• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"make your calling and election sure"

• Members

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to ever one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. (then see ...) Romans 10 :13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. (then see...) Ephesians 2: 8, 9 & 10 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (then still ...) Romans 11:5 & 6 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. (then ...) Galatians 3:2&3 This only would I learn you, Recieved ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? (then now see..) Ephesians 1 : 12, 13 &14 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. In whom ye also trusted, after ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation in whom also, after that ye believed ,ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possesion,unto the praise of his glory. (now just me saying!!!) Please read Ephesians Chapter 3 to the end you will be so blessed! (Actually I want to say read Romans, Galatians, Ephesians, Phllippians, Colossians and all the way thru to Hebrews !!) Just read His Word. Really Read His Word and you will know Really Know your His, bought by Him and you couldn't earn your salvation so you cann't keep yourself saved! He does!! Eph. 4:30...ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. His by Grace

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
.........When Paul and Barnabus preached to the Gentiles, who believed and were saved?

Acts 13: 48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

1. Do a study of the word "ordained". It doesn't mean what you think.
Try a Middle English dictionary. Also look up the Greek word it was translated from. The Greek word "tasso" is also translated as "addicted" in the King James Bible. With me so far? 1 Corinthians 16:15

2. Understand that, in the ancient world, same as now, people prepared and planned expecting full well to obtain eternal life. For example: Egyptians embalmed bodies and placed belongings, even food, into tombs in preparation for the afterlife. Some pharaohs had pyramids built, which took decades to construct, because they thought they would live forever. These people were lost and didn't know the true and living God, yet they were "fixed", "determined", "set", on having eternal life. Read Mark 10:17

3. Understand also that some people lived for today, even as now. Atheists today, say they beleive the grave is the end. I heard one of my college instructors say he did not WANT to live forever. The Bible also says "the fool hath said in his heart there is no God"; so we know there were athiests then too. They are NOT ordained "set" on getting eternal life.

4. So those Gentiles who were "fixed", "set", on living forever, beleived on the Lord Jesus Christ. They were "addicted", if you will, to the prospect of living forever.

5. Acts 13: 48 DOES NOT say "God" did any ordaining; to say so, is to add to the word of God. These were people who "ordained" themselves . They were simply "set", "ordered' "fixed" "determined" to have eternal life...."addicted" to it......Just like the pharaohs were.

Study the original meaning of the word "ordained".

• Members

I'm sorry but I'm left a bit confused! Are you concerned about "everyone thinking they are recieving life eternal" ? God's word says...Ephesians 2:2 & 3 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lust of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. OR Are you concerned that you could lose your salvation? God's word says...Phillipians 1: 6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: (Now only my words!) I've read your post several times and you wanted me to find the meaning of "ordained" in ACT 13:48 "ordained" here it means " to appoint because of their decision" according to my notes from my Pastors teaching in S.S.. He's a trustworthy and lovingly leads the flock not behind us pushing us. Did you know that's what a sheep butcher does to the flock? It pushes them to their death!! I just learned that so I had to share! Anyway, that's why Jesus say's to follow Him! He's the sheeperd is alway's looking over the flock keeping them safe even when they run off on their own. He always goes and get's them. They never get mixed in with another flock at the end of the day because when he calls for His sheep they come knowing His call! I just thought how really exciting that is to know for me! Sure hope this helps!! If not , explain to me what's concerning you and I'll try to help. In Christ's love His by Grace

1. Do a study of the word "ordained". It doesn't mean what you think.
Try a Middle English dictionary. Also look up the Greek word it was translated from. The Greek word "tasso" is also translated as "addicted" in the King James Bible. With me so far? 1 Corinthians 16:15

2. Understand that, in the ancient world, same as now, people prepared and planned expecting full well to obtain eternal life. For example: Egyptians embalmed bodies and placed belongings, even food, into tombs in preparation for the afterlife. Some pharaohs had pyramids built, which took decades to construct, because they thought they would live forever. These people were lost and didn't know the true and living God, yet they were "fixed", "determined", "set", on having eternal life. Read Mark 10:17

3. Understand also that some people lived for today, even as now. Atheists today, say they beleive the grave is the end. I heard one of my college instructors say he did not WANT to live forever. The Bible also says "the fool hath said in his heart there is no God"; so we know there were athiests then too. They are NOT ordained "set" on getting eternal life.

4. So those Gentiles who were "fixed", "set", on living forever, beleived on the Lord Jesus Christ. They were "addicted", if you will, to the prospect of living forever.

