• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Way Of Life - Those Fundamentalist Pharisees

RSS Robot

• Members

1. Phariseeism is supplanting the Word of God with man-made tradition and thereby making the Word of God of none effect. “Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men” (Mat. 15:7-9).

2. Phariseeism is rejecting Jesus Christ. “
Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw. And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David? But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils” (Mat. 12:22-24).

3. Phariseeism is perverting the Gospel of the free grace of Christ into a work’s salvation. “
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves” (Mat. 23:15).

4. Phariseeism is self-righteousness. “
And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess” (Lk. 18:9-12).

5. Phariseeism is the practice of religious hypocrisy. 
“In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy” (Lk. 12:1). 

Unfortunately, many of these can be found in IFB churches.   Not all, but some.   Particularly #1, 4, and 5.

• Members

I personally think David Cloud has gotten a bit extreme, too.  He used to be great.  But lately I feel like he is really, really getting negative and focusing on local churches on issues that are personal liberty rather than doctrinal or Scriptural teachings.

I like his old articles on basic doctrines or basic teachings (Halloween, movies, etc) but now he is nit picking on lots of little stuff that to me seems overdone.  The main thing is we should be living for God and reaching others.  It should not concern me what another pastor's church is doing 500 miles away.

• Members

Exactly....we don't answer to David Cloud as sort of an IFB conference.  It is really none of his business what independent pastors decide to do in their own churches as regards to music or visiting speakers.

• Administrators

Well, we don't answer to him. But have you ever thought that maybe his articles reflect his concerns and sorrow over the way so many churches are going?  In the long run, each church is independent. No doubt about that. But are we not, as Christians, also interdependent on each other?  

When a Bible college to which parents send their children incorporates things like CCM (only mentioned because of the music mention), shouldn't someone sound the alarm?  If parents don't care about the music, okay fine.  But if they do, I imagine they would be thankful to find out what's going on.  Etc...

When independent churches start colleges and recruit students from other colleges, they are open to nationwide (and often worldwide) critique.

• Members

Who on this earth are the churches supposed to be tied to? The "independent" in IFB simply indicates each church is locally self-governed in that it's not a part of a denominational structure or subject to rules of an umbrella convention, they have no president or pope.

The term "independent" is not at all related to an IFBs standing under God; which the "fundamentalist" part addresses.

• Members

Who on this earth are the churches supposed to be tied to? The "independent" in IFB simply indicates each church is locally self-governed in that it's not a part of a denominational structure or subject to rules of an umbrella convention, they have no president or pope.

The term "independent" is not at all related to an IFBs standing under God; which the "fundamentalist" part addresses.

The statements that were made; in which, you addressed (and answered) are some of the same ones that I used to hear from Southern Baptists who were in opposition to the Independent Baptist movement.

• Administrators

NO Christian is Independent.

No local assembly is Independent.

The body of Christ is not independent.

Maybe we should be "Dependent Fundamental Baptists".

And this is why your profile days you are not an Independent Baptist. Are you even a Baptist? Why then are you here AV? This is a message board for like minded Independent Fundamental Baptists.

We are Independent Baptists, meaning that  each church is independent of any other and is not a part of any outside organizational structure. It does not mean, and has never meant, that we are independent from our head, Jesus Christ.

Again I have to ask why you are here AV. Is it simply to spread dissention among like minded Baptists? If your sole purpose here is to spread dissention then you are the epitome of a wolf in sheeps clothing and it is prOBably time for a mod to remedy this situation.

• Members

I personally think David Cloud has gotten a bit extreme, too.  He used to be great.  But lately I feel like he is really, really getting negative and focusing on local churches on issues that are personal liberty rather than doctrinal or Scriptural teachings.

I like his old articles on basic doctrines or basic teachings (Halloween, movies, etc) but now he is nit picking on lots of little stuff that to me seems overdone.  The main thing is we should be living for God and reaching others.  It should not concern me what another pastor's church is doing 500 miles away.

I have been following Cloud for years now. I have not seen a change in him but I have seen changes in many IFB churches that gives them reason to be called out. The apostles called people out in the Bible and good ministries should do the same so that people will be made aware of what is going on.

• Members

And this is why your profile days you are not an Independent Baptist. Are you even a Baptist? Why then are you here AV? This is a message board for like minded Independent Fundamental Baptists.  I am A Bible Believer with a Baptist Background, the IFB or other Baptist label is not important to me as they are with you and others.  I was an independent Bible Believing Missionary for 15 years and I personally led over 700 people to salvation through faith on Jesus Christ finished work of the cross since my salvation 21 years ago.  I currently attend A IFB church

We are Independent Baptists, meaning that  each church is independent of any other and is not a part of any outside organizational structure. It does not mean, and has never meant, that we are independent from our head, Jesus Christ.  Baptist is the Name that ties you all together.  YOu can be as independent as you want but the name still ties.

Again I have to ask why you are here AV.  For like minded fellowship on the AV Bible being the preserved, whole, complete inerrant, inspried word of God. Is it simply to spread dissention among like minded Baptists? If your sole purpose here is to spread dissention then you are the epitome of a wolf in sheeps clothing and it is prOBably time for a mod to remedy this situation.  2Pe 2:10d ¶ But chiefly them that walk after the flesh  . . . they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.

Not one of us is independent even if you claim to be for we are all dependent on the Head, Jesus Christ.  that was the point of my statement.  Something that is easily forgotten.  why do you think that Jesus said they must be like a child?  DEPENDENT is one aspect of a child.

Archived