• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can You Lose Your Christian Inheritance?

Miss Daisy

• Members

Today my pastor's sermon was on losing your Christian inheritance. Not your salvation. But what you've earned (in heaven) by your works for Christ and the church if you're not always walking with God and working for God. Working at the church, soul winning, etc..

After this statement he gave a rapid succession of verses. I wrote most down but haven't had time to look them up to see if the verses support his statement.

What does anyone else think or have heard this before?

• Members

The only "works" ,however nOBle, that will suffer loss are those works done for the wrong motive.  They were done for promotion of yourself and for pride, such as making sure everyone knows you sacraficially gave "X" dollars to the poor.  You have your reward already here on earth.  I have NEVER heard anything even close to what your Pastor seems to be saying, though I will withold judgement because I have not heard the entire sermon.  I am hoping that maybe you just totally misunderstood.  I will be praying either way.  

Bro. Garry

• Members
Today my pastor's sermon was on losing your Christian inheritance. Not your salvation. But what you've earned (in heaven) by your works for Christ and the church if you're not always walking with God and working for God. Working at the church, soul winning, etc.. After this statement he gave a rapid succession of verses. I wrote most down but haven't had time to look them up to see if the verses support his statement. What does anyone else think or have heard this before?
Sure I've heard it. Gal 3:1-3 1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not OBey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? Yes we should do these things, and whatever the Spirit leads us to do. No, we don't lose our reward for skipping door-knocking on Saturday Morning. If we turn back from serving God completely, we don't receive certain crowns. The tail doesn't wag the dog.

• Members

I would really have to hear the sermon to know just what his emphasis was. We can lose rewards in the sense of not gaining those we had the opportunity to gain while here. All our works will be tried and those that are pure will reap rewards while all else will be burned up.

Some pastors use this concept to try and get folks in his church to basically compete for rewards. As Bro Garry pointed out, that would be doing good things but with the wrong motive and for such there will be no heavenly reward.

We are saved unto good works, as Ephesians 2:10 tells us, but those good works are to flow out of hearts dedicated to serving Christ out of love, reverence and OBedience; not because someone is pressuring us to try and earn rewards.

• Moderators

1 Cor. 3:12-15 talks about us losing out on rewards when they are done wrongly - like for the wrong motives. Nothing about losing out for not following another mans idea of what you should be doing.

Sure I've heard it. Gal 3:1-31 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not OBey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?Yes we should do these things, and whatever the Spirit leads us to do.No, we don't lose our reward for skipping door-knocking on Saturday Morning.If we turn back from serving God completely, we don't receive certain crowns.The tail doesn't wag the dog.

I agree with your conclusion, but don't see how the quoted verses are applicable...?

• Members

1 Cor. 3:12-15 talks about us losing out on rewards when they are done wrongly - like for the wrong motives. Nothing about losing out for not following another mans idea of what you should be doing.

I agree with your conclusion, but don't see how the quoted verses are applicable...?

The false teaching centers around works-perfection:
That we are made perfect by doing a laundry list of requirenents handed to us by the church.

• Moderators

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you," (1Pet 1:3,4)

An inheritance is not a reward earned, but something that is rightfully in store for the heir. We are the heirs of God, joint-heirs with Christ, an we cannot lose our inheritance. We can lose rewards, but our inheritance in our eternal life-it is reserved for us.

• Members

Just as some preachers use threats of God taking His money through car breakdowns, sickness or unexpected bills if people don't give enough to the church, some also preach a threatening message to try and scare the congregation into doing whatever the preacher declares they need to be doing...whether that be everyone out door knocking, or volunteering for church projects, or attending a certain number of church Bible studies, or getting involved in church ministry to the retirement home, etc.

Whenever a pastor uses fear tactics in order to try and manipulate the conduct of the congregation, they are using human methods.

This sort of preaching is much easier than actually taking the time before God in prayer to discern His leading, spending time in the Word to discover the biblical approach, properly preaching the Word so the congregation grows in Christ, and trusting the work of the Holy Ghost with it all.

• Administrators

Well, considering that we don't know all that your pastor said, I don't think judgment can be passed correctly to answer your question.  Mayhap - in all fairness to your pastor - you should post some of the those verses, with his explanations, so we can understand more of what he was saying. Could it be that he was using the term inheritance and meaning reward?

Archived