• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Star Wars Or Star Trek?

Star Wars or Star Trek?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Star Wars or Star Trek?

• I like Star Wars
    • I Like Star Trek
    • I like Bunnies

• Members

Star Trek for sure.

I don't like the concept of "using the force" by corraling the natural forces of nature surrounding us (sounds to much like what the wiccan believe) to battle an evil being/system, as in Star Wars.  Even in the Star Wars movie one of the emperors officers lashed out and mocked Darth Vader's "sad devotion to that ancient religion" (Darth Vader used the "force" to strangle him, after saying he found his "lack of faith disturbing", until he was commanded to "release him")

Star Trek uses advanced technology and an usually solid moral compass to overcome encounters with other worlds or beings.  Even the beings are often not portrayed as inherently evil, but simply alien and naturally defending our intrusion into their world and culture, or they are simply "criminal" individuals.  

I do like bunnies though..especially fricasseed or braised, or an excellent Hosenpfeffer (rabbit stew).  

Bro.  Garry

Edited by 2bLikeJesus

• Members

I was gonna vote Star Trek until I noticed the option for bunnies. 

The only thing I like about Star Wars are the light sabers and Darth Vaders theme song. The story line was all over the place and most of the main characters weren't very likable. Chewbacca had some compelling lines though.

• Members

Star Trek for sure.

I don't like the concept of "using the force" by corraling the natural forces of nature surrounding us (sounds to much like what the wiccan believe) to battle an evil being/system, as in Star Wars.  Even in the Star Wars movie one of the emperors officers lashed out and mocked Darth Vader's "sad devotion to that ancient religion" (Darth Vader used the "force" to strangle him, after saying he found his "lack of faith disturbing", until he was commanded to "release him")

Star Trek uses advanced technology and an usually solid moral compass to overcome encounters with other worlds or beings.  Even the beings are often not portrayed as inherently evil, but simply alien and naturally defending our intrusion into their world and culture, or they are simply "criminal" individuals.  

I do like bunnies though..especially fricasseed or braised, or an excellent Hosenpfeffer (rabbit stew).  

Bro.  Garry

If we're gonna go down the how sacreligious route then Star Trek prOBably loses in my opinion. Star Wars was at least fairly noncommital about the nature of the force thingy and was silent about origins. Star Trek was explicit: in a Next Generation episode the audience learns that humans, klingons and a few of the other regularly featured aliens are products of an antecedent (and now extinct) alien race that planted DNA on everyone's home worlds billions of years ago.

Star Trek still wins, though, because of the fantastic trilogy of the second, third and fourth films (way better than the other trekky films and the TV series). The scene where Spock saves the ship at the end of Wrath of Khan--wow!

Never had rabbits but always wanted to see a Flemish Giant.

efe8124ae201841b7947577b431d492c.jpg

• Members

The TV show and movies all contain their prOBlems I loved watching Star Trek as a child/youth. Eagerly looked forward to the new (then) Star Trek movie but was disappointed. The second (Wrath of Khan) was much better.

Yet watching the TV series or the movies now it's hard not to be bothered by the references to there being no God, science and humanity being the answer to all things, and the many liberal and PC things that weave throughout. Interesting that I didn't pick up on that stuff as a child/youth, but no doubt it was implanted in my mind at that time.

Star Wars does have that "force" prOBlem, which is akin to those religions which say "god" is in everything, a part of everything, the source of everything. Naturally they have the evil concept, which is also a part of the "force", or "god" of that Star Wars world. So does that make "the force" bi-polar or what?

While Star Trek came from an era when science and space exploration were to be the ultimate salvation of man, and therefore glorifies these in such manner; Star Wars takes the approach that while science and technology have their place, it's the old ways and simple things that eventually triumph. Thus we see "ancient religion" rising up and we see the little Ewoks (or whatever they are called) with their primitive simplicity able to outwit and combat the technologically advanced Evil Empire.

There is entertainment in both franchises and plenty for one to like and dislike.

I prefer Captain Kirk over Picard. Picard never seemed to fit the part, and the first time I ever saw Next Generation I at first thought the guy Frakes played was the Captain!

These days I don't watch much TV or many movies but when I was younger I watched a lot of both.

Bunnies I really like. They are fun to watch, fun to have as a pet, fun to hunt and great eating when fried.