• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Star Wars Or Star Trek?

Star Wars or Star Trek?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Star Wars or Star Trek?

• I like Star Wars
    • I Like Star Trek
    • I like Bunnies

• Members

Don't like bunnies.
They don't belong here.
Ruin our environment.
Take over from our native rodents and deplete their populations.
Fill the shops with coloured eggs for a few months each year.
Cause prOBlems for farmers with crops and livestock.
Even cause issues for roos by competing for feed.

Never eaten one, so I can't comment on whether or not I like them on a plate. :lol:

• Members

I watched a program earlier this year about that very prOBlem. It was very interesting. One Aussie was using snakes to catch the bunnies. He would go out and catch some snakes, place a net over a rabbit hole, drop the snakes in other rabbit holes and wait for the fleeing bunny to hit the net while making his escape from the snake infested tunnel.

• Members

I was going to vote Star Trek until I saw the bunny option.  We used to raise bunnies and sell them as pets, until two pit bulls got into our barn and killed them :(  I find some of your attitudes toward bunnies (the eating ones) disturbing....  except for DaveW, I completely understand where he is coming from.  Anytime you introduce an animal into an environment where it has no natural predator you are messing things up. 

• Members

Agreed with trapperhoney about the attitude folks have when bunnies are mentioned. I'm sure they taste all kinds of wonderful and the fur can be used in many useful ways, but it can be a bit much at times, overkill if you will. When I worked at Walmart I would be chatting with coworkers during break time and a few times the pet subject came up and I would mention I had two pet rabbits that lived indoors, I was basically mocked for it (but not mocked for having indoor dogs. huh). They would say things like "the only things a rabbit is good for is fur and meat, they aren't meant to be pets." So I rarely ever brought it up unless asked directly, which they would do when they felt like making a big deal out of going rabbit hunting. (I am not against ethical hunting) Fortunately here on OB it's been light and I doubt anybody is mocking choice of pets, but sometimes the teasing does edge into not funny territory. 

Australia could look into beaming all those unwanted rabbits up onto a Klingon ship and see if they hate Klingons as much as tribbles do.... Although, they might take over the ship and find an entire planet to colonize... uh oh... 

• Members

I had some pet rabbits as a child. They make fun pets, are generally clean and not much trouble. I can only speak for myself, but I don't mean any teasing or offense towards bunny lovers when I mention them as food. A bunny that is a pet, is just that, a pet, and not something I would even consider as food.

When I was younger much of our meat came from hunting, and this did include rabbits, but also squirrels, quail, pheasant, deer and others. As well as a good amount of meat from fishing.

I've not been hunting for some years now, since my Dad is unable to go and it's not a necessity for food right now, I don't hunt.

• Members

Personally, I guess I have never thought of a rabbit as a pet, anymore than I would think of a deer, elk, bear, antelope. or even a cow as a pet.  It must be a Pacific Northwest thing. Rabbits are a source of food and fur only, in my mind.  Please forgive me if I have offended anyone who keeps rabbits or other traditionally "food" animals as pets.  I don't mean to imply that I want to eat your "Fluffy" or whatever you name your pet rabbit.   There is a reason God created rabbits with an extraordinary ability to reproduce on a massive scale like...well...rabbits.  

If someone owns a pot bellied pig for a pet, please forgive me for wanting some bacon right now for breakfast...

I guess I would make a lousy Jew since the "hare" was unclean...

Leviticus 11:6 (KJV)
6  And the hare, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you. 

Bro. Garry

Edited by 2bLikeJesus

• Moderators

Here's some bunny trivia, since their unclean nature is mentioned: Does anyone know who rabbits chew cud? Many people use this as a reason to discount the veracity of the Bible, but I can assure you, they DO chew cud. I will leave that open for guesses.

As for SW/ST, while I said above I'd like a crossover, (and have even put together the germination of a story and method for it in my head), of the two, I always likes Star Wars more. I knwothe force began as a mystical force, somewhat analogous to God, but then the prequels came out, and while Anakin was supposedly made by the force and born to a virgin, CLEARLY a blasphemous mocking of the birth of Christ, that was kind of softened when the force was basically reduced down to some kind of germ or bacteria, of which some have more and some have less. And of course, then how it could have properties to impregnate a woman is unanswered, is kind of a cop-out. Is it an intelligence? Is it just a virus of some sort? Who knows? I think they blew it with the whole 'midichlorians' thing as well as the virgin birth of the scourge of the universe.   I am interested to see how Episode 7 comes out-I understand they are using more practical effects and make-up, more like the original three, than CGI like the prequels, and are really listening to the fans, so maybe we'll get something interesting. And hopefully less blasphemous?

• Members

I'm sure you meant "do you know how rabbits chew cud?" Answer: why yes I do know and it's disgusting!  :coverlaugh:  There's a reason why I always pushed my rabbit off the bed when he tried to lick my face in the morning. yuck.  :blink:

I haven't seen any of the Star Wars prequels, I might see Episode 7, though, just because it's a continuation of the older movies. 

• Moderators

I'm sure you meant "do you know how rabbits chew cud?" Answer: why yes I do know and it's disgusting!  :coverlaugh:  There's a reason why I always pushed my rabbit off the bed when he tried to lick my face in the morning. yuck.  :blink:

I haven't seen any of the Star Wars prequels, I might see Episode 7, though, just because it's a continuation of the older movies. 

Yay! A big "no-prize" for Li! You get it.  

And yes, I did mean to say 'How".

• Members

I only watched Star Trek intermittently as a kid. I was always outside playing in the real world. I’ve never seen any of the Star Trek movies and never watched a single episode of the Next Generation.

My oldest daughter saw the Star Wars series at the library a couple years back and since a friend of hers always spoke highly of them we took out all six movies and watched them in chronological order (a marathon kinda thing). That was the first time I saw any of those and they were okay. I did not put too much thought into the “force” thing or any of the other non-Christian elements because as I see it, if you’re going into the Sci-Fi (or Science Fantasy) realm you are pretty much already walking on the “dark side” and should expect little to nothing to support the Bible. Having said all that, Star Wars was okay, but it may take me another 35 years before I see the “new” Episode 7.

I do like rabbit. Especially when its prepared like southern fried chicken. It’s easier to spit out the bones than the other two options too, so bunnies are my choice.

• Administrators

I had rabbit gravy once in college and liked it pretty well.  We don't normally eat rabbit, though.  In past years, there's been a bunny that's lived under our shed. We would see it often every summer.  When our granddog was visiting, she wanted to get at it so badly.  It would sit right outside the area her chain would reach.  It was really funny to watch.  We haven't seen it at all lately. Don't know what happened to it.

The thing about the Force in Star Wars....

I don't know if any of you have noticed or not, but it seems de riguer to refer to the universe as being the "force" now.  As in:  "The universe is sending me a message," etc.  Books are becoming notorious for using the term universe in place of God, as are many tv shows.

The "force", "karma," evolution, etc, are all contributing to the idea that there is no God, just something nebulous out there...

That isn't the reason I don't care for Star Wars, because as was mentioned, Star Trek has its own prOBlems.  But I did like the original. Not so much the "sequels."

BTW, John, I think tribbles were space bunnies.   :nuts:  (actually, I have no idea...and I didn't like that episode at all)