• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Any Chess Players?

Alan

• Members

allen 32,

Is there any way we can play chess online without going through a online chess club. I tried Yahoo but did not care for it and the others require paid memberships to play. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

• Members

I was a good chess player in college. I played on a team of 4 men which traveled to tournaments. I came to a point where I knew I would have to memorize many deep openings to get better. I was good and loved the game but decided that my time was needed in our family business and church so I gave it up when I was about 26 or 27 years old.

My long term memory has been filled with studying bible prophecy now. That will have eternal rewards.

I do credit playing chess with developing my brain and helping me through college.Keep playing it. It will help you too.

• Members

allen 32,

Is there any way we can play chess online without going through a online chess club. I tried Yahoo but did not care for it and the others require paid memberships to play. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

You could play by e-mail.

• Members

I'll open a thread - with a promise NOT to consult computers.

In my school days I played for the county (Hampshire) & opponents included British Championship contenders. Pressures of University, & then marriage & family left no time for chess.

My very last game, 30 years ago, for a London tournament was a shock for my opponent, but I had to withdraw from the tournament as my wife was unwell.  I was black:

1. P-K4,  P-K4

2. P-KB4, P-Q4

3. PxQP, P-K5

4. Kt-QB3, Kt-KB3

5. B-Kt5 ch, P-B3

6. PxP, PxP

7. B-R4, B-R3

8. KKt-K2, B-B4

9. Kt-Kt3, what was my winning move?

White resigns. 

• Members

I played chess in my teens and twenties for fun. I don't think I've played a game since then. Not that many people play chess. Many think chess is to hard to learn so they don't even try. Most who do play much chess are very serious about it.

• Members

I started learning chess when I was in the Army, as a way of learning tactics and strategies. I was never that good at it, but could hold my own with most of the guys in my company.

In the last 15 years, I've been slowly getting back into chess as a way of keeping the mind active and creative. Along with learning to play a new musical instrument and keeping (or trying to keep) a journal are great ways to keep your mind sharp and focused as we get older.

Lucky for me that there is a local chess club in my town, but I've only been able to meet with them twice.

I have a chess game on my phone that is good, helps me learn and can do lots more if I wanted it to, like see how I rank with other users and such, but for now, just a quick game now and then is good for me. Its called Chess Free, by A I Factory. I think they have a paid app, but I use the free one.

Also, I noticed 2 more threads about chess as I logged in, but this is the only one with comments. I'll have to look at the other threads later.

Dr. ROBerson

• Members

I knew a guy in the mid-80s which every time he played someone for the first time almost seemed as if he barely understood the game. He always lost the first game.

The second game he would play was almost like he was a different person. Most often he would win the second game but if he didn't it would be a real battle. By the third game it was difficult for whoever he was playing to beat him.

Somehow after playing one game with a person he gained some insight into how they played and was able to construct a game plan based upon that which would most often see him winning from the second or third game on.

It was really something to watch and he couldn't explain it himself.

• Members

I'll open a thread - with a promise NOT to consult computers.

In my school days I played for the county (Hampshire) & opponents included British Championship contenders. Pressures of University, & then marriage & family left no time for chess.

My very last game, 30 years ago, for a London tournament was a shock for my opponent, but I had to withdraw from the tournament as my wife was unwell.  I was black:

1. P-K4,  P-K4

2. P-KB4, P-Q4

3. PxQP, P-K5

4. Kt-QB3, Kt-KB3

5. B-Kt5 ch, P-B3

6. PxP, PxP

7. B-R4, B-R3

8. KKt-K2, B-B4

9. Kt-Kt3, what was my winning move?

White resigns. 

What was my winning move ?

Archived