5. Acts 13: 48 DOES NOT say "God" did any ordaining; to say so, is to add to the word of God. These were people who "ordained" themselves . They were simply "set", "ordered' "fixed" "determined" to have eternal life...."addicted" to it......Just like the pharaohs were.

Study the original meaning of the word "ordained".

• Members
in ACT 13:48 "ordained" here it means " to appoint because of their decision"

The word "ordained" basicly means "set". One can be 'set' to something without being appointed. I used to hear the old folks say things like "he's 'set' in his ways". Someone who is set in his ways is difficult or almost impossible to change....he is ordered or established or 'fixed' to a habit, lifestyle, or frame of mind....just like an 'addict'. It is possible to "appoint" someone else to a certain responsiblity, lifestyle, task, whatever; this is pretty much how we use the word "ordained" today. But the Bible does NOT say that the people in Acts 13:48 were "appointed" by anybody. It simply says they "were "ordained". Ordained by who? It doesn't say. They were 'set'. Set to what? Eternal life.

And, no, a saved person cannot lose their salvation.

• Members

Thank goodness! I was afraid you were woried about losing your salvation! Your sue on that Amen!!! Yet I don't understand what your trying to tell me you belive in "ordained " meaning "set" to you here. I read the verse with your diffinition and I'm not understanding what your trying so hard for me to understand! Please explain ok? I still stand by "ordained" here means "to appoint because of their decision" because my Pastor always proves scriptue with scipture. I haven't studied this after your post I read yesterday but I will as soon as I have a bit of time!!

The word "ordained" basicly means "set". One can be 'set' to something without being appointed. I used to hear the old folks say things like "he's 'set' in his ways". Someone who is set in his ways is difficult or almost impossible to change....he is ordered or established or 'fixed' to a habit, lifestyle, or frame of mind....just like an 'addict'. It is possible to "appoint" someone else to a certain responsiblity, lifestyle, task, whatever; this is pretty much how we use the word "ordained" today. But the Bible does NOT say that the people in Acts 13:48 were "appointed" by anybody. It simply says they "were "ordained". Ordained by who? It doesn't say. They were 'set'. Set to what? Eternal life.

• Members

• Members

His by Grace,
Calvinists use Acts 13:48 as a 'proof text' to promote their doctrine. I was posting an answer to "Invicta" because he/she seemed to be using it to do so. What I am saying is that the Gentiles, in Acts 13, did not beleive because God ordained them to eternal life. Acts 13:48 doesn't say God ordained anyone to anything.

Please explain the following in more detail.......

I still stand by "ordained" here means "to appoint because of their decision" because my Pastor always proves scriptue with scipture.

• Members

From "stupid" or called His by Grace here most days! !Calvinism believes that God has already decided who will and won't be saved. I have it straight,correct? But then we would not be told "whosover calls upon Him" or " He died so that ALL might be save" or "tell us to us to have preachers preach the gospel" or "some you will reach out of love and some with "righteous anger?"--just remembering verses these are not exact renderings of verses! So, I'm sorry I interrupted your conversation ! Are you a Calvinist?? His by Grace P.S. I was ask to define "ordained" in this verse so I shared what my pastor has taught me. That's all ! I'm being told it means "let", don't understand even when I read it with let instead of ordained. Unsure of point trying to be made!!

• Members

So your only saying that salvation was for the Gentiles as well as the Jews? That's not a problem because in Acts10: 45 Peter here is speaking of Baptising the Gentiles that were present that had "also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost" Then Acts 11:17 & 18 ends stating "Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life." I haven't been taught or studied out exactly when the Gentiles began to recieve salvation. Although I do know it was His command to the Jew first and then to the Gentiles. Is there some disagreement I'm not aware of about when Gentiles began to be saved?? His by Grace

• Members

Heartstrings, Now that I cann't agree on because we were grafted into the tree after His chosen rejected Him. Wouldn't you agree by scriptures pure teaching? Why do you say "even in the O.T.?

While the door was not wide open during Old Testament times to Gentiles, salvation was yet available to them. The Moabitess Ruth is one example.

After Christ and the Jews rejection of Him, the doors were opened wide to the Gentiles and Paul and others took the Gospel directly to the Gentiles. At this time Gentiles were grafted into the vine in the sense that God was no longer working specifically through the Jews but was opening Himself fully to all.

I'm not sure how clear I am being here so feel free to ask questions.