• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

New From North Carolina

• Members

I am a new member. I was an Independent Baptist for many years. Very involved, bus ministry, proper dress, teacher. Now, the church has become so legalistic I had to write a book on my experiences. Breaking the Bondage from Independent Baptist, Phil COBle. Amazon. If you would like to discuss this in the future you can send me a reply. I would like to be convinced that I am wrong. In my book I explain my prOBlems. I know this, I am saved!

I am free in Christ. 

Edited by pcoble1

• Administrators

Well Phil, speaking for myself I will not buy your book. You sound like someone who has an axe to grind. I seriousely doubt that you have the qualifications to paint all Independent Baptists with such a broad brush. You write like you think Independent Baptist is a denomination or association and all operate in the same manner.

The title of your book speaks volumes regarding your bitterness and anger, which has no place in the life of a Christian. I would suggest that a better avenue would be to take your prOBlem to the Lord, rather than sowing discord among those you once called brother.

• Members

If a person is saved he is free in Christ in any environment. Such as; jail, a legalistic Baptist Church, a Roman Catholic Church, a Mormon Temple or a Buddhist Monastery.

I started to attend an Independent Baptist Church years ago and it was one of the best spiritual decisions the Lord ever led me to make. The worst legalistic independent Baptist Chruch is far, far better than any denominational church or any other type of chuch in this Laodicean Age.

The Apostle Paul was free in every jail cell he ever sat in.

• Members

If a person is saved he is free in Christ in any environment. Such as; jail, a legalistic Baptist Church, a Roman Catholic Church, a Mormon Temple or a Buddhist Monastery.

I started to attend an Independent Baptist Church years ago and it was one of the best spiritual decisions the Lord ever led me to make. The worst legalistic independent Baptist Chruch is far, far better than any denominational church or any other type of chuch in this Laodicean Age.

The Apostle Paul was free in every jail cell he ever sat in.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the worst legalistic IFB church is better than all other non-IFB churches. There are a few IFB churches which are virtually all legalistic, all about outward appearance and conformity, with very little or not grace, no transformation of heart and mind, no growth in holiness, where the congregation is often stern and self-righteous. Such isn't a good place to be.

At the same time, there are scattered about some good independent churches, which are scripturally sound, preaching biblical salvation and pursuit of holiness.

There are even a few denominational churches that would be better to attend than an extremely legalistic church of any name.

Back in the 90s myself and two other men left an IFB church after a new pastor came in and took the church on a hard left turn. We attempted to speak with the pastor about the matters, at which point he would "listen" dismissively (even rolling his eyes a couple times) and then proceeded to tell us he was taking the church in that leftward way and those who didn't like it could leave.

After visiting several other churches we settled upon a denominational church with a very old pastor who only preached the Word, nothing of a denominational nature, and also held a very good men's Bible study. We were only there for about three months before we each moved away and were able to find a good IFB church at our new locations.

Sadly, there are several IFB churches in this general area now which are no longer worth attending. What has plagued other churches has now infected a growing number of IFB churches. I pray for those which have gone astray and praise God for those holding true to His Word. It's so important to pray for our pastors!

• Members

I am a new member. I was an Independent Baptist for many years. Very involved, bus ministry, proper dress, teacher. Now, the church has become so legalistic I had to write a book on my experiences. Breaking the Bondage from Independent Baptist, Phil COBle. Amazon. If you would like to discuss this in the future you can send me a reply. I would like to be convinced that I am wrong. In my book I explain my prOBlems. I know this, I am saved!

I am free in Christ. 

I read what Amazon had for a sample.

I see from it that you state there are 'real' IFB, and one's 'claiming' to be.

That has always existed.

So what is new in your thinking?

Liberality, the bad kind, has always been around. That doesn't mean

you can't be wise enough to find a good one.

If looking for an independent Baptist form of teaching and preaching, what

in your opinion constitutes a 'freedom' type of Baptist church?

Are you saying some Baptists teach other modes of salvation?

I am curious if you found that your 'type' of church is weak on

what actually saves you. As I have experienced, when you get

out of the 'independent' Baptists that deny 'clean living', you get

into one's that are accepting of false teachings relating to 'how'

one really 'incorporates' a 'new spirit' into an 'old lifestyle'.

To be specific, baptism.

Most so-called 'independent' churches that deny the

Baptist name, really lean toward baptismal regeneration. you know,

getting your sins washed away in the water of baptism.

Do they or you have a perverted view of, as example, Mark 16:16, Acts 2:37, 22:16, and 1 Peter 3:21?

