• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do You Believe That Divorce And Remarriage Is Acceptable ?

• Members

(this may not be on the correct sub forum but i could not find any better one.)

I was wondering what most IFB believed when it came to the issue of divorce and remarriage.

I understand that there are hundreds of "circumstances" but it seems to me that the Bible makes it all very clear. However many of the baptist that i know like to ignore it. so how do you all on this forum beleive what do you think  mark 10 and the others mean

thanks for all the input 

Edited by think again

• Members
Mar 10:10 And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter. 11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. 12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Like all other aspects of life, we measure up short compared to God's standards. 

• Moderators

Does God, hence the Bible allow it? Yes.  Does He endorse it? No.

In the OT, of course, we know the Lord allowed divorce because of hard hearts, but it wasn't meant to be.

In the NT, we see many mentions of the subject

Matt 5:32 "But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery."

Matt 19:9 "And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery."

1Cor 7:15 "But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace."

Divorce is aceptable in cases of fornication, or sexual sin. Notice, it isn't for adultery, becausew adultery can be acted out in the heart, wile fornication is of the body,  We can't divorce because our spouse gave someone the googly eyes, and assume they are committing adultery in their heart-it must be actual physical sexual misconduct with another person.

Divorce is also allowed in cases of a believer being abandoned by an unbelieving spouse-it says they are not under bondage, which would tell me that the believer can remarry, whereas, before in the same chapter, when dealing with both spouses being believers who divorce, they can, but should remain unmarried, or reconcile with their spouse.

Now, again, having said this, the Bible is not pro-divorce, but it does allow it in certain cases, even in the New Testament. However even in such cases as fornication, it doesn't have to occur-it is better for spouses to reconcile and come into godly union with one another-this is to be far preferred, but if it can't be for some reason, then divorce is acceptabel, and in the case of fornication, I beleve the party who did NOT commit it, is free to re-marry.

• Members

Like all other aspects of life, we measure up short compared to God's standards. 

I am assuming that you condone remarriage because of Gods grace.

let me take it a step farther

should a christian continue to remain married to his/her second spouse while there first one is alive?

• Moderators

Two wrongs don't make a right. While I personally believe that a divorced person is not to remarry, the fact remains that God states that He 'hates divorce'. To divorce the second party would be to do what God hates - again.
The OT law states in Deuteronomy 24:1-4 that a woman was not to return to a former husband if divorced a second time - or even if the second husband dies. I understand that we are not under that law to OBey it precisely, but all Scripture is given for our use, and I believe we can glean useful principles thereout.

• Members

I am assuming that you condone remarriage because of Gods grace.

let me take it a step farther

should a christian continue to remain married to his/her second spouse while there first one is alive?

1 Corinthians 7:27 Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.

• Moderators

1 Corinthians 7:27 Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.

I agree that our minds ought to always be of this thinking: I am married, I am married for life. When I do weddings, I always try to stress that with the couple, but we have a world that sees divorce and remarriage as almost a natural right, so much so that pre-nups are almost mandatory anymore. When you go into a marriage almost assuming you'll get divorced, what chance do you have? Its the ever-present open door.  

• Members

May I add? - 27 Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.

28 But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned

• Members

Two wrongs don't make a right. While I personally believe that a divorced person is not to remarry, the fact remains that God states that He 'hates divorce'. To divorce the second party would be to do what God hates - again.
The OT law states in Deuteronomy 24:1-4 that a woman was not to return to a former husband if divorced a second time - or even if the second husband dies. I understand that we are not under that law to OBey it precisely, but all Scripture is given for our use, and I believe we can glean useful principles thereout.

so you believe that remarriage is not right (committing adultery).

is not living with your second spouse living in adultery? should we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid.

• Members

just throwing this out there not saying for sure this is right: but I have heard it taught that when you make a vow before God and to your spouse to be married for life then God sees that for life and He sees you as still married to you (first) wife even though you have a paper that claims diferently.

Do you believe that in Gods eyes you are still married?

• Moderators

so you believe that remarriage is not right (committing adultery).
is not living with your second spouse living in adultery? should we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid.

According to Deuteronomy, it's exactly what they should continue doing, therefore implying that the remarriage is a one-time sin, but once it's done, it's done. The remarried party is now - oops - married to the second dpouse, and it's certainly not adultery to live with one's spouse!

You know, this topic has been hashed and rehashed. You can search and find out what the other threads all said if you're interested. Why don't you try expanding your interest here to other subjects?

• Members
this verse would seem to imply that remarriage is not sin. It does not say, loose, as in never married. It says loosed, as in you were bound, but are now loosed.

I think the key is in the beginning of the verse... Seek not to be loosed. We should not look for excuses why our spouse is not for us. But, if divorce does happen, there is no sin in remarrying.

