• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Obey The Law Of The Land In Which You Live

• Members

I wrote the following article on my blog back on the twentieth of this month after I was asked why 9 of the 10 commandments were "carried over into the New Testament...

My answer to the seeming “carry-over” into the New Testament of nine of the original ten commandments written in the Old:

I call this “OBey the Law of the Land in Which You Live”

The Word of God assures us that we do not have to keep the Mosaic Law. (this would include the original 10 Commandments written by the finger of God, along with the remaining 603 Commandments given to Moses for the children of Israel at a later date) It was for Israel alone. (see Psalm 147:19-20 )

While some things in the Law seem to be repeated in the Pauline epistles, that does not mean we are to keep the Mosaic Law. That which is written in the epistles is in a completely different jurisdiction.

Let me give you an example. I was born in Tripoli, Libya, North Africa. There were laws there that my parents had to OBserve. When mother moved after my dad’s death, the laws of Tripoli did not follow her. We moved to an entirely new jurisdiction. If I stole something here, I would not be tried by the laws of Tripoli. I would, instead, be charged under the laws governing the geographical location in which I live.

Now, as long as I remain where I am, I will not be required to live by the Laws of Tripoli. However, if I should happen to move back to Tripoli, I will be subject to the laws of that geographical location. I will be in that jurisdiction.

It is the same regarding those ordinances of the Old Testament. If I choose to abide in the House of the Law, I am subject to, not just any law I choose to my liking, but to all the laws set forth for the residents thereof. If i choose to OBey the command not to cut the corners of my beard, I must OBey all other commands legislated for the citizens of that jurisdiction. This would include animal sacrifices, stoning of disOBedient children, not wearing garments that have two different fabrics in the weave, a battlement on my roof, etc..

James said in Acts 21 that there is no command given for Gentiles to keep the Mosaic Law. Paul said in Romans 4 that we are not under the Law, but under Grace.

Paul further said in Romans 7 that it is comparable to adultery to go to the house of the Law when one is married to Jesus Christ. (the Bible identifies the Church, that’s us, as the Bride of Christ) Galatians 3 states that it is foolish to subject ourselves to the Mosaic Law. In 1 Timothy 1, the Mosaic Law is not for the righteous.

Over and over, in more than the above examples, we are shown that we are not to go under that old system. Best to focus on Christ, and His finished Work and leave the Law for those who oppose Christ. The Law will be their judge, for they choose to live under its jurisdiction instead of under the merciful Grace of the Redeemer.

In conclusion, it is not that the 9 commands were carried over, they were not.  New Laws for a new jurisdiction were legislated.

• Members

I have found in my Christian walk, that when God 'commanded' men, at that time Abraham and then his descendants, it was for their own good, not just for OBedience.

Every 'command' had an outcome. Those outcomes were 'negative'. And the Lord wants what is best for us, at all times, and in all situations.

So, if God says to not covet, it is for the best, for us.

As well, all the 10 commandments.

Even keeping the Sabbath! (Men wear out if they don't take a break, and the Lord knows that.)

So, if you look at the 'commands' of the Lord in a positive light and not as a 'condemning' darkness,

it becomes guidance and not a 'law'.

WE don't "have-to" keep the commandments, it is just common sense from God's perspective, for our welfare and happiness

to train ourselves not to follow 'sin'.

As for the 603(?) others? I believe there are wisdom in those also.

Now as for sacrificing? Jesus Christ 'fulfilled' the need there, and those are senseless now.

• Members

Brethren,

It an blessing as a Christian, in not being, "under the Law," as the Law is our schoolmaster to show us  our need for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, Galatians 3:24. The Law was also given to condemn the unrighteous man, 1 Timothy 1:9-10, and not for the righteous man.

Also, may  we remind ourselves in this morally perverted nation, perverted Laodician churches, perverted bibles, that the Law is the most perfect set of moral standards the world has ever seen. Most people hate the Law because it condems the sins of their flesh and spirit.  

We need remember what Paul the Apostle further taught. "But we know that the Law is good, if a man use it lawfully." 1 Timothy 1:8 Most people do not know how to rightfully use the Law. If a preacher "rightfully" uses the Law of God it will bring sinners to Christ.

During the Tribulation Period. For those brethren who do not believe in a literal Tribulation Period and in the literal 1000 year of Christ as clearly  taught in Revelation 20:4-6 I am afraid the following will not set well with you. Please bear me out. In fact, maybe if you started to believe the Bible instead of your denomination, or teachers, you would believe in the correct doctrine of the literal coming reign of our Saviour.

The Two Witnesses in Revelation 11 will be proclaiming salvation by grace through the finished work  of Christ and will exalt the Law of God during their ministry. One of the fruits of their teaching is recorded in Revelation 12:17, "And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Any time you preach and teach the whole Bible, the Old and New Testament, you will incur the wrath of the devil.