• Members

I understand everyone's point. Except for what Alan posted. Really, a legalistic church is better than what? I am not angry. I am just putting my personal story out there. I realize there are good IBC in America. In my location, most of them are what I spoke about. It is very dangerous to ignore the prOBlems. I believe in the Baptist doctrine. I believe more in the Word of God. I do use the KJV, I believe in reaching others and sowing the seed. I am not convinced that I must wear a tie and never miss a church service. If I did in every IBC I ever was a part of, guilt was poured out like water. I am not advertising my book. I am not making any money on it. I just want people to be informed. 

On another note, If you are angry, feel like your way is the only way, you fall into the category I was speaking of.

Are you saying some Baptists teach other modes of salvation? Yes to that question. Saved by grace, going to Heaven, but work or have guilt preached to you. That is what I have experienced. If you don't like what has happened in the Independent Baptist Church, change it. Help others realize that their are good church's. Where I am at, not so much. North Carolina

• Members

I understand everyone's point. Except for what Alan posted. Really, a legalistic church is better than what? I am not angry. I am just putting my personal story out there. I realize there are good IBC in America. In my location, most of them are what I spoke about. It is very dangerous to ignore the prOBlems. I believe in the Baptist doctrine. I believe more in the Word of God. I do use the KJV, I believe in reaching others and sowing the seed. I am not convinced that I must wear a tie and never miss a church service. If I did in every IBC I ever was a part of, guilt was poured out like water. I am not advertising my book. I am not making any money on it. I just want people to be informed. 

On another note, If you are angry, feel like your way is the only way, you fall into the category I was speaking of.

Are you saying some Baptists teach other modes of salvation? Yes to that question. Saved by grace, going to Heaven, but work or have guilt preached to you. That is what I have experienced. If you don't like what has happened in the Independent Baptist Church, change it. Help others realize that their are good church's. Where I am at, not so much. North Carolina

You raise some good points which do need to be addressed in some churches. This is a better worded post than your first one as you at least acknowledge there are some good churches out there.

In this area, the IFB churches which have gone a bad direction have gone the way of liberalism rather than legalism. Still, just as one can't give the impression that all, or even most IFB churches are liberal, one can't rightly do the same with regards to the issue of legalism.

Our pastor did recently address the prOBlem of a few certain churches which say they believe in salvation by grace through faith but in practice it appears more works based. They continually tell others if they are not keeping certain rules or laws that must mean they aren't saved. One church even claimed any man wearing a colored shirt (non-white) to church was in sin. They went so far as to have several white shirts available so if any man did enter their church wearing a non-white shirt they could tell them they had to change shirts during their time there or leave.

I fully agree we need to address whatever prOBlems our church may have. Sometimes it's good to sound a warning about particular churches. However, we have to be careful not to condemn a whole set of churches, or members of such churches based upon what some do wrong.

I've been in and seen some churches take bad turns. I've attempted, in the churches I was attending at the time, to shine light upon the prOBlem with the aim of good correction.

Praise God, even when churches have gone bad, the Lord has always guided me to a good church home.

It's so important that we pray for our pastors, church leaders, the members and congregation. The world and the devil are eager to destroy our churches and we must be on guard and prayed up against such.

• Members

John, you are pretty much right. You have expressed what I may have had a hard time doing. I want folks to open their eyes. I have been hurt so much by the legalistic church that I felt folks needed to hear my story to be aware of what is out there. Thanks for your comment.

• Members

If you re-read my post I hope that you notice that it was not all inclusive, nor was it a doctrinal thesis, just a reminider that so many folks poke fun of Independent Baptist churches that it get ludicrous. so, I was being somewhat facetious.

OBviously I do not know exactly what PcOBle 1 has a prOBlem with but I do know that  a lot of times when a person does not like a preacher preaching against sin he calls the preacher, and church, "legalistic," "non loving," "Pharissic,"  etc.... you catch my drift? 

I have no intention in buying, or reading, a book that details an individuals hatred towards any church.

• Members

Legalistic is the word used to battle convictions. There is nothing wrong with the word legalism. If you're on the right side of legalism then you have what we call standards. Usage of the word legalism today is nothing more than a rebellious spirit. If you would submit yourself biblically then it's more understandable. Don't let the flesh ruin other peoples set of standards. 

• Members

Legalism can have serious ramifications and/or consequences. If a Church has set standards that they insist God requires, then they need Scripture to prove that God does indeed require it. If Scripture does not suppore a standard that the pastor says "God requires", then that is a
Pharisaical form of legalism. That type of legalism is unhealthy and unproductive.

• Members
This reminds me of something in the Bible

Luke 15:29 And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:

His daddy had to go out and baby talk him.