Online Baptist Community

Do You Believe That Divorce And Remarriage Is Acceptable ?

think again

• Moderators

do you believe that murder is acceptably? they are together in James 2 all can be forgiven but does that make it right or acceptable?

Matt 19:9

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

1Cor 7:10-15

And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.  But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

Clearly divorce is not an ideal thing, nor does the Bible 'endorse" divorce, nor do I. But let the Bible speak for itself. There are acceptable reasons given for divorce and remarriage. This doesn't mean we should look for reasons, it just means that yes, for your answer, the Bible, both Jesus and Paul, does give reasons for divorce.

And of course, in its morst cases, it is a sin like other sins, and while we should eschew sin, if we do sin, we are forgiven for our sin. Does this mean that we pile sin on sin by divorcing the second married spouse? No, God can bless even that. After all, God sanctified the marriage between David and Bathsheba, even though it was born in great sin, because it is through that line that Jesus Christ was born, through Solomon's line. Again, it doesn't mean go ahead and sin, because it's not ideal, not right, and often, as in the case with David, though he was forgiven and the marriage sanctified, much harm was done both in David's family and rule, but also it gave the enemy the opportunity to speak much evil of God and His people.

So, if you have divorced and remarried, it is a sin also to divorce your current wife, unless for the reasons given in scripture, just as it might have been in the first, so we don't "fix" sin by sinning again, we do it by giving it to Christ  in confession, and then moving on from where you are and seeking God's blessing upon it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Acceptable vs. Forgiven

Which sin is “acceptable?” I believe in the one and done principle of God’s word.

One sin is no greater than another.

John 8:7   So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

1 John 1:8   If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Once forgiveness is imparted for a sin it’s done.

1 John 1:9   If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Psalms 103:12   As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Divorce is one sin. Divorced remarrying is one sin. Once forgiven it is done.

Satan loves to present past forgiven sin repeatedly to the Christian, hoping to discourage their ministry. Those who have divorced and remarried are already limited in their ministry within the church. Satan would have them completely marginalized in their desire to serve God.

We have been called to peace on this matter.

1 Corinthians 7:15   But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

Don’t condemn yourself for that which you allow.

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Acceptable vs. Forgiven

Which sin is “acceptable?” I believe in the one and done principle of God’s word.

John 8:7   So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

1 John 1:8   If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1 John 1:9   If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Psalms 103:12   As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Satan loves to present past forgiven sin repeatedly to the Christian, hoping to discourage their ministry. Those who have divorced and remarried are already limited in their ministry within the church. Satan would have them completely marginalized in their desire to serve God.

1 Corinthians 7:15   But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

Now that's good reading!

• Moderators

Acceptable vs. Forgiven

And yet I have shown that divorce and remarriage is not always sin, directly from scripture, but you say "divorce is one sin, remarriage is one sin."  Not always, according to scripture.

Malachi 2:16..........he hateth putting away.......

Matthew 5 31It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: 32But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

That means, if you find out that mom or dad is doing things that could bring a STD into the home or is molesting the children, or someone else's children, or  has announced that he/she

is "gay" or any other type of sexual perversion, it's a dangerous situation that God Himself (Jesus) doesn't expect a spouse to live in. Actually, according to the Law, those are already punishable by death. Any other  "irreconcilable differences" are not really "irreconcilable differences" and just need to be worked out.

• Moderators

Malachi 2:16..........he hateth putting away.......

Matthew 5 31It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: 32But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

That means, if you find out that mom or dad is doing things that could bring a STD into the home or is molesting the children, or someone else's children, or  has announced that he/she

is "gay" or any other type of sexual perversion, it's a dangerous situation that God Himself (Jesus) doesn't expect a spouse to live in. Actually, according to the Law, those are already punishable by death. Any other  "irreconcilable differences" are not really "irreconcilable differences" and just need to be worked out.

Yup.

In terms of being gay, if someone is struggling with same sex attraction in their mind and thought patterns, would it be good if they not got married?

And yet I have shown that divorce and remarriage is not always sin, directly from scripture, but you say "divorce is one sin, remarriage is one sin."  Not always, according to scripture.

I know those scriptures too and agree with them. However, just now, I thought of the "hardness of heart" and think this (hardness) is not God's will. So, I'm forgiven either way and it is humbling.

Personally I am convinced that divorce is acceptable if the conditions meet the Lord's very specific fornication criteria.

BIG however though on the issue of remarriage, I don't see the same "go ahead" with remarriage (in the below context from the Gospels)

Another issue to raise concerning this text: That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery. The reversed text dealing with the husband, reverses the roles in this scenario IMO.

Heartstrings explanation of this text is one possible interpretation but contextually this text could be interpreted in at least 3 ways without a clearly defined way to rule out any of the 3.