For those who spiritualize this verse, or regulate it back in the early days of the church, I personally feel sorry for you and it my sincere desire for you to learn from this lesson 

The, dragon," is the anti-Christ or Satan incarnate. The, "woman," is the literal nation of Isreal. The, "remnant of her seed," is saved Jewish believers."  The, "commandments of God," is the Old Testament Law. The, "testimony of Jesus Christ," is the testimony of the saved remnant. The Jewish believers in the Tribulation Period are saved through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, not by any works of the Law. The Two Witnesses preached the Law of God to them and they realized their need of the Saviour and got saved. After they got saved they realized that the Law of God is GOOD AND  HOLY.

Did these Jewish believers get saved through keeping the Law? No.

Did these Jewish believers stay saved through keeping the Law? No.

Did these Jewish believers keep the Law through intimidation, coercion, etc...? No.

Did these Jewish believers keep the Law like a ceremony that has no meaning? No. 

Did these Jewish belivers keep the whole Law? No.

Do you think these Jewish believers believe they could keep the whole Law? No.

Did these Jewish believers, like the Galatians, try to justify themselves by circumcism, and other rites for salvation? No. 

Did these Jewish believers mix Law and Grace for justification? No. The Law condemned them like every other lost sinner throughout the ages.

The Jewish believers realized that the Law, especialy the moral Law, including the sacrifices, told them of the saving grace of the Mesiah, the Lord Jesus Christ. Our coming KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

These Jewish believers willingly OBeyed  the commandments of God.

"If his offering be a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish [ a type of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ as will be preached by the Two Winesses]: he shall offer it of his own free will [ a little reminder from God for the Calvinist and the Covenant brethren] at the door of the tabernacle of the congregration before the LORD." Leviticus 1:3

The Two Witnesses knew the reason for the Law and were filled the Holy Spirit of the Living God so they could, "rightly divide," the Law and its useage.

May God bless His perfect and Holy Word.

Regards,

AlanTaiwan

• Members

If you submit to one of the commandments, you must submit to all... Even the sacrifices... Or be cursed according to Galatians 3:10

Law and Grace don't mix.

In my last post, I didn't mean we had to "KEEP" anything.

It is wrong to murder.

It is wrong to commit adultery.

It is wrong to steal.

It is wrong to worship anything other than the Lord.

It is wrong to bear false witness, lying.

Etc.,...

Don't know why people tend to focus on the idea that people have or had to "KEEP" anything.

With someone, whether New Testament or Old Testament, a belief with all your heart

in the Lord, is not a - "HAVE TO KEEP" anything - type of 'religion'. It never was!

Gods way of living here on earth has never changed. He wants us to believe in him with all our 

heart, mind, strength and will. Not be rOBots, like some think Israel was in the OT days.

The OT believers never 'kept' the Law.

They just OBeyed the Lord out of love for him.

Only the one's looking to justify themselves tried to 'keep the law', because there was no real love for the Lord in them.

• Members

If you submit to one of the commandments, you must submit to all... Even the sacrifices... Or be cursed according to Galatians 3:10

Law and Grace don't mix.

With respect to you, the word of God cannot be against itself.

Jesus did say:

"Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so,

he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them,

the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

And this is not about doing the Law for salvation.

It is about living.

• Members

It is OBvious to me a contrary thought about the "law" not being

a thing the Gentiles were 'to do', (the 10 commandments I mean.)

It is ingrained in everyone to do something. Paul taught it to the Gentiles in Ephesians.

Look:

Ephesians 3 -

1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,

2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,

4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

OBviously speaking to the Gentiles here.

He then goes on to 'teach' some of the 10 commandments.

Ephesians 4 says -

20 But ye have not so learned Christ;

21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; (Ex. 20:17)

23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; (Ex. 20:10)

24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. (Ex. 20:7)

25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another. (Ex. 20:16)

26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: (Ex. 20:10,11)

27 Neither give place to the devil. (Ex. 20:3)

28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth. (Ex. 20:15)

29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. (Ex. 20:16)

30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. (Ex. 20:4,5)

31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: (Ex. 20:16)

32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. (Ex. 20:12)

Plenty of '10 commandment' style teaching here.

And to Gentile believers!

Romans 2 says -

13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

It is natural to somewhat follow the commands of God, for their is wisdom and blessings of life in them.

But not for salvation.

• Members

Psalm 147:19-20 (a)

Acts 21:23-25

Ok? I don't see any prOBlem here at all.

(a) These are past tense, and they know them now. I know God didn't go to the Gentile nations to show himself and his will to.

So Israel fulfilled God's will in their existence and spread the Old Testament 'gospel', of which Jesus Christ is the fulfillment.

I won't pretend to understand all of this section concerning why they told Paul to do this, but as touching the part about

the Gentiles - it is still wrong to lie, steal, do adultery, overwork yourself, worship other gods, etc., so whats the big whip?

There is balance in this. You just don't have eyes to see and ears to hear, for some reason.

Archived