Any prOBlem in marriage can be faced without having to draw up divorce papers. However, not all people will omit divorce as an option if they feel their spouse scarred them mentally or physically. Hurt goes a long way... Especially if one is not willing to let the Lord be the One in control

• Moderators

just throwing this out there not saying for sure this is right: but I have heard it taught that when you make a vow before God and to your spouse to be married for life then God sees that for life and He sees you as still married to you (first) wife even though you have a paper that claims diferently.

Do you believe that in Gods eyes you are still married?

Let's hear from the mouth of Jesus what He thought.

"Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither. The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband: For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly."  John 4:16-18

Now, in Jesus own words, those five husbands of the woman at the well were NO LONGER her husbands. "thou HAST HAS five husbands..." She had no husband, and Jesus didn't even consider the guy she was apparently living with as her husband, either.

So what are we to take from this? We can insist it doesn't work into the subject, but nothing is in the BIble for no reason. Simply, in Jesus' eyes, this woman was no longer married to those fiver earlier husbands. He didn't say, 'Thou hast five husbands'. It was past-tense.

You seem to really be in pain over this subject and I understand-I suffered with it a lot after my wife left me for another man. But after a few years, and seeing her live with two different men as her husbands, and then taking a ring from one of them to want to marry him, I believed I had done all that was required of me, biblically, AND more, in trying, even after her fornication, to try to work things out, I agreed to a no-fault divorce, so there was no money changing hands, no child support, because we shared them back and forth, mostly as the kids wanted, because they were old enough to have a say, and no extended, hateful legal proceedings.  She has gone on to live a life embracing paganism and certain 'alternative lifestyles', and I believe that she was prOBably never saved in the first place, or she is at least acting like it, and I see that now as having been left by an unbelieving spouse, and so, through the fornication and unbeliving spirit of my first wife, I was free to remarry.

Understand, all things are under the blood. Even if I had left my wife for a you nger woman, dumper her unceremoniously, and remarried outside of God's will, I could still repent of my sin and be forgiven, its still under the blood, and, as was said earlier, to divorce the second is just to do wrong a second time. A second marriage can be sanctified the same as the first, if it is given up to Christ.

• Members

Let's hear from the mouth of Jesus what He thought.

"Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither. The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband: For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly."  John 4:16-18

Now, in Jesus own words, those five husbands of the woman at the well were NO LONGER her husbands. "thou HAST HAS five husbands..." She had no husband, and Jesus didn't even consider the guy she was apparently living with as her husband, either.

So what are we to take from this? We can insist it doesn't work into the subject, but nothing is in the BIble for no reason. Simply, in Jesus' eyes, this woman was no longer married to those fiver earlier husbands. He didn't say, 'Thou hast five husbands'. It was past-tense.

You seem to really be in pain over this subject and I understand-I suffered with it a lot after my wife left me for another man. But after a few years, and seeing her live with two different men as her husbands, and then taking a ring from one of them to want to marry him, I believed I had done all that was required of me, biblically, AND more, in trying, even after her fornication, to try to work things out, I agreed to a no-fault divorce, so there was no money changing hands, no child support, because we shared them back and forth, mostly as the kids wanted, because they were old enough to have a say, and no extended, hateful legal proceedings.  She has gone on to live a life embracing paganism and certain 'alternative lifestyles', and I believe that she was prOBably never saved in the first place, or she is at least acting like it, and I see that now as having been left by an unbelieving spouse, and so, through the fornication and unbeliving spirit of my first wife, I was free to remarry.

Understand, all things are under the blood. Even if I had left my wife for a you nger woman, dumper her unceremoniously, and remarried outside of God's will, I could still repent of my sin and be forgiven, its still under the blood, and, as was said earlier, to divorce the second is just to do wrong a second time. A second marriage can be sanctified the same as the first, if it is given up to Christ.

The common confusion over this subject is when believers attempt to apply the law and ordinances of the OT to their Christian lives or when they mix the law and ordinances with the instructions to born again believers in the Epistles. These laws are profitable for our admonition (acknowledgement and understanding) but not for our practice.

We have no more business applying the OT rules on marriage to our lives now than we have applying the OT rules on acceptable foods.

Everytime the Lord quoted the OT law and prophets in the Gospels it was to demonstrate to the religious leaders their utter and complete failure to abide by them and nothing more.

If our heart is right we will have no care for this earthly life.

• Members

Speaking on marriage and divorce, if an unsaved man and woman are living together, and they have children out of wedlock, and the man eventually becomes saved, but the woman does not, the question is what should the man do. If the man marries the woman, that would be being unequally yoked, and could lead to temptations to divorce in the future. If the man leaves the woman rather than getting married to her, what would he have to do with his children? Some people strangely believe in this situation the man should marry the woman, even though there is an unequal yoke.