Could be the wife's fornication but I sincerely doubt it, I think that is the least likely of the 3. If it were her fornication she was already committing adultery so the last part of the text would then be irrelevant.

Could be the safety and health issue Heartstrings mentioned, but I have a measure of doubt on that one too since at the time STDs were present most likely but undiscovered, defined or realized by anyone as were pretty much all medical prOBlems.

Most likely IMO is that the fornication mentioned was committed by the husband in this scenario which explains why it is then acceptable for the divorced wife to remarry without committing adultery (wasn't any fault of hers). The whole trust and peace in marriage goes out the window when a dude gets caught, making his life misery in the flesh unless he does release her from the marriage.

So, "if" this is the most reasonable interpretation then this does not give the offending husband any go ahead in remarriage.

Now in the instructions to NT churches (you know, born again people who now have the Spirit abiding within them), particularly ICor 7 put all the hub bub about marrying into a real perscpective for us. IOW: it is basically a waste of time on earth to worry over it but since we are weak and can't live on our own apparently, God knows we will marry and divorce and marry and divorce and .....on marriage it does say that remarriage is not sin but trouble in the flesh and boy HOWDY is it.

• Members

so I read this a couple of days ago and it upset me so much that i decided to wait until I cooled off to reply. lol :coverlaugh:

Now in the instructions to NT churches (you know, born again people who now have the Spirit abiding within them), particularly ICor 7 put all the hub bub about marrying into a real perscpective for us. IOW: it is basically a waste of time on earth to worry over it but since we are weak and can't live on our own apparently, God knows we will marry and divorce and marry and divorce and .....on marriage it does say that remarriage is not sin but trouble in the flesh and boy HOWDY is it.

1 corinthains 7 is speaking of pauls opinion of what virgins should do it is speaking of a married or divorced person when it says it is ok to marry Jesus says in 3 of the Gospels that for a divorced person to remarry is adultery. do you think paul is saying it is not a sin to commit adultery?

, God knows we will marry and divorce and marry and divorce and .....on marriage it does say that remarriage is not sin but trouble in the flesh and boy HOWDY is it.

that is ridiculous God also knows that we will lie, steal ,and maybe even murder. but a Christians are not to do those thing cause Christ commanded us not to 1 john 2 says And hereby do we know that we know him, if we keep his commandments He that saith I know Him and keepeth not his commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him.

question; is it a sin to commit adultery? i know that God can(and will) forgive but Hebrews says For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

so I read this a couple of days ago and it upset me so much that i decided to wait until I cooled off to reply. lol :coverlaugh:

1 corinthains 7 is speaking of pauls opinion of what virgins should do it is speaking of a married or divorced person when it says it is ok to marry Jesus says in 3 of the Gospels that for a divorced person to remarry is adultery. do you think paul is saying it is not a sin to commit adultery?

that is ridiculous God also knows that we will lie, steal ,and maybe even murder. but a Christians are not to do those thing cause Christ commanded us not to 1 john 2 says And hereby do we know that we know him, if we keep his commandments He that saith I know Him and keepeth not his commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him.

question; is it a sin to commit adultery? i know that God can(and will) forgive but Hebrews says For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Only your personal indoctrination is ridiculous in this chapter friend. Read it again carefully for yourself without your judgmental notions and you will see it clearly. God addresses virgins, married and the divorced in this chapter; ie, everyone.

Verses 25-30 is the gist of what I am conveying. Marriage matters zero to the born again Christian in God's eyes. It is a distraction at best and holds the believer back from following Christ at the worst.
Whatever position you came to a saving knowledge in Christ was is what it should remain without the fleshly need to keep "improving" your lot in this physical life. If you came married stay, if you came divorced, stay; if you came a servant, be content in it: etc. Unfortunately most IFB churches place more emphasis on married couples/families than single which is definitely backwards from Scripture.

Your fixation on divorce makes little Scriptural sense, it tends to turn what could be a useful Christian for God into a bitter judge of your fellow Christians. Get over it and yourself and drive on for God.
Fornication is always sin, marriage is not but will cause trouble in the flesh. Our Lord in the Gospels was speaking to the Jews on divorce and refuting their hypocritical attempts to live by the law as He always did during His ministry on earth.

Hebrews says For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

If you are saved then you never commit sins of co-mission? By your interpretation their is no more willful sin from a Christian. So, fighting, arguing, and bitterness with a fellow Christian is not a sin of co-mission? So, teaching the law after salvation is not a sin of co-mission? Go read what Paul and Peter did. 

Yep, Jesus Christ is the only sacrifice for sin there will be no other sacrifice for our sins.

Are you walking as Christ walked?

Archived