• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Black Friday

Invicta

• Members

Our stores seem to have joined the BLACK FRIDAY bandwagon. On they news last night they shewed some stores having fights over TVs etc, including one Tesco.  I asked a member of staff at our Tesco if they had fights and he said no, it wasn't terribly busy, but as they are open 24 hours, they did have about 100 people turn up at midnight.

As for us we went to France for the day and went shopping in the AUCHAN Hypermarché, and what did they have when we got there? BLACK FRIDAY, and inside the store for DVDs they had BLACK WEEKEND.  They seem to have given up altogether on protecting the  French Language from encroaching Anglicisms. C'est la vie.

• Members

I saw a video of a fight in England on Black Friday.

Over hear they no longer wait until Black Friday, they being this mad rush on Thursday to the point our Thanksgiving Day is now also becoming known as Black Thursday. We also have "Black Monday" cyber sales.

Unfortunately, America is now a consumer driven nation. Our economy is more dependent upon spending and consuming than it is manufacturing and producing. Not a good thing at all.

• Members

We had it up here pretty strongly, too. So stupid, considering that we don't even celebrate thanksgiving in the same month.

Most here don't really celebrate Thanksgiving, they just look at it as a day off from work, an excuse to overeat, drink beer, watch football, gossip, go shopping.

• Members

why would anyone shop on thanksgiving day my wife and me do not shop at all thanksgiving day if everyone would do it they would close that day think about it. we live without i lot if staff you don't need. just spend time with family and friends  

• Members

why would anyone shop on thanksgiving day my wife and me do not shop at all thanksgiving day if everyone would do it they would close that day think about it. we live without i lot if staff you don't need. just spend time with family and friends  

Some recently went through four different statistical studies regarding Christians in America to try and come up with a more accurate idea of just how many born again Christians are in America. The results showed that approximately 8% of Americans are born again Christians.

That means of the rest of Americans who call themselves Christian, they are secular Christians, and what's left are non-Christians in any sense of the term. 

Is it any wonder that a nation with 92% of the population living for the devil that many of them want to go shopping on Thanksgiving? View the holiday as a secular time of gathering for feasting, beer, football and shopping? See preparing for Christmas only in terms of many presents and spending lots of money?

We spend Thanksgiving Day home together. I still lead our family in prayer before our meal. The next day we don't go shopping either.

• Members

I don't even think we really have "Black Friday" anymore.  The deals were coming in all week long, and then Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.  Most deals were online, so you didn't even have to go to the store unless you wanted one of a handful of doorbusters.  I didn't go this year because I didn't need anything that wasn't already online, and had nOBody to shop with anyway this time.

• Administrators

I, personally, think it's ridiculous to go shopping like that - so many people. Ugh!  But, honestly, I don't think we can use it as a litmus test as to whether someone's a Christian or not...or right with God, etc. Mayhap some of the shoppers are Christians who just want to save money?  That would fall under being a good steward...and it would fall under personal liberty that so many people talk about regarding other things... :icon_smile:

• Moderators

:goodpost: Yah, this. If I had needed any of those electronics for Christmas presents, I would certainly have taken advantage of the deals (preferably online - I hate crowds). If I'd had money, I might have bought myself a present or two, too. KitchenAid at $200.... sigh... :wink

• Members

Most of the deals this year were on video games and iPads.   We aren't really doing a lot of electronics this year....we have cut way back on the kids video games, and they are no longer allowed to have iPods due to some trouble those caused in our kids spiritually.  So this year most of the things I planned to buy did not really go on sale for Black Friday.  I did buy a few things this past weekend, but I've been sort of doing the Amazon.com thing over the past few weeks as I have the money.   There have been some great deals but nothing I really needed to get this year.

Archived