• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Creation And The New Year

RSS Robot

• Members

“In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1)

It is appropriate for Christians to begin the New Year by referring back to the beginning of the very first year. The first verse of God’s Word is also its most important verse, since it is the foundation on which everything else is built. Even God’s great work of salvation is irr... More...FmgcH7Nri8k

View the full article

• Members

Also its time to start at the beginning for another year of daily Bible reading. This year I'm going to try and read the Scofield notes. I bought one of his study Bibles from an estate sale. Its brand new yet it was cheap like second hand. 

Scofield was only a man, whose one-volume commentary was, I understand, popularised by free distribution in the US Bible colleges. Read the notes critically - they are not  inspired. A number of students at my university used & quoted it. (1957-60) I bought Matthew Henry. 

I'd  be interested in your comments on Genesis 12 in reference to Exodus 19. 

• Members
The Fourth Dispensation: Promise. For Abraham, and his descendants it is evident that the Abrahamic Covenant (See Scofield "Genesis 15:18") made a great change. They became distinctively the heirs of promise. That covenant is wholly gracious and unconditional. The descendants of Abraham had but to abide in their own land to inherit every blessing. In Egypt they lost their blessings, but not their covenant. The Dispensation of Promise ended when Israel rashly accepted the law Exodus 19:8 . Grace had prepared a deliverer (Moses), provided a sacrifice for the guilty, and by divine power brought them out of bondage Exodus 19:4 but at Sinai they exchanged grace for law. The Dispensation of Promise extends from Genesis 12:1 to Exodus 19:8, and was exclusively Israelitish. The dispensation must be distinguished from the covenant. The former is a mode of testing; the latter is everlasting because unconditional. The law did not abrogate the Abrahamic Covenant Galatians 3:15-18 but was an intermediate disciplinary dealing "till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made" ; Galatians 3:19-29 ; 4:1-7 . Only the dispensation, as a testing of Israel, ended at the giving of the law.

See, for the other six dispensations: (See Scofield "Genesis 8:21") .

INNOCENCE ( Genesis 1:28 ) CONSCIENCE ( Genesis 3:23 ) HUMAN GOVERNMENT ( Genesis 8:21 ) LAW ( Exodus 19:8 ) GRACE ( John 1:17 ) KINGDOM ( Ephesians 1:10 )

For analysis and summary of the Abrahamic Covenant, (See Scofield "Genesis 15:18") .

Its confusing. He sees things I can't see. 

• Members

Its confusing. He sees things I can't see. 

Is that because he sees things that are not clearly revealed in Scripture; that he "sees" using an interpretation system that is alien to those who read the Bible without an imposed system? 

A critical point in his seeing is seeing dispensations throughout Scripture. Not only that, he is seeing in his different dispensations different ways of testing, by which I think he means ways of salvation? Ways of being acceptable with God? Neither the prophets, nor the NT writers teach such dispensations. They teach faith in God, living & active faith. Hebrews 11 shows no hint of dispensations, only, at the end of the chapter, the blessings of the new covenant that provides OT believers all that they hoped for under the old covenant. 

I find it absolutely extraordinary that a commentary that treats the wonderful promises of God expressed in Ex. 19 as "rash acceptance of the Law" should be widely accepted.

The Dispensation of Promise ended when Israel rashly accepted the law Exodus 19:8. Grace had prepared a deliverer (Moses), provided a sacrifice for the guilty, and by divine power brought them out of bondage Exodus 19:4 but at Sinai they exchanged grace for law.

Has he read Exo. 19? I'll quote it & Peter's quotation of it:

Exodus 19:And Moses went up unto God, and the Lord called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of JacOB, and tell the children of Israel;

Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself.

Now therefore, if ye will OBey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:

And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words which the Lord commanded him.

And all the people answered together, and said, All that the Lord hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the Lord.

1 Peter 2:But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not OBtained mercy, but now have OBtained mercy.

Does God offer a choice whether to accept the Law, or abide in the covenant, or even to abide in the promised land? There's no mention of law in the chapter. Note Exo. 19:5 And they're in Sinai, not the promised land. How does Scofield think the Israelites should have responded in Ex. 19? With a resounding positive response? Exo. 19:8 or ??????

You are absolutely right to be confused by Scofield. 

• Members

Ok...let's get back to the OP. It's not a discussion about Scofield...Thanks.

I quoted Morris's article in the Hebrews 3 thread: "As we come to Heb. 11, Henry Morris reminds that faith in our Creator is foundational."

I was brought to believe evolution as the method God had used, over the 6 age-days of Gen. 1. Once Darwinism had supposedly discredited the Genesis 1 account, Scofield was typical of those who tried to preserve the truth of the Scriptures by age-days &/or reading a vast gap between verses 1-2. Believing the Bible from the beginning was a major challenge to me, & I am still grateful for the assistant Pastor who taught Biblical creation. 

A few years later we entertained a visiting speaker from the "Evolution Protest Movement" who taught the gap theory. I found his tract recently. No. We can. we must believe God.

Heb. 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

For by it the elders OBtained a good report.

Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Another excellent article by Dr.Morris.

Whoever puts these articles on by Creation Science should be congratulated. As Covenanter brought out, the Gap Theory as taught by Scofield and others, is not biblical, scientific, or even logical.

Once a person truly believes the Bible as it is written the beauty of creation, and the plan of God, unfolds in a wonderful manner throughout the scriptures, science, history, and eternity. God is perfect in all of His works in the spiritual and physical realm.

Again, thank you for the excellent article on Genesis 1:1 and the new year.

AlanTaiwan

• Members

A couple of the reasons why most Independent Baptists like the Scofield Bible are: Scofield follows Bishop Usshers' chronology of the Bible, the dates found in the upper side column in each book is excellent, some of, not all, his notes on prophecy are also excellent, and most of his cross references in the center column are also trustwothy, and his maps found in the back are notewothy. 

Also, most of the other Reference Bibles notes and cross references reflect the author's denomination perference. Even most independent baptist do not agree with his

teaching on the Gap Theory, and some his notes, the Scofield Reference Bible is better than any one else's.

Archived