• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why King James Only?

• Moderators

​Yes, Didn't the "angels cohabiting with women" thing come from the "Apocrypha" too?

​Oh Boy, Let's not get into THAT again, LOL. We have had some spirited discussion on it, and I think it is because of this very statement, not found in the BIble.

Unless we WANT to get into it, I don't mind.:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

As I understand, the book of Judith is about a prophet during the time of Jeremiah, who is supposedly given direction from God to tell the people that they are to stand and fight the invading Babylonian armies, while we know that Jeremiah told them to stand down and surrender and accept God's discipline, and He would protect them and the land and the temple, and bring them back. So Judith was telling them just the opposite of what Jeremiah was telling them. One is wrong.

​Actually was reading the book of Judith and came across the 'timing' of the events in chapter 5, where it describes that this history occurred AFTER the return of the Jews to Jerusalem. And AFTER the rebuilding of the Temple.

Therefore it has nothing to do with Jeremiah and nothing to do with the Nebuchadnezzar that we are usually familiar with. In fact the name used was Nabuchodonosor, which some have referred to as Nebuchadnezzar. Could be the 'greek' version of the same name, but not the same person.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

allow me to play devils advocate here, Where was the perfectly preserved text before the KJV? Why does nOBody hold to a Geneva Bible only position?

If as you say God has promised to give us a perfect preserved word, why does it have to be in english?

What about Russian? to my knowledge the only Russian Bible translation is from a Critical text, They do not have anything in their language that is perfect, has God failed them or lied to them? If you are willing to admit that God would leave them without a perfect bible, why do we English speaking people think God owes us a perfect english translation? on what basis do we have to say the King James is better than the Geneva, the Bishops, or even the Wycliffe Bible... how can we say we accept by faith that the King James is perfect and preserved, and not be able to apply that to the Geneva Bible translation before it? 

Some honest questions that I never find good answers to.

Again i am playing devils advocate, I do hold to a King James only position for English.

​I do.

• Members

Why are you King James only? or if you aren't why not?

I found that many people from both sides of the debate are ignorant about a lot of things, many often parrot what they have heard from others, and many have not done critical thinking on these issues.

I would say that my main reasons is that I absolutely do not believe that the textual theories of Wescott and Hort are valid, and I believe the critical text is based on minority manuscripts because of the cultic following and unquestioning loyalty to their textual theories (Oldest and Best Manuscripts blah blah blah).

on the flip side I have seen many King James Only people with some pretty lacking defenses of the King James Only position.

What is your position and why do you hold to it?

​I have found that there are 'wordings' in the 1611 text that actually say different than the meanings, and the bible I use 'says' what the meaning is - in the text.

• Members

Stop mischaracterizing Dr. Ruckman's position. I get so tired of uniformed people putting a doctrine in the mouth of a man. And it isn't just "Ruckman" he has earned his doctrates unlike many pulp mill professors in the IFB colleges.

Can you please post the context of your information where, when and why he may have said the AV was better than the "originals" which no one here has ever seen yet seem to act like they exisit.....

MIke, you started with " " on your opening statement, thereby atributting your statement to Dr Ruckman, I for one would like to see that direct quote from Dr Ruckman.

​I used to receive his mailer newsletter all the time, back in the 90's, and that is exactly what I got, and from his multitude of videos.

No I don't have'em anymore, and can't quote sources, but that is/was my thinking from his teachings.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

Found an interestin' quote about Ruckmans belief:

"To blazes with “THE GREEK TEXT.” It is so inferior to the English text they are not worthy of standing on the same shelf. I put Nestle, Hort, Aland, Metzger, Alford, Souter, Erasmus, Stephanus, Elzevir, and the rest on a shelf below my original edition of the Authorized Version from 1613." (Ruckman, Peter. The Christian’s Handbook of Biblical Scholarship. Pensacola, Bible Baptist Bookstore, 1988, p. 338)

• Members

Stop mischaracterizing Dr. Ruckman's position. I get so tired of uniformed people putting a doctrine in the mouth of a man. And it isn't just "Ruckman" he has earned his doctrates unlike many pulp mill professors in the IFB colleges.

Can you please post the context of your information where, when and why he may have said the AV was better than the "originals" which no one here has ever seen yet seem to act like they exisit.....

MIke, you started with " " on your opening statement, thereby atributting your statement to Dr Ruckman, I for one would like to see that direct quote from Dr Ruckman.

​Not the originals, but the one's used to translate our bible from.

See post above.

By the way, doesn't the KJB state 'translated from the original Greek' on the title page?

That would make Elziver, Stephanus, and Erasmus, as the Greek used for the KJB, the 'original Greek' referred to?

[Beza not even being mentioned - even though the TR says it was]

You know, since the originals haven't existed for probably 1900 years or so.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• 1 month later...
  • Members

allow me to play devils advocate here, Where was the perfectly preserved text before the KJV? Why does nOBody hold to a Geneva Bible only position?

If as you say God has promised to give us a perfect preserved word, why does it have to be in english?

What about Russian? to my knowledge the only Russian Bible translation is from a Critical text, They do not have anything in their language that is perfect, has God failed them or lied to them? If you are willing to admit that God would leave them without a perfect bible, why do we English speaking people think God owes us a perfect english translation? on what basis do we have to say the King James is better than the Geneva, the Bishops, or even the Wycliffe Bible... how can we say we accept by faith that the King James is perfect and preserved, and not be able to apply that to the Geneva Bible translation before it? 

Some honest questions that I never find good answers to.

Again i am playing devils advocate, I do hold to a King James only position for English.

I am interested in the answers to these questions.

I am currently trying to discern the truth of this KJV Only matter and I currently lean towards the non-KJV Only position.  My dad holds to a KJV only position and I have been in discussion with him on this issue as of late.  He holds to the position that it is the underlying Greek texts of the KJV and of the other versions that are the real issue. For instance, writing the meaning of an archaic word next to it is perfectly acceptable.

I have read the 'King James Only Controversy' by James White and have found many of the arguments put forth to be convincing.  I am currently reading 'The King James Version Defended' by Edward F. Hills.  

I, like the OP, have also noticed that many people that hold either position have not really taken the time to search this out thoroughly and have deferred to pastors or other men of God in coming to their conclusion on the matter.

Also, what do you all think of the preponderance of true, faithful Christians that use other versions such as the ESV, NASB, or NIV? Or would you say they are not true believers?  

• Members

I am interested in the answers to these questions.
I am currently trying to discern the truth of this KJV Only matter and I currently lean towards the non-KJV Only position.  My dad holds to a KJV only position and I have been in discussion with him on this issue as of late.  He holds to the position that it is the underlying Greek texts of the KJV and of the other versions that are the real issue. For instance, writing the meaning of an archaic word next to it is perfectly acceptable.

I have read the 'King James Only Controversy' by James White and have found many of the arguments put forth to be convincing.  I am currently reading 'The King James Version Defended' by Edward F. Hills.  

I, like the OP, have also noticed that many people that hold either position have not really taken the time to search this out thoroughly and have deferred to pastors or other men of God in coming to their conclusion on the matter.

Also, what do you all think of the preponderance of true, faithful Christians that use other versions such as the ESV, NASB, or NIV? Or would you say they are not true believers?  

​Read the book "For the Love of the Bible" by David Cloud. really sums up a big issue that exists with all of the modern versions.