• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why King James Only?

• Members

Why are you King James only? or if you aren't why not?

I found that many people from both sides of the debate are ignorant about a lot of things, many often parrot what they have heard from others, and many have not done critical thinking on these issues.

I would say that my main reasons is that I absolutely do not believe that the textual theories of Wescott and Hort are valid, and I believe the critical text is based on minority manuscripts because of the cultic following and unquestioning loyalty to their textual theories (Oldest and Best Manuscripts blah blah blah).

on the flip side I have seen many King James Only people with some pretty lacking defenses of the King James Only position.

What is your position and why do you hold to it?

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

I started reading KJV because it was only large print Bible I had. Then I started attending my IFB church and that's what they use. I admit I do have to check another version sometimes to figure out what they're saying at it is hard to understand sometimes.

I don't know what textual theories even are.

Edited by Miss Daisy

• Moderators

I started reading KJV because it was only large print Bible I had. Then I started attending my IFB church and that's what they use. I admit I do have to check another version sometimes to figure out what they're saying at it is hard to understand sometimes.

I don't know what textual theories even are.

The textual theories that Jordan refers to, are the standard arguments that bible 'scholars' and critics use: the oldest manuscript is the best, because its closest to the originals in time. Or that the Bible should be interpreted no differently than any other work of literature, meaning one can make it to be whatever they want it to be. 

• Members

Many years ago, just as clear as could be, the Lord directed me to use the KJB. Thankfully I OBeyed and reading the KJB the Word was suddenly clear to me, memorization of the Word became almost easy, and my growth in the Word and in Christ excelled.

It wasn't until later I even learned of KJO, the history behind the many MVs, the basis and arguments of text sources, etc.

• Members

The King James Bible is perfect for many reasons which I don't have time to get into. God promised to preserve his words. Modern versions, such as the ESV and NIV, are always coming out with new versions which change words. The King James Bible has stood the test of time and doesn't lack important passages that the modern Bibles lack. Finally, the modern Bibles contain legitimate conflicts which are not in the King James Bible.

• Members

The King James Bible is perfect for many reasons which I don't have time to get into. God promised to preserve his words. Modern versions, such as the ESV and NIV, are always coming out with new versions which change words. The King James Bible has stood the test of time and doesn't lack important passages that the modern Bibles lack. Finally, the modern Bibles contain legitimate conflicts which are not in the King James Bible.

That "stood the test of time" is a very important factor and one that most KJB detractors have a difficult time trying to deal with. That's why they will most often ignore and steer clear of the 400 year track record of success only the KJB has and instead argue that the language is "archaic" and "nOBody can understand it".

Interesting to consider that young children used to learn to read using the KJB but today it's claimed neither high school or college graduates can understand the KJB. I would say that's an indictment against the education system, not the KJB.

I see now they are promoting the MEV as being the newest and best Bible today. That's the same thing they said previously about the ESV, NIV and so many others. How long before yet another MV is deemed necessary for the sake of publishers profits?

• Members

Let's first clarify which "KJV Only" meaning you have in mind:

1: Ruckman-style, "the Bible was never perfect or complete until presented in the KJV 1611 version, which is perfect, and actually better than the autographs, as well as being inspired as a version. I am not of this mind. 

2: Preservation KJV only: The KJV is the preserved Bible, coming directly down in a perfect manner from the inspried autographs. We don't look to the 'originals' because they no longer exist, but we believe God preserved it exactly as He would have it. I hold to this position.

Why? As you said above, Jordan, one reason is the Wescott/Hort connection: a couple Anglicans who made plain that they didn't believe in the Bible, and held to many Roman Catholic doctrines, such as mariolatry.

As well, there is still many unanswered questions concerning Von Tischendorf's finding of the Sinaiticus, and whether it was even an authentic ancient manuscript. Despite the arguments from a man who claimed to have personally written the so-called Sinaiticus, there qas never any testing done to dispute this. As well, the copy was badly damaged and burned, though many of the burns look very neat and orderly, almost as if done on purpose, to look like it had been cast into a fire, as the story goes. AND there are numerous scribal errors and alterations, which as any scribe would know, should disqualify it as a 'good' text.

