time we don't have deacons.

This is an unusual stretch for us. We have gone years with only the occasional hospital visit etc.

I do have some faithful men who act as deacons without the title.