• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sermon Supoenaes

ThePilgrim

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

They should just all go and preach the sermons for her, personally, one after another. in fact, let's ALL go preach for her! Imagine, a hundred preachers, and lets get a bunch of IFB's to come and preach down heaven, there on the front lawn of her house, in front of city hall, wherever she goes.

And we don't just pre4ach on homosexuality-no we get ALL the sins in there, and all the richness and doctrines of the word of God! We'll preach His birth and His death, the gospel and the doctrines of hell and heaven! She wants it? Let's give her ALL of it!

WHO'S WITH ME? AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

• Members

THer used to be a blind preacher in London and he always preached without notes.  I was tol that once when on his way to church he asked a companion, "What shall I preach on tonight?"

• Administrators

The 5 were singled out because of petitions that apparently were circulated against the "bathroom" bill (what the churches call it) - the bill that would make public restrooms open to any gender...even though there are laws on the books in TX that would keep certain people away from restrooms of opposite gender because of being pedophiles.

Before she started backpedaling, she tweeted that the 5 pastors got into politics, so they aren't protected...She OBviously has no knowledge of American history.  

For starters, homosexuality/gender nonsense isn't political at its root, it is spiritual (as is abortion, adultery, etc., etc.).  And as such, any "issue" that is out there in public that relates to that is open to be preached about in the pulpit.

Secondly, the founding people of this country did not in any way believe that Christians and/or pastors were to keep their noses out of politics. The erroneous idea of separation of church and state being that no Christians have say in government and no government offices can in any way acknowledge God or Jesus Christ has contributed to government servants becoming lords and masters as Christians bow the knee to them believing they are OBeying God...

• Members

Todd Starnes posted this 25 minutes ago on his FB PAGE:

Urgent Item! The lesbian mayor of Houston has NOT rescinded the subpoenas against the 5 Christian pastors. Family Research Council has launched a petition drive calling for the city to immediately rescind the subpoenas. I need you to sign the petition!
Let's send a very clear message to Houston and the nation. Please, please share this with your family and friends and church members Stand together people of faith!
https://www.frc.org/houston

• Members

OBviously we can read any motives we like into these subpoenas being issued, but strictly on the facts alone I don't see what this has got to do with them being pastors or separation of church and state or anything like that.

A petition was lodged with the council and there is a dispute about whether it contains enough valid signatures. The group that lodged the petition is OBviously saying that there are and the council is saying that there aren't. So a group of people are now suing the council to force them to acknowledge that there are enough signatures and respond to the petition appropriately. In response to the lawsuit, the council's lawyers have issued subpoenas demanding information from those who collected the signatures, and the pastors in question are among those who collected the signatures.

At the end of the day, if it's necessary to collect that information for the sake of defending the lawsuit then those doing the defending are justified asking for it and its irrelevant whether the people who have the information are pastors or not. If the case is about whether a petition was done fairly and it's necessary to scrutinise how those who collected the signatures went about doing it, a person shouldn't be immune from such scrutiny just because they happen to be a pastor, even if they've decided to do the organising/collecting in 'work' time.

So if the subpoenas are justified for the sake of defending the suit, then those subject to them ought to OBlige even if they are pastors, and if the subpoenas aren't justified then those subject to them ought not to OBlige even if they aren't pastors.

So are they justified? I.M.O no. There are presumably very clear rules about what is a valid signing of a petition and what isn't, and the existence of the paperwork isn't disputed, so surely that's all anyone needs in order to establish whether enough valid signatures were collected--no need for anything else. Moreover the scope of the subpoenas seems to go way beyond collecting information about the petition, which of course is the bit the press has majored on. So I've got some sympathy with those who say this is about trying to intimidate pastors, 'cos it does look suspicious. But there are alternative explanations, e.g. lazy legal secretaries, beaurocratic incompetency etc.

Archived