The Vaticanus manuscript, also supposedly 'discovered' by Von Tischendorf, was well-known by earlier translators and was rejected by them for its many deviations from the other extant manuscripts.   Yet, it was these two foundations of sand upon which W&H chose to build their Fawlty Towers of scripture.

That's a start for now.

Stop mischaracterizing Dr. Ruckman's position. I get so tired of uniformed people putting a doctrine in the mouth of a man. And it isn't just "Ruckman" he has earned his doctrates unlike many pulp mill professors in the IFB colleges.

Can you please post the context of your information where, when and why he may have said the AV was better than the "originals" which no one here has ever seen yet seem to act like they exisit.....

MIke, you started with " " on your opening statement, thereby atributting your statement to Dr Ruckman, I for one would like to see that direct quote from Dr Ruckman.

Edited by Calvary

• Moderators

Stop mischaracterizing Dr. Ruckman's position. I get so tired of uniformed people putting a doctrine in the mouth of a man. And it isn't just "Ruckman" he has earned his doctrates unlike many pulp mill professors in the IFB colleges.

Can you please post the context of your information where, when and why he may have said the AV was better than the "originals" which no one here has ever seen yet seem to act like they exisit.....

“A little English will clear up the OBscurities in any Greek text” (Ruckman, Manuscript Evidence, p. 147)

“If all you have is the ‘original Greek,’ you lose light” (Ruckman, Manuscript Evidence, p. 336).

"We shall deal with the English Text of the Protestant Reformation, and our references to Greek or Hebrew will only be made to enforce the authority of that text or  to demonstrate thebelief superiority of that text to Greek and Hebrew”  (Peter Ruckman,  PrOBlem Texts, Preface, Pensacola Bible Institute Press, 1980, p. vii).“

MIke, you started with " " on your opening statement, thereby atributting your statement to Dr Ruckman, I for one would like to see that direct quote from Dr Ruckman.

Sorry, should have used ' ' instead-I was more referring to the general theory, not a specific quote-my error, and I withdraw the quotes.

BY the way, ever read the Ruckman book, "Black is Beautiful"? Interesting book, all about Ruckman's beliefs concerning UFO's and such things.

• Members

I have to chime in here:

To answer the OP:

I am KJV because the Bible demands it.  The Bible promises a perfectly preserved text.  When we study what the Scriptures say about themselves, the only Bible that matches all of the combined criteria is the KJV - none of the other versions come close.  Not even the TR qualifies.

Mike - I have a lot of respect for you, and appreciate your insight, wisdom, and hold you in high regard.  However, you are wrong about Dr. Ruckman. 

You have assembled a few quotes, taken out of context.  Can you even begin to explain anything he meant with the quotes you provided?

I have to ask because I was there - I attend Dr. Ruckman's school, and graduated in 1996.  I have read the vast majority of what he has written, and listened to countless hours of his teaching and preaching.  I know what he said, and I know what he MEANT when he said it.  Do you?  Or are you simply drawing off what somebody else wrote about him second and third hand?  Just curious.

No heat here....just curious.

In Christ,

• Members

Miss Daisy, I don't want to get sidetracked here.  I am addressing the KJV issue.  Dr. Ruckman is a man after all, just like all of the rest of them, and he has his faults and failures, just like everyone else.

My issue here is that people are constantly misquoting him and falsely accusing him of a position he does not hold by taking his comments out of context, and assigning a meaning to them he does not intend.  Anyone who has read his books in full would understand that.  And anyone who posts quotes like these above has done one of two things:

1.  Copied a quote from someone else without checking into it, or,

2.  Purposefully maligned him for some weird reason.

So UFO's are not germane to the discussion.  It is merely a "guilt by association" tactic meant to discredit the man.