• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

...honour The King,

heartstrings

• Members

I have thought about the rebellion against Britain, and the way I see it, is that England wasn't ruling in America-all they were doing was collecting taxes and goods, while those here governed. England left off its responsibilities as rulers, and were treating America rather as a tributary that England had conquored in war, rather than as it's property. So, after a few hundred years, America declared that, since it was already running things, while not being allowed the fruit of its labor, it would be independent. And of course, EVERYTHING was done by war in the past. Did God encourage Israel to evil rebellion against 'rightful' rulers when He had them take Canaan? Was it rebellion for the Hebrews to leave Egypt to start their own nation? Rome came in, through force of arms, and took control of Israel, and even Jesus said they should pay tribute.

England, however, just decided America was theirs because they sent settlers there to find gold and whatever they could find to enrich England. Americans decided that since they were doing the work, doing the local governing and policing anyways, that they should keep what they labored for.   I don't see it as a rebellion. Unlike Israel, God, as far as we know, didn't deed this land to anyone, thus, it fell to whomever had strength to take and keep it. So America was born.

England was very much the governing authority in America as they were in their other colonies. The main difference is that England was much more generous in her ruling of the American colonies than her other colonies. This is why even at the height of the movement for American independence, no more than a third of the population supported the effort. Fully a third of the population was openly Loyalists, with the other third vainly trying to play neutral.

If one follows the history of the American colonial period it's one of a people (many) with a rebellious spirit intent upon doing what they thought right in their own eyes. Unlike the whitewashed history often put forth, early America was awash in sin, not a bastion of a great Christian society trying to live in accord with Scripture.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

England was very much the governing authority in America as they were in their other colonies. The main difference is that England was much more generous in her ruling of the American colonies than her other colonies. This is why even at the height of the movement for American independence, no more than a third of the population supported the effort. Fully a third of the population was openly Loyalists, with the other third vainly trying to play neutral.

If one follows the history of the American colonial period it's one of a people (many) with a rebellious spirit intent upon doing what they thought right in their own eyes. Unlike the whitewashed history often put forth, early America was awash in sin, not a bastion of a great Christian society trying to live in accord with Scripture.

True. In fact, as I recall, for a long time, Franklin was a loyalist and even when he turned, he was at odds with his son, who remained a loyalist. And yes, I agree that the US was never a bastion of goldy perfection, nor has it been.  In fact, I believe that, in many ways, that freedom of religion has actually been a bad thing, because, though we certainly wan6ed freedom to worship the Lord according to our soul's dicates, and didn't want the government to tell us what we can and can't do in that arena, yet not having to fight and strive for it has caused great error and falsehoods, as well as a general malaise in regards to things Christian. We invented the Laodician church, in bulk form, in many ways, and have spread its wickedness through the world.

• Members

Ridding the world of tyrants is one of those things that is high on my list of priorities if you'all will appoint me king.  But, since you'all are unlikely to do that, I await my Lord's return.

We wouldn't want to waste your time. This world is filled with billions of lost souls that serve their father the devil. There will ever be tyranny, to one degree or another, in every nation. Governments, regardless of type, are typically run by godless men so evil naturally ensues.

Look at the many evils done by the various "peace-loving democracies". All man-made governments run by men will fall exceedingly far short of that which God calls for. Nothing we do, short of spreading the Gospel, can have any real impact upon any of this.

Therefore, forget the crown of a king, too much trouble and sin comes with such, and enjoy the blessings of the Lord where you are.

• Members

I like Burger King! He's my second favorite king, next to the King of Kings. Then comes the King of Cartoons.

As Maggie Holland wrote in "A place called England."

I saw town and I saw country, motorway and sink estate;
Rich man in his rolling acres, poor man still outside the gate;
Retail park and burger kingdom, prairie field and factory farm,
Run by men who think that England's only a place to park their car.

The second line of that verse is an allusion to "All things bright & beautiful."

The rich man in his castle,

the poor man at his gate,
God made them high and lowly,
and ordered their estate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Somebody mentioned freewill.

Proverbs 21

1The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.

2 Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the Lord pondereth the hearts.

Methinks verse 1 may be speaking of the Lord Jesus Christ. We all usually do what is right in our own eyes but Jesus is the only King whose heart is completely given over to and controlled by God's will. The only times, I believe, that God would completely control any man's heart is when that person allows himself to be filled with the Holy Spirit.

Proverbs 16:9

A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.

God is in control of the "steps" and the outcome and He indeed allows wicked devices to come to pass. But, being Mr. OBama is "a man", it was his heart which devised his own way: It was he alone who decided to do things like voting for "partial birth abortion" when he was a senator, and to continue to support things like Sodomite marriage now.  God allows Mr. OBama freewill just like He does everybody else.

• Administrators

Interesting topic.

Goes right along with this past Sunday School Lesson

Take time to read Psalm 73......it's not too long.

Remembering who you are is important as well.

When I was in 8th grade, we had a music teacher who put that Psalm to music...I'll be singing it the rest of the day now.  :clap:  

• Moderators

That's better than many Christians who still call Elvis "The King". :icon_rolleyes:

He DID make a great peanut butter and banana sandwich!  Don't know that it would qualify him as king, but it does say something for him.

Just a short diversion, I remember David Cloud, I believe, talking about Elvis. I think either he met him, or he spoke of another preacher who did, who said that Elvis gave an excellent testimony of salvation, but at some point veered off into all kinds of weird things with fame. He said it was very sad, because he really believes Elvis was born again, but he had gone kind of nuts. Apparently he was very generous, giving expensive gifts to his assistants-maybe one remaining aspect of his faith. It may also explain his relatively young death, that the Lord let him run as for a while, then brought him home.  Speculation, but something to think on.

Back to the post!

• Members

I cannot honor OBama in any way at present.  Perhaps if he trusted Christ the answer would be different.

My Bible says that those that God puts over us are terrors to the evil, and not the good.

Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
Romans 13:2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
Romans 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
Romans 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
Romans 13:5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
Romans 13:6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
Romans 13:7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

OBama is against all that is God.  He has clearly demonstrated it.  His office is not ordained of God.  Rather, it is allowed by God.  God wants a people who will have Him as their authority.  Instead, they, like ancient Israel, wanted a king to rule them.  God gave them what they wanted.  He has allowed America to have what they wanted. 

Sadly, that which they wanted has proven to not be that which they needed. 

No, based on the fact that God's appointed rulers are terrors to the evil and not the good, I can emphatically say that God did not give us OBama so that we could honor OBama. 

Archived