• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Salute No Man

Ukulelemike

• Moderators

"After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come.

Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.

Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.

Carry neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way."   (Luke 10:1-4)

Monday evening a preacher was preaching from this passage, and as he read this, I got to thinking about verse four, where Jesus told the disciples to "salute no man by the way."  Now, they were being sent out to preach-why would they be commanded to salute, or greet, perhaps, no man by the way as they journeyed to preach in their given cities.

I have a few thoughts rumbling around in my brain, but nothing firm, but then I have never really considered it before. Any thoughts on this?

• Members

Maybe it's an issue of time consumption?  Maybe it was a "show no respect of persons" reference? Greek reference is "to draw to oneself"

Maybe He was saying to not draw men into what you are doing but point them to me.

All just opinion.

Lots to pull from here. Good Topic

• Members

As I heard this preached on once the "salute" that was being referred to involved spending long, drawn out time with someone as was a part of their custom in that day. The disciples were not being told not to speak to anyone as they went from place to place, but to not get distracted during their travels and find themselves sidetracked in saluting those on the way; which could lead to spending hours, a whole day or even days with them.

That's the nutshell of what I remember off hand on that point.

• Members

I think that is what my wife does when we are visiting someone and it is time to go.  She and the other guys wife will stand and salute each other for another half hour at the door while I am already in the car and the other guy is grimacing.   Women are great at saluting.  :hide:

• Moderators

Makes sense. I guess sometimes we forget that the culture was considerably different then-today we tend to want to get a-goin', we always have somewhere to be, something to be doing, the very reason many can barely even meet with the church at all. We are a busy society, and of course, that is Satan's way-keep us so busy we don't fellowship, we don't assemble, families fall apart, children have no adult supervision or role model; chaos.

So of course, a 'salute' could be a whole, sit and eat and fellowship and relax and maybe even stay at someone's home for the night, part of the standard mode of hospitality of the time, something demanded for believers, but in this case, demanded they not partake in, lest it keep them from fulfilling the goal given.

This is why fellowship is so important-makes complete sense. Any more is welcome, too. Thanks.

• Members

I think that is what my wife does when we are visiting someone and it is time to go.  She and the other guys wife will stand and salute each other for another half hour at the door while I am already in the car and the other guy is grimacing.   Women are great at saluting.  :hide:

I think every woman in my family is guilty of this except me. When I'm ready to go, I'm ready to go! My mom's even bad about getting off the phone AFTER she says goodbye, she's always got more to say and keeps talking.

• Members

I find it interesting the way country men do their saluting.  When I lived in Nebraska, twenty-five miles from town, where every house was at least a mile or more apart.  Anyways, I would be driving down a country road and what would I run into but a roadblock comprised of two local farmers stopped on the road (one headin' north, tuther headin' south, heads stuck out the window conversatin'.  This was nearly a daily occurrence (exaggeratin' a little).  You know you'd think the time they spend at the coffee shop in town with their discussions, about the weather and the price of corn or wheat or cattle or whatever, they wouldn't need to have further conversation at their roadblocks.  But that's the way I found it in the country.  Loved it there though cause it was friendly.   :th_tiphat:

Archived